All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favourite TV shows?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:42 pm 

Blog: View Blog (1)

TV shows have only been getting better with time, and I think we're in a golden age right now where some TV shows are better than Movies. So I'm wondering, what are everyone's favourite TV shows (present or past)? I'm asking because I'm curious, and I'm looking to discover something new.

My favourite TV shows are:

Battlestar Galactica
Firefly
Lost
Jericho
The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Reboot (from my childhood)

I also watched all of Breaking Bad, but I don't consider it my favourite. I enjoyed it, but it lacked something for me.

Take a look at My Resume

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Favourite TV shows?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:44 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Hmm... I'd say, to stay in the recent ones:

Mad Men
Being Human (UK)
Coupling (UK)
Friends

Can't think of any others right now, but I'm sure there are more, I just have to remember.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:26 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Depends if you count Anime or not....

Anime
Madoka
FMA
Nanoha

Live Action
Sherlock!
Doctor Who
Merlin
Murdoch Mysteries (Obscure Canadian show)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:30 pm 

Oh yeah I forgot about Sherlock. What an awesome show. It's one of my favourites as well. Though I guess it's more of a mini series/TV show?

Not a fan of Murdoch Mysteries though. :S

Friends is a classic.

And I've been hoping to get into some Anime.

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:45 am 

I don't watch a lot of TV but when I do I tend to watch:

-Murdoch Mysteries
-Criminal Minds
-CSI
-Duck Dynasty
-Monk (when it used to be on earlier)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:17 am 

Medals: 1
Longest RP (1)

-Darkwing Duck
-DuckTales
-Justice League
-Batman: The Animated Series
-The first five minutes of every CSI: Miami episode
-Psych
-The Colbert Report
-Samurai Jack
-Star Trek: The Next Generation
-Jim Cramer's Mad Money
-Monty Python's Flying Circus
-Suits
-Top Gear UK

If you're looking for anime series:
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (The Stardust Crusaders arc premiers tomorrow. MAXIMUM HYPE.)
-Samurai Flamenco
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
-Mobile Suit Gundam
-Mobile Suit Gundam Wing + Endless Waltz
-Gundam Build Fighters
-G Gundam
-Space Dandy
-Cromartie High School
-Legend of the Galactic Heroes
-Space Runaway Ideon
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Tonari no Seki-kun
-Haiyore! Nyaruko-san if you enjoy HP Lovecraft
-Cowboy Bebop
-The Big O
-Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
-Puella Magi Madoka Magica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:53 am 

I'm going to put this out here: I think TV shows today are dreadful. They tend to put me on a really bad mood, because they make no sense, or the acting is not good enough, or everybody is everyone's brother or sister... Well, you get it. :D Also, everyone watches them, and I'm sort of a reverse hipster; I do things when they've long gone out of fashion. So take Game of Thrones or Walking Dead. I tried them, I dislike them now, but in like six years or something when the hype is gone, I'll be watching them. :D As for movies, it's the opposite, I have to see everything first and prefer them over TV series.

ANYWAY. What do I watch, then?

America's Next Top Model. My ultimate favorite. Don't you dare bother me when I watch ANTM. *rawr*
Recently finished Gossip Girl once the hype was over. Terrible show. Why did I waste my time on it? Oh, because Chuck Bass and the clothing the girls wear!

What I want to watch now that the hype is over is Sex and the City. Hehe. He! I love drama, in case you didn't notice.

I have this thing with Asian drama series, particularly Japanese or Korean series:
Rooftop Prince
My Love From Another Star (this mean celebrity model woman falls in love with a cold and smart handsome guy who's actually an alien, HAHA, I know, plot is so awesome...)
1 Liter of Tears
Beautiful Neighbor
Saki
Life
Absolute Boyfriend (I so want an RP of this!!)
My Girlfriend is a Ninetailed Fox (hahaha... haha, you should watch it)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:25 pm 

Shendelzhare, TV shows today are dreadful!? !grr You did not just say that! Blasphemy! Sorry Shendelzhare but we can't be RP partners/friends anymore. No, no no no, this won't do. :P In all seriousness, I just find compared to TV of the past, it's never been this good. Sure a lot of them are depressing (part of the reason I disliked Breaking Bad from time to time), but I feel they really do rival movies these days. I guess because I studied movies and media, I just find a lot of modern day movies have no substance to them and they follow the same formula. I can see right through them. The big production TV shows from AMC, HBO, etc. break that formula. There's an unpredictability, and you have more time to get attached to the characters and world, like a good book series.

As for reverse hipsters? You're strange... ;)

My Girlfriend is a Ninetailed Fox sounds funny. I'll look those titles up. :)

Specious, great list you have there. I'm a big fan of Batman the animated series, I grew up watching that and Spiderman. I also love Samurai Jack, a slow but satisfying show. Plus my friends keep telling me to watch Gundam, which I'm curious about.

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:37 am 

Oh noooo! Really though, you're gonna let TV series ruin this great thing we have going? I DON'T THINK SO!

