All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Family Affairs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:53 am 

Wandering through uncharted space...

Location: Canada... Somewhere in the North of Kere's Domain...
Medals: 6
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)
1st Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Braiden was pacing his room, for the last few days he'd been thinking hard on a plan. The rumours at court had gotten to the point that a few of his advisors were now loudly suggesting he send his wife off and take a new wife. Something Braiden refused, whole heartedly, to ever do. He would not cast Esther aside. He had to find a solution to get an heir without Esther being removed as his queen. He refused to allow this. He had told the advisors as much and it had led to much arguing. Sighing he needed advice on this plan that wasn't biased on the crown's succession.

With determined strides he left his room and headed to the room that housed his wife's sister and her husband. He found Fernando someone easy to talk to and a good friend of his. Someone he could almost trust. Maybe Fernando would be unbiased to talk to. He had come up with a plan as he'd spent sleepless night after sleepless night. Thinking over this problem to exhaustion. With tired eyes and an even more tired mind he ran the idea through his head again.

He would take a mistress and bed her, get her with child and if the child was male he would ask Esther to adopt him as her's. Legitimizing the child as theirs. He would become their heir and their child. Esther could get a wetnurse for the child and they could then dispose of the mistress and go back to their married bliss. Yes this was a perfect plan.

Or so he thought anyways. It would insure they raised the child, insure that they had a child and it would keep Esther with him.

With that thought firmly in mind he knocked sharply on the door before he opened it to their antechamber. Signalling the servant who was tiding up. "I require a word with Fernando, find him," Braiden ordered and the servant ran off to comply with his wishes. Braiden settled himself on the couch and ordered tea from another servant who was also quick to obey. Leaning back on the couch he crossed his legs and waited for Fernando to join him.

@Shades @Sojourn

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Family Affairs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:55 pm 

Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (1)
1st Year (1) Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

The rumors were spreading about Queen Esther and her sister did not like them. Isabel hated that people were talking about her little sister behind her back. Calling her barren and suggesting that Braiden find a new queen. One that would give him a heir. If he did that, it would surely devastate her sister. And Isabel would be very angry. She knew Esther loved his Majesty very much. And he seemed to truly love her back.

Isabel's husband, Fernando, told her to pay no mind to the rumors. People in the court always like to spread them. Some people loved to cause trouble and scheme because they had no nothing better to do. People did that back home all the time. It was surely no different in England. The rumors were probably started by Braiden's Aunt Victoria, just to start trouble for the royal couple. Isabel hoped her husband was right. She knew Esther was grown now. She was the Queen of England, after all. However, Isabel would always think of her as her little sister and always be protective of her.

It was nice to Isabel to be in England and spending a holiday here. Tuscany, an independent country from Italy, was so different then here. She loved any chance she had to spend with Esther and Cosimo enjoyed spending time with his mother's family as well. Isabel and Fernando were planning to take Cosimo out a day trip. They wanted him to get to experience another culture. However, he was currently showing his auntie Esther all the new English words he knew. Cosimo's first language was Italian but the young boy was quickly learning his mother's native language as well. It didn't take long for the servant to find Fernando at Braiden's command.

"Tell his Majesty I will be right there."

Fernando told the servant and gave his wife a kiss on the cheek.

"I will be right back. Cosimo, behave for your mother and aunt."

"Yes, Papa."

Cosimo replied with a grin, as Fernando playing messed up his hair a little. Although Isabel wondered why Braiden would need to see Fernando right away. She knew her husband and brother-in-law got along well. Both considered each other friends and family. Fernando headed to the chambers Braiden always provided for his family to use when the visited.

"Hello, Braiden. I heard you need to see me right away. Is something wrong?"

Fernando asked as he entered the bedchambers and took a seat across from the king. Given their closeness, he didn't refer to Braiden on formal terms. He did wonder if something was wrong, especially when his Majesty only wanted to talk to him, not in front of their wives or Cosimo.

ImageImage

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:50 am 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Esther was deeply grateful for her sister’s presence in England. Her presence and little Cosimo’s affection made things much easier for her in the times she was going through. Being a queen, Esther was constantly under scrutiny, and one of the worst parts was the fact that she had to deal with the rumors. The barren Queen. That was what the rumors said. That the Queen could not provide an heir to the King, and should be cast aside in favor of one who could. “She cannot even produce a girl”, the rumors said, breaking Esther’s heart.

The only thing that comforted her a little was to know that Braiden would never cast her aside. That would have killed her, as Esther really loved her husband. But the fact that they had no child remained, and she was unsure of what to do to make things work.

