All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: We pull together
View Likes PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:32 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Alexia hated when she felt like this. She had never been a loner, and had always found solace in her family’s company. And now, every now and then, she was feeling this need to withdraw, getting upset for no reason at all. Maybe it was the pregnancy hormones, of course, but it seemed to be worse this time around. It was hard to feel like this, upset for no reason, and Alexia’s usual reaction was to step away, before having the chance of snapping at someone.

This time, her target had come very close to being Thomas, as he interrupted her for a moment on her way up. Catching herself in time, Alexia forced a smile and took the glass of water she herself had asked her son to refill. With a muttered, almost inaudible ‘thank you’, she finally left for her solitude.

“****. ****. ****”, the woman muttered under her breath. It was one of her things - Alexia hated using swear words in front of her son. Thomas was just so sweet and innocent that she felt like it was seriously wrong to even think about using bad words around him. That, and she definitely wouldn’t want to see her son ever using that kind of language around. While she sipped her water, Alexia thought to herself about the way she was raising her son. She was a firm believer in raising children by example, and hoped she was doing the right thing.

Shaking her head, Alexia took a few deep breaths. It was all right. Everything was fine, nothing was really wrong, then why did she feel like this all of a sudden? It was an annoying sense of foreboding that she couldn’t explain. “Uh, maybe I should have my head checked”, she murmured to no one in special. Well, of course it was for no one, she was alone there. At least as ‘alone’ as one can be on a farm with livestock all around. Leaning down to scratch behind a dog’s ear, Alexia relaxed a little. She would love to have been able to talk to dad, but that would have to wait. “All right, boy, go do whatever you do”, the young woman murmured to the dog. She wouldn’t minded having the dog follow her back inside, as she never did, but she wasn’t too sure about mom.

Alexia had for dogs pretty much the same love that mom had for horses, and she was always bringing them in - or more properly sneaking them in - as a child. She had never actually asked why mom didn’t want her to. It might, of course, be because she was too young to take care of the dog properly. Shrugging all these thoughts off - and feeling a little more in control of her own mood -, Alexia stepped back in.

“Sorry”, Alexia murmured to nobody in particular and everyone in general, blushing a little as she always did when ashamed. And she was seriously ashamed of her own perceived weakness, losing control of her feelings like that. “Did I miss anything?”, the young woman continued, speaking just a little more rapidly than usual, as she did in the occasions when she felt a bit awkward. “I think we could make a fruit salad for the picnic to go along with the sandwiches, what do you say, mom?”, Alexia inquired, while moving to stand closer to Conor, one of her hands slipping into his as she often did when asking for or offering moral support.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:42 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Things were moving at a faster pace now that breakfast was being cleared away, and people were becoming energized and alert. As Rose finished placing the dishes in the washer, Alexia returned from her trip outside, accompanied by one of the farm dogs. Rose's mouth pursed and slightly twisted, a microsecond of displeasure. It wasn't that she didn't like dogs, or that she had a traumatic experience with one as a child, she just... didn't quite trust them. Horses she understood completely, every movement and signal. They responded quickly to her commands, and were extremely useful. Dogs, she felt, weren't as reliable. Sheepdogs did their job well, but Rose had never met a dog that didn't cause a mess in the house at one point in their life. Dirty paw-prints, breaking her mother's vase, things that Rose had to deal with and clean up. Those variety of instances added up to classifying dogs as outdoor creatures. But they made Alexia happy, and it seemed that she needed a canine companion, especially at that particular moment.

"Nothing much, sweetheart," Rose replied in reference to Alexia's question, "just horse talk." She shoved down here feelings of jealousy, instead glancing over at Conor, smiling at his offer of a piggy-back to his son. It was something David had always done with Alexia, until she had become too big for his back to carry.

