[b]Why does your character fight for the woodlanders?:[/b]

[b]What weapon/s does your character prefer?:[/b]

[b]What makes your character stand out in battle?:[/b]

[b]Who is currently your character's closest friend/family?:[/b]

[b]What in your character's past have they since run from or lost?:[/b]

[b]What is your character most afraid of?:[/b]

[b]STRENGTHS:[/b]

[b]WEAKNESSES:[/b]

This isn't the most traditional format but specific questions like the ones I've asked allow me and all of you to have unique insights into one another that could be used to enrich the story and affect the plot. I'll post into this myself tonight or tomorrow, unless I unexpectedly have time earlier. This thread can still be used for discussion of plot elements as well, but I thought starting with the character sheet might be easier. So we know WHO we're playing, and the story can form around that.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: REDWALL OOC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:56 am 

Blog: View Blog (1)

A question, since we're going with canon-esque lore: When are we going to be in the timeline? There are a boatload of books on either side of the undefined gap between Salamandastron and Redwall, and the whole series takes up something like several thousand seasons. I'd just like to know what has happened and what legends we may or may not know at this point, as some of the wars end up leaving lasting impressions and ruins dotting the landscape from vermin fortresses being destroyed.

Also, I am now reading the whole series in chronological order. You have created a monster.

Also, as a point on the whole 'magic' thing, there are a few instances of some sort of spiritual force being available. Aside from prophecies, the two most poignant examples are the Badger Lords foresight and visions, especially of Salamandastron, and Martin the Warrior appearing to various characters in dreams like some sort of Jedi ghost to point them towards saving Mossflower time and again. But it's very hard to pin down what causes all of this(except the Badger Lords, who are Badger Lords), so I'm not entirely certain.

Also, in case we're restricted to single characters, or just because it's fun, anyone wanna play one half of a set of otter twins?

Last edited by Illegitimate Chimera on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:18 pm 

Also, I found this helpful chart for sizes. I was having trouble imagining field mice fighting...well, any of the vermin. This seems less realistic and more geared towards the books relative sizes.

http://fortunatafox.deviantart.com/art/Redwall-Table-of-proportions-2013-401701956

I was looking for a map to help with too, but I can't find a very good one. Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:46 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

@Illegitimate Chimera - I would love to play your second twin if you'll have me!
I think it would be easiest to have the roleplay set near the end of the timeline, with only very light references to previous materials, if any. As for magic, we could perhaps have a prophecy driving the story, though it may not have to come specifically from Martin? Jedi ghost is a very accurate descriptor for him xD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:11 pm 

The only single binding thread for all the stories so far has been a vermin invasion or arrival of some sort, even if it happened just before the book starts. Prophecy, curiosity, an ancient riddle, old travelling companions, vengeance, wanderlust...Those are all plot-starters I recall having occurred in the books at some point or another. So the options are definitely open on that count.

Also YAY TWIN!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:00 am 

Straitjacket Hero

Medals: 1
Supporter (1)

Y'all are out of my league =P
I think near the end of the timeline is reasonable. On the whole Jedi Ghost/Martin thing, I sort of counted that into the whole 'seer' category. Actually I was thinking of either playing a seer or having one point them on their way, but in general the storyline is low magic. But you are all raising some really good points. I would *prefer* to keep external lore light enough that people reading wouldn't be lost, but if you can enrich your characters/storyline with a closer eye to canon you can do so individually.

I really look forward to meeting the otter twins. I'm tempted to play something atypical like a noble rat, but I know that desire stems largely from how awful Outcast of Redwall was -_- 'Remember kids, some people are just born evil.'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:53 pm 

Yeah, that was...not pleasant. Although one of the most under-represented 'atypical' species in the books only had one written member: Apparently there are 'domestic' cats, namely Sir Gingivere, who are actually very helpful and kind creatures, when they're not openly fighting and chewing things and whatnot. Absolutely not like the wildcats that sometimes lead the vermin hordes, though they aren't separate species or anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:32 pm 

Straitjacket Hero

Supporter (1)

NAME:
Roalt 'the Golden'

SEX:
Male

SPECIES:
Mouse

Why does your character fight for the woodlanders?:
Roalt had always been hotheaded, he was practiced in the finer points of getting beaten down and having to pick oneself up again. Of course it was only sparring, bare-handed and never meant to do any lasting damage. After all, while insults lived on the mind bruises faded away and were soon forgotten. There was always going to be a day where Roalt had to put his endurance and fighting spirit to use, but he fell into that day quite unprepared.

