All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:18 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

Credit: "Polish horse artillery in enemy's fire. Battle of Raszyn 1809"--Wojciech Kossak

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try." --Alexander (the Great)

15 April 1801
Rosemont Hall, War Department, Windovar

Field Marshall Sir Lawrence Weatherby, Duke of Cornwall held his Commanders' meeting at Rosemont Hall, the war department for the Anglo-Serpican Empire in the nation's capital at Windovar. The ancient city rested on the banks of the Anglia River which flowed east from the Bomar Mountains through Upper and Lower Anglia Provinces and then into Serpica. It turns south at Baja Mare and flows into Krystanople, then turns east at the border flowing into the Urumundan Empire.

Rosemont Hall is a rose-colored building made of marble and stone constructed in the early 13th century to house the Parliament. When the newer Parliament building was constructed, the War Department took over Rosemont Hall as it expanded. The Duke of Cornwall maintains an office in a back corner of the first floor. Along the same corridor as his office, there is a large conference room with a very heavy long Oaken table as its centerpiece. Two oversized forest green-padded walnut chairs sit at both ends of the table and ten similar designed smaller chairs rest on either side of the elegant thirty foot table. Along the walls surrounding the conference room are another fifty chairs of this same design. Between every ten chairs or near the doors are small tables containing a kerosene lamp. At one end of the room is a very large box window allowing sunlight to illuminate the room. Paintings of former Kings of the Stewart clan adorn the dark ash paneled walls as well as naval and army officers who provided great military victories to the empire. Scarlet colored curtains hang bowed from the majestic ceiling along the tops of the walls.

At the head of the table stood the 71" Commander of the Anglo-Serpican Army, Sir Lawrence Weatherby. Also known as the Duke of Cornwall, his right hand holding a scabbard. Due to a birth defect, the duke always held some object in his right hand. The Duke waited for a very important guest, soon to arrive.

When the doors opened, Brigadier General Sir Edmund Lathbury announced, "Gentlemen, attention! Announcing in these chambers, his Excellency, King of the Anglican and Serpican provinces, William Stewart the third." The king entered the room, walking immediately to the head of the room. He did not stop to shake hands with any of the officers assembled.

The King smiled and took the Duke's left hand in his own, "Uncle Lawrence, so very nice to see you this fine day. I only wish it could be under more pleasant conditions."

"My pleasure your highness. It is times like these that define the characters of men like us. Today, we are fortunate to be in the company of the finest this nation will ever know."

"So right you are, Uncle." The king released the duke's hand and turned to the assembled officers surrounding the table. Each of the seven corps commanders, plus one additional foreign dressed general sat at the large table. The Duke's staff officers also sat at the far end of the staff table. One brigadier general, three colonels, two lieutenant colonels and one Major made up Marshal Watherby's staff. At the remaining chairs around the room stood two staff officers from each of the seven corps. These were the corps adjutant, a Colonel and the Corps Commander's Aide d' Camp. The adjutant was responsible for taking notes on the operational plan. The Aide d' camp assisted the corps commander with everything including taking notes on personal matters. The Adjutant held the rank of Colonel, while the Aide d' camp could be any rank between Captain and Lieutenant Colonel.

King William turned to face the crowd, still standing. "Gentlemen, as you know, the Dervish Empire has declared war upon us. Their army is assembling as we speak. I have received reports that Dervish cavalry are patrolling the borders north of Upper Anglia and north and west of Kent. We need to move cavalry to the border as soon as possible, but I will leave the operational plan to Lord Weatherby. Make haste, gentlemen. Now is the time for action!"

"Before I turn this meeting over to him, I have two promotions to announce. May I have Lieutenant General Bain and Lieutenant General Monash to the front of the room, please!" The king commanded rather than asked a question expecting the two generals to step up to where he waited on them.

"Room Attention!" Brigadier General Lathbury, Adjutant to the Army announced bringing all military personnel in the room to the rigid position of attention.

"It gives me great privilege to promote Sir Jackson Monash, Viscount Newerth, to the rank of Field Marshal." The king pinned the appropriate rank badge upon his brother-in-law, shook his hand and quietly spoke, "Congratulations, Marshal Monash."

Next the king stood in front the giant of a man, "I take great pride in promoting Viktor Bain to the rank of Field Marshal, the highest rank in the nation." The king stretched onto tip-toes as he attempted to pin the rank badge on the newly promoted officer. Again, he quietly shook his hand and spoke, "Congratulations, Marshal Bain."

Field Marshal Weatherby called out, "Stewards! Brandy!" With those words spoken, an army of white jacketed waiters burst through the doors carrying trays of light brown liqueur. The servants provided refreshments for all assembled. Once the Karlsburg Brandy was issued to everyone, the stewards left the room. Lord Cornwall raised his glass, "To the King!"

