PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:49 pm 

RN (Ratchet Nurse)

Global Moderator

Medals: 8
Funniest Member (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

The Interest Check

Years ago, the nation was swept with disaster after disaster, leaving a plethora of problems in their wake. Drought had plagued farms, and there was little food to satisfy a nation of some millions of people. With very few resources to give to the people at the number they were, the problems stacked up as more and more children were born, and the nation staggered into overpopulation and struggled to cope to no avail. To combat this, the Population Law was set into place. The Law originally dictated that families were allowed no more than two children - but that was not enough, as there were still more children being born than resources being brought in. An amendment was written, stating that only one child was allowed per family, but it would not be retroactive. Families that already had two children before the law was set into place were unaffected, but women pregnant with second children during this crucial time were forced to hand their babies over immediately after birth.

Despite the new regulation, children were still brought into the world illegally, hidden away from the world in basements, attics, or hidden annexes of houses. Alternatively, they were abandoned; left in the streets, dumped on a door step, trusted to another family with no children to speak of. The risk was almost tangible though, as the punishment for such acts ranged from arrest to beating and any illegal child was seized and either killed or militarized depending on age. They had a name for children who were able to slip past Police eyes unnoticed, hiding in every corner to escape view - Shadow Children.

To uphold Population Law, a special military unit was established known as the Population Police - a totalitarian force with the sole purpose of quelling overpopulation by eliminating illegal children and regulating the growth and distribution of food. They are the backbone that controls government regulations in regards to population. Corruption is very apparent within the organization in various ways - it holds the government in its back pocket, and occasionally doles out extra food rations for the exceptionally wealthy barons of an otherwise fallen society.

Now, for the details of what we're actually going to be doing as far as characters and posts are concerned.

Just to reiterate what was said in the interest check:

1. Everyone's character(s) must be willing to die. This is non-negotiable.
  2. Everyone must play at least 1 "hidden" child--if you would like other characters such as an influential politician or a Population Police officer, please note in your interest below.
  3. All characters, including hidden children, are subject to approval by myself and my co-GM, Leumas. This does not mean we will toss out your character in its entirety, but rather suggest changes or important tweaks that might be necessary for the flow of the plot/character development.
  4. Posting order will be as follows:
      Everyone is free to post at any time, but only once in between my posts.
      To clarify, I will be making the first post, after which anyone is free to respond at any time, but only once, and then I will post again and the "order" will restart. This allows for more freedom in posting time, and no one is given pressure to post next, unless they are the last person in that round that needs to post before I post again, starting the new round.
    If this arrangement doesn't seem to be working out, then we'll establish a traditional posting order based on who displayed interest first.
  5. Posting speed. Given that this is an alpha thread, and we all have busy lives to attend to, there is a very loose 1 week rule. This does NOT mean everyone has to post within a week's time. Rather, if person A - E posts, and we're waiting on person F, they have 1 week or so from the last post to post their response. If they go over by a couple of days, it's no big deal. The only time this rule would be enforced would be if it was the same person, every round, consistently not posting for longer than say almost 2 weeks. Ideally, there would be a post a week. We won't bug people for posts unless it has been more than 2 weeks since a post has been made.
  6. We want this plot to be a product of everyone's creativity. In this spirit, if you would like to add in a twist of your own to the story, or just suggest a plot idea to be implemented, PM Leumas and we will discuss and work it in. This way, only we and you (the suggester) will know the secret ultra twist, and it will surprise everyone when it's implemented.

Character Sheet Skeleton is listed below. Remember, this is a helpful guide and you need not follow it. You can add or take away to our suggestion as you deem fit. All that I ask is it be of a minimal appropriate length (400 words, or one Microsoft Word page) and includes a written description, pictures are optional. So, without further ado, da sheet!
Code:
[size=150][b][i][u]Basic Info[/u][/i][/b][/size]

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Pronunciation:[/b] *If applicable*
[b]Nicknames:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Sex:[/b]
[b]Hair:[/b]
[b]Eyes:[/b]
[b]Tattoos:[/b] *If applicable--remember Shadow Children would have a hard time sporting a tattoo unless they had someone close to them who knew their secret and was able to provide them one*
[b]Piercings:[/b] *See above*
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Build:[/b]
[b]Skin:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]

[b][i][u][size=150]Status[/size][/u][/i][/b]

