All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:10 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Welcome to the world of Pokemon: The Very Best!

Good to know that there are some people out there who share my interest in nonsense and hijinks. As far as how this rp will actually work, of course, there are some simple mechanical problems with how to codify the Pokemon experience. The games involve lots of running around through grass and the like, and the shows tend to miss out on the mechanical nonsense and don't leave as much room for open fun as the games. I'd also like to combine at least a little bit of realism into it, just enough to highlight how zany the whole damn thing really is. As such, I submit this concept to the floor:

-We begin in Kanto/Johnto/Hoenn as however many young trainers who have just blitzed, and defeated, the first gym leader. Finding that we're all out to kick ass, take names, make pokemon happy or whatever it is that motivates us, we exchange phone numbers and agree to meet and hang out on the road whenever we're handy. We'll say that we can start with four Pokemon at level 10 that you've acquired through whatever means--maybe you caught them, maybe you were given them, whatever, to accommodate for the fact that otherwise we'd all have goddamn pidgeys and weedles.

-We have a scene for every route, or perhaps just every major city or whatever, that's basically just us yukking it up over a campfire and chatting about what the hell has happened. Every time one of these scenes occurs, one pokemon raises 5 levels and the rest of your pokemon go up another 3 levels.

-Anyone can write addition poke-nonsense about some random exploit that happened during their travels. Maybe they saved a magicarp from a trainer picking on it for being so worthless. Maybe they smoked a bowl off a charmander's tail flame and lost their eyebrows. Whatever it is that they did, they can gain additional benefits for it to compensate for just how much of a nerd they must be to bother--5 levels to distribute as they want through their different pokemon, a new pokemon that they caught, an evolution stone, TM, whatever.

-If people want to battle between each other, they can set it up either through pms, or in another thread, or through chat, or however they want to do it, and at the end can submit it to the group, who can vote on which side gets a 5 level reward and which side gets 3. It's not just who won, it's who caters to the group and is most entertaining.

-We'll occasionally break this up with random gym leaders and the like, nonsense happenings that we all (or however many of us are around) still happen to be there for, and there'll be some reward for those to.

I pretty literally just thought that up off the top of my head, but it seemed like an entertaining way to allow for some level grinding, evolution and expansion and still keeping it a fun and interactive rp. If anyone else has suggestions, comments or criticism, feel free to post it. I'll throw up a call for character sheets once we have an idea of what we're doing.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:38 pm 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)

[meme warning] My body is ready! [end meme warning]

I really like this little idea you've got going on here. Definitely adds a sense of adventure and is completely different compared to some of the Pokemon rps I've done in the past. I'm liking the game idea, level grinding and what not (even if we all hate grinding) since it seems like it will definitely be challenging.

I have a few random ideas, that being said, but I'll wait until this gets some more input.

I do have a few (kind of obvious) questions though:

-Will lengendaries be forbidden to be captured and only encountered during certain events (kind of like the older anime seasons and movies)?
- Is having 4 Pokemon going to be the limit or shall 6 be allowed in the end?
- Does the 4 move restriction still apply in battles, namely pvp?
- Since you mentioned only 3 regions, will Unova and Sinnoh be excluded?
- How will the levelling up occur in terms of exp and such?
- Will there be contests/tournaments and such?

Just to have something to start XD

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:22 pm 

In the proposed system, I offer the following as answers:

-Legendaries would definately be forbidden/event only pokemon, as would most other unique/semi-precious pokemon or whatever.

-You can have more than 4 pokemon, you just have to write something to capture a new one and levels aren't automatic.

-PP being abstracted, as in some moves are just harder to pull off again and again. Some abstraction will obviously have to take place in battle, as pokemon aren't just sitting there taking turns punching each other in the face, and I figure pp will just become a natural part of that--some moves are just more taxing, or harder to use over and over again or whatever. I would suggest that the 4 move limit be included, just on grounds of making things less complicated and so we don't have people running around with every move they ever could have known. Not to mention the poor move tutor!

-I only mentioned 3 regions mostly because those are the ones that I'm most familiar with--I skipped over playing in Sinnoh and I'm currently working my way through Unova, and I feel like most people will probably be more Kanto/Johto aware than any of the others, but that's just personal preference. As far as I'm concerned, we can put it to a vote--or work our way through as the rp goes on!

-I was just not going to touch the whole exp thing and leave it as a flat 'gain levels for writing ****' kinda deal, mostly because otherwise we'd have to figure out word counts or such nonsense and I think that's obnoxious. If we wanted there to be further system involved, we could have people vote on how many levels a piece should receive instead of just making it flat for making one.