Brought back to Alexia by her suggestion, Rose nodded. "Sounds good. A light lunch to make up for that big breakfast." Rose felt here daughter's awkwardness, as family often reads emotions so well, and gave her a quick are you okay? look, followed up with an are you sure? just to be safe. She feared the day that Thomas would eventually pick up this skill of non-verbal communication, and be more in the loop with the serious matters that faced the household. Then again, she was the granny, not the mother. Her job was to buy gifts and sneak him into places his mom would never allowed. "Would you like to start now, or should we digest a bit first? I think there's already some sliced melons in the fridge, if we just want to add some berries and yogurt to it. For the sandwiches we can just grab a loaf like usual, and everyone can bring what they'd like." Rose's sandwich ideal was the simple peanut butter and jelly, with a few bananas to keep it interesting.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:24 am 

Medals: 2
Original Character (1) December 2015 (1)

Thomas beamed at his father’s offer. In his eyes, his dad could do anything. It was probably why the family was so held together and supported like glue - at its foundation, Thomas rationalised, it was held together by Papa’s super strong arms! Though he was strong, he was also study and careful when handling and playing with Thomas, which the boy appreciated. A special favourite of his were the tosses into the vibrant red leaf piles during Autumn, thus establishing it as his favourite season. ‘I bet my father was great at school sports marathons,’ he thought, wishing he was a little bit taller to outrun his classmates. After all, in an elementary school system, the fastest runners were the most popular in school, weren’t they? If only Thomas could bring Perry to the athletics carnival; a thought which caused the child to snicker.

Helping to clean up the remnants of breakfast, Thomas couldn’t help but notice his mother’s rather tense smile, perhaps making him feel a tiny bit worried. Maybe it didn’t mean anything, so he brushed it aside for now - she could just be a little tired and that wasn’t something to worry about. After all, she did have to nurse a baby in her belly right now. She’s sweating for two people!

Talks of sandwiches sounded great. Thomas felt like something sweeter for lunch, so popped a small jar of deliciously smooth, homemade chocolate spread into the picnic bag with the rest of the fillings. It was something that once you tried, put other brands like Nutella to shame (although Nutella was pretty dang great too), and would even become a requested gift from his friends when he was invited to their birthday parties and such. The Lao and Lowell family were therefore known amongst their school community for being the family that brought great baked goods and farm produce to events such as the school garden fairs.

He pulled out a box of strawberries, along with the melons and yoghurt, which he reckoned would complement the salad nicely, leaving it on the bench for the family to arrange. With the tasks he had in mind completed, he walked over to his parents, patting their entwined hands as though he were solidifying a sand castle. “So what sort’ve sandwiches would you two fancy today?” Eager to get the family going, it showed across his daring smirk.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:23 pm 

Wandering through uncharted space...

Location: Canada... Somewhere in the North of Kere's Domain...
Medals: 6
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)
1st Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Conor couldn't help the worry that flared at thinking about his wife being outside. He didn't want it to show on his face that he was worried for her as he knew it would worry Thomas. Inside however, he was concerned for his wife. He wanted to know what was going on, but knew she needed time. She'd tell him when she was ready. Conor was known for being the steady unhurried and calm type. Slow to anything really. He leaned back in his seat watching the interplay around him in quiet contemplation.

Conor rose when he saw his wife coming into the kitchen again. Feeling her hand slide into his he pulled her closer and slipped his other arm around her. Giving her hand a gentle squeeze. "No need to be sorry my love," he whispered into her ear. "You know I'll always be here for you no matter what, even if it's just to tell you I love you." He spoke softly so only she could hear him as he gave her a one armed hug and gently kissed her cheek. If there was one thing Conor didn't care about doing was displaying his love for his family. It was a sign of strength to his mind to show this tenderness to his wife. There was nothing he wouldn't do for those under this roof. They were his whole world and at it's centre was Thomas, Alexia and their new baby.

"I'll have my usual roast beaf and mustard for my sandwich with fresh garden greens," Conor said softly in answer to his son's question of what everyone wanted for their sandwiches. He was pretty easily known since that was his typical idea of a sandwich. Whatever green leaf like plant had been collected from the garden or greenhouse along with some roast beaf on a mustard laden bread. He couldn't help the large smile that spread across his face as he watched his boy petting their hands like he was making it solid. He just loved his son to no ends and it was little things like this that made Conor so proud of his son. That pride shun in his eyes as he kept watching his boy.