When the attack fell upon the port, Roalt had no weapons on hand and had to beat the rats back with only his paws until he got ahold of the hatchets they were carrying. He was not the only one fighting back, but fell into leadership naturally as the others resisting the raid looked to him for command and inspiration. Though many fell to the sea rats, their ambush failed and they retreated, spreading tails of the golden mouse that had driven them back throughout the vermin of the land. After that day, the casual brawls of his past felt hollow. He knew what his calling was.

What weapon/s does your character prefer?:
Twin Hatchets

What makes your character stand out in battle?:
Roalt's yellow fur, strong voice and energetic fighting style drew attention to him immediately. He fought fearlessly and seemed never to run out of stamina. He was particularly suited to engaging mobs of unfocused enemies, single well-trained or well-armed opponents were more difficult for him so he tended to focus on crowd control and thinning hostile numbers as quickly as possible.

Who is currently your character's closest friend/family?:
His only surviving family was an elder sister and her husband and child. He saw them rarely but tried to visit his nephew at least often enough to remain a part of the child's life. As for friends, Roalt was still a fiery soul who could be difficult to get along with, so he had few who would call him a friend.

What in your character's past have they since run from or lost?:
Roalt had not returned to the port of his upbringing since the attack, it would have taken news of a raid upon it to drive him to do so. As much as he loved to fight, Roalt inwardly blamed himself for not combating the piratical vermin sooner and potentially holding off the raid before it was even begun.

What is your character most afraid of?:
The fire that seemed always to burn in Roalt's spirit came from two fears, one atop the other so that even the golden mouse himself did not know of the deepest. Firstly, Roalt hated defeat. Failure of any kind was distasteful to him so that he would refuse to stand down even when the odds were clearly against him. Of course this kind of recklessness needed to be backed by incredible power and Roalt's came from a survival instinct that could override his muscles, but never his heart. Pride, glory, vanity, these would drive Roalt into a fray. But it was his fear of death that would see him safely to the other side...

STRENGTHS:
+ Zeal for fighting and generally high stamina
+ Strong sense of right and wrong
+ Has a reputation that can impress or intimidate foes
+ Will to live can augment his natural strength/resilience

WEAKNESSES:
- May appear reckless/brutish to others
- Often unwilling to be practical or compromise
- Has a reputation that can attract challengers
- Self-hatred can paralyze him at critical moments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:09 pm 

Something else to point out now that I've re-read a dozen books. There doesn't seem to be much economy or industry, with the notable exception of vermin attempting to build empires to rule over. Iron and other things must be getting mined to create weapons, and there is treasure in the form of fancy arrms and jewellery, but none of that is ever actually mentioned. Farming seems to be mostly substinece only, and even barter seems to be mostly in favours and promises more than anything else. We could either address that or leave it as is, as it seems to work in the books, but I thought I would mention it, as it struck me as odd. The books seem stuck in the very early Dark ages.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:15 pm 

Straitjacket Hero

Supporter (1)

Apart from the culinary arts, Redwall does seem to be locked into a relatively low-tech setting. I'm certainly comfortable with that, I don't think it will be particularly intrusive. I might stretch it a *bit* because part of my plot in mind involves the enemy having some kind of seige weaponry. Hopefully that's agreeable to everyone? If not I can change it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:58 pm 

Siege weaponry already exists, so that's fine. Actually, some fairly advanced stuff, even. A trebuchet showed up, as have mobile siege towers, so have at, yo.