For now, though, she was more interested in hearing little Cosimo say the new words in English he had learned. Despite her inability to conceive, Esther had never felt envy towards her sister. She knew God was in charge, and it was not Isabel’s fault that she might be unable to have a child.

Picking her nephew up and cradling him in her arms, Esther covered the boy with kisses. “You are becoming a very intelligent little gentleman”, she complimented happily. “Your son is the most adorable child in the world, sister”, the young queen added to her sister. She was being honest, as Cosimo was a well-behaved child and was being raised properly. Esther was very proud of her nephew’s behavior, as she felt he could be presented in any Court without making anyone ashamed of him.

While Fernando left to talk to Braiden - and she wondered for a moment what matters they would discuss -, Esther turned her attention back to her sister and nephew. Ruffling Cosimo’s hair, she smiled. “Sister, if you and Fernando wish to send Cosimo off to further his studies when he is older, please consider sending him here, and Braiden and I will see that he finds a place in Oxford”, she requested. “It is a fine institution, after all, and we will be able to keep an eye on him”, she carried on.

After a pause, she spoke in a softer and sadder intonation. “It might be my only chance to care for a child of my own blood”, she murmured, trying not to start crying. It was more than clear that the rumors were getting to Esther and hurting her deeply, even though she would not acknowledge them in public.

@Fain @Sojourn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:43 pm 

Braiden watched the servant return with his message and nodded. Leaning back and relaxing again. He gave a genuine and warm smile as Fernando joined him. He was worried about what he was going to say and the darkness in his eyes showed his fear and uncertain. His reservation.

"In a matter of speak Fernando there is," Braiden sighed heavily. His eyes closed as if the subject was painful to discuss. Drawing in a breath he went on. "The court is pushing to have my wife removed as Queen so another may take her place. They claim she is barren and that it is my royal obligation to produce an heir." He drew in another breath before he pressed on. His voice growing soft, but just as stead. "I love her Fernando I cannot just leave her. I need a solution to this that keeps Esther with me. As my Queen. As my wife."

He let the words hang between them for a long moment. Thinking through how best to word what he had to say. He leaned his head back further keeping his eyes closed as he admitted something he thought never to have to admit to anyone.

"I have found only one way that could work around the restrictions. To have a mistress conceive the child from myself and then allow Esther to adopt the child into our family. Making him legally hers. Thus insuring the sanctity of the bloodline for succession," It was evident as Braiden spoke that he knew how deeply this would wound his wife. How reluctant he was to do or suggest such a thing. He did not want to seek a child outside his marital bed, but he didn't have a choice. He needed an heir. it was his duty. His obligation. His responsibility. If he did not. He would be allowing the throne to be under uncertainty and allow civil unrest to stir the kingdom. He couldn't allow that.

Speaking these words left Braiden hallow inside and as he finished speaking he looked over to Fernando with pleading eyes. His expression grave and the resignation evident in his face. Sadness darkened his features.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:19 pm 

Isabel didn't like the rumors about her sister. While she secretly wanted no more children, childbirth terrified her, she did pray to God that her sister would be blessed with one. She didn't doubt Braiden's love for Esther, but kings were expected to have heirs. At least one child, preferably a son. If Esther did not do that, then people in Court may pressure Braiden to move on to a more fertile woman. Isabel knew Esther would be devastated if that happened.

Isabel smiled as she watched her sister cradle Cosimo.

"Thank you, Auntie Queen."

Cosimo told her with a smile when she complimented him. Auntie Queen was what he called Esther. He knew she was very important to her kingdom, but he wanted to make sure everyone also know that Esther was his aunt.

"Thank you, sister."

Isabel replied, very proud of her son. She and Fernando were trying to raise him to be a proper boy. Someday he would become the Grand Duke of Tuscany, after all. She nodded her head to Esther.

"That is a good idea to discuss. I want him as fully educated as possible. Although, I will miss him if he went to Oxford."

Isabel loved Cosimo very much. Her favorite duty was being a mother. And if she had her way, Cosimo would be her only child. While she'd go through pregnancy and childbirth all over again for him, she didn't want to give birth to more children. It had been scary to her and she had been afraid she'd die. She didn't want to repeat that experience. Not she had told her husband that. After all, good wives gave their husbands many children. Nor did she express her worries to Esther. She knew how much her sister desired a child of her own and she didn't want to upset her with her own fears. She touched Esther's shoulder.

"Do not think that. God will bless you with a child of your own, I truly believe that."

She told her sister, wishing she could find who started the rumors to begin with.

--------------------------------------------

Fernando enjoyed Braiden's company. Although he only addressed him informally when they were alone or only with their wives and Cosimo. He'd never just call England's king by his first name in Court. Fernando could see that that Braiden had much on his mind. He frowned at what the king had to say.

