All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Visual World- OOC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:25 pm 

lurking

Blog: View Blog (0)

You walk to school that day. Gorgeous hanging lanterns light up the streets and stoney sidewalks. Up above you crystals reflected light off the ceiling hundreds of feet above your city. It’s quiet but you hear the low rumble of bartering a block or so ahead. A wide entrance led into a large warehouse that sheltered dozens of vendors. You pass by the market and squeeze between a few carts people were pushing down the street. You remember that a lot of the food here lasts for a long time so people shop rarely but buy a lot when they do. You pass two woman standing next to the market. One shakes her head at the empty looking stands and mumbles, “Less and less,” to the lady next to her. The lady frowns and starts drawing different foods with red X’s through them on a chalkboard. Despite the depressing atmosphere you pay attention to the dazzling buildings made of stone and shiny copper. People pass you on bicycles and you recognize a few of your peers taking a similar route as you.

At school you sit at your first class and listen to the usually short announcements while other kids had their noses in sketchbooks. Suddenly over the speaker an official sounding person starts explaining how there’s been some recent crises in food departments. Many people knew that there was a small food shortage but the person spoke as though it was a lethal emergency. They had been speaking for at least a minute now and you’re the only one in your class paying attention. Everyone else who was listening before was now giving confused looks to their friends across the room. They end their announcement by saying that they need special people to explore for them. They said that this was a last resort. You were hooked by the first sentence.

+++

Welcome to the official Out of Character for A Visual World. Here is where I’ll keep tabs on information that is developing in the roleplay. I’ll list characters, current locations, and relevant information in general to the roleplay. If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me about anything or ask below. Let’s get to the important information.

+++

Character Spread:
Name:

*General Interests/Skills:
*Personality: (please please don’t be super detailed with this, let us see it with your posts)
Appearance: (a picture if fine for this if you want)
*Backstory: (Can be as detailed or short as you wish)

*Extra Important Information: (this can just be a bulleted list or whatever you want. Just some little details that might be good to know if you want to put anything extra)
*things with an asterisk you can skip if you’d rather keep your character a little more mysterious. I’m not gonna be super strict

+++

Guidelines for Characters:

-Your character should be 17 or older. Unless you can make this super big explanation to why the government would let a younger kid crew on a giant tunneling machine, 17 is the absolute minimum.
-If you want to roleplay more than one character I’m not going to stop you but personally I’d prefer it if you had one main character you roleplayed as and then had NPCs that were more woven into your posts instead of making multiple posts for different characters. Sometimes it gets confusing but if you’re good at organizing and really want multiple characters go for it.
-Original characters only please, maybe if you slightly based them off someone else that would be okay but we’re not throwing Danny Phantom into this universe. Sorry.
-Give your character room to develop. That’s a given, but really no one likes a 100% perfect character.
-All characters should be 100% human. They don’t have powers.They’re just regular humans.
*NOTE: if you put down info for your character that you realize maybe isn’t going to work out and you wish to change something about your character just let me know and as long as it doesn’t alter the plot or is something super important then I’ll probably be okay with it. I’m pretty flexible.

+++

General Roleplay Information:

-There can be a flexible posting order. Obviously if it makes the most sense for someone to post but it’s not their turn then just communicate that to the other people. I suggest checking in here before crafting a post.
-I’m not going to be strict with how long you take to post, but I just want you to talk to me. If you’re on a bad writer’s block or if you’re super busy just let me know and I’ll be understanding. As long as everyone is having fun with it and posts are being posted somewhat frequently it’s alright.
-On that topic I’m not expecting novels with every post. Obviously give posts some substance but if you are super packed but need to get a post out don’t feel pressured to spend weeks and weeks trying to craft the 100% perfect reply.
-I’m not picky with grammar as long as it’s understandable, but if it’s a problem I’ll let you know.