"Come on, it's time to saddle the horses," Conor said giving Thomas a chance to finish packing the basket before he walked over to the boy, picking him up in his strong arms before setting him on his shoulders.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:49 pm 

Sort of back.

Alexia noticed her mother’s expression, and gave her a sheepish smile. She was sure about what the problem was. The dog. She would take it back out soon, but for now, she felt a need for the animal companion close to her.

Smiling at Rose when she said that she hadn’t lost much, Alexia nodded. “Nice. I wouldn’t have any say in that anyway”, she replied. Despite her not really being allowed to ride, Alexia didn’t seem to mind it at all. It was just for a while, after all.

With a smile when her mother agreed on a light lunch, Alexia nodded. It would be a good idea, so they wouldn’t feel sleepy after lunch and could enjoy their time together. When Rose looked at her that way, Alexia nodded almost imperceptibly to reassure her mother that she was fine. Focusing back on the picnic plans, Alexia thought for a moment before answering her mother’s question. “I think we can start preparing everything. I guess we’re all excited for our little picnic”, she replied. “And it’s a great idea to carry a loaf and stuff to make sandwiches once we get settled”, Alexia completed, thinking it was an easier way of preparing things, and a practical one in case someone wanted seconds. Alexia was still unsure what she would want, but she would make up her mind before they left for their little picnic.

Knowing that Thomas wasn’t picking up on her tension would definitely make Alexia feel better. It was one less worry for her, after all.

When her son placed his hands over her and her husband’s joined hands, Alexia smiled. “I think I would like chicken breast, cheese and tomato”, she mused, feeling that it would satisfy her for a nice lunch.

Feeling Connor’s embrace had also helped ease her tension. It was good to know that her erratic moods didn’t upset him too much.

Satisfied that everyone had made their choices, Alexia smiled at her husband and son. “Great, you boys go ahead and do this. I will take a quick nap, but I’ll definitely be back up before we’re supposed to leave the house”. After this comment, Alexia gave her husband’s hand another squeeze, and then moved her hand to squeeze her son’s before letting them both go and stepping back. A nap would work as a good way to relax, or an excuse to be alone for a while more.

Before excusing herself, Alexia would still plant a kiss on her husband’s lips and turn to her mother. “Do you need any help for now, mom?”, she asked, waiting for Rose’s answer so she could make her plans.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:40 pm 

Rose noticed Thomas taking requests of sandwich spreads from his parents. Looked like he was getting ready to leave now, and Alexia seemed to agree with the sentiment. Rose decided to chime in slightly, taking the stuff he had already brought out and helping him place it neatly in the basket.

"You know what I like already, Thomas," her eyes crinkled in the corners as she smiled at her grandson. She wasn't a person who enjoyed change well. It was why she had been so scared to move away from home, to marry David, to do everything. But their farm gift had made everything better. She could be happy and safe in a place that was just a little different, from the layout of the rooms to the colours of the walls and the door handles, but still with the same air. The same feeling. The fields.

Peanut butter and jam sandwiches with bananas wasn't the only thing in Rose's life that stayed constant.

Rose stole a strawberry from its container, admiring how sweet it was. Wiping her lips clean of the juices, she threw the leafy head into the garbage under the sink. They had a compost bin out the back, but sometimes she was guilty of time-saving by throwing organic waste into the wrong pail.

Alexia didn't seem to respond to Rose's silent communication. She let out a little sigh. Maybe her daughter just needed time. Alexia had always been a little roller-coaster, usually going back up on her own. Rose only wished that she didn't have to go down at all.

"I can take the things that are hard to reach out of the fridge for you, Thomas," Rose said, grabbing the handle and pulling the mentioned receptacle open. They kept the left-over cooked meats in the top back of the fridge, which Thomas couldn't yet quite reach by himself. He was growing though, as evident by the door trim in the family room, that proudly displayed Alexia's growth stages, and was beginning to accumulate Thomas'. Rose looked forward to adding a new addition to the chart in some months' time.