-Contests and tournaments could be worked through as special events that crop up here and there with various prizes and other such nonsense awarded to victors. Seems the easiest way to include those.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:49 am 

Administrator

Alrighty then, sounds reasonable enough to me anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:15 pm 
World Manager

Medals: 1
Supporter (1)

Are we allowed to fit in with some of the funkier archetypes with the series? I'd much dig being a professor's assistant that's traveling with the group, for example.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:49 pm 

Don't see why not! Hell, as far as I'm concerned people can model themselves on a kind of trainer if they like, there's certainly plenty of them around.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:33 pm 
World Manager

Supporter (1)

Splendid; I might get to work on that shortly. Are we having anyone play the requisite team rocket members, or region-specific team rocket equivalent?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:59 pm 

I figured I'd probably just NPC all that, but if someone wants to volunteer to run an event or two then by all means. Figure we'll throw those in at specific moments.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:53 am 

Sweet! !kawaii I can't wait to get this under-way. I know I personally am not familiar with any of the pokemon from the Univa(sp) region and would just prefer Kanto and Joto. I'm wondering if we shouldn't form some profiles and maybe figure out who is what in the group or if we're all even in the same group. I suppose we could also try a pokemon Mystery dungeon kind of game as well where we're actually the pokemon and do battle with other pokemon that we come accross. Kind of like D&D, only with pokemon. I am most definately not trying to take control of the rp, but thought I'd throw some stuff out there to get the ball rolling.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:48 pm 

I really like the idea :) Though I may have to go and rework my writing skills for this XD If I can join up in this I really would love to. The first three regions sounds like a good idea since those were amoung my favorite generations of Pokemon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:23 am 
World Manager

Supporter (1)

Alright, I've a friend who's considering popping into this to actually play a pokemon that might be on my team.

I know y'all are thinking to limit this to maybe the first three, but I liked the idea of my fella perhaps having come from a later region, perhaps Unova, a professor's assistant in the region to collect more pokemon for study and to observe the different training styles in the area. He might also figure that, while he's here, he might pick up a few badges while he travels the routes, yeah?

I've got a couple later-region pokemon that are of interest to me that I'm linin' up for a team in the meantime. Really stoked about this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:02 pm 

Alright! Sorry about the wait everyone, it's been a hell of a week for me but let's get this ball rolling. For starters, let's churn out something like a characters sheet, shall we? There are a few sections here that might not be self-explanatory, or might need an addendum, which I've added.

Another optional rule, 'cause it seems like there should be benefits to adhering to a specific sort of character: If you're willing to adhere to a class of trainer, which tends to mean using pokemon of only a specific sort and the like, then all of your pokemon can start at 1 level higher. In addition, any training done to benefit a pokemon of your trainer type nets them an additional level as a bonus. The mediating factor, of course, being that what kinds of pokemon you have access to are somewhat limited. Obviously some of the listed classes are off-limits, especially if they try and combat the weakness of limiting to a type, but otherwise it should be fine.

As far as what pokemon you may select as your starting pokemon:
-No pokemon that are unique/legendary, largely as determined by me and influenced by group consensus. In general, there should be an explanation as to how you received the pokemon you have.
-Only one 'starter' pokemon. Doesn't matter from what region you pick it from, if you grab one from any that's all you get to begin with.
-Pokemon from all regions are available. An explanation, however, should be offered in the 'aquired' section as to how they were gained. Doesn't have to be tremendous, and could just be as simple as 'moved from unova' or whatever, but just give us an idea how you happen to have 'em.

If you've got a problem with a pokemon someone has, pm me and I'll ask them to provide an explanation/perhaps a write-up to gain their selection if you're not just being a tool. If you've a problem with a pokemon I have for whatever reason, I'll pm you one and you can decide if it's legit or not.

In general, that's how I'm planning on dealing with most problems that come up in the game. As creator of this nonsense I've got the final say, but I intend to use group consensus as often as possible. Expect things to be needlessly formal, since if I CAN throw up a poll or whatever I probably will since I like using available resources beyond what's necessary. I'm planning on throwing up a thread with characters for this thing and keeping it as updated as possible; I might also make a thread where submissions for additional benefits go. When something needs to be changed on your sheet, pm me what you'd like altered with a link to the writing you did to earn it and I'll update it for you/throw it up for a vote if necessary. Sounds legit to everyone?

Character Sheets:
Character:
Name:
Appearance:

Personality: Include your motivation as a trainer, if you will, as it's one of those things stressed in the games and the like.
Brief Backstory:
Equipment: We will assume that everyone has access to a reliable source of normal pokeballs, and carries a pair of potions with them. When/if you decide to write for additional items, they'll be listed here.