+++

Extra Lore and Information:

-The roleplay technically takes place fairly far into the future. To summarize, humans polluted the atmosphere so much that they had to move far underground to get away from toxic fumes. They had sent some people to colonize on a different planet, but the world was falling apart so out of desperation they dug tunnels and built cities with air filtration systems. Different cities bred animals and grew wheat, corn and other basic foods in greenhouses. Since the move hundreds of years have passed and most people don’t know what to expect above ground. Some crazy theorists don’t even think it exists.
-Most people can speak with basic sorts of sign language and sometimes will just incorporate it into conversations naturally. Most people have a specific sign that means their name.
-Younger kids having tattoos and tattoos in general are really common.
-Lots of people carry sketchbooks everywhere with them.
-People when giving explanations or giving directions will draw it out. Diagrams or maps are very common.
-There are several cities that are relatively close to each other and are connected by different tunnels. However, it's very uncommon for people to go to other cities.
-Different cities bring different resources to the whole population. Most cities have farming but some are more specialized. I have an image for mining cities being built in narrow ravines with bridges connecting tunnels and pathways to houses. Your character can come from any of these areas- if you can think it it can happen. (If you're making something really out there maybe check in with me and we can discuss some of the details)
-There was previously another secret group sent out a few years prior that lost connection and was never heard from again. They don't know if they ever made it to the surface or if they're still alive.
+++

I’ve done enough talking. If you’re one of the people who posted in the interest check feel free to post a character, discuss the story, or ask any questions. If you didn’t post in the interest check but are still interested, feel free to PM me and I’ll see if we can work something out.

+++

The Roleplayers:

Kinetic- Brightly Knox- 20
Cotton- Nira(neer-uh) Partridge-23
DecendentofGallifrey- Alanna Hanson-19
Ari- Marika-20 and Veitinari-15

Below is my character
____
Name: Brightly Knox, or ASL sign for “K” and index finger taps the forehead once then flicks outward to the right.

General Interests/Skills:
-crystals
-needle work/stitching
-track and field/running
-lifting/moving large or heavy objects

Personality: Brightly is quick minded and is usually the first to respond to situations; however, she can sometimes act without thinking about long-term issues. She is more likely to make a decision that with create benefits for the current moment than one that will benefit in the long run. She can sometimes forget how things will affect other people and their emotions.

Appearance: Brightly is somewhat tall at 5’9, weighs around 145 lbs, and is fairly muscular. Her wavy blonde curls fall an inch or so above her shoulders. She has an oval shaped face, and her eyes are a dull grayish blue that are washed out by her pale complexion. Freckles dot her nose, cheeks, and shoulders. Brightly often wears a black or grey tank top or long sleeved shirt (since they easily become covered in soot) with dark jeans. She wears worn out boots since she’s usually walking around mining sites.
Brightly has a tattoo on the inside of her left index finger that’s the phrase “c’est la vie” in a small lowercase font. She has a simple compass rose on her right bicep with maroon letters “N, E, S,W” on the end of each arrow corresponding to the direction.. She has two black arrows that extend down the outsides of both her calves pointing downward- the arrow on the right has the word “grounded” written in a small font along the side of the arrow. Lastly she has a minimalistic burning branch that extends from the left side of her back to the back of her neck, and a mocking bird sits within the flames.

Backstory: Brightly grew up with her dad and older sister, Kamille.

Extra Information:
-Brightly lives in a mining city

☝□□♎♌⍓♏

Last edited by Kinetic on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: A Visual World- OOC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:42 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)

What a fresh OOC! Licking this spot for my character biography to be posted in the next few days c:

I'm wondering what kind of visual records they have of the old earth from above? For example, do they know what most animals looked like, trees, the night sky, that type of stuff?

Name: Nira(neer-uh) Partridge, or index finger tapped twice to the lips

- caring for animals and plants
- farming
- anatomy and biology
- mental math
- staying calm

*Personality:
Nira is reserved, observational, and astute. He enjoys exploring, but tends to avoid people if they are too close to his personal space, or loud. He is easily distracted if something doesn't interest him. He is quick to give the cold shoulder and takes time or a kind act to gain trust.

Appearance: Nira is a round-faced Korean with downturned dark eyes that hide behind a pair of large, circular copper-wire glasses that often slip down his small, slightly wide nose. His hair is black and fluffy, commonly interfering with his vision if he doesn't pull it back in a loose, short ponytail. He is of average height for a Korean man at 5'7", and is solidly built but not muscular. Nira wears plainly coloured sweaters and jeans.
Nira has a few tattoos, which are heavily nature based and vibrant, with flowing, soft lines. On his left ankle is a ringlet of small sprouts, with a star-shaped pattern just above each. A ringlet of wheat stalks is on the other ankle, with a light bulb above each. On his left wrist, hand facing down, is a star, on the other wrist a light bulb. A bone covered in white and gray flowers is along the front of his right thigh. On the front of his neck, above his collarbone, is a pair of tawny feathered wings, interrupting a thin thorned stem outlining from the middle of his ribs to where his neck curves into his chin.