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:24 pm 

After years of deliberation amongst ourselves, Chimera and I have created our characters!

NAME: Lusko
SEX: Male

SPECIES: Sea Otter

Why does your character fight for the woodlanders?:
Lusko was raised on the dangerous open seas with his sister, Kosul. Following her lead, he became a protector of the holt's fishing boats, becoming more talented with a weapon than at catching fish with his own paws. He hated the idea of thieves and those who would prey on the innocent and hardworking, becoming primarily a fighter for justice, not having a specific love of battle like his more wily sister. Like her, he was raised on the stories of otter greats, who protected the weak and fought the foul. Yet unlike Kosul, Lusko wanted to do this at home as a simple protector, with no tales of glory written about his deeds. He didn't let these complaints be vocalized, loving his sister too much, and so he left their home with her to become vigilante freedom-fighters.
Lusko continues to be a protector, working with Nosul to keep those in need from harm. He has little empathy for his enemies, and could be considered highly prejudiced against most vermin species.

What weapon/s does your character prefer?:
Following in the footsteps of Finnbarr Galedeep, Lusko wields two basket-hilt curved swords with careful precision. These are his main weapons, gifted to him from the Badger Lord of Salamandastron, and they never leave his sides unless absolutely necessary. He has the otter ability to use a sling. Though not strictly a weapon, Lusko also carries a lute of rosewood made by his deceased father, which he plays often, accompanied by his soft and mellow singing voice to keep spirits pleasant.

What makes your character stand out in battle?:
Despite his lumbering size, Lusko is quick and agile in battle, weaving in and out of enemies with the grace of a dancer. He often uses stealth and surprise to his advantage. His blades rarely stop moving, often engaging in two separate battles at once. He also uses his tail as a weapon, sweeping enemies off their feet. He is a good strategist, complementing his sister's more tactical nature.

Who is currently your character's closest friend/family?:
Lusko's closest family member is Kosul, his twin sister and closest friend. At his former holt was a sow named Kida, whom Lusko fancied. He thinks of her often but finds it unlikely that she would remember him if they were ever to return.

What in your character's past have they since run from or lost?:
Lusko longs for home, though he would never speak on it. He misses the ocean and the simple lifestyle of knowing that food and shelter will be provided every night. He loves his sister but the ache in his heart could never be healed unless he saw the ocean again, and stayed. He distracts himself with the present and the ache is forgotten, but he will have waves of homesickness in the quiet hours.

What is your character most afraid of?:
Lusko's true, greatest fear is that of being alone or unloved. In a way he's afraid of Kosul: afraid of upsetting or displeasing her, or worst yet, losing her. His wish for the happiness and safety of others often disrupts his own state of being.

STRENGTHS:

-Strategic and careful, with the ability to perceive the big picture ideas and plan ahead.
-Able to keep the mood cheerful, and inspire in even the direst circumstances.
-Massive size and strength, comparable with Badger Lords.
-Pensive and insightful, often saying what needs to be said.
-A talented musician

WEAKNESSES:

-Highly tentative, rarely taking risks.
-Focuses so much on others he often forgets to care for himself.
-Opens up to others slowly and speaks little to those he doesn't know, making him seem aloof or unfriendly.
-Holds very fiery grudges that do not fade over time.
-Prejudiced against vermin kind.
-To lose Kosul would be to lose his own soul.

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:36 pm 

NAME: Kosul

SEX: Female

SPECIES: Sea Otter

Why does your character fight for the woodlanders?: Kosul and her brother grew up on the rough seas, so fighting corsairs was a yearly(or more often) task, one to which they were suited for even more than the fishing they otherwise did on their Holt's boats. They also grew up on tales of Grath Longfletch, Finnbarr Galedeep, and the Long Patrol of Salamandastron, who they occasionally visited. This instilled in them a deep love of adventure and heroism, which when coupled with their combat experience and wanderlust, led them to leave the Holt and strike out on their own once their parents passed onto the gates of the Dark Forest.