The assembled group yelled, "Here here!" and sipped the brandy.

Brigadier General Lathbury raised his glass and yelled, "To the Anglo-Serpican Army. May it teach those Dervish bastards a thing or two about fighting a war!"

"Here here!"

After the glasses were empty, King William left the room to Lord Cornwall. With the doors closed the 48-year old army commander spoke, "take your seats, gentlemen. Before we begin, there is one among us, I would like to introduce. The Ruthenian Emperor has seen fit to provide us with a division of 15,000 soldiers and 36 cannons lead by Lieutenant General Lev Kovalevsky. General Kovalevsky, could you tell us a little about yourself?"

"LTG Lev Kovalevsky" | +

The Ruthenian General stood 74" in height with a very thick handlebar mustache. His pale blue uniform with gold braid, best described as immaculately ornamental. In a thick Ruthenian (Russian) accent, the General addressed the room, "It is both my pleasure and honor to accompany you on this journey. I have come a long way to fight Dervish. My men are battle-hardened veterans. To prevent friendly fire, you will be able to identify my soldiers by the red flag of Ruthenia and the gray uniforms my infantry formations wear. Ruthenian Cossacks are attired in dark burgundy accented in green, tan trousers and their traditional black Colpak headgear. Every one of them sport the traditional mustache like my own. My Cossacks are tenacious fighters. They will rip a hole right through the Dervish ranks." General Kovalevsky returned to his seat.

"Thank you very much for joining us, General Kovalevsky," Lord Cornwall extended his greeting, making a toast to the Ruthenian empire; an excuse to recharge their glasses. The Ruthenian general nodded then Cornwall turned to his fifth corps Commander, "General Markanovich, General Kovalevsky's Division will be attached to your Corps for this operation. After this meeting introduce yourselves."

[NOTE: Kovalevsky Division is posted with V Corps in the 2nd OOC post.]

"Marshal Bain, choose a division commander to take command of your corps. Submit a recommendation to me before you leave the city. I want you to take First and Third Corps (I & III Corps) north to Sharpton and Wallenburg. General Abernathy, take your Second Corps (II Corps) west to Saltville and patrol along the Upper Anglia border. Marshal Monash, choose a division commander to take command of your corps. Submit a recommendation to me before you leave the city. Take IV, V and VI Corps north. Patrol as far east as Wallenburg and as far south as the Upper Anglia. Your army is henceforth referred to as the Army of the Anglia. Marshal Bain, you command the Army of the Boar." The Boar river forms the northern border with York and the Dervish Empire.

"I urge you gentlemen to post your cavalry out to the borders with great haste. We have no idea what the Dervish intentions are. They could strike at any moment from either direction along our shared border. Communicate urgently to your cavalry commanders not to engage the Dervish cavalry until your infantry is within range to support. It will take several days of hard marching for each of your corps to arrive in your Areas of Responsibility. Once we know the location of the main Dervish Army, send word to me. I will ride with the Guards Corps to Ford City. If your corps makes contact with the Dervish Army, fight a delaying action, giving up terrain for time in order to assemble the army at a location of our choosing. General Abernathy, draw them into York and away from the capital if at all possible. If the Dervish is not in your Area of Operations, make all due haste to move to support your fellow Corps Commander, wherever they should be. Leave a squadron of cavalry in your AO upon your departure. Allow them to observe the borders for any additional intrusion. I do not want to be taken in by a ruse. One last thing, with secrecy and covertness, deploy your dragoons across the border in troop-sized formations. Allow them to locate the enemy and send word as to their locations. Your dragoons must avoid contact if possible. If their location and identity is at jeopardy, have them make for the border with great haste. Are there any questions?"

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:47 am 

Medals: 1
Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

It was a surprise when the king himself called for both Lieutenant General Viktor Bain and his colleague Lieutenant General Jackson Monash forward for promotion. As the two men stood in all their pride, Viktor offered his friend a subtle nod of congratulations. It was a great feeling that swept over him as he stared over the room, three of Viktor's sons looked on approvingly. Even his nephew Jackson smiled which was a rare thing indeed.

"Congratulations Marshall Bain." The king spoke softly as he shook the larger man's hand.

"It is a great honor you give me Your Grace, to both me and my family. I will not fail you." Viktor spoke in an easy tone that matched the king's own.

By way of marriage the king was his cousin. Viktor had often told his children that they were better men for it. In the Dervish lands, the high born forgot their honor. They forgot what it meant to be leaders and had become lazy and arrogant. When Viktor's father, the Baron Ludwig Bain, had offered him to the Duke of Kent he rejoiced within himself. It was a miracle in itself that Duke Jackson Morrow III accepted him however. Viktor was but a fourth born son and by rights held no true claim to anything but his name, but it would seem that the Duke saw something more within the once young man. The first years of the marriage were admittedly stressful, but within the first three years the young couple formulated a strong bond.