Last edited by Cotton on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:14 pm 

lurking

I'd like to think that they have some old drawings and paintings but a lot of pictures they had were not very well preserved. They know what trees are but probably just don't really understand that they could be taller than a building or something. They just have little plants so they have ideas of what these things are suppose to be but don't actually fully understand all of it. There's a lot of room for artistic interpretation.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:21 pm 

thank you <: I was mostly asking to explore the limits of tattoos and such.
Are last names still a part of culture? I'll be sure to PM any more questions I have to not clutter the board, if you wish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:25 pm 

lurking

Last names are still a thing in the culture but aren't often used to refer to someone. For example if two people have the same first name, usually people use their last name to refer to them as to not confuse them. If you're trying to differentiate two different people someone will often use their sign name. Also yes, PM any more questions and if the information is important I'll just add it to the first post so people can have the info as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:49 am 

Medals: 1
Dedicated Partner (1)

I have to get educated in an hour, but I'll check this out in depth later today.

"Who put bacon in the soap?!?!?!" - Zim

I'm writing this story! It's called The Legends of Kal'duune. You can comment about things you like or hate, but preferably the first thing, here!

This thing is my resume! Reeeeaad iiiiiit...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:59 pm 

lurking

Something I just wanted to add here: check into the lore and information sections from time to time because I might add some helpful information for the culture, environment, and/or the plot. So just keep an eye on that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:47 pm 

Aye, captain!

I've added my character Nira to my first post. He's a bit bare-bones for now, as I'm currently contemplating on some background things. Hope you like him?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:01 pm 

lurking

Beautiful, I love him! I'm very busy this week and weekend but I've started working on my character. I'll get it up by Sunday at the latest and I'll keep updating information about the lore, etc. Feel free to ask any more questions here or though PM if you're trying to get down some more specifics of your character or you're wondering how things will play out once we start actually roleplaying. Very excited for how this'll turn out!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:10 am 

Time Has No Mastery Over Me

Name: Alanna Hanson or the left hand's thumb being dragged down the right arm, stopping at the base of the right hand's thumb.

-Loves reading anything she can get her hands on
-Naturally good with balance
-Extremely interested in people
-Organizing
-Keeping up with supplies
-Multi-tasking

*Personality: Alanna has a very warm personality. She's a bit talkative at times, and she can be extremely naive. Can have periods of solemn silence, but these are few and far between.

Appearance: Alanna is 5 feet 4 inches tall. She has a medium build, but it's obvious she doesn't do any heavy lifting. She's a pale little thing with golden-brown eyes and a mane of long unruly crimson hair. She tries to keep her hair managed, but it has a mind of its own. Her favorite clothing can be described as well-worn. Alanna is often seen wearing faded shirts, comfortable long pants, and dusty work boots.
Alanna has a few tattoos. One is a set of curls and waves that curves around her right eye and rests on her temple. A similar tattoo curls from her left shoulder down to swirl to a stop on the back of her left hand, twining about the arm as it moves down. There is also another tattoo, but very few people know what or where it is.

*Backstory: The child of merchants Alanna was always around lively chatter. By the time she could utter her first words she was around the upbeat environment of the market. Perhaps this is why she's so friendly to anyone who catches her eye. Her mother often tasked her with keeping stock of their wares, and keeping the customers happy. Anyone who attended her mother and father's booth were chatted to by Alanna as she gathered the things they requested. Her parents are fiercely protective of their daughter. Everyone knows that the Hanson family lost a son, but most avoid that topic of conversation to keep the banter at the booth light and cheery,

*Extra Important Information: *

The only thing wrong with immortality is that it tends to go on forever.
-Herb Caen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:15 am 

Ooh, I like the two new additions! A diverse cast is always wonderful. I'm not quite sure how Nira will handle two higher-energy girls. he'd hide in the supply cupboard, I imagine xD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:43 am 

lurking

So now we're just awaiting Ari who I've been PMing back and forth with a little. They want to have a pair of siblings to roleplay and I trust that they'll be able to keep it organized so I can't wait to see how it all works out. If you wish to discuss things about the plot or ask any questions feel free to do so. Once we get things more organized and finalize all the characters an IC will follow soon after.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:19 am 

...looking for some new RP's.

