All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Visual World IC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:55 pm 

lurking

Blog: View Blog (0)

Brightly Knox
The day had started out normally. I swear it was just as smoggy and filled with soot as it had been yesterday.

My sister’s blaring alarm going off in the other room is what jostled me out of my dreams. I groaned deeply with my pillow covering my face before pounding a few times on the wall my sister and I shared. I wasn’t a morning person, but I definitely was more of one than Kamille. My sister could have that alarm going off for half an hour but still be sound asleep. Instead she decided to wake up the entire neighborhood.

Accepting defeat, I rolled out of bed and swiftly made my way to my sister’s room with my pillow in hand. I stifle the alarm by slapping the snooze button. Not even a twitch from my sister. Reasoning that she had asked for it, I slam my pillow into her face. She had to get to work and I wasn’t going to let her be late again. She was destined to be a building designer from the start, and her boss has given her way too many final warnings about showing up late. I leave the room before Kamille can destroy me for interrupting her beauty sleep. I image her giving me some pleasant silent gestures behind my back.

My father greets me with a smile and slides a small plate of breakfast in front of me. I quickly sign 'thank you' and smile back. Our pantry must almost be out again. Between us hardly making enough money to get by and food supply being low, our meal options were steadily running out. I take a piece of toast and head to my room to get dressed. I worked with as an intern at a blacksmith since no one else would hire me. I only get paid if my boss is in a good mood.

I open our squeaky front door and pull my small cloth face mask over my mouth and nose. The area we lived in was incredibly dust and smog filled. Breathing the air here is like inhaling sand.

A ravine stretches out before me. It goes down deep into the mines, but I wasn’t going there. I hurry across a precarious bridge that spanned the ravine. Oil lanterns hung from bent and broken metal poles illuminating the ground just enough so you won’t trip and fall. Once I cross the bridge I take a right and walk down the middle of some rail cart tracks. A train whistle tells me to step out of the way so I quickly press myself to the stone wall to my left. Two carts of coal speed down the tracks past me while nearly pushing me off balance.

I make it to work before another cart comes. I don’t even have enough time to get my safety goggles before a loud screech echoes throughout the whole town. It takes me a moment to realize it’s the old and rusted intercoms that are spread throughout. Usually they’re used to report emergencies like explosions or some poor guy falling off a bridge. This time was different.

A man spoke for a long time about the food shortages. He spoke about how humanity needed brave people to go. He said that they needed the lowest of the low. The people that didn’t fit in. They finally had a place where we could fit. I heard adventure and money and I was already hooked.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: A Visual World IC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 pm 

Time Has No Mastery Over Me

The market was nearly empty. Of course, it was usually empty early in the mornings. A lot of vendors wouldn't start showing up for another few hours, but Alanna had been restless. Alanna was always restless.

She shifted her weight from foot to foot her eyes scanning the other stalls. The man who ran the medical supply stand was blearily looking through his wares, setting out what he expected would go fast during the day. The only sound was the small clinks and rustling of his movement. Alanna was alone in the stall, not for the first time, but was relatively happy to be selling today instead of attending school. Her mother, Sarah, had woken up with a horrible sounding cough. Alanna had easily volunteered to run the stand while her father took care of her mother at the house. Any sort of sickness in her family was treated seriously now.

A few people began to meander past, their eyes flitting over her before returning to their path. Alanna made sure to smile at all of the passerby. She knew a few by name and would call out a gentle greeting making sure not to shout loud enough to shatter the quiet atmosphere.

"Where are your parents?" The voice was low and pleasant. Alanna shifted slightly to smile brilliantly at the newcomer.

"Sick in bed. Good morning, Valek." The man she spoke to looked to be in his early thirties, a dust covered bag slung over his shoulder, dark hair neatly trimmed but messily styled. Valek owned the stall directly next to hers and they had grown to be decent friends over the years. He sold cutlery and other interesting tidbits that came his way.

"That's too bad," he said with a small sigh. Valek entered his stall, slinging his bag to the ground in a carefree manner. Alanna wondered how he could be so careless with his wares and still sell them. "So it's just you today." It was obviously a statement not warranting any commentary, but Alanna treated it like a question anyway.

"Yeah. It won't be that bad though." She said smiling at another passerby. "I like working in the market."