Team:
Name:
Species:
Level: 10
Personality:
Notable Characteristics:
Known Moves:
Acquired:

Pokemon 2:
Name:
Species:
Personality:
Notable Characteristics:
Known Moves:
Acquired:

Pokemon 3:
Name:
Species:
Personality:
Notable Characteristics:
Known Moves:
Acquired:

Pokemon 4:
Name:
Species:
Personality:
Notable Characteristics:
Known Moves:
Acquired:

Also, Maccus: if your friend is interested in playing an actual pokemon on your team that's cool, but I'm not quite sure how to balance that yet. Perhaps make it so that in order to distribute levels to it, you and he have to do a collaboration for it? Not sure yet, if you've any suggestions or if anyone else has a good idea let me know. If you want to have it done pro-bono, on the other hand, then by all means.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:23 am 

Name: Petra (spectra) Rumintov
(I'm a trainer with no class RIMSHOT!)
Appearance:
Personality: Spectra is an intellectual and enthusiastic trainer with a bit of a loony streak. She can be rather dark in her musings, but isn't the sort to brood unless the day calls for it. She takes several interests, which is how she became involved with Pokemon in the first place. Though she wonders why they are compelled to fight, or rather, promted to do so, she does train with them in something of their select skills, (par example: Misdreavus- mysticism, Oddish- gardening and herbological persuits) She finds this to be not only a bonding experience for her and her pokemon, but one of great mental stimulation.

On a more negative train of thought, sometimes she can be hyper-curious and her fuse is a little shorter than one might expect in a scholar.
Brief Backstory:
Petra grew up in a home that wasn't very encouraging of outside persuits, particularly Pokemon battles. Her mother even deemed them an unfair and cruel bloodsport. For a while, this was how Petra saw them as well. Until she met Master David, whose passionate and caring relationship with his pokemon inspired her to study the spectacle at his "gym", which was technically not certified, but mroe of a public rec-center that dealt in pokemon care and battling. It was from there she began her journey.

Her first capture was a rather unconventional one. In fact, it was more of an accident. Petra, while not too far from her home town, was caught in a severe thunderstorm and was forced- nay- had the privalage to take shelter in an abandoned house. The place was fairly large but in extreme disrepair. It was there that she discovered a large congragation of ghost pokemon. Most of them either ignored her or attempted to taunt, trick and generally scare the hell out of her, but she was more astonished and "in love" than frightened.

Here, she met Ginger. A shiny Misdreavus who was relatively okay with her presance. She'd never seen a shiny pokemon before and heard that they were quite rare. So to find one tucked among the other ghostly monsters lurking in the shelter she'd chosen was a miraculum. By offering her last bit of bread and cheese she had in her napsack, she convinced Ginger to stick around and follow her on her way. Eventually the two of them bonded over their love of dark places, classical music and scaring people to death.

Ginger became an effective partner in the capture of a few new friends: an oddish, a torchic and a roselia.
Equipment: I'm really not sure... I haven't played the games enough to know...

Team:
Name: Ginger
Species: Shiny Misdreavus
Level: 17
Personality: The aggrivated motherly figure of the group. Since she is the most evolved pokemon on the team, the task of "raising" the others goes to her. She begrudgingly keeps them out of harms way and attempts to instruct them in life's labors. This is particularly difficult because none of them are her pokemon type and therefore don't experience life as she does. Not to mention she has very little patience. This is a trait that often times puts her in combative situations with Petra and others on her team.
Notable Characteristics:... she's shiny? I'd say that's pretty notable.
Known Moves:
Growl
Astonish
psywave
confuse ray

Pokemon 2:
Name:
Species: Oddish
Level: 15
Personality: Durpy... durpy... durpy A friendly little fellow, if not a little gullible.
Notable Characteristics: nothing physically special, but outside of battle he's a real space cadet.
Known Moves:
Absorb
Acid
Poison Powder
Stun spore
Acquired: in the Kanto region

Pokemon 3:
Name: Thomas the Torchic (yes, that is his full name)
Species:Torchic
Personality: An extremely childish, intantile and sometimes "bratty" little guy who would much prefer to play with toys than do anything else. (except maybe cuddle) When one manages to get him into a battle, he does develope focus and can lay down a fair fight. Thomas feels that he must be the center of Petra's world when he is out of the pokeball and becomes very jealous and aggressive when not payed attention to. Holding him seems to calm him significantly, but there have been times when Petra has become so fed- up that she'll put him down and walk away. This never goes for ery long as things tend to be burnt, scratched, pecked, ect.
Notable Characteristics: nothing physically unusual.
Known Moves:
ember
focus energy
scratch
growl
Acquired:

Pokemon 4:
Name: Rouge
Species: Roselia
Personality: Persistant but easily discouraged. Needs a lot of motivation because of her special condition. Not one to warm up quickly.
Notable Characteristics: Most Roselia are aproximately a foot tall, but Rogue is only 7ins.
Known Moves:
Absorb
poison sting
mega drain
stun spore
Acquired: Route 117 out of Johto region

Alright, sorry that's so long this far, but please let me know if I need to add or chance anything. I really wasn't sure what you meant by "aquired", but if you want me to write a blurb about how I captured each of them than please let me know and I'll go back and do that. I'm not very familiar with the game mechanics, having only played the card game and watched the show, so please be patient with me and I'll learn as quickly as possible.

Last edited by Applepoisoneer on Tue May 29, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:25 am 
World Manager

Supporter (1)

I see no need to like, earn more based on collaborating with him. We tend to collaborate on posts anyway, so some involving us might be from my trainer's perspective, or some might be from the pokemon he plays' perspective.

It's mostly for the fun of it, honestly. We have a blast working together.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:22 pm 

@Apple: No worries on the game mechanics thing, I'm certainly happy to help if you've any questions or anything, as I'm sure is everyone else. If you're looking for reference material and such, I pretty much just use bulbapedia. If you haven't found it already, it'll pretty much tell you everything you need to know about pokemon. Hats off to whoever made it, they were way more dedicated than I.

@Maccus: Good on you, bro. I'm a terrible bastard, so if I had that kind of thing afoot I'd be all 'so, can I get somethin' from this?' with some shifty eyes involved, but if you're in it for the fun then by all means!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:18 pm 

Administrator

Name: Samuel Dennis
Class: No specific category
Appearance: Five foot ten, dark brown hair, blue eyes. Usually wears a t-shirt and jeans, sneakers... his attire pretty much limits to just that.
Personality: Pretty courageous and headstrong, easily pleased and tries to keep a smile on his face even during hard times.
Brief Backstory: He never really expected to become a trainer, it just sort of happened one day. He lives in Mahogony Town with his uncle and aunt and has a fairly easy lifestyle. Sometimes he goes fishing with his uncle at the Lake of Rage and steers clear of the mountains whenever he decides to go out on a walk.

Now that he's a trainer, he strives to be 'the very best like no one ever was'

Equipment: Standard trainer esentials: pokeballs, PokeDex, potions, full heals, some berries.

Team:

Name: Serafine
Species: Flareon
Personality: Fairly gentle, steadfast, quite stubborn
Notable Characteristics: Small notch on her right ear and a scar just above her nose.
Known Moves: Fire Blast(via TM38, or so he thinks. Sammy's not quite keen on TMs), Bite, Tackle, Sand Attack
Acquired: This Flareon was the very Pokemon that inspired Samuel to be a trainer. Long story short (as it will be elaborated more in the rp) one day while he was visiting the PokeMart to run some errands, he noticed a trainer bragging about his collection of Eeveelutions and how he had a shiny Flareon and non shiny. Well this trainer also happened to be one of the top contest trainers in the Sinnoh Region and only wanted the best, feeling Pokemon were only meant to be shown off with fancy TM and breeding only moves (as well as leveling via rare candies... this guy was a rich ass needless to say)instead of partners to form a bond with. The trainer then proceeded to brag to his group of friends about how he had his Vaporeon attack the nonshiny Flareon and then dumped it off at the Poke Center for 'some other sorry loser to deal with.'

Angered by the trainer's attitude, Samuel forced himself to let it go.

Sure enough, when Samuel went to the Center the Flareon was still there. It wasn't really the fact that he wanted to be a trainer that he picked her up and decided to claim her as his own, giving her the name Serafine, but the fact she had been abandoned by someone who was supposed to be her friend. To this day he holds a resentment towards contest trainers, though he knows not all of them are like that idiot who abandoned a great Pokemon.

Last edited by Sound of Silence on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 pm 

Something I've noticed that I'd like to address so far among applicants:

The original intent of this was to follow the basic progression of the level system implemented in the gameboy games. Basically, your pokemon learns moves and evolves at specific levels, as dictated by it's movelist and such that you can look up via searching for it (I recommend bulbapedia), so that as you gain levels through writing nonsense your pokermans have a tangible change through the game. You'd start of by picking up to 4 attacks it would know before level 10 and gain/swap them out as your movelist dictates.

