All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:14 pm 

Medals: 6
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (1)
1st Year (1) Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Maureen O'Quinn was so excited. In a few short days they would be setting sail for New York City. She had been born and raised in Belfast, Ireland. The farthest she had ever traveled was to London with her parents and that was on a very rare occasion. She could use both hands to count the number of times that had happened and she wouldn't use up all her fingers. Soon, though, she'd be working on the most glamorous ship in the world. She had been hired to work on the White Star Line's Titanic. She was sure it would be hard work, especially since she was assigned to work for the First Class travelers. Her mother worked as a maid and warned her how snobby and the demanding the rich could be.The richer someone was, the more they thought they were god and didn't think their **** stunk. Maureen had been helping get the ship all ready for its maiden voyage. Setting up cabins and learning what her job duties would be. This was the nineteen year old's first real job. Before being hired by the White Star Line, she had worked with her mother. Her father and two older brothers worked for Harland and Wolff, they had helped build the massive ship.

It was a thing of beauty and Maureen couldn't wait to for the voyage to begin. She had always dreamed of seeing the Statue of Liberty. New York City was such a grand city and she'd actually get to go there! She wouldn't get to stay long, of course. She was a crew member, not a passenger, but she'd still get to see America. And who knew how many other great places she'd get to see in the world while she worked on the Titanic. Maureen could not wait to see the world.

----------------

Kellen Ashby and his twin brother, Liam, were following their mother's directions, which involved packing and moving boxes around their simple home. Soon their whole family would be boarding the Titanic and heading to America. The Ashby family had no intentions of ever going back to Dublin, Ireland, though. Kellen's uncle had moved to America two years ago and said it was the best decision he had ever made. He was living the American dream. He had a good job in the construction business, building skyscrapers in Chicago. It had taken some convincing, but Dad was convinced that a fresh start in the land of opportunity was what they all needed. Once they arrived in New York, they'd all take a train to Chicago and start new lives, better lives.

It was hard to find work here and feed six children. Kellen and Liam had just turned twenty and did the best that they could go to help not only feed the little ones by working, but also help their dear mother with them. Their father had saved every single coin he could spare once he learned about the Titanic. The Third Class accommodations were supposed to be much nicer then all the other ships around. For a family of eight, it had reasonable prices as well. The Titanic would cater to the rich, but the real money would made in taking emigrants across the Atlantic.

Their mother was a little angry at her husband for saying they would pack up their family and leave their home forever. Dublin was the only home she had ever known. She would miss it so. She had been born here and had wanted to raise all her children here. Hoped her grandbabies would be here too. They had lots of family and friends in Dublin. They didn't have a lot of money, but they had a lot of love. Of course, her brother-in-law had to fill her husband's mind with the riches that America held. But she was a good wife and good wives supported their husbands. Even if they didn't always agree with them.

"Boys, take that box to Miss Ciara. Anna has outgrew them clothes but Ciara's little one can use them."

Anna was the youngest of the Ashby children, only six years old in age. The last child Mrs. Ashby may have. The clothes had been well loved, passed on through her girl children. She wished she could take them with her but her husband reminded her they could only take the essential stuff. Other things they would buy in their new home. Kellen and Liam both nodded their heads.

"Yes, Mum."

They replied and before they could even get out the door, their mother already had places for three other boxes to go to their neighbors. Anna, who was holding her doll, tugged her mother's skirt.

"Why you giving so much away?"

"Because, love, we can't take it all with us and we should help out our friends instead of wasting it."

"But Daddy said the ship is really big!"

Anna stretched out her hands as she said it. Her mother smiled and picked her up.

"It is but lots of other people be moving to America too, Anna. We can't take up all the room. If we did that, we'd have no where to sleep!"

Anna giggled at her mother and said she didn't want to sleep in a box.

ImageImage

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:04 pm 

Rum innate.

Medals: 2
December 2015 (1) Gif Hunt Participant! (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)

April 6, 1912, 7:30AM

"Leandro Matthews, Sir," the hopeful young man replied with a fake name. His plan to hop aboard the great Titanic was already clear in his mind -- to apply for a laundryman job that's probably the least laborious and requiring the lowest tier of skill sets. And what better fictitious name than a play on Laundromat? He smirked inwardly at himself, wondering if anyone would even notice.

"And what skills and assets would you bring on board The Titanic?" Came the second question from the moustached officer, probably in his mid-forties, sitting across the desk inside a quaint office by the docks.