Medals: 2
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Character Spread:

Name: Veitinari or Veit (Family name, if needed; Rylais )
(V - Victory sign - T put both index fingers together in a T shape. )

*General Interests:
- Mathematics, Machinery, Sciences and logic games,
*Skills:
Photographic Memory and reproduction of exact details 1:1

*Personality:

- He is quite brief and cold to outsiders, and can treat them as enemies at times, but can be wordy with his sister.
- Very protective of her, as she is his last living relative.
- Due to his talents in copying and understanding blueprints and drawing exact maps of location, he has been employed part time by the government. This exposure to the "adult" world, makes him more mature than other 15 year old boys.

Appearance:
Slim, but not malnourished. In his growing spurt at the moment, but still not very tall (about 1,69 m) Has black hair, green eyes and fair skin, without tattoos.
(pictures may be added later but no promise. I am picky.)

*Extra Important Information:

- Veit has no sketchbook, but a plotting paper block with him. No drawing tools, but sharpened pencils, ruler square and compass with him.
- He has skipped a few classes, and is attending school with his sister, who has been held back a year.
- He has zero talent in free drawing or other creative things, but due to his memory he can exactly "copy paste " what is needed, and this makes him one of the top in his class.

Name: Marika, Mari
( She uses the "M" sign when you connect both thumbs together and put down the index fingers.)

*General Interests/Skills: crafting, designing things, needlework ... anything practical.
*Personality:
- simple and outgoing, however this is usually only shown to her brother. She learned to fend for herself and protect them both.
- she is labeled as an 'idiot' in school because she has trouble understanding and talking in the visual language. She prefers talking, but is a bit shy wit strangers.

Appearance:
Slim but is stronger than she looks. Green eyes, Hazelnutbrown hair that is curly and therefore usually braided. 1, 70m, her brother is about to pass her in height, but for now they could almost be twins, if not for the little different features and figures. Outside, she likes to wear male /practical clothes, because she feels safer like this.

*Extra Important Information:
- Marika, or Mari, carries a worn out, bound book of drawings (made by her father) , very much like a vocab book, that she uses to communicate in everyday life as a help to come by in the society.
- Doting on her brother a lot, and her hobby is making clothes for him. He has to make the blueprints for the clothes design though, because she is just using her imagination.
Both siblings have no tattoos or drawings and fair skin.

Backstory: (both)

Marika and Veit were born into a not too wealthy, but well of family. Their Parents had been working as picture book writer and news paper writer respectively. During a work trip to a dangerous region, they both died, and left Marika with 16 and Veit with 11 years to fend for themselves.
After their savings ran out, Marika crafted Dolls and dolls clothes and Veit started to copy maps and designs, while Marika re-sold them cheap at the market to make ends meet.

Some years later, an official bought one of Veitinaris maps, and was surprised how detailed and accurate it was, so he did some investigation.
The siblings were doing well, but due to them both being underage, they pretended to be older to avoid orphanage. As the official found them, Marika was still 17 and Veit was 13.
The government arranged for them to stay in one of their boarding schools, and re-admitted them to school.
Half a year later, however, the siblings moved out...
(to be continued ...)

@Kinetic tell me if I need to change something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:17 am 

lurking

Everything looks really good to me except that I'm having trouble understanding the visual signs for both your characters. Maybe you could explain the motion more clearly.

Aside from that are there any last details, questions, or concerns people want to add? I'll try to get the IC up before the end of the weekend but I have a lot going on so it might take a little longer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:43 am 

...looking for some new RP's.

Medals: 2
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Ah, well I wanted them to use the most simplistic way of sign language, forming letters with their fingers. Since Veit does not care about being artistic, and Mari does not understand complicated sign language. so like forming a T , V and M with fingers, basically ^^

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:19 am 

lurking

Okay! It was mainly the second one that I was confused about. My fault though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:55 pm 

lurking

IC is up!! viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50982

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:14 pm 

Wahoo! I should be able to get my post up in the week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:21 pm 

Do you mind if we write past tense, third person, or would you rather us match yours? I'm fine with either, I just commonly write in that style.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:48 pm 

lurking

Do whatever you're more comfortable with. Third person is perfectly fine. Usually I'll write third person for stuff like this but I like to mix it up sometimes.