If all involved would prefer to make end game trainers instead, that works too--it just means that there isn't much progression from point A to B.

Also, are people just opting to only use three pokemon for fun? It doesn't matter to me, was just curious.

Last edited by Salieri on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:36 pm 
Savior

Medals: 5
Funniest Member (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Supporter (2)

Name: Odd
Appearance: A skinny, pale boy in non-matching clothes. He wears a giant straw hat that shades his back, whereupon his abra rests in a baby harness. He wears a Hawaiian shirt, long brown pants and one green and one purple sock.

Personality: Bit quiet and shy, but highly intelligent for his age. He can be aloof, and is unsure of how to make friends, as well as being a bit scared, perpetually, since he is just a young boy out in the big world all by himself, with monsters in potentially any stretch of grass. On a darker note, he can be a creepy child with little empathy, because of what the Hypno did to him in his backstory.

Brief backstory: Before he even got his first pokemon, Odd was lured away from his house by a wild Hypno. The Hypno kept him a prisoner for months, feeding on his dreams, and would have done so until it killed him, if an Abra had not found him and teleported them both away. The Abra is now his best friend, and he carries it with him everywhere. If Adam is scared the Abra can teleport him away, and this safety is the only thing allowing him to dare be a pokemon trainer. He would like to return home, but unfortunately the Hypno ate most of his background, and he no longer remembers his home town or his parents. He is only moderately sure of his own name, even.

Equipment: Quickclaw.

Name: Abra
Species: Abra
Personality: Zzzzzz
Notable Characteristics: Tough to say. Sleeps 24 hours a day, which is 6 hours more than your average Abra.
Known Moves: Teleport
Acquired: First pokemon.

Pokemon 2: Cubone
Name: Cubone
Species: Cubone
Level: 8
Personality: Headstrong (pun intended). Cubone likes to fight, and never minds the opponent. He does enjoy hurting his opponent a little too much, especially if the opponent seems stronger. Inferiority complex?
Notable Characteristics: Reckless.
Known Moves: Growl, Tail Whip, Bone Club
Acquired: Two days.

Last edited by TheRottenLeprechaun on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:59 pm 

Administrator

<-- Using Serebii like a boss~

Made a completely new char. If I must change the somewhat obvious thing because I couldn't help but be somewhat of a troll I will

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:50 pm 

Character:
Name: Lyra
Class: -None-
Appearance: She is 5'4", avarage build, tanned skin, brown hair that goes just below her shoulders, Bright blue eyes.

Personality: Generally she is a rather happy go lucky person. Always in a very good mood and hardly ever in a bad mood. She has one fear though and that is any kind of Pokemon that resembles a Spider.

Brief Backstory: Her mother and father both live in Goldenrod city, where she once lived too. Once she started on her Pokemon adventure she decided to go out on her own and actually live up to her promise she had made her Older brother who is out traveling, raising his pokemon and trying to go up against the Elite Four, though all badges first would be aquired. She had never really wanted to go out and travel and was content with her Pidgey and Houdour, both in which her brother had let her have.

One day Lyra and her two Pokemon decided to take a trip to Violet City and recieved a package from her brother of some Pokeballs. On her way home she ran into a Mareep and Ekans in which she captured and she had such fun doing that as did her own Pokemon and that was when she decided to start her own journey. So she decided to take the Magnet Train from Goldenrod City and head to Kanto to start her trip right at the begining in Pewter City and face Brock.

Also she loves bird Pokemon but despite that she just can't keep to that class as she tends to like most Pokemon.

Equipment: Aside from the normal she has: Cheri Berries x4, Pecha Berries x2, Oran Berry x3, Fishing Rod,

Team:
Name: Isra
Species: Pidgey
Personality/ Nature: Jolly
Notable Characteristics: Friendly
Known Moves:Tackle, Sand-Attack & Gust
Acquired: From her older brother.

Pokemon 2:
Name: Basil
Species: Ekans
Personality: Hasty
Notable Characteristics: Loves Food
Known Moves:Wrap, Leer, Poison Sting & Wrap
Acquired: Route 32

Pokemon 3:
Name: Jolty
Species: Mareep
Personality: Brave
Notable Characteristics: Has a Silk Scarf around her neck.
Known Moves: Thunder Shock, Tackle, Growl
Acquired: Route 32

Pokemon 4:
Name: Demois
Species: Houndour
Personality: Calm
Notable Characteristics: Wears a pair of Sunglasses since he likes the way it makes him look.
Known Moves: Leer, Ember, Howl & Smog
Acquired: From an Egg.

Last edited by Laetha on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.