"Yeah, well..." Valek strode over glancing at the various items on her counter. "Let me be your first customer. Have any peaches?"

Alanna smiled brightly and began to rummage through the bags she had hefted from the house. After a few minutes she came back up with a sigh. "Seems they're in short supply."

"What isn't these days?" He said waving away her unspoken apology. She smiled and giggled at his statement, but it was true. Most food was in shortage. Her family only sold a few food items; the rest being things like light bulbs and electronic gear. Lately the food had been in short supply, only a few canned foods and a few bags of grain in their stock. Even the vendors who worked solely in food didn't have much variety. It was one of the unspoken issues of the market. "How about a few of these?" He said tapping a couple of lightbulbs with a lazy smile.

"How many do you need?"

"Three sound good?"

Alanna smiled brightly. "Three it is."

It wasn't long before more customers came. Her day fell into the normal rhythm and routine. She smiled and chatted with people while procuring their orders. Valek would speak to her during a few of the lulls. Alanna found herself bouncing slightly when not in action. While she loved speaking with the people and getting them their orders...it was too easy. Alanna could do this with her eyes closed. While it kept her decently busy, her mind tended to wander.

Alanna had just handed a customer their order, a smile on her face though her soul was far from the market, when the speakers began to spit out static. They hardly ever used the emergency speakers. A man, with a calm voice, began to speak through them. Voices in the market died out. The thing that the vendors refused to speak about. The food shortage was broadcast across the city. A few of the customers glanced to the stalls as if realizing that the food there was suddenly more precious. Alanna, however, found herself listening to the man's speech about bravery. He spoke of the outcasts. They needed people and Alanna found herself thinking of the announcement long after the speakers fell silent.

She went through the motions. She spoke to the customers echoing their sentiments about the abruptness of the announcement. She sold off the remnants of her food rather quickly. Alanna thought of the adventure. She thought of the offer and she knew that she wanted to do it. No, she needed to. This was her chance to do something other than the normal.

This was bravery. Adventure. The exact opposite of her life. Her mind was made, and she felt herself excited for the end of the work day, ready to start her adventure.

The only thing wrong with immortality is that it tends to go on forever.
-Herb Caen

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:51 am 

...looking for some new RP's.

Medals: 2
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Two men sat to face each other. They thoughtfully looked over a couple of drawings - newer and older ones. Pictures of people, some of them with crossed out faces, others still freshly drawn.
It was silent, except for the occasional gestures.
“This one? Don’t you feel it’s a waste to send him?” stated one of them finally.

“He insisted on joining his sister. We can’t do anything about that. He is not one of the visuals anyway.” Responded the other person slowly, breaking up each sentence, as if speaking was an inconvenience to him.
The first person did not answer, but continued to flip through the drawings slowly. He discarded them one by one. Finally, only a few pictures remained. The rest were stowed away.
“Isn’t this a suicide troupe?” the first one asked again, after making some gestures.
“We will see.” Said the second one, and then silence covered the room again for a very long time.

Marika Rylais

As usual, I fell asleep and woke up early to the same quiet scratching sound of tools and pencil on paper.
Veit did not seem to need any sleep or rest, no matter how I urged him. Maybe the reason he could stay awake was because he took naps during the day often.
Stretching and slowly exiting the bed, I tapped around the cramped space in the one-room Flat to not disturb my brother in his work. Splashing a bit of water in my face, I washed the tiredness off my face, and woke up fully.

Entering the small kitchen, silently rummaging for ingredients I put water to boil, and a pan on the stove, making tea and a simple meal. I hummed a little, and sighed when I noticed that our food reserves were almost empty again.

Veitinari insisted on coffee, but there was no coffee to buy lately, making a grumpy teenager even grumpier. Sometimes I called him an old man because of that grumpiness. And sometimes he got coffee from his workplace, as a reward for working hard.

Placing the food and tea on the table, I turned to my still working brother.
“Veit. Today is the day, right? Let’s eat up, so I can shop something later, right?”

Veitinari Rylais

Looking up from my latest design - one of the tunnel trains, improved a bit - I saw my sister urging me to eat. I dont notice time passing so fast, when I work. It is really a big help, that she is here to make me keep track of the days and nights.