As Conor and Thomas headed for the door to prepare to saddle the horses, Rose grabbed the basket of food and the two loaves of bread which didn't quite fit in, but were easy enough to carry. She would have to walk down to the river. Conor could lead Puddles, though Rose would want to saddle her. It wasn't that she didn't trust Conor, as he was an excellent stable hand, but Rose liked the personal touch of doing it herself before riding.

Rose looked down at her full arms before replying to Alexia's question. "I think I've got this, but thank you. You go have your nap, sweetheart." Rose gave her daughter a quick kiss on the cheek before heading out the door, following in the footsteps of a curly-haired boy on a broad man's shoulders.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:59 am 

Nodding at his parent’s requests for lunch, he spun around on his heels to finish packing the rest of the basket with his grandmother. “Peanut butter and jam with bananas again? It’s pretty cool that you always know what you’re looking for, grand-owl.” As soon as the words left his mouth, he paused mid-way between placing some cheese, tomatoes and mustard into the basket. He turned to look at Rose. Blinked. “…Grand-owl! Hey, can I call you that? It suits you, since you’re cool and wise and all,” he chuffed, finally packing the produce away after his little bubble of thought. The nickname had a nice ring to it, and suited the whole bird nickname theme he was slowly handing out to each member of the family. As Rose went over to the fridge, Thomas hopped up and down on his tip-toes beside her, determined to see at her eye level but not quite there yet. It was an interesting - and kind of scary - thought to think that one day his head could he level to her outstretched hand as she searched the back of the fridge. His growth chart on the wall was making some good progress; Thomas wanted to be tall so he could look over other people’s heads during school assemblies and over crowds when going to the movies. ’Twas a shame to him that they couldn’t share some of the horses’ tall genes.

Conor’s voice soon chimed through Thomas’ thoughts and the boy bounced over to his father’s side. He felt hard, strong, calloused yet kind fingers curl around his waist, hoisting him up to the man’s shoulders. Even though Thomas was much, much heavier than a toddler now at eight years old, it never stopped Conor from having fun carrying him around. Grandpa did say he was a wizard, so maybe his dad was simply a thing of magic. It was hard to tire Conor, hard to break, no matter how much Thomas pestered his father with random requests.

A few years ago, after being told at school that four-leaf clovers were lucky charms that could be found in any possible patch of grass, the boy asked Conor to help him find some in their local forest. They ended up wasting most of the whole day finding nothing but grass! Conor was ready to end it at that, but Thomas persisted that they just had to find one. Conor, his usual silent yet laid back self, quietly searched through weeds well into the evening until eventually Thomas found one, exclaiming in delight. It was then he realised that he had wasted his poor father’s time… But Conor didn’t complain. In fact, he smiled. Patted his head, even. Moments like these influenced the boy to strive to be just as much of a gentleman as his caring father.

Humming a long, happy, drawn-out tone, he lightly hugged Conor’s head, his smaller fingers entwining and fiddling with his mop of blond hair. They overlooked the trail of the barn as they walked in a moment of peace, sunlight shining brilliantly through early afternoon clouds. Turning his head, he spotted grand-owl at the corner of his eye. “Haha, look, I’m taller than you now! You’re going to saddle Puddles, right?”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:23 am 

Conor returned his wife's kiss lightly. Brushing his free hand up against her cheek while looking into her eyes a soft whispered, "sleep well my love." Was his way of wishing her a good nap before heading out with his son. Following Rose through the house and down the steps. Ducking down low so they could pass through the doorways. Conor loved these moments of peace where he could just be a father. He knew book smarts were not his thing and there was a lot he couldn't do that a father usually did. Like help his son with homework, or preparing for tests or studying things. For that mater Conor could hardly read a book let alone understand half what it said. That though was probably more due to the fact his attention couldn't be kept by such stillness. He did enjoy far more practical things with his son. After all not everyone needed book smarts to be a good father. Conor had come to realize that in the moments like these were he could carry his son where most other fathers couldn't. Well physical strength was his strong suit after all.