[b]Birthplace:[/b]
[b]Present Home:[/b] *Please select an area in the Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia tri-state area. This will allow for plenty of urban and rural setting opportunities which will be good for any kind of character development*
[b]Job:[/b] *For Shadow Children, this would most likely be something that would allow them to remain inconspicuous. Most, if not all Shadow Children can NEVER be seen by other people who know their secret. There are heavy rewards in place for individuals who provide information leading to a Shadow Child arrest*
[b]Marital Status:[/b]
[b]Sexual orientation:[/b]

[b][i][u][size=150]{Character Name Here}'s...[/size][/u][/i][/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Clothing:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b] *NOTE: Try not to include too much in this section, maybe a small paragraph, as we will be developing this heavily in the actual roleplay*

[b]Weapon Preferences:[/b] *This would only be for Population Police; Shadow children are unlikely to be trained in any sort of combat unless their guardian has been instructing them in secret some how*
[b]Likes:[/b][list][*]Item 1[*]Item 2[*]Ect.[/list]

[b]Dislikes:[/b][list][*][/list]

[b]Strengths:[/b][list][*][/list]

[b]Weaknesses:[/b][list][*][/list]

[b][i][u][size=150]History[/size][/u][/i][/b]
Feel free to copy this directly into a response and then fill out the answers. Keep the spacing the same between the lines because things like 'list' create an extra line automatically. BE SURE to delete anything in asterisks after the description--they have only been added for clarification purposes. Also! When in doubt check out this insanely awesome thread that Goblin Made. It is extremely helpful in answering many of those tough questions and is a great general use for writing. Check it out. :)

Now before you jump right into creating characters, allow us to provide you with some further information you should keep in mind when creating characters. This, like the clarifications in the character sheet, are things we are looking for to accept characters. If you try and create a shadow child who has been duel wielding katanas since birth, has eyes that mysteriously change color based on mood, and is basically God's gift to this green Earth and also the savior from the population police, there are going to be problems and your character will be denied. Additions or edits may be added to the following list. Notification posts will be placed to alert you to any changes, so let's jump right in to the explainables:

• The Population Police: This is the major antagonistic group of the entire roleplay. They are single handedly responsible for upholding the Population Law--the only thing that separates a shadow child from a life of freedom and death. Most of the Police force are ruthless, soulless men and women who's only pleasure comes from tearing families apart and using it to feed their own. Although they are a largely independent organization, they too are monitored for insurrections against the government. Knowing this, it would be rare, but possible, for a Police officer to either have shadow children of his/her own or to be a double agent/spy against the government. Population Police are generally well off and taken care of for their dutiful service, and like any military force, the higher up in rank you are the more puffed up and nasty you become. Shadow children who are discovered at a certain age are often militarized instead of being slaughtered. Ordinarily, this might lead to fighting within the ranks; however, most shadow children are overjoyed at having a new life with a purpose where they can be outdoors, in the sight of other people, and actually live. Even if that life is destined to cut down others of their kind. Think of it like a brainwashing, but without so much effort put in by the true despicable officials of the military. This is not to say that there aren't sympathizers, hiding among the forces, but they are few and far between. Ranking system mirrors that of the USMC, specifically Commissioned Officers.

• Socioeconomics: As stated previously, the world is essentially how ours is today, perhaps 50 years or so into the future. Try not to think of a Capitol society like that in the hunger games, things would be mostly the same, though there are dystopian notes. The poor are extremely poor, and the rich are extremely rich. Because there's such an inequality between the classes, the once large middle class has been reduced to a fraction of what it once was. The population police makes up what we know today as the high middle class, though not yet rich. Simply keep this in mind as a backdrop when considering your character's history, though there is nothing saying a shadow child could not be born to an extremely wealthy family. Remember to have fun with it!

So with all of this lovely information, take some time and think about the character(s) you'd like to create, and post them up here! Once a character is posted we will review it and get back to you on whether or not we'd like any changes to be made. Hope you all are looking forward to this as much as we are! Of course any questions or concerns you have, feel free to post them up here and we will work together to answer them. We hope to create a great roleplay experience where everyone can be involved in shaping the course of the roleplay, so think up those plot twists if the mood strikes you! See you in game~! =D

TWERk twERK tWeRK | +
Fire, fire burning bright,
Turn my darkness into light!
Take away my bad luck and ill,
Now bring me nothing but goodwill.
Bad luck came and stayed too long,
Be gone forever, be gone, be gone!
With this fire burning bright,
Bring me good luck, bring me light!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Among the Fallen OoC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:49 am 
Subscriber

Medals: 4
1st Year (1) Supporter (3)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Leumas wrote:
and like any military force, the higher up in rank you are the more important and wealthy you become.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Let me get that for you.