When I stretched myself, my joints made weird noises and hurt again, so I sat down quickly to eat after washing up. Marika had been cooking for both of us, for a very long time now, but it was never bad. Lately the food had been very bland though. It was not her fault. Just there was no salt and very few spices left on the market.

My growing spurt spurred my appetite, and I ate two portions of the food she cooked. I don’t know when I started to notice that she was leaving exactly two thirds of our whole meal for me, instead of splitting it in half.
But from that day on, I started to work twice as hard, to earn more money for us two.

Mari was struggling to do simple math, and she was not really good in drawing either. She had a lot of other talents to make up for this, but most people would not see them. I could not always watch her, but recently I started to go to the markets with her, so that they would not trick her in any way. Just because she could not express herself in pictures, people mistook her for an idiot.

“Mhm. I will join you shopping today.”

My eyes met a happy and surprised face, as Marika giggled and hummed again.
Shrugging my shoulders, I busied myself with the preparations, as my sister jumped through the house foolishly happy, as usual.

Two siblings set out, about the same height, and similar clothes. From the back, only Maris braided hair pointed out that she was the sister, and Veit was the brother. Almost same height, similar stature. The ‘Twins’, how people recently started to call them, set out for groceries. Their last few days had been quiet, and only the announcements now and then reminded that there was an urgent situation.

Listening to the voice, Marika’s eyes sparkled with curiosity and eagerness to adventure, while Veit had his usual dark look on the face. His brows were furrowed a little more than usual, as if they could see all hidden secrets in a person’s heart.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:09 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)

Nira was hiding in a cupboard.

He hadn't really intended to spend the last half hour in such a small, unusual space, but it had happened and he was trying to deal with it as best he could.

He wasn't allowed in any of his parents' central greenhouses or labs. Nira had been raised on the principle of hard work. His father didn't give him a position in the central unit on such a cheap hereditary basis, despite his wife's insistence. So Nira worked on an outer compound, where the less exciting work was done. He had been making his way up, slowly but surely. He still felt the call of the central building, and his impulsive behaviour had led to the habit of observing and investigating the place. It happened almost daily that Nira sneaked in to examine the plants and chemicals that were grown, produced, and studied. Plus, the air was fresh, much fresher than anything outside the large glass domes that surrounded the buildings.

Getting in was easy enough. Nira knew of a loose grate near the back of the dome that slipped open if one was nimble-fingered. The problem was not getting caught by the range of scientists, farmers, and occasional guards that walked the beautifully decorated corridors.

This time Nira had gone into a research lab, where it looked like they were attempting to clone grain. He had been looking through the charts and files with increasing pessimism for the project when the doors had slid open, forcing him into a panic and a frighteningly small, luckily empty cupboard.

The short Korean man's knees were jammed into his chest, which trapped a strongly beating heart. His glasses were falling off his face, but he didn't have the room to push them back up. He heard a voice from the room. It said a single word that contained comfortingly familiar syllables.

"Sung-soo."

His father's name. Nira shifted, attempting to hear more, but it appeared that the scientists were now communicating with their graphs, charts, and drawings. If only he could open the door, just a small inch without anyone noticing...

Nira waited, and waited. He had always been good at waiting, and staying quiet. It was what he been asked to do most of the time as a child. He waited until the sound of footsteps filled the room as the group rushed off. Nira's glasses fell off his face, producing a quiet clatter as they hit the bottom of the cupboard.

Nira pushed the door open with his foot, placing his glasses back on his face as he stretched out. He had to leave. The idea of being caught by his father worried him.

Nira left out the grate, taking deep breaths as his body acclimatized to the change in air quality. The main research facility was in a better part of their dome, but the smog from the mining and industrial areas still left an unpleasant tang to the air. Nira had never been there himself, and never been allowed to. His mother controlled his life, even as he had become an adult. He longed to escape.

His mother wasn't expecting Nira to be back from his class, which he had skipped, until later in the day. His feet led him almost instinctively to the market. Despite being from a well-off family, Nira didn't stand out with his brown slacks and gray shirt. He melted into the crowd, looking around and gathering inspiration for a new painting. His eyes saw the flesh of the people melt away until they were made of bones of glass, filled with light. The market stalls became towers of dead flowers, with a living bloom scattered here and there. The caved ceiling disappeared, leaving only a vast blue expanse above. The sky. Nira had only heard of it. How much he longed to see it.