"Sir, for the past ten years, I've been working as a collier for--"

"Wait, what-t," the officer interrupted 'Leandro', leaning forward on his desk and glaring at him with menacing grey eyes beneath an even thicker brush of russet eyebrows. "You mean to tell me, you're one of them bloody coal workers?? Y'know the big pile of dung you lazy hellspawns dump on our company and the shipping business? We canna even send out ships to deliver mail and shtuff due to the coal shortage, and we just now had to haul in the coal cargo from The Titanic's sister ships just to get this voyage sailin', you bloody plebs!"

Leandro gulped slightly, letting the upset officer browbeat him. He focused on his moustache so as not to seem to break face contact. He didn't expect this outburst, but he allowed the man to let off steam. In the end, hopefully he'd be spent on his venting and permit Leandro a word in. After a couple more minutes of outrage, of how the White Star Line couldn't recover cancellations due to the strike, of how the steamer's capacity was over 3000 but she'd have to sail out with barely over 2000, and a bunch of other drivel, the officer finally calmed down.

"I... I truly apologize, sir. I am not in agreement with the whole situation at all; I know it has disrupted people's lives and businesses, not to mention mine own. I barely had any work during nearly the past two months and... that's why I am here, to start anew, as it may?" He gulped, blue eyes pleading, quivering. His being quiet rather than defiant throughout the outburst was working to his favour. Perhaps the taskmaster was feeling guilty for taking it out on him, when it was the higherups who were really to blame. And also perhaps, Leandro's appeal to his sense of fairness and compassion was hitting right on target. Giving a fairly innocent party another chance would make anyone feel warm and good.

"So yeah, basically I quit. I saw the general labour board and decided to apply. I think my colliery skills can still come in handy? I mean, I could back up the steam engines work, but like I said, I'm fed up with coal-mining work, so yeah, I noticed you still looking for Crew Accommodations work? What does The Titanic use for clothes irons? Still coal, or are they now electric?"

"Uh," the naval officer sat back against his chair. He wasn't exactly sure. But his priority was to fill up a few vacant positions because a major stocking up of certain supplies were to start today. "Okay, so show me your work papers and I'll send you along. Talk to the Purser Mr. --"

"Pardon me, but I meant to mention something about that. You see, the Mining Federation's been keeping my papers hostage. I really don't know when the strike would end, so..." Little did both know that the strike would officially end later that day of April 6, 1912. 1

"Eh, that's fine, just tell me your vital statistics, etcetera," the officer seemed friendlier now. He probably was thinking a strong-looking, punctual, seemingly knowledgeable, and not easily intimidated young man like Leandro could be useful for the less glorified work such as cleaning the glory holes (common toilets). It was some sort of hidden satisfaction in giving this younger fellow a second chance: from the dark pits of the coal mines, to the darker pits of humanity's excess.

"Thank you very kindly and much, sir," reaching out to shake the officer's hand gratefully. "I promise I won't let you or the passengers or the ship down."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:09 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

April 5th, 1912

“I really don’t want to go to New York”, Josephine Sackville West stated, not for the first time, while she watched her servant packing up her bags. The girl’s eyes were slightly red, as she had been crying and begging her father not to send her to her aunt. She knew what he was planning - basically, getting rid of her with a ‘good’ marriage.

“I know, Miss Josie, but you will have fun in there”, the maid replied, not looking up. If she were to be honest, she wasn’t looking forward to this trip either. She was pretty sure that Miss Josephine would be a right nightmare until they reached port. And probably afterwards, as well.

“No, I won’t, Esther”, the girl protested, sitting on the bed, right next to the suitcase. Resisting the temptation to start unpacking everything the woman packed in, Josephine got up and went to the window. She looked down and wondered for a moment what it would be like to be able to fly away. “I like London, I don’t want to go live across the pond”, the girl nearly whimpered.

Esther shook her head. “Stop acting like a little girl, Miss Josephine”, she replied, with a slight exasperation seeping in her usually calm voice. “If you behave properly, you might be allowed back in here. You are paying for your own behavior”. Josephine turned to the servant, crossing her arms firmly. “Never say that again”, she murmured through gritted teeth.

Esther sighed and closed her eyes for a moment.

It would be a long, long trip...

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:08 pm 

There was so much to do and so little time. Everyone was excited about the Titanic. Anyone who didn't have tickets for it, seemed jealous of the ones who did. Mary Ashby would have gladly sold her family's tickets, if her husband would let her. Not that he ever would. He truly believed that going on the Titanic would be the start of a wonderful new life for them. Mary didn't share that belief. She couldn't shake the feeling something terrible was going to happen.

When people would ask if she was excited, she halfheartedly said she was. Truthfully, Mary would have liked nothing more then to stay here, Dublin. Where she and her family were all together and safe.