Conor's eyes scanned the farm as they walked the path to the barn. The beautiful blue sky with light clouds and bright sunlight. The rich green grass almost everywhere dotted with forests at the edges of large fields and pasture. The large barns and animals that were kept in the various open land around the farm. It was truly a haven. A heaven on earth.

Once they reached the edge of the barn Conor linked his hands with Thomas and flipped him up over his head. Upside down for a moment before landing his son on his feet. He grinned over at Thomas and winked. "Ready to get them in from the field?" Conor asked Thomas as he opened the large barn door in front of them. "I think River shouldn't be too hard to wrangle up now." Conor commented. River was a somewhat temperamental horse.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:43 pm 

Sort of back.

Alexia couldn’t help but notice her mother telling Thomas that he knew what she liked already. She was sure he did, as Mom didn’t seem to like variety very much. Alexia, her polar opposite in that regard - as in many others -, loved to try new things, be it in the kitchen, the clothe racks, or (something she would never discuss with her mother, naturally) in bed. Of course, she had to be a lot less adventurous with everything now, but Alexia was pretty sure she would pick up on her ways again as soon as the baby came.

Focusing back on the matters at hand - that is, preparing for the picnic, Alexia looked around to see if someone needed something she could do. It was something Alexia couldn’t change about herself. No matter how busy, tired, or anything else she was, Alexia had to make sure she wasn’t needed before she could relax.

For now, though, it seemed like everyone could find their way without her for a while. That was nice, it meant she could take her nap and not let anyone down. She would talk to mom afterwards, in private, and let her know what was up, as she didn’t want Rose to think she was hiding something, and as maybe talking to mom would make her feel a bit more at ease.

“All right, mom, thanks”, she replied to Rose’s answer about being able to handle everything. “See you soon”, Alexia still completed, welcoming the chance of being home alone. Kissing her mother’s cheek back, Alexia sighed. It would be okay to meet everyone after a while, she was sure.

After her mother, Alexia turned her attention to her husband and son, experiencing that similar feeling of intense and deep love. Her family. It was so funny to think that she had a family of her own. She had always been a wild child, and a wild teenager, whose life could have turned much, much worse. For some odd reason, Alexia had never realized how many messes she could have gotten herself into had Conor not been there by her side. With a deep sigh, Alexia closed her eyes for a moment, thanking whoever was in charge of the Universe for her husband. She would have to thank him later, but for now, a nap it was.

Checking if everyone was in order in the kitchen, Alexia finally made her way to the room she shared with Conor. After stretching for a moment, Alexia slipped into bed and set the alarm clock for twenty minutes. As she was sleepy, her had had barely touched her pillow when her eyes closed. She would take her short nap and get up feeling refreshed after twenty minutes. It wouldn’t take long for Alexia to be out of the house, and following in the direction where the family usually gathered for their picnics, carrying a tablecloth, in case they had forgotten, and her knitting basket. It would be nice to get some work done while enjoying fresh air and watching the family ride, after all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:10 pm 

"Grand-owl?" Rose blinked, unintentionally imitating the very creature suggested in her newly conjured nickname. She'd been compared to the animal since she was a child, especially so when she received her glasses in her thirties. It was her quiet, but slightly skittish movements that enhanced the effect but also, or at least Rose hoped, a bit of owl-like wisdom that she had.

Rose pretended to consider Thomas' question deeply for a moment before turning back to Thomas with a smile. "I think that's a perfect name. And maybe you should be called little owl, because we match!" Rose tapped the frame of her glasses with her finger. Rose felt that Thomas had been unsure about the whole glasses thing when it had first been discovered that he needed them, so she had taken him aside and gave him so encouraging words about how nice he would surely look with them, and it didn't mean he had a problem: it was just a little correction.