Leumas wrote:
and like any military force, the higher up in rank you are the more puffed up and nasty you become.

Hehehe

Couldn't resist. Anyway, I'll bang up a Shadow Child and a Pop. Police Officer ASAP.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:11 pm 

RN (Ratchet Nurse)

Global Moderator

Thank you for pointing out the error--edit has been made.

Look forward to seeing your characters!

TWERk twERK tWeRK | +

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:47 pm 

It is a hollow shell of what it once was.

Medals: 14
Best Death (1) GM of the Month (1)
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (2)
Blog: View Blog (3)

My oh my, still no CS's? What ARE we to do? We had such high hopes for this RP, there was so much potential... Oh, wait, what have we here?

*Pulls Character Sheet from... somewhere*

Basic Info

Name: Mason
Pronunciation: It's May, Son
Nicknames: "Raccoon"
Sex: Male
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Tattoos: It's not a tattoo, but a curved scar underneath one of his eyes is the closest thing to one he possesses. He got it around when he was nine, but cannot remember how.
Piercings: None
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 126 lb
Build: Scrawny and gangly as result of his living situation.
Skin: Would be light-brown, except constantly hiding and remaining out of plain view has given him something of a pallid complexion.
Race: Some mix of Caucasian and (Asian) Indian, Caucasian being the more dominant of the two.

Status

Birthplace: Norfolk, Virginia, in a house
Present Home: Norfolk, Virginia, on the streets
Job: Homeless scrounger/ vagrant
Marital Status: Single. Girls don't dig garbage.
Sexual orientation: Straight, although he's also into goat stuff.

Mason's…

Appearance: Has a thin, gaunt face that is unmarred aside from the scar underlining one of his eyes. There is usually some dirt caking his cheeks as well, given the infrequency with which he bathes himself.

Clothing: Wears a shirt he has owned for nearly a year, and a pair of jeans that are torn badly in several places, in addition to missing a foot of denim fabric at the bottom of one of the pant legs. His shoes are nearly always mismatched, as he would replace one of them whenever he finds one in better condition. If the size is too large he would use random objects to fill up the extra space, and if too small he would simply cram his feet into them, ignoring the discomfort as it is only temporary.

Personality: Has grown accustomed to people entering and vanishing from his life at regular intervals; as such he is distant at times, although he somehow remains cheerful in spite of his life's circumstances. Often laughs at strange things and occasionally finds himself in trouble because of it. Enjoys laughing at his abysmal existence, poking fun at his own misfortunes with a healthy dose of sarcasm.

Weapon Preferences: Whatever he can put together.

-The exciting feeling from seeing a pile of garbage that hasn't yet been sifted through for the treasures hidden within.

-He enjoys sleeping under the night sky, as that is a luxury to him that he seldom gets to enjoy, constantly hidden away in relative discomfort as he is.

-Fried chicken. Smelling it has driven him into a frenzy in the past, nearly getting him caught on several occasions.

-Women in high heels. Whenever he sees women in high heels he would gaze at their legs, enraptured.

-Duct tape. It's as valuable as gold to him.

Dislikes:
    -Well dressed people who smell good are intimidating to him.

-Cats. They hate him, and the feeling is mutual.

-If he finds himself in an area in which he doesn't see a corner to hide in or a possible outlet for escape, he becomes incredibly paranoid- even if there is no apparent danger.

Strengths:

-"Macgyver-esque" ingenuity. Mason learned to utilize anything he finds, regardless of how deplorable its condition might be. His very low standards of cleanliness help him in this regard. One example of a garbage-based contraption is a pair of "brick knuckles" Mason fashioned for self-defense. It's composition is: a piece of letter that had once been part of a belt, a small, thick segment of fabric from a winter coat, and a collection of brick fragments. He wrapped the brick pieces up in the cloth, which he then strapped to the belt with duct tape. They weren't the "brass knuckles" he'd heard stories about once before, but they were good enough for him.

-He is adept at doing the little things it takes to survive- he could fade into shadows and avoid attention, always remaining at the boundaries and never in the thick of things, unless his goal is to blend into a crowd (although his lack of cleanliness can make such a task difficult at times). Has a knack for finding escape routes, even very small, cramped ones that wouldn't seem usable for anyone but a child.