Anyway, I have to agree on most films today that come from Hollywood. They are crap. But those are not the only films that are made, and if you dig enough and look elsewhere you can find true gems that I personally think no TV series will match. With me, I also hate having to watch the same issues episode, after episode, after episode... sometimes I feel like characters aren't even trying to resolve them. I lose my patience. Hence, movies fit my attention span better, but even with movies I am very picky. A lot of the things that people find magnificent, well, I don't like them. Call me weird, and you'd be completely right. :)

I think part of the dislike also comes from the fact that everyone around me watches these big super popular series and scold me for not watching them together with them. I've never quite had the patience or interest. And I've never hyped for a new episode or season. Only thing I'm hyping for now is the new Star Wars saga, which BETTER be good or I'll be angry and sue Disney. :D

I think this Youtube channel shows very well how my mind works when I watch movies or TV series. Here's their take on the Return of the King for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQyn4AkkGHg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:57 am 

Oh fine, I'll let this slide. We can still RP together. ;)

I guess that's where we differ. I like having a long TV series to follow, because it's something that continues. With a great movie I want more, but have to wait. It obviously depends on the show, but I like when there is one large story arch with several small ones that don't get resolved in just one episode (like an episodic tv show), but in 2-3 episodes. Battlestar was known for this, they always had a large half season story arc, with small ones that resolved in 2-3 episodes, with the obvious over-all story arch of trying to find earth and survive. When it's well written it feels fresh, new, and different; it doesn't feel like it drags, at least for me. I feel there's a bigger connection to the story, world and characters because of that. But it's okay, I forgive you. You're lucky I like weird people. :)

As for hyping, I agree. While I do get giddy and geeky with my favourite TV shows (and movies), I hate when people pressure me and scold me to watch something. My best friend and his GF are always scolding me for not watching Dr. Who or Dexter because it's their FAVOURITE shows, yet I have no interest. And yes, I'm hyping about the new Star Wars, and I'm a fan of JJ Abrams. :)

As for the video... you must be fun to watch movies with... :P

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:51 pm 

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.
Medals: 8
Dedicated Partner (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (15)

Alright, favorite shows! Anything with "**" next to it, I'm following currently avidly. If it has "*", I watch sporadically. And those without have either ended, I used to watch regularly:

• Being Human (UK)
  • Almost Human
  • Pramface
  • Hannibal **
  • The Vampire Diaries **
  • Helix *
  • RuPaul's Drag Race **
  • Kitchen Nightmares (UK & US)
  • Masterchef
  • America's Next Top Model
  • Face-Off *
  • Psych
  • White Collar
  • Nikita

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:03 am 

Good list Asteria. I'm very much into Almost Human right now. I'm a bit tired of the crime mystery show. But when it has a nice sci-fi twist like this it works so well. Plus the relationship between Carl Urban and his android partner is golden.

Masterchef is one of the only reality show competitions I watch.

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:45 am 
Savior

Medals: 5
Funniest Member (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Supporter (2)

CJWrites wrote:
Murdoch Mysteries (Obscure Canadian show)

Woo! Another one who likes Murdoch. I'm on watching the sixth season now and I love it.

Other shows I like, hm...

-Game of Thrones (of course
-One Piece
-True Blood... kinda... I liked the first couple of seasons then I started to realize the show has no idea what it's trying to be. Also I hate every vampire character, so I ended up cheering for the seasonal villains.
- Columbo.
- QI.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel (okay, it's old, but I still think it's good).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:38 pm 

Wow.... so many people like Murdoch... 4 people now? I never knew it was that popular....

And wait until you see the season 7 cliffie >_<

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:00 pm 

Yeah I'm actually surprised about Murdoch. It just feels kind of obscure whenever I see it on. I've never been interested.

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:24 pm 

It's so hard to remember all my past old favourite tv shows. But I certainly agree that we live in an age where tv shows have become exceptional. In the past I was never much of a television person but recently I can't get enough of it. Some of my current favourites are:

In the Flesh
Sherlock
Bates Motel
Game of Thrones (also reading the books at present)
Being Human (UK), although I'm not up to date on this show due to issues with Canadian Netflix as it was on there for a short while and then vanished.

I have read the comics for Walking Dead since before the show started and keep meaning to watch the show and just never getting around to it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:46 pm 

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)

Arrow,TWD, Revenge, Crisis, NCIS

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:10 pm 

Sparkley- I have the GoT books and plan on reading them, but I've been hesitant. I want to read something that is fresh and new, but I'm worried it's exactly like the TV show... is it any different? Is it worth reading if I've seen the show twice already (except for the recent season)?

Nice DJ, I'm a fan of Arrow.

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:52 pm 

@ Corrin - They did a surprisingly accurate job of depicting the story in the series actually. They have so far included every important event and added a few small scenes to clarify situations that couldn't be otherwise expressed.
Trying to avoid spoilers for people whom have NOT read this but: The only thing you gain by reading the books if you've seen the series to date is that you would have a deeper understanding of the characters and situations. Some things are not as obvious in the series (like Arya being the 'ghost in Harrenhal') and I find some characters are lacking from it (Oberyn Martell is much a more likable and 3d character in the books. He was disappointingly lack luster in the show). Or small things like when Dany got burned in the fire her HAIR was also burned off. When it began to grow in she would braid it and adorn it with bells in honor of Drogo but they didn't include that. So the differences are small things like that.
Small added conversations between characters that never happened in the books are in the shows as well to try and flesh up a character. It's a lot of the internal struggles of each character you really miss out.

SO you wouldn't be getting something fresh and new, just a deeper look into some of what you've seen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:23 am 

Alright so I'll wait a bit then, so that when I get the itch to revisit the show, I'll tackle the books instead.

Thanks!

Take a look at My Resume