As Thomas spoke to her from Conor's shoulders, Rose nodded, adjusting the basket that was resting in her left hand and on her hip. Thomas would, with almost absolute certainty, grow to be taller than Rose without the aid of his father putting him up on his shoulders. At five foot five Rose was shorter than many women she met, and quite a lot shorter than the men. There were, of course, exceptions. Like her father, for example. Though Rose supposed he had shrunk with age, once she had reached adulthood she always swore she was taller by a fraction of a centimeter. The sudden thought of her father reminded Rose that they should go to visit sometime soon. While Jacob refused to go into a care home, he had reluctantly moved from the farm to a much smaller property after his wife's, her mother's, death. Rose tried to manage a visit at least once or twice a month, which was sometimes hard to fit as he lived quite a long drive off.

"Of course," Rose was referring to Thomas' question of whether she would saddle Puddles. Recently the horse had picked up the rude trick of exhaling as much as possible while the saddle was being put on, causing it to slip off when he inhaled. It was an easy habit to quell, but Rose had to hand it to him for his cheekiness.

The walk was a pleasant one, with the sunlight peeking through intermittent lazy clouds, and the grass waving lightly in a warming breeze. She could see the horses, heads bowed to munch on the ground's natural salad.

Rose's heart skipped for a tiny moment as Conor flipped Thomas from his shoulders. She was a worrywart, through and through. Except when it came to her own well-being, but that was just a small, unimportant detail of life.

At the mention of River Rose turned to Conor and Thomas. "Can you just check River's old girth sore before you saddle her? It should be fine but I just want to be sure."

The family had acquired River at a sale, and it was evident that she would be a project. From harsh owners before, she had a variety of badly cured sores and injuries, most of which they managed to heal.

The attitude problem was a work in progress.

Rose stepped into the barn, placing the basket and bread on a shelf that also held helmets, an assortment of bridles, and a metal box for keeping documents. She went into the side tack room and brought out several halters and leads, each a different colour and with a name embroidered on the cheek piece. She shifted the one that said 'Puddles' to her right hand and transferred the others to Conor.

"I'll go get Puddles," Rose said, "and I'll meet you two out there." She continued down the path toward the horse field.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:49 am 

An excited, happy gasp escaped him as his father flipped him over and onto the ground. “Okey dokey! I’ll be right by ya,” he imitated the man’s wink back at him before turning around to look down the field. His grandmother called out for them to check on River’s healing sore. The boy nodded back to her before she made her way from the barn and into the other side of the field, where Puddles scratched his usual patch of favourite land. Thomas smiled, thinking about grandma’s new nickname for him. She had a way with making people feel confident about their insecurities that only a wise owl like herself could. At first, wearing glasses had been much of a chore, and he was told that it really changed the way his face looked, or that it could lead to problems with sight reading… But just like every other member of his precious family, grand-owl was always there to remind him that glasses were just as cool of an accessory. Because a Rose such as herself knew just how to give a seedling like Thomas the encouragement to bloom.

Man, was his whole family made up of brilliant farmers.

Horses, admittedly, still sort of freaked Thomas out. Farmer stories of people getting their fingers cut off because a horse would step on their hand whilst hoof-cleaning led him to wonder what else they could do if they simply leapt up and jumped on his head or something. He felt much more at ease being on the back of a horse rather than his small frame standing next to one, so stuck to Conor’s side like glue as they fastened the halters and leads around their farm’s precious animals. Their farm resided many happy, calm and loveable horses, much thanks for that especially going to Rose - Thomas was sure that their good natures would eventually rub off on River, too. As they approached the somewhat anxious creature, Thomas noted that her skittish movements had definitely become much more controlled these days. He looked over to the back of her leg for the girth sore, but the mark could barely be noticed as much of it had faded and returned to its normal skin. “Aw, good girl; with this much improvement from your once tense state, you’ll probably open up so much we’d have to rename you ‘Ocean’, huh?” He smiled smugly at his rhetoric, briefly patting the horse’s belly whilst watching his father prepare her.