These days, Kosul finds her heartstrings tugged by a good sob-story by anybeast, and especially foxes after one unusually kind one took them in over a harsh winter. She has henceforth been determined to argue against profiling, even vermin, though she will admit to a still burning hatred of corsairs and slavers. Babes are an extreme soft spot for her, as well, and she will wrestle and play with them even when she's supposed to be dignified and proper. So when any innocent creature is threatened by evil ones, she will stand, songs of the old days thrumming through her head, come Hellgates and high tide, to defend them no matter the cost.

What weapon/s does your character prefer?: While she has a knife she uses for camp tasks, and is as capable with a sling as any otter, Kosul is particularly good with a longbow, a deadshot at anything within a two hundred metres. She is also very good with her halberd, which is her pride and joy, having been made at Salamandastron for her after the resident Badger Lord and her swapped tales of derring-do against pirate crews.

What makes your character stand out in battle?: Kosul, like her brother, is huge, even for a sea otter, and is actually bigger than the average badger, giving her immense strength and an intimidating figure. With her halberd, she can sweep vermin away in droves, roaring with laughter the whole time when she's not biting the enemy. She also keeps her head in a fight, and can take command when there is no other creature capable.

Who is currently your character's closest friend/family?: Aside from her twin brother, Kosul has living relatives back at the Holt, though they haven't visited. She likes and is good at making friends with leader-type folk, and maintains good ties with Skipper and the Log-a-Log of the Guosim, who she sometimes chances to see.

What in your character's past have they since run from or lost?: While she never mentions it, Kosul is not a very big fan of returning home. She feels that if they should return, their adventures will be at an end and they will be stuck there for the rest of their seasons. This feeling is strong enough that she'll swiftly change the subject if it's brought up.

What is your character most afraid of?: First and foremost, the loss of her brother. Slavery is right up there as well. She's seen galley slaves, would never wish it on anybeast, and dreads it happening to her.

STRENGTHS:

-Command abilities and a tactical mind, though she'd rather advise than lead.
-Very good at providing for others in the wilderness.
-Massive size and strength, comparable with Badger Lords.
-An excellent navigator.

WEAKNESSES:

-A bit reserved and gloomy at times, owing to a slight pessimistic outlook, even if she's good at hiding it.
-Terrible singing voice, and a lack of caring about it.
-Prone to forgetting decorum and manners.
-Likes hotroot even more than most otters, and thus should not be left in charge of cooking.
-Suffers from a small amount of the Bloodwrath, usually triggered when babes are threatened.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:44 pm 

Straitjacket Hero

Supporter (1)

Okay, let me clear off the dust on this one and make a statement real quick: I'm sorry I let this fall by the wayside.

I don't want to give excuses, the truth is that some things in my real life were very poorly timed to work with anything else I wanted to do, this included. But I still should have made more of an effort to keep this alive or at the least to show that I appreciate the interest and work put into it. If anyone on this thread still has any interest in this idea, I will put forth as much work as it takes to make it a positive experience. If everyone would be more comfortable letting it sleep, I will continue to do so.

Either way, I'm really sorry. I will make every effort within my power to keep this from happening again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:12 pm 

Your real life takes precedence. That's not an excuse so much as reality. I'm still interested, so do what you can, when you can, but please don't put yourself out for an RP that's not running yet if you've got other obligations. I will be happy to wait as long as it takes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:12 pm 

I am still interested as well! I don't mind waiting either, as long as you need.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:34 pm 

Straitjacket Hero

Supporter (1)

Assuming that it's between the three of us, both of you have a clearer/more recent grasp on the books than I do. It might make more sense if we redistribute the balance of power a little since as a general rule the GM should know the most about the setting. Of course I'll be reading up on them again for this but I'm not certain it wouldn't make sense to hand the reins over to someone who has them all but memorized. That's just one option, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:10 am 

That's a fair evaluation, but I myself have never "run" a bbs game. I dunno how that would work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:28 am 

I am bumping this back into relevance so we membah's that it is in the now and not the before times. Because I would still love to play this at some point.