All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scarborough Fair
View Likes PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:28 pm 

limits are a mindset

Subscriber

Medals: 2
Longest RP (1) Adaptive (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Archmage of Scarborough
Scarborough Castle

The gates opened and left room to a very tense, very weary and very worried General of Scarborough. Aurion had little to no trust at all in the inhabitants of the palace, but especially those surrounding the King closely. Though for some reason he would not want to explain, this creature from Hell, Archmage of Scarborough, knew he could trust Bren. Rulers and kings were betrayed by their slaves and subjects. Humans were always fascinated by the violation of trust, but again, Aurion knew he could trust the General.

The wife, was another story.

He did not greet General Wolfhart verbally, but he did nod his head and gave him a glance that could speak for itself. The well-being of the General, was as important to Aurion as that of the King. He surveyed his Master as he placed a hand on his General's shoulder. That was something the Djinni may never understand. Humans, craved to touch, either to hurt or to show affection. It was one of their many ways of communication on a more personal level.

He raised his eyes to Bren and watched the mortal's almond eyes as they fell on the King as he proceeded to explain what was bothering him so. Aurion's brows suddenly arched and his lips closed in a straight line as he glanced between the King and General Wolfhart.

The Djinni joined both his hands together on his lap and continued listening. His hands were always covered with gloves tailored to fit. His visage and fleshly form was created to mirror pure perfection, but his hands were a different story. His hands were pale and had blackened claws for fingers. His touch was able to incapacitate and even kill. In his freedom he found a corporeal form, but in liberty he also found a curse.

There was intensity in Bren's eyes when he looked at him, emphasizing on the word 'ordinary'. Aurion nodded his head and cleared his throat after a while, finally ready to speak.

"You were not mistaken. Your opinion is valid indeed." A small smile, rather amused, crept onto his face, illuminating his otherworldly features. "You need a long bath, my friend, for I can smell the stench of the enemy on you. Atrocious." The smile faded away, leaving room to a nose scrunching in disgust. Aurion glanced between the King and General Wolfhart, his features suddenly showing subtle signs of concern.

"I am afraid to say that this is no longer your personal concern, General. Your soldiers are our soldiers. We must think, and proceed wisely. There must be no room for anger now. You are brave, General and I do not doubt your leadership and skills, nor your intellect or wisdom, but whoever this enemy is, they will certainly not stop." The Djinni narrowed his eyes, the tone of his voice lowering to almost a murmur as he cocked his head to the side and eyed the General with severity. "They will not stop until the very last in this Kingdom had perished. This dark scent that accompanied you into our home, prophesies only the worst. What do you say, Master?" He averted his gaze to the King. "I wish to patrol the area at dusk. If the General would accompany me, I will be pleased.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:26 pm 

The Blood Trials have officially begun.

King Allistair

Allistair's face was stern by now and set in stone. He knew that Aurion was right in his own sense. Allistair could sense the evil tainted magic on his general where he'd crossed the paths that they had. He knew that he needed rest and that he wouldn't make the best of decisions right now in his current state of mind. He needed rest, and a nice hot bath to loosen his tense muscles. He wanted Bren to calm down before making any other decisions on the matter at hand. He knew just the thing to do.

He looked to Aurion as he beckoned for his approval and spoke. "I would have to agree with you Aurion. It is a sinister presence, but I think that it would be best to let Bren unwind a bit before going on patrol. Dusk sounds reasonable if he wishes to accompany you." He said. He then looked back to Bren and spoke again. "Perhaps after breakfast we could go sparring? And then you can go get a hot bath and take a nap before evening comes. That way you'll be rested and unwound for the upcoming patrol." He suggested to him.

The weary king let go of his general and took his seat at the head of his table. He knew his wife should be arriving soon along with the rest of the staff that usually accompanied him for breakfast. There was much to talk about. And he'd need Harold and Earl to pull some records on the surrounding kingdoms to reference them for a potential culprit.

@WildSpawn @stardust @thetruegarsot @Phyra

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:07 pm 

Earl Seaward, the Archivist Assistant

It would have been obvious to whoever had seen Earl that the question regarding his memory of Millie, the late wife to Harold, came as quite a surprise. Since her passing Harold has not spoken much of her in quite an open manner, though any conversation about the lovely woman was welcome. "Millie.." Earl started to speak as his thoughts went back to the short time he had spent with her. Sure, a lot of those memories were somewhat fuzzy as he was still very young when she was around. However, he did remember how much he loved her, and she loved him, as he spent the very little time he did with her. Her passing was another sad day for the young child that had already seen many sad days prior to him coming to the couple.

The passing of Millie had a huge impact on the archivist himself, according to the observation of the assistant. The young child noticed how Harold would constantly fidget with his jewelry that was a symbol of his marriage to his late wife. This, as Earl assumed, was probably the main reason behind the older man's concern for the youth to find a good woman to settle down with. "...I do remember Millie, though I admit not as much as I would like to. I was still young and hardheaded when she was here, so my memories of her are quite limited. Though I do remember how much she would care for me and how much I loved being around her."

The young man began to chew on the piece of bread that he had been holding in his hand as he sat down next to Harold at the table, thinking about all the times he would be scared during the night, memories of past events haunting him, and Millie would be there in his room to comfort the child. She reminded him so much of his own mother in that regard, as his mother would do the same thing when he would have nightmares. A lot of what Miliie was like reminded the young lad of his mother, which made it even harder when she had passed away.