"Mum, is something wrong?"

Kellen asked her, as they sorted through the kitchen. Deciding what little to take, what to give away, and what was trash. Kellen was one of her twins sons. He always seemed to attuned to people's emotions. Mary could lie to others, say she was fine and excited, but not to him. His eyes seemed to almost look into her soul. Kellen could easily tell she wasn't as happy as she claiming. She looked around, making sure both his father and his siblings were not in earshot. She told him in a whisper.

"I'm scared, my boy."

"Of what?"

Kellen asked in a whisper back. His mother was the strongest woman knew. She could kill spiders and rats without fear. She had no trouble telling anyone, man or woman where their place was. He never imagined her being afraid of anything. Mary replied quietly.

"I cannot shake the feeling something terrible will happen. That we won't all make it to America."

Kellen looked down at his mother and saw the true fear in her eyes. Before he could ask more, his youngest sister entered. Both he and Mary put on happy faces for her. Anna was excited for the trip and neither wanted to scare her.

------------------------------

Maureen's younger sister was jealous of her. At fourteen, their parents told her that she wasn't old enough yet to get a job. But how Emma wished she could. She would have loved to be aboard the Titanic. Especially on the maiden voyage. Soon Maureen would be aboard it and on the first of many new adventures.

"I wish I could go with you."

Emma sighed as she laid on her stomach on Maureen's bed. Watching her sister back up her most prized possessions. Things she wanted to take in her small suitcase with her as she went back and forth across the Titanic. Maureen smiled at Emma.

"Someday you can. In a few years, you can apply at the White Star Line. Maybe you'll get assigned to the Titanic too."

"And then we can both find rich husbands!"

Emma declared and Maureen laughed. Her sister was far more of a romantic then her. Maureen knew that it was very unlikely that one of the rich men would see her and fall madly in love. That stuff happened in stories, not real life. Although Emma was young, no harm letting her dream a little.

"Maybe. Or we can focus on seeing great cities together."

"Hmm...that sounds fun, but the rich husband sounds even more fun."

Emma said and Maureen shook her head with a smile. She was going to miss her sister while she was away.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:27 pm 

Rum innate.

Saturday, April 6, 1912 8:07AM

"Well," Leandro Matt blew at his fingernails -- so unusually clean with nary a trace of black charcoal after two months of not working his usual -- as he stepped out of the taskmaster's office and into the hazy Southampton Docks air. "That was easy."

He wasn't really that desperate on hopping aboard The Titanic. No. It was more a self-challenge, to see if he could connive his way onto it. If he were serious about taking up a new line of work, he would have tendered his real name at the least. But no. Equipped with a fake name and a fresh writ of approval from the taskmaster, Leandro headed towards where the workers were already milling. The fact that labourers were already bustling before the break of dawn testified to the urgency of the matter. There was little time left -- three or four days -- for stocking up and furnishing before she would officially set sail. And that probably contributed to his hasty hiring.

But Leandro stopped mid-dock. Awestruck. Shell-shocked. When they said she was the biggest ship in the world, they weren't kidding! The coal miner paused to marvel at her awesome beauty, not truly appreciating her immeasurableness until now, when he actually stood there up close. Captain Ahab stood defiant before Moby Dick. Leandro cowered like a krill. He would recover eventually, his blue eyes trying to fathom how big she really was. From stern to bow, imagining each window the width of his shared boarding room -- more like a closet -- and... he lost count somewhere in the middle. Yeah, she's huge, alright.

"You there!" A foreman shouted, interrupting his calculating trance. "Stop slacking! Yeah, you! With the papers!"

Oh. Right. Well, that at least confirmed his ticket to ride. Leandro nodded with a smile.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:53 pm 

Sort of back.

Things in the Sackville West household were still turbulent. Miss Josephine, after all, had been in the worst possible mood, and apparently inclined to make everyone else in the household just as miserable. Since nobody would want to hear her arguments and pleads, Josephine turned to her diary, as she often did.

April 6th, 1912 - Around 3 a.m.

Father said that we must be up early to go to Southampton. Up… as though I would be able to sleep at all. Everyone is speaking about how beautiful and luxurious Titanic is. For me, it is the worst ship ever built, and I wish for it to have an ill fate. I wish this piece of metal would go to the bottom of the ocean with me in it. It would be more bearable than living in New York.