The meeting went on without much distraction. Field Marshall Weatherby went over the initial briefing and then his plan of defense. A mild feeling of anxiety crept up the newly named Field Marshall Viktor Bain's spine at the thought of facing his own countrymen, but his conviction lie in his loyalties to both his family as well as his king and country. He knew his nephews had command in portions of the Dervish military. It would be unpleasant, but they would die if they must.

Once the meetting was over, Viktor found himself at a wooden desk with quill in hand writing out his thoughts. He studied the troops that were now under his command. They were indeed formidable, stronger in number than his own Corps of men. "Arthur. I require your assistance." His words were firm, but kind.

Arthur was a young man, perhaps not more than two and twenty, with golden red hair that fell to his shoulders. He came into the room nearly at once. "What do you require, sir?"

"I require the presence of my sons Viktor and Roderick. My nephew Jacksonas well. Would you also inform Lieutenant General Laertes Pontier that I ask for his company. We leave for Kent before the week's end and I wish all of my business to be in order before the morrow." Viktor looked back toward his paperwork as his page left for his duties.

"Who put bacon in the soap?!?!?!" - Zim

I'm writing this story! It's called The Legends of Kal'duune. You can comment about things you like or hate, but preferably the first thing, here!

This thing is my resume! Reeeeaad iiiiiit...

Last edited by Malikai on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:12 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Petrojv Markanovich sat absolutely still during the honors awarded to Victor Bain and his colleague. As the toast was raised, he sang out loudly, "hear hear!" with the rest of them. But beyond that, he sat lost in his own thoughts. The Dervish must have had a great deal of pomp and gall to think of campaigning against the Anglo-Serpican alliance.

The others would have the hardest time of it. Krystinople was further south, such that most of the fighting was likely to bypass his lands. But that was not necessarily a boon to his troops. Petrojv Markanovitch did not know nearly as well the Anglican side of the empire as the other officers gathered here today. If he was going to stand any chance of training his troops effectively, he would need knowledge of the terrain.

These and many other thoughts swirled around in his mind. Nevertheless, Petrojv Markanovich did not show any unease as he got up and went to congratulate Field Marshal Bain. "It is a fine thing, Sir Bane. I know that you will serve us well."

As Petrojv spoke, he maintained a tone of steady sincerity, as was his habit with most interactions. Victor Bane was a full 7 inches taller than Markanovich, but he was an honest and sincere man. The two of them chatted for a bit. "I hope you would consider dining at the estate of the Markanoviches. It would be a great honor." Petrojv also extended the invitation to Jackson Monash as well. "It would be a great honor if you might join us as well, Monash. My father keeps extensive stables, and there is good land for hunt."

With these two invitations extended, Petrojv Markanovich excused himself. Stepping outside of the main hall, he paused to gaze out the large glass windows that spanned the main front entrance and upper floor verandah. From his position on the second floor, the green hills unfurled out into the distance. The landscape was dotted with tall fir trees and douglas oaks. They swayed back and forth in an uncharacteristically strong wind.

Petrojv exhaled slowly. He removed his glove and pressed his hand to the glass. It was cold on the other side, such as the overcast sky and wind would seem to indicate. There was a restlessness within him. Petrojv was just about to place his order dossier underneath his armpit and return to the hall when he heard the sound of a vase crashing to the floor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:29 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

23 April 1801
Ford City, Field Marshal Wetherby's Headquarters

The Duke of Cornwall paced in front of the fireplace in the map room of his headquarters. He was graciously accommodated by one of the royals who had a residence in this magnificent city. An ancient castle, left over from midievel times and refurbished sometime within the past fifty years gave the back drop for the Army commander's headquarters.

Cornwall was concerned about the fate of the Army of the Anglica. He had not received any word from Marshal Monash, but he had received reports from Major General Creighton Hobson's 3rd Guards Cavalry Division. The enemy had not materialized in force anywhere along the Dervish border, surprisingly. There were reports of contact with both Dragoons and light cavalry on both sides of the border in troop-sized formations. The most disturbing of all came from Princess Katerina Squadron (13th Hussars)

Massacre at Blemshire
Just west of Watertown, the village of Blemshire, a small hamlet of about 1500 people nestled in some foothills about four miles from the Dervish border. A Troop, Princess Katerina Squadron found all 1500 inhabitants of the village murdered and all livestock missing. The food stores were all barren as well. Four hundred bodies were found inside the church, but most were scattered about the countryside within a one and a half mile radius of Blemshire. The village elders were found impaled upon fourteen foot spruce trees. Their corpses left to rot in the sun, while scavenging birds bit off several sections of the bodies. The eyeballs had already been pecked out. Flies infested the remains and bloated corpses. Lieutenant Colonel Henderson, commander of the 13th Hussars was mortified by the sight of so many slaughtered civilians. He has vowed to bring vengeance upon whichever Dervish unit wrought such devastating barbarism upon the Anglo-Serpican people.

