All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:05 pm 

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.
Medals: 8
Dedicated Partner (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (15)

Members of CF,

It's that time again, to remind our members of exactly what the title says. The chat is a privilege, not a right.

Just like what happened last time when chat was removed, it's beginning again. Rules are being broken, people are misusing the chat and arguing after being told what rule is being broken. We brought the chat back because of one reason: the want to talk to you (general) onsite, and the ability to talk to new members as they sign up, allowing us to get to know you all better in one common area.

However, I'm going to be perfectly honest with you all: I didn't want the chat back. I knew the rules would continue to be broken, and, thus far, you (again, general) are proving me right. The attitude that most seem to sport is that what they do should be allowed and entitled because this site is all about roleplay. But, the site is forum-based, not chat-based.

Not to mention, you can still get instant responses in Omega! You can create a thread for silly interactions like you use the chat for, but you refuse to because it takes a touch longer to hit "submit" rather than just hitting enter? Omega allows one liners. All you need to do is have some sort of an RP, which is what you try to do in the chat.

The rules commonly broken are as follows (directly copy/pasted from the rules and regulations):
Quote:
The chat is for chatting purposes ONLY. While, we understand that there will be times that some rp will occur in Chat, its main purpose is for talking and socializing with other members.

Content is to be kept at PG-13 until Midnight EST.To which the content may then become of the adult nature. Though not just perverted for perverted sake.

All rules applying to the forum apply to the chat as well and as such all members need to follow them and heed the word of the staff.
Quote:
5. A.Members are not allowed to bait/goad other members. Baiting/Goading is an attempt to anger and provoke another member into a negative response, regardless of whether or not it ultimately leads to a larger issue. Such behavior may lead to a warning and offending topics or posts will be removed.. #
B.Members are also not allowed to seek pity and cause drama by posting up MIAs that talk about "thinking about leaving" or something to the affect. This is not the place to seek attention and pleas for you to come back, to stay, but to let the community know if you're actually taking a leave of absence, or need to separate yourself from the site. Any offending posts or topics will be deleted or locked on sight, and if necessary, a warning may be given.

10.Members are asked not to post using l33t speak, txt speak, abbreviated expletives, posting in ALL CAPS in, In-Character posts, topics, chat or blog posts. Repeatedly posting in these methods will result in a warning.

12.There shall be no threads anywhere entitled "I'm so Bored', 'Desperate to rp', 'Need rp fix', etc. Threads found like this will be deleted on sight without a warning. There is plenty to do and participate in to keep yourself entertained, not to mention there are better ways to look for someone to rp with. I do not want to see dozens of rps started out of boredom that are only then left when the boredom has passed.

4.Spamming
1.Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.

The chat is not for you to complain that you're bored, and to harass people for RP. It's not for you to say that you're leaving because you feel like you're being mistreated or ignored. It's not for you to RP outside the usual glomping and the like. It's not for you to throw sensitive subjects like cutting and suicide around, and then play it off because you're being "emo". And it's not for you to use as your soapbox to argue about the rules, either.

As such, when people continue to break rules, they will receive a ban from the chat for no less than one hour, no more than three at the bare minimum, depending on which rule they broke and how many times they've broken it. Perhaps then you'll learn that the rules are there for a reason, and not to be disregarded just because "it's the internet".

If people continue to abuse the chat and misuse it, we'll remove it again. Why pay for something people refuse to respect?

I hope this serves as an eyeopener.
Thank you.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:29 pm 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Asteria wrote:
Not to mention, you can still get instant responses in Omega! You can create a thread for silly interactions like you use the chat for, but you refuse to because it takes a touch longer to hit "submit" rather than just hitting enter? Omega allows one liners. All you need to do is have some sort of an RP, which is what you try to do in the chat.

In regards to that, there IS a place for you to take all your urges to be random; it's called The Random Roleplay, which people have seem to have either forgotten or just don't know about.

As long as the rules of the site are followed, feel free to use this as much as you want. Be random and rp chat until your heart's content.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:36 pm 

I will probably get shot down for saying this and I suppose that's all fine and dandy but here goes...