And why am I being shipped to New York, like an unwanted piece of furniture? Simply because I was in conversations with the gardener. Father now thinks I am unable to make good choices for myself. I have half a mind of conversing with the poorest man I can find aboard the ship and convincing him to marry me, by any means necessary. That would show father…

Before she could finish her sentence, Josephine heard movement at her door and jumped up. It was just Esther, luckily, but she still closed her diary. “What is it?”, the young woman asked, obviously feeling upset at the interruption.

“It is time to get dressed, Miss. We leave at five”. Josephine stomped to her bed like an angry child and sat down, still holding her diary. “There is plenty of time”. Esther shook her head. “Not with how long you take to get ready, and having to set everything for the trip, Miss Josephine. Come on, now. Do not be stubborn. Your father will be very upset if he knows that you are refusing to cooperate”.

Josephine shot up and tossed her diary on the bed. “Father, father, father. Father cares not about what I do or do not!”. The maid shook her head. “Do not be so dramatic. Now, march to the bathroom, and have a bath. It will ease your humor a bit”.

With a muttered ‘hag’ - loud enough for Esther to hear -, Josephine finally decided to obey. At least in the bath she would have some time alone. “Do not touch my diary!”, she warned, before entering the bathroom and closing the door. “Cursed be the Titanic and all aboard it”, the girl still murmured while undressing.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:47 pm 

Mary Ashby was depressed as she looked around her house. She had lived here since she married her husband, Jonas. In less then two years they had begun their family. She had raised her children here. She had planned to die here. She would have loved nothing more then to die an old lady in her bed. Surrounded by her children and her children's children. That wasn't going to happen now. Not since Jonas' brother had convinced him that the best move for them was to all go to America.

Mary had nothing against America, it just wasn't her home. Ireland was her home, she had never thought of living anywhere else. Now, her home felt so barren. It was almost empty, they had gave a lot away to friends. Soon Mary and her family would board the Titanic. To start a new life across the ocean. She wondered if they could get there. She hadn't lied to Kellen. She had a bad feeling about this trip.

Mary tried to sleep as best she could. As April 10th got closer, the harder it was for her to sleep. She had nightmares about the voyage. Tonight, she was in freezing water up to her knees. Carrying her crying, youngest child. She was screaming on the top of her lungs for Jonas and her other children. They couldn't hear her and she had no idea where they were. People were screaming and running all around her. It was a scene of mass chaos. There was a loud crash and she dropped Anna. The floor turned on its side and Mary was falling. Anna screamed for her but she couldn't reach her child. Instead, Mary went under the ocean.

Mary woke up in panic and felt her bed to make sure there was no water. There wasn't, it was just her and her snoring Jonas. She wiped sweat and tears from her face. She reached over to shake Jonas awake, but stopped herself. The first time she had her nightmares, he told her it was just nerves. She had never been on a ship before and she was just afraid. Mary knew it was more then that but Jonas was determined for them to go. Plus, he never believed that dreams were anything more then just dreams. He wouldn't trade their Titanic tickets for king's ransom. Mary decided to not wake him. He'd tell her the same thing and she didn't feel like being patronized by him. Although sleep didn't come very easily. Mary couldn't stop thinking about her nightmare as she laid back down and listened to Jonas snore.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:18 am 

Rum innate.

Saturday, April 6, 1912 8:30am

"New here, eh? Well, let me see what you got," the foreman pointed to the papers that Leandro was clutching.

"Oh right. Here you go," Leandro complied.

The foreman nodded after taking a super quick glance, handing back Leandro's dossiers. It was if he didn't even bother reading through everything, just the top where his name was, and the bottom where the docks officer scribbled some words that apparently meant something to this foreman. Must be some code words.

"Okay, Mr. Leandro Matthews, before you get your hands dirty, talk to Mr. McElroy in his office on the Middle Deck. Just look for the 'F' once you board her, got it? You wanna get paid, right? Mr. McElroy is our Purser and will handle your papers and he'll give you further instructions. I'm Austin. Pleasure to have you on board!" Austin grinned, which made Leandro uneasy. It was if he was hiding something, or at least holding back information. Why didn't he offer to tell his full name, for one? And why did he look that happy?

"Gotcha! Should be easy enough," Leandro forced a smile as he moved on past him, continuing across the pier towards the first multi-decked structure with ramps connecting to various levels of the ship. There were labourers already busy bringing in medium to large furnitures and fixtures. Leandro tipped his cap to them and bid them 'Good day, gentlemen', before finding a break in the assembly line where he could step in and finally board the ship.

And although the context and reasons for his first setting foot onto The Titanic was every bit monotonous, menial, and mundane, he couldn't help but enter with an air of excitement, majesty, and inspiration. He could hear the deep thrumming from the ship's generators, but it wasn't until he stepped off the temporary and flimsy stability of the ramp and into her fortress that he felt his own heartbeats, after a jilting initial acclimation, starting to sync with Her Majesty.