An unearthly screech filled the market, causing several people to freeze or jump in shock. The noise came from the intercoms, and was halted to be replaced with the voice of a man.

Food shortages. Bravery. Misfits. Adventure. Nira's head cocked to the side s he listened, eyes gleaming with excitement. Would they take him, knowing his family? He felt like one, a misfit in conformist's clothing. He had to go.

Nira had to see the sky.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:34 am 

lurking

With a sputter of static the intercom shut off. The clanging of metal and steam bursting from old pipes brings me back to reality. The entryway led to a precarious set of stairs. Up for my bosses house, down for the engines and pipes. The heavy door behind me squeaks shut while I reach for my goggles which I pull on over my ponytail. The goggles probably made me look borderline like a mad scientist, but as someone who works with Laoz Junk, I felt obligated to look the part.

I check a few meters that line the cave walls around me before hurrying down the spiral staircase. The steps rumble under my weight and I nearly hit my head on ones above my head. The sound of grunting emits from around the corner from a engine that towered over me. When I reach the bottom of the stairs I start hearing the clang of metal on metal. I recognized it as a pattern. S-O-S in morse code.

“Oh stop being so dramatic, I’ll be right there!” I grab a toolbox and a pair of gloves off a work bench and hurry over to where Mr.Junk was stationed trying to fix a leaky pipe. It always confused me why we needed steam engines when we’re a mining city. Our people mine coal but it’s only used in other cities mostly. If we mines and burned coal at once everyone would probably have to walk around with gas masks at all hours. The steam helped power things like heat in houses and the carts that rolled supplies down to and from the mines.

Junk was forcefully trying to tighten something until the pipe popped and started spewing steam. These pipes were old but beautiful. For such a dirty town when you find the places where soot and smog doesn’t reach, they aren’t place you’ll want to forget. Crystals sparkled in the walls from lamp light. Bronze and iron machinery was kept shiny and clean by Junk and I. The machinery wasn’t really my forte, but I could help out around here. I knew everything about how the machines worked but Mr.Junk didn’t think I was ready to handle some of it on my own. I collected crystals from the walls, sewed patches into old gloves-

Mr.Junk pounded on the metal pipe to grab my attention. I held out the toolbox to him and let him do his magic. Soon the steam calmed down and he just had to make a few precautionary adjustments. I decided to take the opportunity to bring up the intercom announcement.

“Did you hear what they said over the intercom? Go on an adventure to help find a fix to food shortages in the whole underground! It sounded pretty interesting to me,” Laoz made no indication that he was listening but sometimes he would just let me ramble at him. “It would probably be really dangerous but I wonder if any machinery we used would be like this. I could be a good asset on some sort of crew don’t you think?”

I was surprised when two logs for arms wrapped around me. Mr.Junk was a very big man, much taller than me even. He was strong and had light brown hair buzzed short. He was hugging me. Would he really miss me that much? I didn’t think Laoz cared about me that much, but he seemed on the edge of crying.

“Be careful, please,” I wouldn’t have heard him if he wasn’t holding me. What had come over my usually stoic and silent boss? I wrap my arms around his middle.

“I’m smart aren’t I? Careful is my middle name!” Mr.Junk’s hold on me loosens as he rumbles with a nervous laugh. I wanted to do this more than any other opportunity I’ve ever been given. Which hasn’t been many. This was my shot and I knew I had to take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:36 pm 

Time Has No Mastery Over Me

"You paying attention?" A woman's voice brought Alanna back to the task at hand.

"Yes of course, my apologies." Alanna smiled warmly at the woman and continued to sort through her dwindling wares. She measured out a portion of rice and tied it up nicely in a small bag.

"Don't forget the peas."

Alanna glanced up at the woman taking in the sight of her. Her brown hair was neatly tied back, slight wrinkles were starting to creep onto her face, but the seemingly constant scowl made them seem smaller than they were. Dark eyes darted to Alanna's own. The woman's mouth puckered slightly as if simply staring at Alanna had left a sour taste in her mouth.

"I have them right here." She said in a soothing tone as she placed the can of peas next to the small bag of rice.

"About time," there was a small clatter as the woman threw the money onto the counter before marching towards the next stall. Alanna sighed and gathered the scattered coins, counting as she did so. Thankfully no one stopped at her stall as she placed the money into a small bag hidden on her person. She let herself sink onto her counter, half wanting to bury her face into her arms.

Everyone had been knocked off-kilter by the announcement. Alanna wanted nothing more than to sign up right away, but she had her parents to think about. She had the business to keep up. The people visiting the Market had been knocked into some sort of mood. Some were excited, chattering about the announcement to anyone who would listen. Others were wary, angry, ready to tear into anyone and everyone. Many foul moods were shifted to the vendors.

"You okay?" Valek watched her from his stall eyebrows knitting together from worry.

"It's just..." Alanna struggled to find the words as her eyes scanned over the Market, "they act as if the shortage is our fault."

"We're the ones they can take it out on." Valek said toying with the small knife he always kept on his person. "They're unhappy. Starting to starve, or in some places already starving. They need to take it out on someone. We're the best they've got." He sighed running his thumb over the flat of the blade. "It hasn't gotten violent yet. Look on the bright side, Lanna."

Alanna immediately scowled.

"Sorry," Valek said wincing at the look, "but really look on the bright side. They're making a team to fix it. The people may be upset, but that team could save us all."

I want to be a part of that, Alanna thought. Her chest filled with hope at the mere mention of the team. She wanted to get away from her life, that was true, but she also wanted to help. If she could do anything...

"I know that look," Valek's voice had softened to the point that Alanna had a hard time hearing him over the other people. She met Valek's eyes and watched as some sort of sadness washed over him. He glanced away as a man with close cropped hair stopped at his stall.

As Alanna glanced away, she caught sight of a familiar face. Well, not quite familiar in the sense that she had spoken to this guy multiple times...it was more like one time. He had seemed lost at the time, so she had taken some time away from the stall leaving her parents side to give him a small tour. She remembered the fluffy black hair, and the rounded copper glasses which always seemed perched precariously on his nose.

Alanna could hardly remember the name, but she did remember his soft-spoken ways.

"Alanna," she turned away from the guy focusing instead on Valek's sad expression. "I know what you're thinking."

"Do you?"

"You want to go be a part of that team. I know you. I know that look." He then began to rummage around his stand. Alanna knew from experience that he began to dig into the expensive stuff. After a moment he stood back up his hand clutched around something he was keeping from view. "You should do it. They won't want you to...not after what happened to...."

Sorrow descended, and Valek seemed unable to finish the thought. Alanna didn't want him to.

"But you should. I think you'll be a good fit."

Alanna found herself shaking her head. "I don't have any good skills-"

"The world always needs kindness. They'll want you. Trust me." Valek brushed away her words easily. "Do it." He moved out of his stall and walked into her own. He watched her looking suddenly older. "Here, take this with you." He said pressing something slightly warm and very hard into her hands. "Never know what you'll need."

Valek moved away going back to his stall, and Alanna glanced at the object he had pushed into her hands. It was a knife, ornately made with swirling copper on the outside. She flicked it open, and stared at the blade. It was just a bit longer than her pinkie finger and looked sharp. She flicked it back shut and glanced to Valek, who was dealing with a customer.

Alanna decided, then, that she would apply. She would try, and if it worked she would take the knife as a memento of someone who believed in her. Valek was right. Her parents would be totally against her decision. But she was old enough. She didn't need their permission.

Her eyes went back to scanning the crowd as she slipped the knife into her pocket, the metal warm with her resolve.

The only thing wrong with immortality is that it tends to go on forever.
-Herb Caen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:12 am 

...looking for some new RP's.

Medals: 2
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

The Market was crowded, but the noises Marika and Veit heard, were not the usual, pleasant and discussing ones. Sounds of discontent and a very tense atmosphere was apparent. Marika, sensitive to the atmosphere, went quiet, and stopped humming. Veit, oblivious to the atmosphere, but paying attention to his sister, watched out more vigilantly, if she was tricked while making deals.

Usually, the siblings would not allow themselves some extravagancies, besides coffee for Veit and some cupcakes or sweets for Marika. This time not even those were available, and what is more, they went for supplies that would last a long while, and not easily spoil during a possible travel. Buying a little here and there, they slowly could stock up for their supplies, and even buy a little bit more.
Veit did not know how she got it, but Marika even managed to get some dried persimmons and apple slices from one of her usual vendor ladies. Later, the two siblings strolled the market, until they were tired.

Turning back, they were on their way out, as some unrest hit the market. Two customers wanted to buy a last piece of something, and started to get violent about it. Veit grabbed Marikas arm, as she tried to move forward to help and pulled her back. He knew it was better not to get involved in such things, and ignored her accusing glance.

The fight started to escalate, and some government guards finally appeared to settle it. Sighing, Veit relaxed, and tried to lead the sulking girl out of the Marketplace as another announcement rang.

Wanting to regulate the trading and the unrests about food shortage, they would start to distribute food only in limited rations, soon.

Marika blinked a little, and looked at Veit questioningly. The boy had a dark face, and just murmured "I'll tell you later.", urging her to go faster.
While half the people were still confused about it, the people who understood it, started to rush to the shops, storming off just to buy anything they could need before they could not buy anything anymore.

Waves of panicky grabbing and pushing occurred, and Veit and Marika were still swept up in that.
The hasty movements spread onto everyone, and the two youths felt like a pair of floats on the rocky ocean waves during a storm.
Veit grabbed Marikas hand tightly, as they tried to resist the wave, but they could not escape.
Finally, at an intersection in the Market, Veitinari tugged on Marikas arm, and they toppled and plopped down next to two almost empty stalls, behind the counters. At least, there were not as many customers here, and they had a little bit of space to move.
Sighing, Veit brushed away the sweat on his pale forehead, while Marika apologized to the owners of the stall behind the counters.
But, for now it was impossible to leave the place, because waves of people were pushing forward, grabbing and fighting for the last ressources.
Even the guards could not stop the flood of people, they were lacking seriously in manpower.
Looking at the unrest , the frown on the boy's face deepened.
"It finally toppled over." Veitinari murmured darkly.

"What do you mean?" Marika turned around and whispered to her brother.

"The fragile balance...of this world." her brother explained, then went silent from the curious stares of the two vendors closeby.
"Balance? .. you mean that food shortage, right?" Marika wanted to get something out of her brother, but he went silent.
After a while of waiting in silence, Marika asked again.
"Will we be able to go and apply to the exploring today...?" she tugged on one of his sleeves, as if she was the younger sister, and he the older brother.
Veitinari still kept his silence, but just before his sister could ask louder and again and again, he sighed and replied.
"We will be called." He shook his head. "They call it an application, but in truth, its already decided."
Marikas mouth formed a little "O" Shape before she hugged him.
"You applied for me, right?" she sounded excited.
Patting his sisters back awkwardly, the boys face only slightly softened.
"Its not anything like that."

Veitinari Rylais

I hope Marika retains her innocence, even if it might lower her chances of survival. I will be responsible for that. Thinking that, as my excited sister hugged me closely, I thought of the dangers yet to come. But even then, the exploration would maximize our chances of survival. Staying here, as two orphaned siblings, even though I worked for the government and they would feed me, they would not do that to Marika. Sending off the weakest links to work in mines or fields was a common practise. With the food shortage, they would protect the 'valuable' people first.
Scrunching my face a little, I looked around, just to catch a stare of the vendor girl next to us. By now, most stalls were empty, and the people were trodding away from the market, after emptying it nearly completely. It was still quite full though, so we would have to wait a little more.
Soon, a call would come, for those who were selected. Of course lots of people would apply as well, and they would check over them. But the main people would be contacted for this. Grabbing Marikas hand, I set my sights onto leaving the market as soon as it cleared up a little more.

Marika Rylais

I saw that Veit was overthinking things again. He was a worrywart after all, so I just hugged him tighter, in spite of his noticeable embarassement. He was long out of the age where he would enjoy my hugs in public... But, growing up with him, I could see his worries written on his face. It was nothing I could solve, so the only thing I could do, is console my little brother a little.

It would be hard to leave our place that we worked hard for, but we had pulled through even worse situations. As Veit tried to prepare for leaving, I once again apologized and thanked the vendors who had no choice but to harbor us, since we could not even go back because of the sudden flood of people.