All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:59 pm 

Blog: View Blog (10)

I had an idea today, everyone.

so I watched the first episode of red band society... and well, I got to thinking. for years, I've just wanted a support group. a place where kids can stop pretending that they're doing just dandy around school, trudging day in and day out... lost and in need of someone to talk to. I always thought: wouldn't it be great if there was a group where you could all come in, sit down, hang out, and just let your problems go? maybe not every meeting would be about problems. maybe we could have a movie day, or a game day, or a 'let's plan a trip somewhere to walk and talk' day. random little things to get together, but have that chance to sit down, and let people know how you're feeling, and maybe give advise to them... and get advice yourself. because people aren't alone like they think they are, and people can make a difference. my school has a redefining beautiful club, but it's only for girls... and for their appearance problems. but it's so small, not many people seem to notice it, and what about the guys of the school? what do they get?

so what if... somehow... I managed to start a group like that? our own red band society? except it isn't just for kids dealing with medical issues, it could be for depression, for whatever the reason you're feeling down... if you feel alone and just need a friend... I don't know. I just really like the idea of an actual, friendly support group... if someone feels they can't talk to their friends, or talk to their family. I know I can't. nor to the school counselors. some things just can't happen, the way a lot of people think they will.

what do you guys think? should I consider starting it?

Last edited by DayDreamer~ on Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:26 pm 

Owner

Medals: 14
Villain of the Month (2) Original Character (1)
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

I think that at times everyone needs some kind of support that can't always be gained from family. So, a support group could definitely be a good thing that would help a lot more people than you realize.

"Any fool can write. It takes a genius to read"~Dadsky.
"Draco didn’t listen, so Hermione shut him down the best way she knew how"......"She set that ****ing on fire."
"Ausan: She's beauty, She's grace, She'll punch you in the face"~Smexy Awesome Fossil
Like Gaming? Want to Game with me? Or even just show your support? Check out my Twitch Channel!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:09 am 

Medals: 6
Best Couple (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Supporter (3) Contest Winner (1)
Blog: View Blog (6)

I think that's an excellent plan.

When I was in high school, for the better part of it, I was struggling over the loss of the only girl I'd ever had feelings for. It's really easy to forget that there are people who care about you around, because they aren't always talking about these subjects. To have friends is to have people who care for you, but to share with the isn't always an easy thing.

If you started a club like this, I think you could save people from a lot of torment. As you said, talking to friends isn't always easy. You may not feel comfortable or not want them to know. School counselors are the same, as it's easy to think they really don't care, they're just getting paid.

I don't hear about clubs like this often, sure, there's Gay/Straight alliances, which I think can be important for people who feel judged in that area. But otherwise, a community for people like that? I honestly think that's a brilliant idea. I don't think you should just consider it, Day, I think you should pursue it as much as you can. Because in the end you're gonna feel great for bringing people together to help one another through tough times.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:01 am 

Thanks so much, Met and Eferhilda.

I've been visualizing something like this ever since middle school, to be honest. But middle school was such a bad time, and only now am I beginning to fight back against my own depression. And only now am I realizing the significance of something like anonymous friends to back me up while I help back them up in the process. Sure, the school has assemblies every now and then about violence or drug abuse or whatever... but you know, there doesn't seem to be year-round full support. You don't know who you can talk to in the school. Counselors do seem like they're only there to get paid, because half an hour later and they try forcing you back to class then e-mail a parent. Even my own mom said 'They aren't there as emotional counselor's, they're mostly there for schedules and school stuff.'

People don't even have to talk about their issues at the meetings, if they don't want to. They can leave a note upon entry, and we could read the notes aloud and give the anonymous person advice, whoever he or she is in the room. That keeps things easier, since even I have trouble talking sometimes. Maybe we could even do mini-projects like a quote project or whatever else, like give presents around Christmas break, haha.

Met, I think you just pushed me over the 'Should I?' mark and into the 'Get Started' stage. So thank you for that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:28 pm 

Dreamer, this is a wonderful, brilliant idea.
I'm in school for psychology with an interest in treating depression, and I really think your group could not only help with that, but also be a way to stop depression before it really starts.

Your ideas are beautiful, particularly the anonymous notes. That was absolutely inspired. I can't tell you how glad I am that someone out there has a heart big enough to do something like this; and I wish you nothing but the best should you go through with it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:04 pm 

Thank you for the response, Neko (=

That makes about ten votes now, haha. All signs point to yes. Hopefully I can get the same reactions out of my friends at school, and perhaps even from teachers. I'll need to gather supporters, of course, because without a certain number of people at school you can't start a group. At the same time, I'm hoping it's not too late to start D:

I've got to planning, setting up basic information about what things would look like and how things would work. Of course, that is subject to change as trial and error starts, if I can get this thing started. Trying to think of what questions people might ask about it...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:54 pm 

College is blah

Medals: 2
Completed RP (2)

Go for it!! That plan sounds like the best thing I've heard of in a while... I'll be apart of that!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=48075
My Character's
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45307

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:02 pm 

I like the idea; seems like a good way to help people. I really wish my high school had had something like that when I was there: wish I could find a group like that now. Sometimes it's just nice to have unbiased opinions on how you should handle things. I hope it all works out for you~