Looking at the ring that sat on the finger of Harold, Earl began to speak some more, "She was a lot like my mother, you know. The way she cared for me, the way she acted, even the way she spoke. She was very kind and loving and I remember taking to her right away because of it. I had missed my mother so much that when I first heard her I thought she was my mother. She sounded so much like her that I was happy to be just around her. I do miss her dearly, Harold, as I am certain that you must tenfold. Have you been thinking about her a lot lately?"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:02 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Damien looked up as the mage walked in and watched as the man bowed to him. " I wonder if they actually think bowing to me will save them from my wrath? he thought to him self, " but then if they did show me the respect of king id kill them anyway." and with that he gave a satisfied smile and patted the skeleton constructs boney head again. he spoke in the language of the necromancers " my pet you have done well and you have pleased your master in such a way that you may have the pleasure of adding yourself to my throne of bones in place of being destroyed." The only response from the skeleton was a twisted sequel of joy as it ran to the throne and merged its self into it committing suicide.

The king looked at the mage now that he was done with the construct and spoke " Its about time you got here i have a job for you if you can do it the general here had a half way decent plan but went through with it before bringing it before me i want you to create caverns deep within the mountains so the mortal soldiers have a place to train as it will mostly be night when it is time for attack. Can you handle that? Or are you to weak that i should create golems to do my bidding?

Damien walked around the room sensing tensions rise and enjoying every moment of it. He found a certain enjoyment in making people uncomfortable around him. Watching them closely he poured a cup of tea the was a deep red and tasted of iron it was a tea brewed with the blood of the victims the mage took. "Did I hear you working again last night? he asked the mage . " I need some more tea." Damien walked past them and out of the door to go see how train was coming and shouted over his shoulder " you idiots are dismissed!"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:09 am 

Most Helpful Member (1) Contest Winner (1)

General Wolfhart // Dining Hall

Bren flinched with the djinni's touch. It didn't make him feel better, whatever it was he was trying to accomplish with the motion. Despite the minor discomfort, he listened to what Aurion had to say, finding it far more important than his mimicry of human gestures. He nodded to himself, satisfied to have his observations affirmed by his peers. It often did him well to know he wasn't being overzealous by pointing the blame at magic. It wasn't uncommon of him, after all.

He tried to relax, but was finding it difficult to even sit still. He forced a deep breath to collect himself. Maybe they were right, and it would do him well to view this situation with a cleared conscious. One cannot rightly evaluate a battlefield when they can see only blood. As much as he was reserved about the djinn, Bren had to admit he did possess a sharp mind, and was far easier able to act as a tactician where Bren preferred to charge in spear-first. Oh how he valued these two. What a complicated relationship.

He released his breath and thanked Aurion for his thoughts with his usual nod. He turned his attention on the king. Indeed, they hadn't sparred in some time. He could do with a good duel now; there was no better way to relieve stress than to hit things, and it was all the better if they hit back. A small, very subtle smile pulled at his lips. It was commonly known that Bren did not take sparring lightly. He really did go all-out, and if it weren't Allistair, he wouldn't be allowed to spar with his king at all as he might... damage him.

"Very well," he spoke, feeling his mood lifting only just. "Would Aurion prefer to spectate or shall we use sticks to duel?"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:51 am 

King Allistair

Allistair noticed the miniscule rise in Bren's demeanor and took it as a small victory. He smiled afterwards and took his seat at the head of the table to await for his wife and their other guests before answering Bren. "That, I believe, is a question better directed at Aurion." He said to him. He was sure his archmage had more pressing matters than to watch the king and his general spar in the courtyard like they used to when they were young, but perhaps he would fancy sticking around.

Allistair's face was readable easily unless he put forth effort into making sure he seemed neutral. So when he started to go over the to-do list for the day in his head, his thoughtful stare seemed to bore through the wall at the opposite end of the dining hall before he looked to Aurion who'd been up much earlier than the rest of them since he'd never slept. "Aurion, would you happen to know if Harold and Earl will be joining us for breakfast this morning?" He asked him. He usually knew the happenings with nearly everyone in the castle, though how he had no idea.

@WildSpawn @stardust

Harold the Archivist

Harold could see the shock written on the young man's face, but he didn't comment on it instead taking the time while he was speaking to him to cut his own slice of bread and place a piece of the meat that Earl had smoked atop it for some flavor and protein. He took a bite chewing thoroughly before swallowing and staring down at his hands but mainly at his wedding band. He didn't take another bite yet. "Yes...I have been." He answered him simply.

He looked back up and decided to confide in his young apprentice and son. "I find that when I worry or there is trouble afoot I think of her quite often." He gave a weak sort of smile. Harold was put together in a lot of ways. He was very educated, calculated, and smart. He was also warm, loving, and inviting. But there were also a lot of ways that the man seemed different since Millie died. He seemed broken in some ways.

"I expect Allistair will have some work for us after he eats his breakfast." He said to him as he took another bite of his food. "But I can't imagine him feasting on any finer breakfast than the one you've prepared for me." He said to him as he smiled and patted the boy's leg.