His respiration, too. He felt like a mermaid reunited with the sea, breathing in her natural environment after being away for so long. But not without that initial unnerving experience of filling his lungs with fluid blue and ridding of the unseen impurity, of feeling like gasping for breath, before achieving an easy, calming breathing equilibrium.

And now, after navigating the pretty straightforward aisles towards the Purser's office, he stood just outside it:

Mr. Hugh Walter McElroy, Victualling Crew, Purser

He felt obliged to pause, make the sign of the cross, catch his new-found breath, and gather his thoughts.

Wait 'til Uncle hear this! No more worrying where we gonna get the rent money! Ah, but I wonder if I can get payment in advance... Oh flummery. Maybe I shouldn't have lied about my name. Oh well. Here goes nothin'...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:34 pm 

Sort of back.

While Josephine took her bath and cursed her fate, the Titanic and everything an upset girl could possibly curse, Esther started moving. She packed Josephine’s diary - fighting the temptation to read it - and the few clothes that were still left to pack. After that, she set the clothes the girl should wear on the bed and looked around. Hopefully, things would run smoothly.

Esther had to admit she really liked her young mistress, as she called her sometimes. She had met Josephine when she was just a little girl, and was now watching her blossom into a beautiful - albeit stubborn and not always prudent - young woman. It was a shame that she could not make good choices about the people she preferred to spend her time with, Esther mused. If she had been lucky enough to come from a wealthy family, the last thing she would ever think about would be to disobey her parents.

With a sigh, the woman shrugged. Maybe not. Maybe girls like Josephine, who had everything but attention, were indeed more prone to misbehaving.

Josephine’s call from the bathroom made Esther shift her focus. “In a minute, Miss”, she replied, picking up a towel and going in. Josephine stood up, feeling a bit of a chill after the warm bath, and allowed Esther to help her out. “Thank you”, she muttered, starting to dry off vigorously.

“Is your mood a little bit better?”, Esther asked. Josephine showed a bitter smile. “Never”, she replied, in her usual dramatic way. “But maybe I will meet a handsome lad during this trip and I will be happy once again”.

The maid shook her head, her eyes wide. “Don’t even think about it, Miss Josie”, she warned, seriously. “Now, let us go. And do not say these nonsensical things anywhere near your father”.

Josephine considered saying something, but changed her mind. At least they would be leaving for Southampton and staying in a nice little hotel until it was time to board the ship. That should ease her boredom for a while.

With these thoughts in mind, Josephine was surprisingly cooperative during the next few hours, until the two women were safely in the car on their way to Southampton. “What is in your mind, Miss Josie?”, the maid asked in a suspicious intonation, finding it odd that her young mistress had decided to behave. “Nothing, Esther. I just want to behave and be good”, Josephine answered with her best innocent expression.

After this brief exchange, the two women feel silent - one thinking about how she would get in trouble, and the other thinking about how she could prevent it.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:43 am 

Wednesday, April 10th, 1912

It was here, it was finally here. The day the Titanic was going to begin its maiden voyage. It was leaving from Southampton, England. So many people were there to see it off. Mary Ashby looked up at fear at the large ship as her family waited in line to board the ship.

"Mommy, it's bigger then our house!"

Anna told her mother, Mary nodded her head.

"That it is..."

So large...too large...Mary didn't want to go. She had a death grip on her suitcase. Her instincts told her to grab her children and run. Head back to Dublin. Her children, all except Kellen who picked up on his mother's fears, seemed eager to board the ship. The other children were ready for an exciting adventure. To travel across the Atlantic and start a new life in America. Kellen asked his mother quietly.

"Are you okay, Mum?"

"I..."

Jonas wrapped his free arm around Mary and told Kellen.

"Your mum's never liked to travel much. I think she's worried she'll get sea sick. Right, Mary?"

"Yeah...that must be it, my dear."

Mary replied with a forced smile. Kellen didn't believe that all. Not that his father could see how truly afraid his mother was for this voyage. Jonas thought he was making the best decision possible for their family. They were going to travel to their new lives in the most luxurious ship in the world.

------------------------------------

Maureen was so excited, she was here. Today was finally the day. So many people were here to see the Titanic off. Her parents and sister had already wished her off. She was part of the crew, she couldn't wave goodbye on the deck. Not like a lot of the passengers planned to do. Instead, she was in her spot, dressed in her crisp maid uniform. She'd be waiting on passengers in the first class cabins.

ImageImage