If you didn't want the chat back, then why was it brought back? You have a very "us VS them" mentality about it, and that isn't healthy at all. If you had simply never returned it, everyone could keep to their instant messengers and skypes and whatnot and there would be no sleepness nights having to babysit your chatroom. You would also save a little money by not having to pay for the service. Everyone would stick to PM and all would be well. Would save you the headache of having to write this.

That is my view on it. Forgive me for my bluntness m'dear.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:58 pm 

Owner

Medals: 14
Villain of the Month (2) Original Character (1)
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)

It was brought back because I wanted it brought back, because I missed being able to chat and talk with members who I don't speak with outside of the site.

It also was a nice and quick way for us to help New members get settled.

Basically, the point of this post is simple. People wish to be treated like adults and wish to have something so WE provide it for them. The rules are simple. RP on the FORUM and not in the CHAT. Not hard when you have an entire site dedicated to RP, to just take the rp there. The chat is for talking, simple. Discussing an rp idea, talking about movies, anime, how your day has been, etc.

The one MAIN RULE to keep the rp on the forum should not be something we have to repeat over and over again, as if we are talking to children and not the adults and young adults everyone wishes to be treated.

IT is not an us against them mentality. It is a WE have a job that we have to do before we can enjoy rping so it would be nice that people act like adults and follow the rules to make it easier on us.

Not asking much at all.

"Any fool can write. It takes a genius to read"~Dadsky.
"Draco didn’t listen, so Hermione shut him down the best way she knew how"......"She set that ****ing on fire."
"Ausan: She's beauty, She's grace, She'll punch you in the face"~Smexy Awesome Fossil
Like Gaming? Want to Game with me? Or even just show your support? Check out my Twitch Channel!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:38 am 

I have been trying to log in chat but it keeps telling me I am inputting a invalid password but I am using the same password I have used before...I can clearly log in here but not chat, did I get blocked? Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:42 am 

Owner

Medals: 14
Villain of the Month (2) Original Character (1)
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)

Sent you a pm in regards to this issue.

"Any fool can write. It takes a genius to read"~Dadsky.
"Draco didn’t listen, so Hermione shut him down the best way she knew how"......"She set that ****ing on fire."
"Ausan: She's beauty, She's grace, She'll punch you in the face"~Smexy Awesome Fossil
Like Gaming? Want to Game with me? Or even just show your support? Check out my Twitch Channel!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:53 am 

I sincerely hope I have not been a bother on this issue. For what it's worth, I wholeheartedly agree with the complaints Asteria and Eferhilda have expressed. Every one of us has had to read and agree to the rules which are being broken, so there really is no excuse.

Perhaps this is more an issue of implementation than of planning? I have never once, in the days since I joined this site, been in the chat without seeing at least one Moderator (now that I know how to identify them). It is logical to me that rulebreaking should therefore be more or less easily curtailed by a gentle reminder. If that reminder is ignored, perhaps that user's chat should suddenly malfunction for a few hours.

The point I raise is already touched on by Asteria: I sense that this is less about rulebreaking and more about the fact that we should not have to be reminded that the rules are there. I have never once had to be reminded that stalking or assault are illegal in my state; it's something everyone knows and no one questions. These rules are a bit less severe than that, but the point remains. I suggest that this is more a statement of annoyance that these rules are being ignored and not simply "forgotten".

I know I have brought up some sensitive subjects a few times. Each time I was reminded that the topic may not need to go in that direction (Thank you, Vampire Panda, for being my compass). That was enough for me. To that end, I will pledge myself to informing staff of potential rulebreaking when/if I see it. It's easy to evade rules if you see there are no staff online; less so if the chat becomes self-policing. The more members we have willing to remind others of what's supposed to be happening, the less likely it is that others will be tempted to diverge from that path.

That's really all I can do without exceeding my limits as a site member. I am no moderator, for certain; I just got here. However, I would like to see these kind people get what they want. They've been nothing but helpful to me since I arrived; I think we can cut them a break, don't you?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:10 pm 

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)

Trance,

Thank you so much for posting this. It makes me smile to know that someone out there that is new to CF is willing to stand up and take a stand! I really do appreciate it as does I'm sure most of the staff if not all. So again thank you :)

forever and always,
~Taylor