@thetruegarsot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:13 am 

Medals: 3
Most Patient (1) 1st Year (1)
Most Helpful Member (1)

Francis hide the wince he of pain he felt as the skeleton squealed in delight. He didn't see what was so delightful about adding itself to a pile of bones that made up a chair, but then again he knew his options weren't near as bleak as the skeletons. At least when he died, he knew there was more on the other side. That much was obvious to the non-magic user. After all, who else would Necromancers summon if there wasn't even an other side?

And yes. He started the plan without you. His frowned deepen as his thoughts turned darker. If he had to wait for a spoiled king's approval of every single thing he did, he wouldn't get anything done. Or worst, he would lose his entire army. He was in charge of his men. He would train and order than as he saw fit. Daimen shouldn't really care unless they weren't doing his ultimate goal which was to capture Scarborough. Last the general knew, Daimen hadn't ever lead an army with human fears and emotions. The dead won't fight against their summoner but a living army sure would against their general. So he would rather act now and beg what little forgiveness that Daimen would give than to put his men's lives at stake and have them turn on him.

Giving a brief nod of acknowledgement to the mage, he moved to leave the room. "How long do you need Archibald? Would an hour suffice?" That was all he was willing to give the mage. If it couldn't be done in time, it wasn't on his head. He had other things to worry about. Namely, getting the troops ready for the move underground. He doubted any of them would be happy, but he had little choice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:30 am 

Archibald the Puppet Master

It was not the sort of attitude that was shockingly surprising for the archmage to get from the young king as it had been something the elder mage had dealt with since the young one had been a child. Still, to have someone, even the king, address Archibald in such a way made the dark magician feel a bit disturbed. The questioning of the mage's magical abilities added to that feeling as Archibald nodded his head, "I am quite capable of such a minuscule task, my king. I will take care of that right away." Archibald spoke while holding back a look of disgust that would have read across his face otherwise. When the king questioned his late night endeavors, the mage thought about his new minion before speaking again, "I have added a well known street rat to the ranks of our undead warriors, one that should prove to provide many resources into the underground networks that are said to infest the lands. This should help us in gathering information on our enemies. For now though, I shall make my way to the mountains. Good day, my king."

It was several minutes later that Archibald had found himself standing at the base of the mountains his highness had been speaking of, having used a travel spell to make a trip that would have taken at least several hours by foot. The archmage walked up to the hard rocky surface of the mountain and pressed his hand against it, feeling the density of the object. The idea of having the king question his ability continued to ring in his head as he began speaking an incantation in a low, quiet tone, barely only a whisper. A few spoken words later, bright lights began to appear on the surface area of the stone in the shapes of rune like carvings. Taking a step back, Archibald took the scythe from the sheath on his back and held it firmly in both hands, blade pointed towards the wall that was now covered in runes that shone brightly.

Very carefully the dark mage edged the weapon closer to the rocky surface while continuing to speak the spell that he had begun. With precision care he slightly touched the tip of the blade to the mountain side while finishing the incantation. In an instant, the runes flashed bright white light and then began to fade away, as did the stone that they were once set upon. A few minutes pass by as the mage's eyes watch the stone evaporate into black smoke that lifts into the air, eventually revealing a large cave. Wanting to be sure of his work, the old man made his way into the darkness and began roaming the caverns, many twisting, winding paths that are designed to throw off any sort of enemy who would be trying to spy or strike. Having completed the survey of the area that would later be the training grounds for the king's men, Archibald summoned a messenger spirit before him, "You will go and inform the good general that the mountain has been prepared for his troops and he may move them in. Go forth and do not waste a second, lest I bind your soul to eternal torment." With that, the tiny spirit flew off quickly towards the castle in order to relay the message.

Ever since the death of Millie, the young man had done his best to comfort Harold, knowing that the older gentleman would never be the same without her. This made the overall feeling around the library a bit tense and somewhat morbid at times, which was to be expected. Earl would notice the archivist fidget with his jewelry every so often, especially during times of great worry, "I have noticed that a few times before, Harold. I worry about you during those times." He let a break of silence set over the room before continuing to speak while watching his mentor eat the food, "I sometimes think it is the reason you push yourself so hard in the library, I am afraid that you will end up running yourself into the ground if you keep at this pace. I can't imagine Millie wanting to see you like this."

He lifted a piece of meat to his mouth and chewed with delight as Harold mentioned King Allistair possibly having need for the two of them, wondering if the king too had any knowledge of whatever presence was being felt by the Archivist. Certainly the Archmage would have felt it and have a way to figure out the source of such a sinister taint that had been filling the air. "Is there any sort of aid we can provide in regards to the impending war you speak of or this horrible presence that fills the castle?" The thought of war made the hairs on the back of his neck stand as he began to consider what sort of protection he would be able to bring for the kingdom and Harold. His broadsword, which was kept always on the mantle above the fireplace, would provide some form of guard in the young assistant, though he is not as trained as he would like to be. Aside from that, the knowledge he has gained from reading many of the libraries vast collection of books has increased his mental capabilities to the point where he can be an excellent strategist, diplomat, and record keeper. He knew though, however, that the kingdom's future would rely on the King and his trusted men.

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:41 pm 

Most Helpful Member (1) Contest Winner (1)

Queen Cestaline // Scarborough Castle
@WildSpawn @Lewi

Ces made no secret of her arrival. Her sharp, leafy eyes landed on each of the occupants in turn, then finally on her husband, to which she greeted him in her usual, wordless manner. Earlier, she'd been listening to the men's conversation, and found the matters at hand to be quite interesting. It was difficult to resist showing her pleasure at the situation. Who indeed? The queen approached the table, lifting her gown off of the floor as she took the liberty of seating herself. Long before, she'd insisted the men refrain from standing when she arrived. Dismissing such formalities, she thought, helped upkeep her appearance as a queen whom could see eye-to-eye with the men in her husband's ensemble. A trusted party.

Her hands folded delicately over the table as she smiled gently to Allistair's two most trusted men. How she despised them both. The djinni would never allow her a moment of privacy with Allistair. She couldn't remember a time they were ever alone without her husband needing to request it. Aurion made no effort to hide his distaste for her, preferring to refer to Allistair as his 'master'. She wished she could put him back where he came from and toss it into the depths of the sea. Perhaps in a thousand years time it may resurface into a poisoned grotto.

His General was a different story. The man had long been one of Allistair's closest friends. Though he didn't seem to hold any ill will against her, Bren was so fiercely loyal to Allistair that she saw him as a potential problem. If he even for a moment suspected she was up to anything, he wouldn't keep it a secret from her husband, and she feared her husband might just believe him. Not that she had any plans to raise such suspicion; luckily for her, Bren was always so embedded in military business that he rarely had time to pay any attention to her.

How perfect this was that both would be together tonight. That's two hens with one axe.

She raised her goblet of water to her lips and sipped at it. None of these men had any idea what a blunder they had just made. When the goblet was returned to the table, she looked to Allistair and placed her ringed hand gently atop his, feigning a concerned look.

"Surely Harold is quite busy enough in these times," she told him. She then turned to both Aurion and Bren. "You have both been working so hard these days. Why don't we all take things easy, hm? I will write to the Barons at once and request their cooperation in this matter. It will help ensure your safety in your patrol tonight."

She allowed a warm smile to adorn her face. She would be writing to only one Lord, of course, but they didn't need to know that. "With your blessings, of course, my love."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm 

King Allistair

Allistair smiled at his beautiful wife as she entered the room. Despite her feelings for him, it took no fool to see how deeply attached to the woman Allistair was. He was madly infatuated with her, and it had been so really from whence they'd first met. He just found something about his wife so wonderful. And he could never manage to pinpoint it, but she was his perfect delicate rose in his opinion despite what the others thought. And it wasn't a secret that he would kill for the woman in a moment's notice should the notion be one of right judgment.

Upon listening to his wife's words, he thought them over for a moment. Perhaps she was right. Harold was getting rather old, and he did need someone like Earl to look after him in his hour of need. He did enjoy seeing the duo, but it was possible they'd had other plans this morning. However before day's end, he made a mental note to send a messenger to them to pull recent records and see if they could find any sort of correlation to the disappearances and enemy kingdoms.

At the mention of contacting others for help, Allistair thought that it could possibly be a good idea. Any extra help they could get was welcomed. Especially at this sign of trouble. He hadn't ran any recent recruitment campaigns, he'd had no need to, and he couldn't very well do that with trouble looming where he needed his military, and Bren's, attention elsewhere.

"I think my dear that might be a good idea. What do you two think?" He asked consulting his general and archmage whilst lacing his fingers with hers with the hand she'd taken his with.

@Kiddo @WildSpawn

Harold the Archivist

At the mention of his hard work the old man was rather shocked by his son's observation. Had he been that distant? He supposed it made sense. He couldn't remember the last time that he'd been to their home after Millie's passing. He'd been there sure, but he spent the vast majority of that time here. Even sleeping as Earl had found him this morning. Harold hadn't thought it had been that obvious. He made a choice in that moment that he'd do more towards going home and trying to be at home more for Earl. The boy surely would like to spend some time with him outside of this library.

He spoke. "I apologize Earl...I didn't see how much time I was truly spending here. It seems that I have replaced my home with a labyrinth of books...I didn't realize that it had become so severe." He said to him hoping that he'd accept the apology. "This evening we will leave early huh? Go home and make a nice dinner together." He suggested to him. He then smirked. "I might even let you stand on the stool like you used to when you were little."

He finished his fill of the food Earl had prepared, and when he did, he thought about what he'd said in regards to the impeding war. "The only sort of assistance that we could give without getting in the way is to follow our orders from King Allistair to the very letter dear Earl." He explained to him. "If we were to try anything else, I fear we might just get into the way."
@thetruegarsot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:39 pm 

The young lad could not help but grin widely at the mention of dinner at home with the man that he has come to accept as a father over the time he had known him, thinking of spending time together without work being perpetually in the way. Without hesitation Earl shook his head slightly before saying, "You mustn't apologize, Harold. I know all too well what it is like to have lost someone so dear to oneself. Truly, I just hope to not see your work swallow you up completely, as important as your work is indeed it still must be given a break every now and again."

Admittedly it felt strange for him to speak to Harold in such a way as it was usually the older man that was giving the advice but Earl felt that he knew the man long enough to be able to give him suggestions that he felt were sensible. While he thought about the words he had just spoken, the young assistant finished his meal and began cleaning up the area the two had been eating at. The food that was left would be stored for later and could be used for the dinner later that night, Earl was thinking. He was glad that Harold enjoyed the meal as the young man enjoyed being able to please his mentor whenever possible.

However, the thought of the current situation regarding a foul presence over the castle was something that was going to need their full attention. As much as Earl wanted to be more active in his role about this, he knew that Harold was right. Any help that could come from them, especially Earl, would have to be from following the orders of their king. Any sort of foolhardy action could end up making the situation worse as there are still many mysteries regarding this presence. "Now, about this...'thing' you sense," the young man spoke carefully and heard his own voice beginning to lower as he went on, "you are sure that whatever it is has made its way somehow into the castle? Wouldn't that mean that whatever it is would have to be dealing with some powerful magics to be able to evade both your's and the Archmage's detection? I dare not think of who or what could possess that kind of power, and to have made it far enough to be within the very walls that we all take refuge in."

Earl tried to hold back a shudder as he wondered at what sort of events the kingdom could be looking forward to. He knew fully that the Archmage Aurion and Harold were two of the most powerful magic users in the entire kingdom, as well as many of the neighboring lands. Their awareness for magical properties was beyond imagination, as Earl had come to discover during his time among them, having always enjoyed seeing them at work even though he bore no magical abilities himself which probably helped in his fascination for it. He would spend many hours a day in the libraries of both the castle and at home researching the various types of documented uses of magic in the world, allow himself to become familiar with what mages would be capable of. Aside from his readings he would watch in amazement at both the Archmage's and Harold's use of their magic abilities. This led to his eventual understanding on the proper workings of magic which also led to his knowing that he certainly possesses no talents whatsoever in the Arcane arts, which in the world he lived in it was a great handicap as the number of magic users were steadily growing. To combat this, the young assistant learned how to use magic in other ways; such as potions, elixirs, enchancted equipment, magical tomes, etc. This gave the broadsword user more uses in battle, whenever he would find himself in one.

Yet, despite all the power that the two magical users had, this presence was able to get not only into the kingdom but into the castle itself...this did not bode well for any of them. "How long have you been feeling this presence," Earl spoke with as he heard the worry building in his voice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:15 pm 

Harold the Archivist

Harold was a powerful wizard, but he was powerful in ways that were unaccustomed to battle. He was powerful in the telekinetic magics that allowed for speed reading, organization, information collection, movement of objects, and multitasking. It made him ideal for working in the archives because he could find and record information quickly, and do many things at one time. It made him an organization master for if someone were looking for something urgently, he could scour many books at once to search for the information that he was looking for. And as it came with the multi-tasking segment of his power, his attention span and ability to notice detail, or sense magics of other sorts, he was very in tune with his surroundings and able to sense other magic wielders easily.

He worried about Earl. Earl had no magic, and that was fine, but nearly everyone around them especially people who would want to steal information from the king, attack the kingdom, and even now, most commoners, had some knowledge of the ethereal arts. So he'd taught Earl shortcuts. Fakes. They weren't the best, but they were simple spells that relied on certain artifacts, or would summon a familiar to help or some other such thing that had no real connection to the magics within a person, but rather to the being itself, or the artifact. He didn't want him completely unarmed or unfamiliar in the arts, so he made sure he was well versed. He didn't think it would hurt to know for his own protection either.

He stood slowly his back starting to relinquish some of the stiffness it was holding onto a bit earlier in the day. It still hurt, but the longer he was awake the more it went away. And he was sure moving about a bit would help out. He pushed his glasses up on his nose. Another habit he had. Without his glasses he was quite literally blind not being able to see past the end of his nose, and because of that, he would panic if he didn't have his glasses. He took them off only at night (that being if he didn't fall asleep with them on) and he would reach for them first thing in the morning. One thing remained certain, if one could wipe out the head archivist, they would likely be able to sneak information much easier, and they'd be able to slow down progress on information transfer between the libraries and the king a lot, if not completely halt it, and if it was to be done, the easiest way to do so would be take his glasses.

Helping to pick up around him, he mulled over Earl's question. It had been a long time, and it took some effort to remember when it started. He also started to use magic to pick up and organize a bit. Some papers around them tinted with a light blue aura and began to float and order themselves or go to their designated pile or place ghost images of letters seeming to fly off the pages as he instantaneously processed the information on the pages to know where to direct them. He'd become so good at multitasking, that it seemed the objects around him had a mind of their own by how little effort he seemed to put forth into his job. But alas, that was the reward for doing a job like his so long. Finally he spoke, "I...couldn't really be certain. It's been awhile, but it was just recently that it seemed to get so much worse. It's been steadily growing for at least three years." He explained.

@thetruegarsot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:00 pm 

limits are a mindset

Subscriber

Longest RP (1) Adaptive (1)

Archmage of Scarborough
Scarborough Castle

"That, I believe, is a question better directed at Aurion." 

Aurion smiled in the direction of the King. Something in the man's eyes conveyed his thoughts and he answered, attempting to surprise him. “It will be a pleasure of mine to watch the duel between your Majesty and our General.” He averted his eyes to Bren and nodded his head while raising a glass which contained a refreshing beverage, but a content that will have no taste on the demon's tongue or lips.

When the Queen entered the large room where the King and his company seated themselves for breakfast and converted in matters of the Kingdom, the demon surveyed her as she advanced forward with a certain glare in his eyes. But the look of hostility passed his light green eyes for only a brief moment. He did not stand up. Instead, he continued to sip the tasteless drink in his goblet, eyes locked on her the entire time.

She was surely not a bed of roses. Aurion could not comprehend once what Alistair found so attractive about the Queen. He studied her hand movement, as the ill-natured drank from her goblet, returning it soon after to the table before laying her hand atop the King's. He took a sip of his drink and shook his head when the King requested to know if the Harold the Archivist and the Apprentice will be joining them for the morning meal.

"You have both been working so hard these days. Why don't we all take things easy, hm? I will write to the Barons at once and request their cooperation in this matter. It will help ensure your safety in your patrol tonight."

Aurion did not tolerate her audacity but he was also not worried about voicing his opinion, even if whatever he was about to say may hurt the King. The King should be wiser enough to understand that Aurion was not chained to mortal laws. He smirked as he glanced at the Queen, returning her smile with a tilt of his head.

"How kind of you, my Queen." He began, calmly, eyes never leaving her face for a second. They remained locked on her facial features while his orbs grew glazed and he did so as he proceeded to respond to the King with an opinion that was also directed to the Queen. "As much as I find the Queen's idea interesting, it is in our best interest to take care of the matter ourselves. For the security of our Kingdom, it will be wise of you my King not to get the Barons involved in this. We do not know for sure who we are dealing with. As a matter of fact, I do not need to rest. The General and I will take this matter under our command. We must keep secret the preparation of our patrol this evening and we will take our own men with us."

Aurion looked away from the Queen and regarded the King, meaning every word he said. He stared deeply into the King's soul as if imploring him to disregard the nonsense the Queen was suggesting. "My Lord, you must have trust in your Archmage. At least for this mission, we do not need to involve the Barons just yet. For all we know, the enemy could be hiding in the shadows of our own habitat. We cannot permit for any catastrophic scenario to unfold while we are unprepared."

@Kiddo @Lewi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:24 am 

Earl had seen it all thousands of times before yet each time he witnessed Harold use his magic it always struck him with awe. Even though he did enjoy the works of most magic, watching Harold use his was something special. In his time, Earl had seen a great variety of magics but almost all of them were usually used for combative purposes. He was used to seeing the type of arts used for battle before having met Harold, but the type of utility magic that the Archivist used was quite different. The ability to speed through multiple books in one time and gain all the information from it was by far the most impressive power the young assistant had seen, among all other spells, in his humble opinion. This meant that Harold could gain knowledge on various subjects in mere seconds, giving him unprecedented learning capabilities. He knew that many mages and scholars in the world would kill to have such a power, especially those mages that must read through entire tomes before being able to properly use whatever magic they desire.

Another impressive point about the power of Harold was his ability to organize and keep track of all of the important documents and texts that hold the most delicate of information about the kingdoms and their history, current and former figures, events that shaped the world. To be able to keep all these things in order while at the same time remembering exactly where everything is at any point is another quality that many scholars would kill to have. This made Harold a most vital part of any kingdom and was an invaluable member of the world as a whole. Without him, many secrets and information would be lost. This was part of the reason why Earl admired the man so much, aside from his caring nature, as well as why the young warrior swore to become his assistant and ensure he is protected even though Harold is quite capable, if not more so than Earl, of handling himself. Even still, the assistant would not take that chance, especially now that the thought of impending wars and castle invaders have entered the mind. If anyone were to get their hands on the mind of Harold, however difficult such a thing would be, the kingdom would be at great risk.

"Do you think the King and his men have come upon this presence as well," the youth asked while checking to make sure the area they had been eating at was cleared, which it was. Three years, though Earl, how could something of a magical nature be able to cloak itself around here for three years?

Waiting for the archivist's answer, Earl walked over to weapon rack that was holding his sword and took out a small dagger that was sheathed with it, placing it blade down into his belt. "Perhaps we should speak to the King and his men about this?"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:35 am 

King Allistair

Allistair grinned at the answer he received about his and Bren's duel later from Aurion. Aurion always did seem to enjoy watching the two spar. Even if he couldn't pinpoint why. "An audience might do us some good eh Bren?" He asked him just as his wife had joined the party.

He didn't know why he always seemed so hostile towards his wife. As a matter on it he'd given up trying to figure it out. He just assumed it was something with the djinni and women. He honestly hadn't found the man's words all that stinging, so he ignored it and instead come to accept it as his attitude on a normal basis. He then thought over what Aurion said while he sat there before answering him, but directing it towards his wife. "Darling I am afraid I am going to have to agree. He does arise a good point, and he's not my master strategist for nothing." He said with a smile. "I do thank you for the concern though my dear." He said giving the top of her hand a light kiss.

He then looked over to Bren who'd been absent minded most of the conversation and spoke not wanting him to be excluded. "Hungry? I hear they're making fresh bacon this morning." He tempted the man trying to spark a conversation and ease his mind from its worry. "Our breakfast should be along soon I hope." He said to the both of them. "Though as much as I hate to bother the duo, I think it would be best to pull some documents on the nearby kingdoms. What do you two think?" He asked Aurion and Bren.

@Kiddo @WildSpawn

Harold the Archivist

Harold had sorted through the things in his sight within seconds and the place was already looking more tidy. He then looked to his son and crossed his arms over his chest as he often did when standing idly. "I can't be sure. If anyone has, then it would be Aurion. He is more in tune with magic than I am. There is a reason he is archmage. We should ask him about it later when he's alone. Perhaps catch him after breakfast? Or around noon when he is in his office?" Harold suggested.

Thinking about when they could catch them all together to talk to them about it, Harold spoke again. "I agree. It needs brought to their attention. I think the only time we may be able to catch them all together may be now however and now is breakfast time...Perhaps just after breakfast then? Unless you think you can hold more food?" He teased him. He didn't wish to interrupt Allistair's meal especially if it would be for some matter such as that. And it would be rude to sit there and not eat.

@thetruegarsot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:45 am 

Medals: 3
Most Patient (1) 1st Year (1)
Most Helpful Member (1)

Francis was overseeing the move towards the mountain. He had no idea where the mage was. He didn't really care either. So long as he was making that damn mountain training ground, he could be fishing in the pool in a pretty, green dress. What he did other than that had no affect on Francis and he really couldn't give a flying dragon what he did and didn't do. Unless he brought the wrath of Damien down on them. Then he cared. Francis had no desire to be part of the army of the undead. When he died, he wanted to say dead.

The hot sun beat down on him and his men as he directed them into columns and made sure the wagons were packed with the supplies they couldn't carry on their own. It was sweaty and grueling work, but he would see them moving by the end of the day. The only upside he could see to this is they would be far enough away from the King that maybe he wouldn't be breathing down his back every five seconds. That was the most annoying part of this entire thing.

When the little...Thing, appeared to say the mountain was ready, Francis nodded. "All right men! Time to move out and if I hear one complaint!" He made a slashing motion across his throat to illustrate his point. This army had no room for complainers. End of story.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:54 pm 

"I am not sure something like this can wait. If what your feeling is correct, which by all means I believe it to be, then there is no telling when whatever this is may strike. Of course, I do not mean to be hasty," Earl placed the sheathed broadsword on his back before going down one of the aisles of the library, stopping near the center before facing a shelf containing a special tome that he reaches for. Opening the book a piece of parchment falls out and is picked up off the floor. He brings both the parchment and book back to Harold and begins to silently read a passage that makes runes appear upon the scrap of paper.

Still quietly reciting the incantation, he walks over to Harold before stopping only a foot or so from in front of him, bending down to place the paper just in front of the old man's feet. With the book in his other hand he backs off slowly while finishing off the final words of the spell that is intending to complete. Speaking the last word with an elongated emphasis, he points to the paper while speaking the last syllable and watches the paper flash for a split second, the runes disappearing right before the very paper disintegrates from existence, a puff of white mist floating up from where it had previously been. The mist expands until it takes up the entire library, though if anyone were to breathe it in they would detect not a single scent or taste from it as its appearance was just cosmetic.

"I do not want to risk anyone entering the library while we go speak with the King," spoke the young assistant with great care in his voice. The purpose of the mist was to be a kind of deterrent to low level demons and some mages that would not be able to pass through it without alerting the castor or the intended holder of the spell, which was made to be Harold when the paper was placed in front of his feet. "As you know," the confident youth spoke again, "this spell allows both of us to know if anyone with even the tiniest bit of magical property enters this room while we are away. Strong mages will of course be able to block themselves from being detected but even then the mist will act as a defensive mechanism and attempt to fill the lungs of those who try to trespass here. It won't kill them of course, it is not that kind of spell. At the very most it would cause them to feel woozy and drain them of energy." He smiled as he went to place the book back onto the shelf in its proper place, "I love magic. It's a shame I do not have the inherent ability to use it."

"Now," he suggested while returning to Harold, "I would not mind speaking about this matter over another breakfast," Earl winked at his father before gesturing his arm towards the door, "after you?"

Archibald the Puppet Master

"When is that Francis going to arrive?" Spoke the dark mage out loud as he waited inside the center of the cavern he had recently created for the troops that would be training here. He wanted to wait until the General arrived to know if the place he carved out would be able to accommodate the part of the army that would be in here. This was because Archibald considered himself to be a perfectionist, and was not because he felt like he needed to ensure the King's men were comfortable in any way. He could careless about such things and would rather have them all be his undead slaves. Still, he understood the importance of having some followers still alive. Sure the undead creatures were always obedient and followed every order to the T, but that was also a problem at some points. They would follow orders relentlessly, even if it meant doing something foolish and dangerous to themselves. Of course, Archibald did not care if his puppets got themselves killed as far as caring for them but it was an inconvenience to have to resupply himself with a new batch of followers every time one of his previous ones would fall off a cliff in order to pursue a foe.

Yes, as much as he disliked the living filth that was around him, he did know that they were in fact useful at times. Especially this General Francis that the Archmage now waited on. "The good General is not going to tolerate the King's insolence forever," Archibald spoke to himself while contemplating the meeting that took place between the three of them earlier, "and neither shall I for that matter. For now, I shall put up with it as this war he looks forward to will do wonders for my magic." He, of course, is referring to being able to grow his undead armor to incredible numbers which would then make him a much more powerful necromancer as his magic abilities in that field are heavily determined by the amount of followers he has under his wing.

Initially, to gain a servant, he must give up a small portion of his power, along with some blood, while performing an exact ritual that turns the followers from living to undead. The ritual must be done with precise care or else it will fail and not only will the undead creature not be his slave but Archibald will also be drained heavily of his power and blood, which could kill him instead. But once the ritual has taken place, the servant(s) have been turned, and the Puppet Master has regained his strength he gains a small boost in power from it. For each undead slave, his power grows just a bit which he can then use to make his other magical abilities stronger as well. Unfortunately for his enemies, this power does not decrease whenever a servant is lost. He still retains his power but must use more of his own energy to replace lost soldiers.

"Plus we need the General to be in high spirits if he is to produce the kind of results on the battlefield that we are used to seeing," the mage continued to speak aloud to himself as he waited, " No, this King will end up being the end of us if he continues on like this...well, the end of the kingdom at least. I shall not allow myself to be taken down because of his arrogance. For now, however, I shall tolerate it. His power is far too great to ignore and with proper wielding will be of great use to me."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:32 pm 

Harold the Archivist

Harold smiled as he pulled out the spell tome and used enchanted paper to cast a spell of his own. He made sure to keep plenty of it around for him to dabble with knowing how he enjoyed the usage of magic. Using enchanted paper, or as it was commonly referred to, rune paper, did have its disadvantages, but it allowed him to use magic even if he couldn't wield it within himself. He found that it also helped to use rune paper if one didn't wish to leave a magic trail behind them as it gave a neutral aura rather than the one that would come off with a signature from one's own magic supply. Or even if they were able to see through the ruse of neutrality, it would only lead the person to the paper manufacturer.

He would manage to eat a muffin or some such small thing to eat at breakfast so as to appease Allistair and not to appear rude. He was still full however from his delicious breakfast with Earl. He was trying to think of who all should be there this morning and who was off on errands throughout the kingdom this day. If he was correct, the only ones present should be Allistair, his wife, Bren, Aurion, Earl, and himself. So there wouldn't be much of an issue of talking about the matter in their company.

He smiled as he watched his boy pull off the spell with perfection and proudly patted his back. He spoke. "Very nice. Thank you." He said as he followed along after his son out the door locking it behind them with the key he kept in his pocket. He started off down the hallway with him in a comfortable silence. Soon though the old man's face grew from a contended morning into an analytical crease in his brow. He had made a connection. And it was a connection he couldn't believe he overlooked before. He looked over to Earl. "Earl....When was the young King married?" He asked.

@thetruegarsot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:06 pm 

As he walked down the hall with his mentor the silence that filled the open space was quite nice but was broken by the words of Harold that stung at the assistant's ears, "I was hoping you were not going to ask such a thing, Harold." Before the youth could even begin to think about the implications of what the Archivist was hinting at Earl pulled out a small notepad that was stuffed away in his shirt pocket. One of Harold's pet peeves was making sure that all important events not only be recorded within the books of the library. And since carrying around a bunch of large empty books or scrolls just waiting for something to happen, the old man made it a point to the youngster to carry around smaller pads just in case.

The one that Earl pulled out was from years earlier, "While grabbing the tome that held that protective spell I also grabbed this, easier than trying to find the actual record." He flipped open the book and began reading through until he came to what Harold was inquiring about. "When you had said you were having these feelings for about three years I did not want to jump to conclusions...considering how the King feels about his dear wife. Though to be honest, I never truly trusted her from the first time I laid eyes on her. Something about her always made me feel...itchy, like something was crawling under my skin. But that could be just something else about her. You don't think it would be possible that she has anything to do with this?" He stopped abruptly in the hall before walking slower as he read through the quick notes, "Ahh, here it is. Just as I thought, the King married the now Queen Ces mid-year, three years ago."

He handed the booklet to Harold so that the Archivist could see for his own eyes, "This is not the official document of course, but since you were always on me about keeping notes on important events I always rewritten reference notes onto these small pads just so I could quickly find a specific record. Much easier than trying to sift through pages upon pages since I do not have the magical abilities that you possess."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:49 pm 

Harold the Archivist

Harold frowned as Earl confirmed what he was afraid of. He reached over and took the notebook eyeing it with his own eyes after adjusting his spectacles on his nose. He read it and sighed before stopping beside of his apprentice when he halted his movement towards the dining room. "Indeed it does say it right here.....They were married three years ago in the beginnings of summer." He said.

The old man pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance at the matter at hand as he offered Earl his notepad back to him. He moved from there once he'd taken it to rubbing his temples. "How are we going to go about this?" He asked out loud to no one in particular. He was mainly just voicing his thoughts. He didn't know for certain if the queen was inherently the thing that was causing this unsettlement. But one thing was certain. She was the only one who was new around here when this upset started three years ago.

After gathering himself and starting to walk again a bit slower to the dining room, Harold spoke. "I'm going on with our current plan. I'm going to try to gauge how she reacts to my information I give the king. If she seems guilty or acts differently, then we will know to get the general, archmage, and Allistair alone. So be sure to help me watch her Earl." He explained to him. Harold wasn't sure if she was guilty or not, but he refused to act on something until he knew for certain. He liked to have his facts straight.

@thetruegarsot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next