By the time they had taken care of most the horses, the last one left to collect was dear Perry. He was a bit of a mischief maker, but that’s what Thomas liked about him. Perry was the first horse he interacted with as soon as he had learned to sit still on the back of one; the two were sharing the beginnings of what seemed like a very long and precious bond as Thomas felt a little bit safer around this particular creature. “Dad, do you think one day I could be as tall as you? I wish I could saddle my horse…” He said, outstretching his arms towards the animal. It seemed as though Perry felt sorry for the boy, as it lowered its head for Thomas to scratch. The farmer boy narrowed his eyes with a meek chuckle. “Thanks, buddy.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:51 am 

Conor looked over to Rose as he finished securing the barn door for them. "I'll double check on her, but from what I noticed this morning she seemed quite well healed. Wouldn't hurt to have a closer look though." Conor replied as he followed her towards the tack room. Taking the proffered leads and halters from Rose he gave her a reassuring smiled, "I'll bring out the rest of the gear to the benches. It'll be easier to sale them out there and use the bar to tether them while we saddle up." Conor went on to say at Rose's comment of meeting them out there. Conor made quick work of getting the rest of the gear rounded up and set on the bench outside for them to saddle the horses.

With one more look at the neat piles to make sure he had everything and to check that Thomas was staying by his side he led the way towards River and the other two horses they would be saddling up for the ride. Because River wasn't completely healed Conor didn't want to ride her all the way down, but he did want to take her along on lead with a saddle to get her used to it again. If she was as healed as he thought her to be. As they finished with the first two and neared River Conor watched as Thomas checked her over. Sanding behind his son he also check to see how the sores were healing and smiled at her reaction to his son's care. "That she is, soon you'll be able to ride her without even remembering how she used to be. See Thomas, any horse can be trained, even one as skittish as River, all they need is to learn to trust you. If you're gentle with them and treat them kindly they'll be your best friend. River here is learning that we'll not hurt her." Conor explained.

He got her lead on her with relatively little challenge. She didn't buck or pull away like she had at first, but she did nip at his arm and hand as he worked. He chuckled at her antics. "You want an apple don't you girl. You got used to me giving you apples whenever I checked you over. Don't you worry. I got some apples with the saddles so if your good, I'll give you an extra one," Conor told the horse with a loving pat on the side of her head as he gathered her lead into the same hand he held the other two.

He looked at Thomas and Perry interacting and smiled proudly. "I think you'll be even taller then me Thomas, you are already taller then I was at your age and you haven't even hit your growth spurt yet," Conor told his son with a big smile. "Soon tike you'll be able to saddle him yourself." Conor measured him as he finished with the lead and held it out toward Thomas. "Why don't you lead Perry, just like I showed you, he'll follow us as we walk." Conor instructed as he started to lead the way back towards the benches where he could then proceed to saddle the horses with Rose and Thomas to help him. River nipped at the base of his neck where the short hairs curled around his collar as they walked with caused Conor to laugh.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:43 pm 

Sort of back.

Alexia was starting to feel like herself again. Staying alone for a while and having time to take a nap had helped, as had knowing that her son was in good hands. Mom and Dad had always been great grandparents for him, and of course, Conor was there as well. With her mind at ease, Alexia had been able to get a refreshing nap and wake up feeling much better. She felt a little ashamed as she walked up to where the family would have their picnic. They had probably worried about her, and Alexia hated making people worry for no reason other than her erratic moods.

Pushing these thoughts aside, Alexia decided she would apologize to the family and then try to enjoy her time with them.

Her walk to the area near the barn, where the horses were, was pleasant. The sun was pleasant, and so was the breeze, and it helped lift her mood. When she finally reached a point where she could see both horses and people, Alexia smiled. It seemed like everything was going well. Even River seemed to be behaving. She sighed softly, wishing she could ride a little, but unsure whether or not she should. Deciding that it was better to be safe than sorry, Alexia opted for simply sitting and watching everyone else ride.

Standing to the side as everyone placed the leads on the horses, Alexia would start walking along as they led the animals, keeping away from their path.

The woman would keep silent for a few moments, only speaking very quietly once the whole family was close enough to hear her. “Sorry if I worried anyone”, Alexia muttered, sighing softly. “I’ll try not to do it again”, she completed, really hoping her family could forgive her for nearly snapping at them.