Cornwall also felt the anger well up inside him from receiving the report. He immediately sent a dispatch rider to Marshal Monash's headquarters to inform him of this report. Also, that the 3rd Guards Cavalry had located primarily troop-sized formations of cavalry.

Reports from the 3rd Guards Cavalry in the west
The 10th "Coldstream" Dragoons had ventured as far as the hills overlooking Mount Norin (Nuremburg), Dervishland. The Coldstream Dragoons insist they have not been compromised. The commander broke the squadron up into three 200-man units to conduct decentralized reconnaissance in the enemy hinterland. A Troop and C Troop both report sighting a major Dervish unit 20 miles south east of Mount Norin.

The infantry are clad in black blazers and black trousers with white gaiters and forest green kepis on their heads. The cavalry they have encountered are clad in cream colored blazers with forest green trousers and brown bicorn caps adorned with brilliant colored plumage. The units identified marching in column formation in a south-easterly direction were Generalmajor Theodor Busse's 8th Infantry Division organized into four brigades of Infantry, with its own inherent regiment of artillery and a 1200-man regiment of Hussars. Busse's infantry numbers approximately 14,000 men according to the 10th Dragoons.

Of notice, is that the 8th Dervish Infantry was moving as though it were part of a main body. They did not appear overly vigilant, a quality associated with an advance party. The 10th Dragoons believe there is at least one other division ahead of the 8th in some order of march.

Cobb's Rangers (18th Dragoons) report engaging enemy Hussars at Three Rivers (Passau), north of the Anglian river, not far from Upper Anglia, just west of where the Province meets York. Cobb's Rangers inflicted at least twenty casualties upon the enemy, receiving only one in return.

The Perth Raiders (16th Dragoons) report spotting a Dervish Infantry Division on the road between Reagan (Regensburg) and Watertown (Pilsen). One brigade of the division was at least half a day's march ahead of the rest of the division. They appeared to be ready for a fight. The lead Brigade was clad with Navy blue blazers, red trousers, blue gaiters and red kepis. This unit is identified by the 16th Dragoons as Generalmajor Ingel Niefeld's 11th Infantry Division. The lead brigade is estimated at 3,000 solders. The remainder of the division is believed to be around 9,000 infantry and includes a regiment of artillery. A Cavalry regiment numbering over a thousand troopers is patrolling in front of and to the flanks of Niefeld's Division.

Reports from the Army of the Boar
Bain's Outriders, the elite 12th Dragoons report movement north of the Boar River, about thirty miles east of Wallenburg, at the foothills of Hart Mountain. the 12th Dragoons spied Generalmajor von Hessen-Homburg's 1st Infantry Division. A lead brigade numbering about 4,000 soldiers leads the advance about a half a day's march in front of the remaining two brigades of the division, which number approximately 8,000 soldiers. The Division has an inherent artillery regiment and accompanying hussar regiment numbering more than a thousand troopers. The 1st Division is clad in green blazers, red pantaloons, white gaiters and they wear the red fez. The Cavalry wear a mix of white and yellow uniforms with a mix of czapka's and colpaks.

I Corps' 15th Dragoons, "The Hell Hounds" report sighting an additional division following the 1st Division about one day's march behind on the road from Breslau to Hart Mountain. This formation is believed to be Generalmajor Adolf Mumb's 2nd Infantry Division numbering 12,000 men, a regiment of artillery and about 1200 cavalry.

None of the other sectors along the Boar report contact with Dervish.

The II Corps report no contact with Dervish units in the south.

Field Marshal Weatherby sent a dispatch rider to Marshal Monash insisting he defend Watertown with no less than two divisions of infantry. He also wants the field marshal to remain vigilant to other potential penetrations of the western border. In the report, there is mention of two Dervish Divisions heading toward the Northeastern border near Wallenburg.

Field marshal Weatherby sent a dispatch rider to Marshal Bain asking that he defend Wallenburg with no less than two divisions and be prepared for further incursions south of Wallenburg. He asks both army commanders to keep him informed of any other contacts they may establish.

For General Abernathy's II Corps, Marshal Weatherby requests that the General leave one division near Saltville and move with all due haste, due north in order to intercept the Dervish on their move into the York Province. Please report any contact with the enemy. Permission is granted General Abernathy's II Corps to take on the offensive in pursuing the enemy.

Lord Cornwell, did not know which army to join in order to influence the battle. He decided to send his chief of staff, Brigadier Lathbury to the Army of the Boar and he himself would join Marshal Bain at Watertown.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll