All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Wandering Wolf Inn
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:27 pm 

Perusing the site to jump back in...

Medals: 5
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1) Veteran Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Footfalls echoed down the cobblestone alley. Two men skidded to a halt at an intersection and frantically searched up and down each path before them, their frustration evident on their faces.

"Did you see where he went?" One asked.

"No." the other replied.

"Did you at least hit him?" The second mad hefted his crossbow onto his shoulder before replying

"Of course! I'm sure I hit the bastard."

"But where did you hit him?"

"His shoulder maybe? I think I got a wing." he replied, glancing up.

"If you did, he wouldn't be up there. He can't fly now." the first said, "Unless you're not sure."

"No, I'm not." he replied. The first sighed heavily.

"Well we came from that way," he said, pointing behind them, "You go left, I'll go right and circle around these houses to meet at the front. He can't have gone far." The other nodded and ran off down the alleyway, leaving the intersection vacant.

Sain gave them a thirty count, as long as he could last, Then exhaled as he faded back into view, the empty bottle that once contained an invisibility potion fell from his fingers. He stepped away from the wall he had been pressed against and limped over to a nearby door, knocking heavily.

"Anyone home?" he called, "Sorry to bother you, but I am in need of urgent medical aid. I can pay if you have any bandages." He winced as he tried to keep his left arm and wing steady, as the bolt from the Tover's crossbow still penetrated both his shoulder and wing. He waited for a minute before he realized no one was home. With a wave of his hand the door unlocked and he quickly ducked inside, pulling his large scythe in behind him and shut the door once more, moment before the two Tover assassins returned looking for him. They seemed to argue again, then both went down the only remaining path they hadn't checked, then Sain knew they would return to start checking doors.

He racked his brain trying to come up with an escape plan. He couldn't fight them, his powers would become noticed by more Daemon Tover in the area, his Demons would also attract the same sort of attention, and he couldn't run at the moment either. He needed a way out. A place to hide until they gave up. A place they couldn't get to.

An idea struck him. He dug around in his pockets trying to find the thing, but to no avail. Cursing slightly, and only able to look with one hand digging in pockets, he slipped his hand in a particular pocket in his robes he had forgotten about. One that had been enchanted to be bigger on the inside, and nearly went up to his elbow inside a sort of breast pocket. Inside he felt the cold metal key and pulled it out, it's golden sheen catching the sunlight through dirty glass.

"Perfect!" he exclaimed.

Sain opened the door and quickly checked both ways before stepping outside. Leaning on his scythe, he closed the door behind him and turned to put the key in the same door. He could hear the Assassins coming back down the alley so he quickly turned the key.

The door suddenly lit up and a bright light poured through the cracks around the edge of the door. It began to slightly shake in the door frame and Sain once again pocketed his key before opening the door and ducking back through, bathing the alley in a bright light for a moment before going dark once more. The two men ran to see what it was, throwing open the door, only to be met with an empty room.

------------------------------------

*Squeak*

Donta sighed and placed the pristine glass back on the rack and shook his head to bring him back to his senses. He had been drying the same glass now for five minutes and daydreaming. Today has been a very slow day. It's actually been a slow week, or year, or decade...

He couldn't remember now when the last customer was. It's been a while. He looked up to see his only employee still wiping the same table she was cleaning an hour ago.

"Wolfcub, dear. We're going to have to replace that table again. I think you've wiped the varnish off of it. It was clean the first time you wiped it down." he joked. She straightened up and gasped. Now that she had moved, Donta could see the large bare patch in the middle where she had indeed wiped the varnish clear.

"I'm so sorry, boss!" she exclaimed, "I will fix it!"

Donta sighed. It was getting a little boring. Even his playlist of music he was playing in the background was getting old. Mostly old Earth jazz that fit the atmosphere of the place.

"Just leave it." Donta said, "Why don't you..." he began, but stopped when the front door suddenly lit up and opened, with a tall winged man rushing through to slam the door behind him.

"Ah, a customer!" Wolfcub exclaimed, "Welcome to the Wandering Wolf Inn! What can I get you?" The man finally turned around after sliding a large black scythe into the weapon rack beside the door, "Ah, Sain! You've returned!"

"Welcome back, sir!" Donta called from the bar, "Had a bit of trouble, have we?" Sain nodded as he limped forward to sit on a stool at the bar.

"Yeah, I need a bit of help." Sain grunted. Wolfcub was already at his side, her delicate fingers touching his wounded shoulder.

"Don't worry. It missed your Demon Stone here." she said, then ripped open his robe a bit more to show the wound, "I can fix this."

"Wolfcub, before you touch that man, promise me you will be gentle and do not make a mess." Donta warned. She seemed to hesitate and then nodded.

"Yes, Sir!" she said. Donta placed a tall glass of mead before Sain and smiled.

"Don't worry. She'll fix it." he said. Sain felt a small pinch in his shoulder and his arm suddenly went dead, along with his left wing, which seemed to just fall and cover the poor girl's head. She crawled out from under it and retracted what seemed to be a sort of needed into her blue gauntlet, then a small saw like tool came out. Sain tried to occupy his thoughts with the drink as he heard her saw through something, hoping it wasn't a part of him. He heard squelching sounds, felt her pulling on him but in a moment, she had let him go and slapped odd bandages on both sides of his shoulder and patches on his wing.

"There all done." she said, "Now excuse me as I go clean up." Donta watched as she left to the bathroom to wash the blood off her hands and smiled.

"Not bad, eh?" he said with pride, "So, how have you been? It's been a while since you were here last."

"It has." Sain replied after a sip of his drink.

"Twenty years." Donta added.

"It's been that long?"

"Yes. I'm a little offended that you didn't come back." he said, crossing his arms, "I gave you a key so you can come and go as you please. It's not a one time use item, you know. You can come here as many times as you want."

"I know. Sorry, but I've been busy." Sain replied.

"So you're trying to lay low for a while then? I assume that's why you came here this time. Injured from something. Just need the free health care?" Donta asked.

"I came for the good food and drink." Sain said, "And the company. The treatment is a bonus. I thank you both for it."

"Of course. You are welcome." Donta said, patting Sain's good shoulder, "Stay as long as you like. This place is a sanctuary. Use it well." He left the winged man to his drink and grabbed a mop at the end of the bar to start cleaning the blood and dust off the floor that his new customer had just brought in. Perhaps things will start to look up for business...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:28 am 

SHE'S DEAD!

Blog: View Blog (1)

The Song (open in separate tab) | +

The room was quiet and dark; the occasional squeak or shuffle of vermin in the darkness echoed throughout the cold cell. The air was cold and damp and smelled of sick. The sharp wheezing coughs of a small child cut through the silence. Rhys sat straight-legged against the back wall, the child's head placed on his lap. He could feel the energy seep from the child with each cough; her breathing was getting shallower, her body was cold. He knew the only reason she was still there was that his presence had been keeping the Ash at bay, but he was too tired now.

"Rhys?" the small voice managed to weakly call out to him, it was followed by a fit of coughing "Rhys, am I going to die?"

He gently stroked her head and shushed "You're going to be okay soon," Rhys managed in a low tone, the lump in his throat hurt and his eyes stung. If it weren't so dark in this cell, his vision would be obscured "This will all be over soon," his voice shook. He couldn't save her, no matter how much he wanted to. The child was fading, her spirit was slipping away and all he could do was sit there and watch. This was the Ash. This was what the Melurians thought Magicals deserved.

"Can you-?" she placed her hand on his arm and weakly gripped at him "Can you sing that song?" she coughed and her arm fell to the floor. He quickly grabbed it and held her hand in his palm. "The one you taught us when you came? You always sang really well,"

"Of course I can," Rhys quickly replied "sure," he leaned back and took a deep breath trying to steady himself as best he could. He began to sing. His voice reverberated off the walls. The room shook and the rats fell silent as he rose his voice for the child. The words of the language felt foreign to his lips now, even if the rebellion had taken it as their own. It didn't take long before the girl had joined in, humming to the tune as he sung. He didn't dare stop, not until she said it was okay; he would sing until his voice gave out if that's what she wanted.

What she wanted didn't matter.

Her humming stopped and immediately the room felt colder than it ever had before. She was gone. He held her hand to his chest as it turned to silvery ashes. Rhys's body slumped against the wall and he looked up at the ceiling. He couldn't see anything but he knew it was there.

Suddenly the metal hinge on the door to the cell screeched before creaking open, flooding the room with a yellow-orange light.

"Is the bard's song already over?" the guard said flatly "Well, at least I won't be cutting your performance short," he made a motion with his head and three other guards came in to subdue him. Their definition of "subdue" included a few hard kicks to the body as they hoisted him to his feet and bound his arms at his waist. "move your ass, Magical" the lead guard barked, making sure to give a hard knock to the back as he did so. Rhys complied with nothing more than a blank, blood-shot expression on his face.

The narrow stone hallway was dimly lit by torches. Each step echoed through the hall as they moved. They walked for quite a while before the leading guard piped up "you're wanted in interrogation and then it's straight to the executioner's block... but I doubt you'll make it that far. The Interrogator can get carried away sometimes," he said coldly as he pushed the door open and stepped aside, the pair of soldiers tossed him into the room and slammed the door behind them.

He gave a soft grunt as his chest knocked into the....tile? He shuffled awkwardly to his feet and scanned over the surroundings. The room was illuminated by warm yellow light. Wooden tables lined the walls and a few were centered within the room. A soft, strange music was playing from somewhere and a stranger creature was standing behind a bar that occupied the left side of the room. This is the weirdest interrogation room I've ever seen.. Rhys shook his head No this can't be right, these look like Magicals. Did they transport me here?

Rhys took a few cautious steps into the room. He made his way to the bar and shifted a stool a bit so that he could sit down. He placed his bound hands against his body and looked at the individuals in the room. "H-eh, uhh, hello" he studdered out.

"How did you-? How...? Where am I?"

Last edited by Ben on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:03 am 

Donta had just finished cleaning another glass when the front door suddenly lit up once more. This time, it swung open into the void outside rather quickly and a large man was deposited on the black and white tiling on the wooden floor, then it slammed shut behind him. Much more dramatic entrance than Sain's.

The man struggled to his feet, Donta only now realizing his hands were bound. He took a seat at the bar nervously as both he and Sain stared at the man who seemed a little disheveled.

"H-eh, uhh, hello" he studdered out, "How did you-? How...? Where am I?"

"Ah, yes. First time here, eh?" Donta asked with a smile, "Welcome to the Wandering Wolf Inn."

"S-Sorry!" Came a frantic call from behind Sain as Wolfcub appeared again, still drying her hands with a towel, "That blood was hard to get off." She slung the towel over her shoulder and eyed the new man over, noting the bindings on his hands, "What can I get you? Or rather, first let me ask about those bindings. Did you come from a prison or something? Are those safe to come off for us? You aren't going to try anything funny, are you?"

"Wolfcub, just unbind our guest." Donta ordered, "Listen, Traveler," He began as he slid a tall stein of ale towards him, ice cold, "This is a friendly establishment and the rules are over there on the wall." Donta gestured to the plaque above the weapon rack where Sain's dark Scythe still stood.

"Here." Wolfcub said, extending her arm. A short blade shot out of her blue tech gauntlet and she cut the man's bindings that held his hands to his sides, "Enjoy your drink. Can I get you anything to eat? We also have bathing facilities should you want to clean yourself up."

Donta waved her off and she went to check Sain's bandages again, he acknowledging her with a smile and a nod,

"I assume you have questions." He asked, "Don't worry this is a safe place. Another dimension if you will. You must have been put through one of the few random doors that lead here. I am the owner of this establishment, Donta."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:08 am 

SHE'S DEAD!

"Ah, yes. First time here, eh?" the fuzzy creature gave him a warm and knowing smile; Rhys couldn't help returning the smile despite how he felt.
"Welcome to the Wandering Wolf Inn."
The man let his eyes glance either way as he tried to wrap his head around what exactly was going on "the -uh Wandering what what?" a bright feminine voice made Rhys jolt in his seat. She had..... caught him off guard somehow. No. He wouldn't have noticed her even if he tried. Looking straight at her, he felt no presence, nothing coherent at least.

"S-Sorry!" she piped up hurriedly, "That blood was hard to get off." Rhys shifted in his seat, growing more uncomfortable by the moment. She gave a professional offer, all the while watching him closely. He hunched his shoulders apologetically and twisted his wrists as if attempting to hide them from her line of sight. Something about those eyes.

" Did you come from a prison or something? Are those safe to come off for us? You aren't going to try anything funny, are you?"

Despite his dark skin, the bright red played across his face immediately. He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by the small fuzzy man behind the counter.

"Wolfcub, just unbind our guest." he firmly commanded before turning his attention back to Rhys. She quickly complied to Rhys's extreme discomfort. A strange blade extended from her body and he felt the tension around his wrists go slack as she made quick work of the bindings and made herself scarce at the barkeeps command. His body only relaxed once she moved away.

"This is a friendly establishment and the rules are over there on the wall." the small man said, pointing to a plaque near the door, and.... next to a scythe. That's one way to get the point across he thought to himself. Still, the thought of this little creature weilding such a large weapon almost made him chuckle. It took him a moment to realize it might belong to the man sitting close by.

"I assume you have questions." He asked, "Don't worry this is a safe place. Another dimension if you will. You must have been put through one of the few random doors that lead here. I am the owner of this establishment, Donta."

Rhys was actually glad the man had stopped him from digging himself into a hole. Bindings or not, he didn't know how safe it was for anyone to be here around him especially in the state he was in. Being around magicals helped a good deal though, if it weren't for this bartender, Rhys would be in a panic; the kind demeanor and infectious smile made it hard not to just play along. The man slid a tall glass his way; it was a pleasant golden-brown color with a bitter-sweet scent. The smell of alcohol was easily identifiable and as much as he'd like to forget a few troubles, not having full control of himself seemed like a bad idea right now. He lightly pushed the glass back towards the bartender.

"That came off as rude, didn't it? I'm sorry, Donta. You said Donta, right? I don't mean to offend you, but I don't drink alcohol. Not that it isn't good! I mean, I've never really been a fan; I've always preferred milk, but Borrie says not to ask for milk at a bar or you'll be spotted instantly. I mean, I'm sure it tastes fine. Good! -ehm" Rhys ran his grimy hands over his face; he could definitely go for that bath.

"I don't have any way to pay you," he slowly and clearly articulated the sentence before letting out a sigh "I'm not even sure what I'd have to pay in... here. Whereever here is. You said something about another dimension? Like the after-realms? I didn't think I would die so anticlimactically," he joked with a sad chuckle, he looked down at the wooden bar before glancing at the winged man that the girl had been ordered to attend to. He looked rather comfortable here, despite a rather large wound on his left shoulder and wing. He felt remorse for the man; hiding from the Melurians must be an ordeal for him.

"You all look like magicals. Was this a rescue? and if I go out that door, where would it put me?"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:46 am 

Donta nodded after listening to the man and quickly swapped out the beer for a tall glass of milk, and slid a complimentary plate of cookies beside it.

"Sorry about that, I should have asked you what you wanted. I just assumed by your stature that you were a drinker. My apologies." He said with a smile.

"I don't have any way to pay you," he slowly and clearly articulated the sentence before letting out a sigh "I'm not even sure what I'd have to pay in... here. Whereever here is. You said something about another dimension? Like the after-realms? I didn't think I would die so anticlimactically,"

"My treat." Sain said before Donta could respond. Sain knew he would offer the man the drink for free, but he was well aware of the level of business the place took in, which was very little, and he knew Donta would eventually need money to keep the place running, "The name's Sain Darkwing."

"You all look like magicals. Was this a rescue? and if I go out that door, where would it put me?"

"Magicals?" Sain asked in confusion. He glanced at Donta who just shrugged as well, "I think you're missing an important part about this place. I've only been here once before, but when I was here, there were people here from different worlds, and different realms. Some wielded technology like I've never seen before, some were more gifted in magic that I knew possible." he paused for a moment, then added, "Some people didn't even know magic existed or that there were any other dimensions out there. You could imagine their surprise."

Donta nodded and continued on for his patron, "Indeed, this building itself exists outside of known reality. It is not part of any world or realm and therefore has no real time to speak of. I mean I do have clocks and such, but that's just to measure time while here, to tell when it's bedtime or morning. The windows all point to a never ending sea of nothingness and are all sealed.

But this was no rescue. You, my friend, lucked out when that door opened it randomly deposited you on my floor and if you were to go back, as soon as your hand touched the door handle, it would connect to the same door you went through, a moment after your departure. If you stayed here a week it would still return you to the same time you left."

"It's a bit of an oddity like that." Sain said, "As you would have guessed, I was also pursued before coming here. When I return they will still be there looking for me." He paused for a moment, then added, "Unless I go to another world with someone else. The world I come from, magic use isn't common, but widely heard of. My race is even more rare, so the cult after my head have an easy time getting information about my whereabouts."

"So what's your story?" Donta asked, "It's alright if you don't want to say, but we will listen."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:17 pm 

SHE'S DEAD!

"My treat." the nearby winged man said as he flashed a winning smile his way. "The name's Sain Darkwing."

Rhys gave the man a half-smile. The way things worked in the underground were favors for favors; so having someone simply offer to pay for a drink out of the blue seemed strange. Rhys thought the man might have questionable motives, but he was too tired and hungry to worry about the man's character. He held the cold glass in both of his mucky hands and took a deep gulp before placing it back down. He teetered his stool a bit from side to side so that he could better face the man.

"Thank you, Thank you so much, Sain." Rhys said with a grateful tremble to his heavy bass "I'm Rys'a-... I'm Rhys from underground Melura" he started to outstretch his hand toward Sain but quickly thought better of it; the man probably wouldn't appreciate dirt all over him. Instead, he slid the pastry plate towards him "only fair" he said with a shrug before he began to mess with his hair.
"I don't look too menacing do I?" he questioned the pair "I think it's the hair," he said as he tried his best to make it look more presentable "I used to have it tied into a ponytail or bun but Ilksar made me cut it down: says that only women and royals waste their time with long hair," he let his hands fall to the table and he gave the two an expectant look.

Rhys split his attention as the two men began explaining the odd nature of this place. It was beginning to make sense why he had never seen a creature like either of them before.

"So what's your story?" Donta asked,

Rhys sat stark straight in his seat and could only open and close his mouth wordlessly and stammer out on occasion "I- uh"

"It's alright if you don't want to say, but we will listen," his genuineness was very comforting, those of the alienage were much rougher and ever-dubious about approaching enemies

Rhys chuckled "I ah-, I guess I owe you that much huh?" he started as he took a sip of his milk "I'm pretty sure that walking through that door means walking into my execution," he said matter-of-factly. He glanced over at the well-kept entrance. He thought carefully about what he would divulge. Saying that he was a mass murderer who laid waste to a capital city probably wasn't a good idea. He was sure the people here were simply curious and there was absolutely no way this was some interrogation technique; he still had all his limbs and Melurians thought magic use was tantamount to God murder. Still, he'd stick to the minimum.

"I live in underground Melura: I've been there and raised by the rebels in the alienage ever since I was a kid. I look after the kids most of the day, serve as a punching bag for the forces at night, and help the healers on occasion. The people are pretty crude and harsh at times but they're pretty accepting and they stand up for anyone being hassled," his voice had slowly drifted as he spoke. His mind was working through all the faces he'd probably never see again. He shook his head and continued on.

"The rebels aren't much of a force against the Melurians, they're more of a community trying to support the non-humans that call Melura home. The underground gets no support from the city, so we work to keep the community up and running; we've managed to make a little self-sustaining place for our people, and the whole place is well shrouded. The rebels are constantly pursued but no outsider has ever found the base," his chest swelled with pride even though his voice held melancholy.

"To deal with the rebels. The royal alchemist created this... thing. The Ash. A parasite that feeds on the life-force of magicals. It hollows them out, and turns them to dust." his words were filled with venom he didn't know he possessed. Only the sound of the trembling glass made him release his milk and place his hands in his lap.

"The Ash spread quickly in the city but it still didn't reach the underground. For some reason, it doesn't affect me. The doctor used this to his advantage: he'd send me to retrieve reagents and research; anything he required in order to find a cure," Rhys was silent for a long time before speaking again. His words were almost a whisper, more to himself than anyone else.

"I should've been more careful, I shouldn't have let her see me leave..." he wiped his face before gulping down some milk and speaking up again.

"A little girl... Riley, she followed me to the surface. I didn't know until I saw a guard taking her. I got myself arrested hoping I could help get her out somehow, but I couldn't let her come back. They stuck all of the magicals in a small cell, all sick with The Ash; no food, no water. She was strong to last as long as she did, but...." he supported his knuckles with his forehead.

"I was last one in that room, so they decided that they would torture me for the base location and then send me to the executioner... so lucky me I guess..." he said slowly and heavily

"Lucky. Me." he said before finishing his glass of milk. He gave a small cough to clear his throat.

"I'm sorry," he said as brightly as he could manage "That was long! You guys must have some stories to tell,"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:02 pm 

Sain inhaled deeply and straightened up, finishing his own drink. He lifted his still numb arm onto the bar and awkwardly leaned on it to turn to the grizzled man beside him.

"This 'Ash' disease sounds horrible. Even with my Necromancy, I know of no spell or substance that could do such a thing. Petrification, perhaps, but not consume magical energy and leave the host as ashes." he paused for a moment, "Donta? Have you heard of it?"

The Moogle leaned against the cabinet behind him, "No, not really. Must be a disease specific to your realm only. There are near limitless realms out there. I'm not surprised there's something out there I've never heard of."

"I wish we could help, but unless we had a sample, we could do nothing." Sain said with a sigh, "Seems like a horrible situation in your realm. We would probably be at risk as well if we went there." Donta nodded.

"A healer might be able to help, if you had one..." Donta muttered, and was met by blank stares by both men, "I mean a magical healer. Wolfcub is all technology. This definitely sounds like a magical disease."

"My home City of Windoria in the clouds had plenty of those, but since I've been banished for learning the dark arts, it's been lost in the skies." Sain said, turning to lean against the bar. He started to feel tingling in his arm and wing, letting him know the anesthetic was starting to wear off, "I mean I learned basic magical healing when I was a child, but my powers have become far too tainted to try it now. What would be convenient, is if one walked through the door right now."

The three turned to look at the door, but it remained quiet and motionless. Wolfcub's voice rang out from the kitchen.

"Were you expecting your timing to be perfect, Sain" she called with a giggle, "Chances are slim that it would happen."

"It was worth a shot." He said with a smile, "Didn't hurt to try." He lifted the newly refilled mug that Donta had poured for him and took a sip, just as the door suddenly lit up and started to shake...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The old building groaned under her small weight as she inched forward, one of her new friends lagging cautiously behind. Her flashlight focused at about a foot in front of her feet.

"Tanya, I don't think this is such a good idea. It's spooky in here." she said, her voice shaky. Tanya, in front, turned her flashlight on her friends face, showing a frightened expression and worry.'

"Grace, I only asked you where the building was, I didn't mean for you to follow me. You can turn back you know." She advised her roommate. She had been at college for only a week and her only friend turned out to be her assigned roommate in the on campus dorm. Now they were traipsing through a condemned wing of an old school building, not really sure of what they were looking for. No one came in here because it was said it was where the missing students disappeared.

Tanya focused her flashlight back on the dirty hallway before her, "You go back, I'm not leaving until I find something." She lifted her backpack higher on her shoulder and continued on. She could see Grace's flashlight dance back and forth from her to the door where they entered.

"A-Alright, but don't be long. I don't want to worry. Be careful and call me if you need help, okay?" she called.

"Sure. See you soon." she waved and continued on.

Tanya tried random doors as she walked, all seemed to be locked. She cursed silently as more and more doors became inaccessible to her. The last door at the end of the hall had a broken doorknob. It took a few tries, but after a shoulder ram the door popped open and she had to cling to the door frame to prevent herself from falling into a massive hole in the floor. Thanking her luck that her flashlight was attached to her wrist by a strap, she scanned the room after getting her footing and saw a closet on the far end of the room, which seemed to be a science lab of sorts. Carefully making her way around the hole, she reached the door and turned the knob, only to find it locked.

Frustrated, she tried to look through the frosted glass of the door to see inside, but couldn't see anything. She had a feeling about this closet, or whatever it was. Something interesting was inside. She just knew it.

Kneeling at the door, she cursed the fact that she was still wearing shorts to kneel on the dusty, splintered floor and pulled out a small lock picking kit. She was no expert at it, but she bought a kit and watched a few videos online on how to do it. She even successfully picked a few padlocks as well. It only took a few minutes to get this lock to turn and she popped the door open slightly. She quickly stowed her tools and lifted her flashlight once more. Taking a breath she slowly counted to three and yanked open the door.

An old prop skeleton quickly rolled towards her on the uneven floor and startled her enough to jump back. Her grip on the old doorknob failed and she fell backwards, into open air over the hole in the floor...

Tanya closed her eyes and waited for the pain of the landing on the floor below, but a collapsed wall below had tipped the door frame over as well and she landed hard, squarely on the door itself. There was a bright light on impact and the door quickly gave way beneath her as she hit and swung downwards. Still squeezing her eyes shut she oddly felt a shift in gravity as she stopped falling, but yet felt herself skidding across a floor.

She laid motionless for a moment, still holding her head in a defensive position and slowly opened her eyes to see a brightly lit room. She sat up and looked around, her eyes still adjusting to the light but it seemed to be a cafe of sorts, with wooden tables and a clean tiled floor. Confused she shakily stood up and shouldered her bag that thankfully followed her down blinking as she tried to adjust to the light. Once they did, she found herself staring at a large black scythe in a rack, next to a large plaque of what seemed to be rules.

"Where am I?" Tanya muttered. There was a loud creak as the door she had just been flung through slowly swung closed and she turned around.

That's when her jaw dropped...

Sitting at the bar was a large tattooed man, next to a robed man with black wings who looked like death himself. Behind the bar was an odd cat looking man and a young girl with high tech gauntlets on her arms, all staring at her like she was the oddity here.

"W-What?...." Tanya stammered, "Who...?" She then began to visibly shake, "H-How...?"

"Wolfcub dear, we have a fainter. Please try and catch her." Donta said casually.

"She seems fine to m-" she began, but was cut off by the thud of the girl collapsing. Donta smiled as Wolfcub picked up Tanya to carry her to a nearby couch.

"Well, it's getting rather lively in here tonight!" Donta said with a smile, "How lovely!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:37 pm 

Gael eyed the large gap, maybe six feet, in between her and the opposite side of the castle wall. Growling underneath her breath about her current predicament, she chanced one last glance over her shoulder before she decided to jump. At least four necromancers were conjuring some sort of soul stealing mumbo-jumbo spell behind a small group of charging, ghostly warriors that were wielding all-too-real weapons. Pushing her legs to go as fast as they could carry her, she reached the edge of her side of the wall far too soon and greatly misjudged the distance of her leap as she pushed off with her foot just as she felt herself beginning to fall forward. With a loud slap, her forearms connected with the ledge of the opposite side of the castle wall. Her black, worn-out, cowgirl boots scrambled for purchase on crumbling castle wall as her fingers gripped the shallow crack they had found on the top edge of the wall.

Gritting her teeth as she strained her arm muscles to pull her full bodyweight up and over the ledge, Gael collapsed onto her back as soon as she had pulled herself up. Panting heavily, a breathless laugh escaped her before she pushed herself up off the ground and stood on shaky legs. As quickly as she had relaxed, she was back on full alert and looked back to see the line of ghostly opponents standing on the very ledge she had just escaped, growling and attempting to throw their weapons over the gap at her.

Giving the necromancers a two-finger salute, Gael straightened her tan, straw, cowgirl hat on her head and took off at a jog towards the stairwell that would lead her out of the castle walls and towards her employer. Her job had been fairly simple; kill the leader of the necromancy cult and jack their most prized possession. A small, blue crystal about the size of the palm of her hand. To Gael it held no significance, but her employer had been very adamant about her taking the right crystal. He had explained it's appearance so many times Gael had tell him to tell him to shut up in a not so polite manner and with a very extensive, colorful vocabulary.

Gael reached and pushed open the door that would lead her downstairs towards the exit but instead found herself in a freefall for about half a second before her butt collided very painfully with the floor of place she had never seen before. Adjusting to the bright lighting in the room, she sat up on her hands and knees, glaring at the tile floor beneath her as if it was the culprit of her embarrassing mistake of falling straight on her butt. Slowly standing up, she looked around in confusion as the door behind her clicked shut. "Well this is not where I expected to end up," Gael said out loud, studying the room around her. There were some tables here and there, a bar area, a couch or two, and a hallway that lead off to somewhere out of her sight. The bar area was occupied by two men, one a supernatural being and the other a rather large man with many tattoos. A girl was draped over one of the couches, seemingly unconscious from what Gael could gather.

Noticing a black scythe hanging on a rack nearby, she assumed that was probably where weapons were kept and willingly began to unload her own. A crossbow, a quiver of arrows, a long, red, metal pole sealed on both ends, a belt lined with throwing knives, and two 1911 colt handguns fully loaded with bullets. She left the gun holsters strapped to her thighs just below the stopping point of her faded, blue jean shorts. Straightening her black tank top and dark blue, unbuttoned over-shirt, she made her way silently over to the bar area. Taking a seat on one the bar stools, she made sure there was an empty one in-between her and the supernatural dude.

Gael was no stranger to dimension traveling, but never had she just walked right into one. Usually, it was her who purposely found a portal to go through. The was a male cat looking stranger behind the bar whom she could only guess would be the bartender or the owner. "Excuse me, but where am I?" she asked as politely as possible, her voice was soft but steady.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:52 pm 

"Excuse me, but where am I?"

The three at the bar watched the woman's grand entrance and Sain's eyes seemed to widen a bit when she unloaded a myriad of weapons on the rack before taking a place beside him, noticing the one stool buffer room between them. Sain sighed and sipped his drink, annoyed that his image made other people wary of him. If he wasn't wearing what he had on for other reasons, he would try and dress a bit nicer. Maybe it was something other than his clothes that put people off, but if so, he had no idea what it could be. He was sure he showered recently and by the type of person Donta was, he was sure he would advise if he was giving off some sort of offensive odor.

"This would be the Wandering Wolf Inn, Madame." Donta said with a smile, "A sort of refuge from the storm that is life and reality."

"Really?" Sain said with a huff and a smile, "A refuge?"

"Did you not come here to escape some peril, my Avian friend?" He asked, turning back to the newcomer, "This is a place that exists outside of the known Universe. A sort of pocket dimension if you will. My door randomly connects to other places, times, and dimensions through no will of my own. I simply hope that whomever walks through the door will be an agreeable patron of this establishment, or become evicted from it by force if necessary." He paused for a moment, "I am the owner, Donta. My associate in the back is Wolfcub. I believe she is cleaning something at the moment. Can I get you a drink? Or maybe something to eat?"

"Donta?" Sain began, setting his drink on the table, "I've been wondering something."

"Yes?" he replied.

"Wolfcub is the waitress here, correct? Does she cook the food as well?"

"Wolfcub is indeed the waitress, however, she does not cook the food." he said, "The Cook does that."

"The Cook?" Sain repeated.

"Yes."

"And why haven't I ever seen this 'Cook'?"

"He prefers to stick in his kitchen." Donta replies, then his furry finger went to his chin, "You know, come to think of it, Even I haven't seen the Cook."

"Has Wolfcub? She must have to serve food from him." Sain asked.

"From who?" She asked, seemingly popping out of nowhere behind Sain, making him jump slightly. Sain kept forgetting that she was a machine and was not easy to sense.

"The Cook, Wolfcub." Donta asked, "Have you seen him?"

"Oh him? Nope." she replied. Donta's brow raised.

"Don't you pick up food from him to serve?" Donta asked.

"Yeah I go to the kitchen and there's a long window with a counter that's normally closed most of the way. I see steam billowing out from back there and hear food cooking, but never see him. The food is usually on the counter, ready to go when I show up. Most of the time it's done before I even give the order. It's creepy at times, but I've just learned to take it as normal now." She explained.

"Odd." Donta muttered.

"I've heard him speak a few times." Wolfcub said, "But with so much stuff going on, I think it's hard to hear in there when I try and talk to him." Wolfcub walked over to the large swinging door and leaned on it to open it. Steam did indeed billow out into the tavern, "Hey Cook! How you doing in there?!" she called. There were sounds of clanging pots and pans, clinking of silverware to plates, the sound of flaring fires and sizzling meat.

"Whaaaaat?" Came a barely unrecognizable drone of a response. Wolfcub let the door close and sighed heavily.

"I don't know what he's cooking in there. No one has ordered anything yet." She said, returning to the bar to grab a cold cloth and a bowl of water to attend to the unconscious patron.

"I think the Cook has some ties with the Temporal plane." Donta said, "I heard a long time ago that his kitchen connects to different time periods and to different serving counters across Universes, much like my front door. I think he can also see into the future, which is why he can have a meal prepared in advance for Wolfcub to serve before it has even been ordered."

"Time Magic." Sain muttered. Donta nodded.

"Seems that way." he said, "Any way, Drinks or a hot meal, M'lady?" he asked, turning to the newcomer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:35 pm 

SHE'S DEAD!

The group offered their condolences and suggestions with the appropriate amount of "poor child" in their tones. Rhys looked between the pair as they spoke but their words were hardly registering. His face was burning and his heart rate started to quicken. No matter what healer they found, they wouldn't be able to fix the mistakes he'd made. Even if they had bottled the cure and thrust it into his hands, he'd just exit that door to death: his and countless others. His pulse had jumped into his palms and flecks of dirt floated from his body in fragments and whisps like soot from an ember. He took a deep, deliberate breath and calmed himself. "Not here" he thought to himself "Not ever". He realized he was pulling a grim face. He relaxed a bit and fixed a more amiable expression to his face.

He tuned back in at the winged man, Sain's statement "I mean I learned basic magical healing when I was a child, but my powers have become far too tainted to try it now. What would be convenient, is if one walked through the door right now."

All three of them looked toward the door, a tense silence as they waited expectantly but nothing came.

"Were you expecting your timing to be perfect, Sain" the machine called with a giggle, "Chances are slim that it would happen."

"It was worth a shot." Sain remarked , "Didn't hurt to try"

Rhys appreciated the humor, in fact, it made him much more comfortable "Well, unless someone comes in with 'De-Ash' in a can I think it'd be better for me to stay here for a while," he turned to Donta with an embarrassed look on his face "That is, for as long as I'm welcome," he quickly added "maybe I'll be more help around here?"

There wasn't time for a response before the door lit up and began trembling as if a wild animal were clawing at it. The door swung open and a small girl slid into the room, half cradled as if bracing for impact. Rhys imagined his entrance was every bit as graceful. He watched curiously as she looked from person to person with a dazed look in her eyes.

"W-What?...." she stammered"Who...?" She shook like a child in snow "H-How...?"

"Wolfcub dear, we have a fainter. Please try and catch her." Donta said casually.

Wolfcub had returned from the back "She seems fine to m-" the girl collapsed to the ground with a soft thud before Wolfcub could finish. Donta smiled as Wolfcub picked up Tanya and carried her to a nearby couch.

"Well, it's getting rather lively in here tonight!" Donta said with a smile, "How lovely!"

"Is this just normal going-ons around here?" Rhys chuckled as he spoke, the entire scene felt like a spectacle. The dust hadn't settled from the first commotion when the door began its noisy clattering once again. It swung open once more and another woman fell through, this one looked a bit more hardened but, aside from her response to everything that had happened, she looked as if she could be from the same realm as the prior arrival. After unloading what appeared to be an arsenal from her person. The woman walked toward the bar and took a seat; a one seat gap placed between them in a way that seemed pretty intentional. Sain gave a barely audible sigh before sipping at his drink. Rhys gave him a knowing nudge with his shoulder, hoping that he wouldn't overdo it or that the man was stable enough to not topple over. He gave a small wave of acknowledgment to the woman, possibly with more zeal than necessary.

"Excuse me, but where am I?" the woman spoke in a clear confident voice. It was surprising how well she was handling this situation.

Donta began his explanation of this strange place once more. It still didn't make sense how this place existed but he couldn't be happier that it did. The suffering, the death, the fear. "Would all of that end if I stayed here?" Maybe it wouldn't, maybe he was just prolonging the inevitable but he needed time. Hopefully, he could make a plan or find some help. It was wishful thinking, but, as Sain said 'it's worth a shot'. Talk drifted to the mysterious nature of the Chef. Rhys leaned forward into the bar.

"You've never seen him? So he was just here one day? You didn't hire him?" he chuckled in disbelief "What do you think would happen if someone walked in there? Think they'd crawl out a child or something?" there was a hint of genuine concern in the question. Before his question could be answered he looked down at the bar to see a thick deposit of blackened soot outlining where his arms had rested on the bar. His eye widened in horror before he began pouring out apologies in spades as he desperately tried to clean the table with the bottom of his muck-stained shirt. He'd just realized how awful he must smell and his face burned in embarrassment.

"That girl's not sitting away from Sain," he thought as he worked futilely to scrub up the mess he'd made.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:50 pm 

A slight twitch of embarrassment worked up beneath her left eye as she heard the winged man's sigh. Gael hadn't meant to offend him, but sitting too close to any supernatural being tended to rub her wrong. After all, she had spent a long while mastering the arts of supernatural hunting and it felt strange when she was trying to be peaceful with one. Not that she was looking for a fight, he seemed nice enough.

"A refuge? I could use that for a bit I suppose. Nice place though. I would really love a scotch on ice. Is there any specific currency you take? Only thing I have is American money. If you take that currency then I would kill for a bacon, double patty cheeseburger. Haven't had the privilege of one of those in a long time," she requested.

Gael's figure was surprisingly very slim and fit for someone who loved to eat. But then again, she did do a lot of traveling throughout dimensions and there wasn't always fattening foods available. Her job kept her pretty active too so maybe not too surprising. Glancing over to the winged man and the really big one, she outstretched her hand towards the one with the wings. "My name is Gael, I don't mean to offend. I was forced to train as a supernatural hunter a little while back and it's a little... uh uncomfortable being in too close a proximity. You know, just a little weird but you seem nice enough. As do you," she spoke to the both of them, also reaching to shake the really big man's hand as well. "Also, just in case any of you need it, I am an assassin. But I wont just work for anyone. I prefer to be paid but if the cause outweighs being paid I will work for free," Gael added before leaning back onto her barstool.

Gael listened to their talk about the Cook and wondered briefly how the kitchen worked. It was very confusing if he worked in some space in between dimensions. She had never heard of anything her entire life but she didn't doubt the possibility of it. It seemed lots of things that would seem impossible existed.

Gael was a pretty open character when it came to non-personal things. Looking at the Inn's owner, she smiled briefly. "Thanks, for I guess the Inn's really good timing," she said, chuckling a little bit to herself. Dusting off her hand after shaking it with the big man's, she watched with some amusement as he worked to quickly wipe up the soot mess he had made on the inn's bar. She was sure just by Donta's hospitality so far that the mess probably wouldn't bother him too much. "So if you two don't mind me asking, why are y'all here? And what happened to her?" she questioned the two men out of curiosity, nodding her head toward the girl on the couch.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:16 pm 

Donta smiled at Rhys and shrugged to say his mess was no big deal. He did notice the obvious buffer space the newcomer had put between Sain and herself, but didn't say anything. He noticed that Wolfcub was exiting the Kitchen with a plate of food before the woman spoke again.

"A refuge? I could use that for a bit I suppose. Nice place though. I would really love a scotch on ice. Is there any specific currency you take? Only thing I have is American money. If you take that currency then I would kill for a bacon, double patty cheeseburger. Haven't had the privilege of one of those in a long time," she requested.

With that, Wolfcub reached around the woman and placed her exact order in front of her, mere seconds after it left her lips. Donta was also prompt with sliding her preferred drink across the bar.

"We take any and all currency, Madame." He said with a smile, "I'm sure you'll find our prices quite reasonable." There was a menu on the end of the bar he gestured to which was standing upright, slightly open. Inside the laminated cardstock was a nearly blank page with a small note in the middle:

"Order anything you want. Pay what you think it's worth.

Sensing confusion, he explained, "With this place connecting to so many worlds and realms, the exchange rates would be a nightmare to keep track of. Most people know how much a burger should cost from their world and time frame. I leave it up to, and trust their judgement."

The woman introduced herself beforehand and Sain seemed kind of forgiving for her earlier apprehension, but he had accepted her hand and gave a short nod to accept her apology.

"Thanks, for I guess the Inn's really good timing," she said, chuckling a little bit to herself. Dusting off her hand after shaking it with the big man's, she watched with some amusement as he worked to quickly wipe up the soot mess he had made on the inn's bar. She was sure just by Donta's hospitality so far that the mess probably wouldn't bother him too much. "So if you two don't mind me asking, why are y'all here? And what happened to her?" she questioned the two men out of curiosity, nodding her head toward the girl on the couch.

Donta smiled, "As for most people, coming here is mostly unintentional and by pure chance. I find that this place seems to offer it's services to those who need it most." he began, "Sain, on the other hand has been here a few times before and came here on purpose using his key."

Sain smiled, "He lets me come back because I behave myself while I'm here." He joked.

"I gave you a key because you deserved it. And because you seem to overpay for your drinks." Donta replied with a smile.

Sain's attention was quickly directed over his shoulder and he pivoted on his bar stool, using the empty stool buffer room beside him for his wings to pass without hitting either of them. The girl on the couch was beginning to stir.

"The girl over there seems to be from a realm without magical beings. From her clothing, perhaps from a realm close to your own, Miss Gael. She could even be from the same, yet unfamiliar with the truth of your reality." Sain said as he stood up. He took a step and stretched his wounded arm and wing for moment and quietly approached the lounge area a few steps away where the girl lay.

"Ugh..." She moaned as she tried to lift her head, "Wha?"

"Sain, here." Donta said, pouring a cold glass of water. The glass lifted off the bar, began to float through the air and gracefully into Sain's open hand.

"Drink." He said, helping her to sit up, "Relax. You are safe."

Tanya sat up and tried to blink several times, her vision slighly blurred. She could make out a fuzzy face before her among a blurred mound of blackness and shakily reached out to take the glass of water. She concentrated on taking a few deep breaths as her senses slowly came back to her, and she looked up once more into the caring face of the man who helped her. She blushed quickly at the sight of him and thought him attractive, but it took a moment for her eyes to leave his face to focus on his dark robes, and the jet black wings on his back. Her senses seemed to waver as panic set in, but the man caught her shoulder firmly and she oddly felt a soothing warmth flow through her body.

"Easy now. It's alright. You are safe." He said, "Can you tell me your name?"

"Y-you h-have w-wings...." She stammered as she began to shake again.

"Yes. But try and focus here. That's not important. Your name."

"T-Tanya. M-Morrison." she stuttered.

"Well then Tanya. Let's try calming down so we can talk. You are having a panic attack. Please listen to me. Look around the room. Tell me five things you see."

"B-Bar, a c-cat thing...person, a b-big man, a-woman, and an um A-angel..." she blubbered.

"Now name me four things you can touch."

"L-leather couch, G-Glass of water, B-black robes, and um, a cushion." she said.

"And Three things you can hear?" Sain continued.

"A C-Clock, dripping water, and a clink of a glass." she said. Donta huffed and turned the faucet of his sink tighter to stop the drip.

"Now name me 2 things you can smell." Sain asked. Tanya took a deep breath, instantly feeling calmer.

"Beer and burgers." She said.

"And finally, one thing you can taste." He said. She glanced down at her water glass.

"Lemon." she said, swirling her ice.

"Now. Do you feel better? Have you calmed down?"

"Much better. Yes. Thank you." she said. Sain sat down across from her, leaning forward to fit on the leather chair.

"Now, you have questions." he said, "The one foremost in your mind must be this place. I'll save Donta from his constant repetition of the explanation and say that this is a Tavern, bar or inn, depending on what you want to call it. It exists between realities and worlds. The door you came through randomly connects to these worlds and allows passage here."

"Who are you?" she asked.

"My name is Sain Darkwing, an Avian from a different realm than yours. This is Gael and Rhys. Behind the bar is the owner of this place, Donta. His companion and waitress of this establishment is named Wolfcub. Besides Donta and Wolfcub who live here, we all come from different worlds, or perhaps even realities."

"Am I dreaming?" She asked. Sain smiled and chuckled for a moment.

"That is a good question. I have seen a few before believing such a think and acted accordingly. Some doing things they would not do in reality, then regretting it when they realize the truth. All I can say is that for myself, I know this is not the work of my own mind and thoughts and therefore must be real. As for yourself, you have only my word to go on."

"So I'm not dreaming?" She asked, "This is real?"

"Yes." Sain said.

"But you have wings. Like an Angel! How is that real?"

"I know not of what these 'Angels' are, but where I come from, or at least in my home city, it is common for everyone to have wings. It's the most prominent feature of my people." he advised, then leaned back slightly, "I believe the problem here is that you come from a world where things like other races, magic and the like do not exist. You must have an open mind to try and accept things that may not be ordinary in your world because of the existence of others."

"Keep an open mind, huh?" she muttered, "Wait, did you say magic?"

"Yes." Sain replied. Tanya's smile could not be contained. Everything she had ever wanted was all coming true at once. She had found a flying man who knew magic in an alternate reality, or a place between realities or something, supernatural races and dimensional travel. And she found all of this by luck. An extreme chance that the random door she fell on connected to such a place. The chances are so infinitesimal it was just as well to be impossible.

Yet it happened. She is now here looking this winged man in the eye. The epitome of her private desires and secret obsession was literally staring her in the eye right now. The excitement she felt could not be contained and she visibly started shaking once more. An obvious look of worry quickly crossed Sain's face as he saw her shaking.

"This is all real? You're really here? A magical being who's not human? Really?!!!" she excitedly said. Sain smiled and simply nodded.

"Yes, however, you must calm yourself lest you render yourself unconscious once more." he said, "Can I get you anything to eat or drink?"

"Um, no. Wait, do you have Coff...." she asked, but before she finished, Wolfcub had placed a mug and carafe on the coffee table between them and smiled. She turned to Sain and patted him on the uninjured shoulder.

"Don't worry. It's decaffeinated." she said.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:18 pm 

SHE'S DEAD!

Rhys sat up on the stool flashing an apologetic look as he failed to make any headway on his spot cleaning. The small fuzzy man's candid untroubled response really spoke volumes. The girl spoke up and offered her hand which he quickly shook and quickly gave his name, awkwardly forgetting his grimy state once more. She was kind enough not to react with too much disgust. She smiled as she wiped the residue from her hand and Rhys tried again to show his apology through his expression. Before she could speak again, the Wolfcub brought out a large platter with an odd brown and yellow mass on circular seed crusted bread it had a strong, oddly pleasant odor that made his stomach ache. After taking a few bites from her meal she began to speak.

"So if you two don't mind me asking, why are y'all here? And what happened to her?" She said motioning with a nod of her head in the general direction of the girl who lay unconscious on the couch. Rhys took a moment to look back at the girl and a chuckle rumbled in his throat.

"If it were my guess, something tells me she isn't too well acquainted with magicals wherever she's from. That, and her landing was just a bit less graceful than yours." he pulled a face and made a 'so-so' gesture with his hand before eyeing the strange platter of food in front of the girl.

Before he could further respond to her question about where he'd come from, a groan followed by a bit of shuffling took his attention. Rhys prepared to stand and assist but Sain had already jumped to action; seeing as she'd passed out at their mere sight, both of them looming right over here would probably give her heart troubles. Rhys sat back against the bar and watched quietly for a short time, listening to Sain slowly acclimate the girl to her new surroundings. Rhys couldn't hide the genuine surprise on his face, Sain seemed like a nice enough guy but bedside manner like that was a gift. Even stranger was the girl, Tanya's, shift in mood. She went from a panicking mess to an excited one in a matter of seconds. Rhys took that as a sign that she would be okay.

"She's awoken!" his deep voice rung out towards the two in a theatrical manner. He gave a wave towards her, a rather meek action by contrast.

He turned his attention back to Gael, shuffling a bit on his stool to reorient his body. "As for my story, I think it's about the same as yours:lucky timing I guess." he'd started to feel better since he'd left his home, as if he'd shaken some huge burden. A twinge of guilt started to build at the thought. Still, he wasn't interested in recounting his life any longer. His eyes wandered back to the strange plated mass that sat in front of Gael.

"I'm sorry for staring, but.... what is that exactly? You said a 'baking cheese burglar'?" as foreign as it looked, it definitely had his attention.