"I know you love her. Just as I love her sister."

Although Braiden and Esther's marriage was arranged, Fernando could see their love was true. Just as true as his love was for Isabel. He could see the idea of pushing Esther aside for another was not something Braiden truly wanted to do. He thought over Braiden's suggestion. Not the most ideal one but also would most likely please the Court since a heir would come out of it.

"What if Esther will not accept the child? I know she loves children, her love for Cosimo is clear. However, he shares her blood. What if she rejects this child because she is not related to him or her?"

Fernando asked Braiden. He could not speak for Esther, but not all women were willing to raise a child they were not related to. He knew Esther had helped raised her younger siblings with Isabel after their mother passed. But again, the children shared her blood. Not the mention that Esther might be devastated about sharing her husband with another woman, even if was to have a child to succeed Braiden and keep peace in the country.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:42 pm 

Sort of back.

Esther was trying to keep her worries away from her mind for now. She didn’t have her sister, brother in law and nephew around all the time, after all. For now, she really hoped to forget about the rumors and simply enjoy her time with them. That, and she knew that her sister would probably go into protective sister mode if she seemed too upset. And she really, really hoped that her sister would not hear someone speaking directly about her inability to provide the King with a child. That could, and probably would, lead to embarrassments Esther really didn’t want to have to deal with.

Her expression turned lighter when Cosimo thanked her. “You are welcome, dear”, she replied, laughing softly. It was so adorable to hear the little boy call her ‘Auntie Queen’ that Esther refrained from correcting him. As far as she was concerned, Cosimo could call her whatever he wanted, as long as he allowed her to shower him with kisses. In her heart, Esther feared that Cosimo, and whatever other children her sister had, would be her only chance to love a child of her own blood like her own. Of course, she wouldn’t touch this matter now.

Focusing on her nephew’s future, Esther nodded when her sister told her she would miss the boy if he went to Oxford. Of course she could understand that, and would never push the issue if her sister said she didn’t want to send Cosimo off to study elsewhere. “I know you would, sister, and it was merely an option in case you and Fernando prefer to send him to study abroad. I know it seems to be becoming habitual for families to do so, and in that case, England would be a good option, I believe”.

When Isabel told her God would bless her with a child, Esther forced herself to smile and nod. “I believe He will, sister”, she murmured, even though her faith wasn’t as strong as Isabel’s regarding this matter.

Releasing her nephew after another shower of kisses, she looked at Isabel. “What do you say we add a trip to our palace near Oxford to our plans? I believe Braiden would have to stay behind, but we can go and take Cosimo with us. It is a lot smaller than this one, and it reminds me of home”, Elizabeth proposed, thinking that maybe a few days away from Court would do both sisters good. With all these rumors around, all the Queen wanted was a break and some space - even from her husband, she had to admit, if only to herself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:39 am 

Braiden wanted nothing more then to get up and pace. He was worried. About more then just that. He was worried about what would occur should Esther then find herself pregnant with a son of her own someday. There were so many things that could go wrong that Braiden felt as if he was drowning in worries. His eyes closed at the reality of the situation.

“I don’t know, I am worried to mention it. I have seen the hurt in her eyes over the rumours. I want to reassure her that she will not be removed as my wife or my queen. Though I must produce an heir. I do not have a choice. It would be remiss to leave the throne hanging in the balance. The court would never accept it and I would invite civil war in my own kingdom should I allow that to happen. What other choice do I have?” Braiden asked. He knew Fernando couldn’t really give him an answer. No one could, but he was glad to have someone to share his fears with.

Braiden sighed heavily as he closed his eyes once more. “I fear loosing her, weather through this act or through the courts finding a way around my will on the matter to have her removed as my wife and queen.”

It was an admittance that Braiden didn’t want to make, but he did none the less. He felt the heaviness of the words settle on his heart. His love for his wife had grown exponentially every year of their marriage. He had come to view her as not only his beloved wife, but his closest advisor and dearest friend. Things he did not want to loose at all. Feared he would loose in fact.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:00 pm 

Cosimo truly loved his aunt. Although he didn't understand just yet what being a queen meant to a country. He was still young enough to make up his own titles and tried to mimic others. It often amused his family member very much. Isabel would miss Cosimo greatly if he went to Oxford. She had no doubt it was a good school and would give him a grand education. But her secret goal in life was to only have one child. She loved being Cosimo's mother but she did not want to be with child ever again. Childbirth had terrified her and she was afraid she might not survive the next time. She did not want him to grow up without her. She just had not told Fernando that, yet. For now, he seemed content with just one son, but Cosimo was still young as well. None was making comments how Fernando would need an heir and spare for Tuscany.

Isabel nodded her head to Esther about Oxford. If she did send him to Oxford, she would not see him often and she did not like that idea. With Esther's own difficulties producing a child, Isabel didn't dare say how she hoped to never conceive again. Instead, she said.

"Oh, I know, beloved sister. It is definitely an option to keep in mind for his future."

Isabel squeezed Esther's shoulder when she said she believed God would bless her with a child. She knew her younger sister well enough to know she was forcing that smile. Isabel did understand why it would upset her. All good wives wanted to provide their husbands with a son. It was especially important if you were royalty. A queen was expected to provide at least one heir. Preferably a son. If she failed to do it, then people would start to suggest the king should find a new queen. Isabel truly hope that it would not come to that. She knew that Esther loved truly loved Braiden and he seemed to return the feelings.

While Isabel prayed that Cosimo would remain her only child, she also prayed her sister would know the joys of motherhood. Esther would be a great mother. Isabel smiled at Esther.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea. It would be nice to see Oxford in person."

And Tuscany was so far from home. It would be nice to see something that reminded them of home. Isabel was sure her brother-in-law could not go. His Majesty had so much to do, he couldn't just go away at the drop of the hat. But perhaps spending time with them would help Esther feel better about the whole situation. If nothing else, she would not have to hear the whispers for a few days.

------------------------------------

Fernando could see that Braiden was worried. It was a difficult situation all around. The king had to weigh the options. Tuscany was much smaller then England, but the line of succession still had to be clear. Peace was kept all around when the current ruler had at least one male heir. Isabel had provided him one and someday it would be expected that Cosimo's future wife gave him a son as well.

Fernando nodded his head.

"That is understandable. I can tell she loves you very much. I am sure it pains her that she has not given you a child yet."

And given how long the couple had been married and their age, most people would say a baby should have came by now. Although Fernando didn't like the choices Braiden was handed. He loved Esther as a sister and she would be surely be upset by this. And then Isabel would be upset because her sister was upset.

"The line of succession has to be maintained. And you are a good king, I know you do not want to ignite a war."

Which could very well happen. Sometimes the feelings of one had to be put aside for the benefit of many. No matter how much it hurt to think that.

"Could you take a law to your Parliament? Declare that Esther will always remain your queen, unless you, and only you, deem her unworthy?"

Fernando wasn't sure how all the laws worked in England, but he thought if it was possible, that could help that situation. It might not make Esther any happier about the baby situation, but at least then people in the Court couldn't attempt to get rid of her.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:45 pm 

Sort of back.

Esther loved Cosimo a lot. She didn’t get to see him often, but every time she got to see her nephew, Esther did her best to spend time with him and pamper the little boy as much as possible. She was grateful that Isabel and Fernando allowed her to spend as much time as they both wished with Cosimo, and didn’t seem to mind when she spoiled the little boy with toys and sweets. Esther hoped to one day be able to repay the favor, and allow her own children to be spoiled by her sister and by Fernando, for whom she had the affection she devoted to her brothers.

Had she known her sister had no intention of producing more children, Esther would probably never suggest that she sent Cosimo to Oxford. It was mostly due to the tradition of sending young sons abroad for schooling, and Esther knew that having family near to watch over the boy would probably make his parents feel better.

Feeling Isabel squeeze her shoulder made Esther smile, this time a bit more sincerely. It was a sad smile, though. It was clear in her every old how much the young Queen was affected by that situation she could not fix.

Trying to focus on something better than troubles, Esther nodded when her sister said she would like to see Oxford in person. She loved that area, and paid the school eventual visits with the King as well. Of course, this time she would only go to the school itself it Fernando chose to go with them, as there were too many men for an honest woman, even if this woman happened to be a Queen, to simply go there without a man by her side.

“I am sure you will love it. The school buildings are beautiful. Braiden and I like to visit often”, she commented. “We have an entire staff in there, so you may take only your chambermaid or other servants from your personal staff, if you please. Whenever I go, I often take only my main chambermaid”, Esther explained, her spirits lifted by the idea of a change of scenery.

“I shall see if the King allows us to go, sister, if you do not mind”, the Queen continued after some reflection. She was actually curious to pick up on what her husband could be talking about to her sister’s husband, and that would be a good excuse. She knew she didn’t really need to ask for Braiden’s permission for most things she wished to do, as they were, in private, equals, but it was always good to ask, as it was important to know whether or not he would need her presence for something during the days she planned to spend away from Court.

@Fain