-Can be very quick and agile, able to change direction easily and without warning.

-Is eternally aware of his surroundings, which makes it difficult for him to be caught by surprise. He is a very light sleeper and has the uncanny ability to pick out unusual noises, even from a distance.

Weaknesses:

-Not physically powerful at all- runs from most altercations, as his speed far exceeds any upper body strength he possesses.

-Can get very fatigued at times, which is a result of his poor diet and inability to get a proper night's sleep.

-Sometimes doesn't know when to stop talking- even when he's by himself.

-Doesn't bathe enough, as he's built up a tolerance for his own stench.

History

Mason was the third child of a very poor city woman who was too loving to give him up, and too cowardly to keep him when things got dangerous. Abandoned when he was still quite young, he roamed the populous streets of Norfolk alone for some time before finally being taken in by a pseudo-family of vagrants who provided him with some level of shelter, but not much beyond that.

Eventually they would move on, leaving him behind- however he did learn a great deal from them about how to survive and how to remain hidden. The vagrants left him alone in the hollowed out husk of an abandoned RV where he'd recently taken up sleeping in. He spent some time alone, using the RV as a "base of operations" of sorts, before eventually being joined by a young girl who had wordlessly entered the vehicle one night and fallen asleep beside him. He found the fact that she was so trusting of a complete stranger rather unnerving. Either she detected absolutely nothing threatening about him (which would have given him something of a stunted ego) or she was out of her mind. Either way, he elected not to try speaking with her unless she initiated conversation first.

She never did- she slept in the RV with him for several months of complete silence before disappearing like all the other people in Mason's life. He would've thought the fact that she'd never even said a word to him would've taken away the sting of losing her, but he still missed her company after she'd left. She hadn't smelled nearly as bad as he did, anyway.

In the RV, Mason keeps a pile of trash in the corner that he would occasionally sift through, searching for useful components. Whenever he comes across something potentially useful, he would bring it back to his sad semblance of a home and add it to the pile, to be examined later.

Learning a simple lesson isn't always simple. Sometimes, you have to slowly lose everything great around you to understand the gravity of your shortcomings. Admit that your egos have grown too large, that you've lost your sense of what you realistically are, and maybe you can repair the road that has broken beneath the weight of your failings. Or maybe you'll just keep going as you've gone, and you'll learn nothing, and eventually, everything around you will become dust. To be honest, that's by far the likeliest of all outcomes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:15 am 

Medals: 2
Original Character (1) Longest RP (1)

I had forgotten about this one! Let me know if I need to move him somewhere closer to the others.

Basic Info

Name: Simon Glass
Pronunciation: *If applicable*
Nicknames:
Sex:M
Hair:Probably brown if it were clean
Eyes:Brown
Height:5’8”
Weight:150lb
Build: Lean body type, he looks scrawny but there is muscle there from years of working the nets
Skin: Divets from a bad case of acne mark the left side of his face, a dark, ruddy complexion from years of exposure to the elements
Race: Caucasian

Status

Birthplace: Virginia Coast
Present Home: Virginia coast
Job: Part of the net crew on a fishing boat
Marital Status: Single
Sexual orientation: Heterosexual

Simon's...

Appearance: Simon is almost always dirty and smells of dead fish. His home is the underbelly of the fishing trawler he works as part of the crew that throws and hauls the nets. His hair is shoulder length and stringy from years of improper care, which he usually keeps tucked inside a winter hat.

Clothing: Coveralls with a ragged flannel shirt from his collection of throw aways from the crew. He has one thick jacket that is at a bit too small for him and a winter cap he wears year around he found floating in the water. He wears well soled rubber boots that Logan buys him new every year so he can work the nets properly.

Personality: Simon is uneducated but his mind is very sharp. A life spent in the hold of a ship in the cold elements has left him broodish, stubborn, but with a high survival instinct. He knows if he is ever turned in, he would likely be sent to the military but the smell and danger of the docks usually keeps the police away.

Weapon Preferences: Fists
  • Clear night skies
  • People who don’t treat him badly.
  • Boats
  • oceans
  • animals

Dislikes:
  • Bullies
  • large crowds
  • cauliflower

Strengths:
    Strong, has a high pain tolerance, loyal to anyone who is friendly to him, Spent his life taking orders without question, a very good swimmer with great balance, has pretty good endurance, can drive a boat, stubborn survivor

Weaknesses:
    His mind is sharp but not overly quick, stubborn to a fault, Very low reading level, large crowds can panic him (agoraphobic), not a very good climber or the fastest runner, uneducated and inexperienced in the real world but aware of the dangers of the PP

Under construction

"These two great gentlemen are dedicated to a proposition which was true in my time, just as it's true today. Be excellent to each other. And PARTY ON DUDES!" - Abe Lincoln (Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure)

Last edited by Rhandom1 on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:12 am 

RN (Ratchet Nurse)

Global Moderator

Hey Rhandom! I'd like to request that you make three small changes to your character sheet and then you should be golden!

It would be much better if you could move your character closer to where we are, if only for the sake that you won't have to do a couple of posts alone while trying to explain how your character get's down to the tri-state area we are in. Which brings me to this unfortunate fact: I believe me and Muse neglected to edit in the location we were aiming for D:.

So that problem has been fixed, but just know that we're planning to host the story in the Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia tri-state area. This will allow for plenty of urban and rural setting opportunities which will be good for any kind of character development. :)

I'm afraid you'd miss out on a lot of great opportunity to describe frigid temperatures having to move the setting, but the bay, river, and Atlantic Ocean for MD should all serve nicely as water ports/settings for your character, so you wouldn't have to tweak too much. Plus, given that most fishermen are out early and that your character is within the bowels of said ship, it still would get plenty cold, especially in the winter time.

As for the second change, I believe you need to define what you mean by ambidextrous as a sexual orientation. :P Because that isn't really a common one, if it is one at all lol. Let me know what you mean and if it's just on the strange side of things and you can explain, I'd be happy to approve it!

The third thing is really kind of a makeover-ish change. Shadow Children need to be hidden. They can't just be out in the open, or even seen by people. At least not often at all, and definitely only by people they know they can trust. Shadow Children grow up with a healthy fear of other people, in a way, because they know chances are extremely high that those other people will turn them over to the population police in a heartbeat. Some turn them in for no other reason that to simply claim a monetary reward. Some do it because they honestly believe and are disgusted with Shadow Children for eating up their food, breathing their air, and generally being of wasted space to them. Yet most do it to avoid punishment themselves, worried they'll be charged as conspirators should the child eventually be found.

So in the case of your character, it would be highly unlikely that he could drive a boat unless, for instance, you specified that he learned the craft by night under the watchful eye of one, or maybe only a handful of crew members he knew he could trust. Maybe those crew members also have shadow children themselves, but the point I'm trying to drive across is that Shadow Children do anything and everything to be in a constant "stealth mode", if you will. The less people who ever see them, the better.

Let me know once you've made the changes and I'll be sure to give it another look! Otherwise, great character, and I can't wait to see him in action. =D

TWERk twERK tWeRK | +

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:58 am 

Medals: 2
Original Character (1) Longest RP (1)

Hey Leu!

No worries on moving him, I assumed I would have to do that. My idea was not based on somewhere cold but somewhere remote. An area where there were not a lot of people, which is where the boat idea developed.

Ambidextrous was meant as a joke. As in he can use either hand. I will change it :)

As for the third part, I will rethink the history so it fits better. My original thought was that he never leaves the boat. Logan fed him, the crew just assumed he was one of the crew and never figured him for a Shadow Child. I can see where I failed to clarify any of that when I wrote the history though. I will certainly rewrite that.

Just to clarify, do we need to make our characters with the understanding that if they are seen they will immediately be marked as a Shadow Child? I am unfamiliar with the books so unsure how it works.

Thanks for the info! I will make the changes as soon as I am back to my laptop.

"These two great gentlemen are dedicated to a proposition which was true in my time, just as it's true today. Be excellent to each other. And PARTY ON DUDES!" - Abe Lincoln (Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:02 pm 

RN (Ratchet Nurse)

Global Moderator

Sorry for getting back to you so late! It appears that no amount of forum preparation can prepare me for when I miss a post. By like. Almost two weeks lol.

Yes, Shadow Children would definitely know that they have to work hard to always remain hidden. If their true parents didn't already tell him, like if he were abandoned or something, then Logan definitely would have.

Also I found ambidextrous funny, just confused as to where it came from. So if you wanna list Ambidextrous Hetero I'm totally fine with that baha.

Once you've posted up your history your character will be fully approved, great job! =D

TWERk twERK tWeRK | +