All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some Assembly Required
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:30 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

((I think it's about time we get this party started, yeah?))

((Fair warning: I have NaNoWriMo and other things going on plus RL. Sorry if I'm a bit slow.))

((Also, JD...that thing we talked about...I'll wait for the first round or two of posting before doing it, I think.))

The hum of machinery was distant and low, mere background noise in the darkness of the mostly quiet laboratory. The woman’s eyes darted this way and that as she struggled against the stainless steel band that bound her to the table. She didn’t know where she was and she didn’t want to know. Whatever she was doing here, she had to get away. She had to get out of this place. She could feel the vibrations of the machinery, hear the servomotors grinding, smell the sulfuric crackle of electricity as the air burned…

Her sense weren’t just hyperactive. They were far beyond those of anyone on Earth. That was her mutation. But they didn’t help her here. They didn’t open the shackles that held her or lead her out of the room that confined her. And when brilliant light flooded the place, her eyes and skull were in agony from the sudden blindness that she experienced. Heightened senses weren’t always a boon. The footsteps she heard were like a dozen elephants trampling her ear drums as the man walked down the stairs. He crossed the floor, humming a merry tune as he arranged some tools on a tray. Then he turned to her with a smile. She looked at him only with fear.

“Y’know,” he told her in a somewhat pleasant voice, “you should be lucky that I’m doing this. If my mentor were here, he wouldn’t be quite as…non-invasive.”

The man’s grin widened as he adjusted his glasses. Then his smile was gone, and he sighed.

“Of course, I’m just an assistant…”

His creepy, cruel smile returned.

“But one day soon, I’ll be in charge…”

It wasn’t an encouraging thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This city was not a place for the faint of heart. It was a vile, corrupt, crowded, noisy, and overall bad place to live. But for more than eight million people spread across the five boroughs, it was home. Some of those people were buried under the bodies of those society had cast away in favor of raising the unjust as gods; some of them were the gods themselves, bolstered by Benjamins and swimming in the fetid swamp that was what they considered a scourge against their superiority. Then there were literal gods in this city, and that was a whole other issue.

But for the heroes stuck in between it all, a little peace could sometimes be found.

Cheryl Blaine found that peace in the current owner of Stark Industries, one Maria Stark. Cheryl called her Pepper in private, for that was her middle name but she preferred Maria; she accepted it in private, though. Private meant bed. Bed meant fun things. And fun things meant…

“Waaaahoohooooooo!”

If there was one thing she loved almost as much as Maria, it was web-slinging. Sadly, her spinnerets just happened to be in her mouth - which was kind of creepy but also kind of fitting. But a quick hand and a sharp eye were all that was needed for her to grab a string of web and fly through the skies, dodging those who thought she was a villain while proudly showing off for those who knew she wasn’t. She darted between the buildings now, swinging like a spider dangling from its web. Getting through New York City traffic was nothing when you had natural webbing, and she had plenty of that.

Didn’t mean she didn’t enjoy it, though. What was a commute without a little fun?

On the plus side, she didn’t spend all of her time planning her girlfriend’s parties. She only had them once a week (usually). She got paid forty hours’ worth, though, and she helped Maria out with other stuff as well. But for right now, she was just enjoying her morning swing.

I Play
R=Romance, TG=Transgender; first letter indicates my preference.
It is extremely rare that I will play a canon; my preference is for OCs.
Note that romance must be part of a story, not the story as a whole.

M/M, M/M/R, F/F, F/F/R, M/F, F/M
TGM/M, TGM/M/R, TGM/TGM, TGM/TGM/R, TGM/F

I Write
(G)=Genre, M=Mythology
HP, HP/AU, Modern Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Star Wars, Supernatural (G), X-Men, X-Men/AU
Egyptian/M, Greek/M, Chinese/M, Japanese/M, Norse/M

I am so tired of people telling me that tragedy is cliché and that I need to come up with a happy history for my characters. Tragedy is exactly what the word implies. However, what is born of tragedy can be beautiful; emotional; powerful; meaningful; and necessary for the development of a well-built character that’s deeper than a name, a face, a set of powers, and a utility belt. Tragedy in itself is not a story or a character; a story that includes tragedy, however, can be a character so epic that your ancestors rise from their graves to weep, to cheer, or to forever cry out to the heavens and curse those that would stand against xir.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:45 am 

Location: Second star to the right and strait on 'till morning!
Medals: 1
Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Akio quite enjoyed flying. He'd been on airplanes since before he could remember, usually flying out to see his father for a few days one weekend when he couldn't make it, or on some family vacation his mother insisted they take. It wasn't so bad for him any more, he was used to the long lines in security, the bumpy air flight, the being stuck in a metal tube with a few hundred people for way to many hours. He also flew first class, but that was besides the point, he didn't mind it at all. So even though the flight from LA to New York was pretty long by most people's standards, for Akio it was simply a few more hours to catch up on his homework and a bit of a nap. Unlike many of his fellow passengers, he got of the plane feeling just as energized and awake as when he woke up that morning.

Only a few hours after landing, Akio already had his bags in his room at a lesser known hotel (still a pretty nice one though) and was out to see the city. And what a city it was. He had only been walking around for a few minutes before he'd already seen his first hero sighting, Spider-Women swung past, nearly skimming the tops of some of the busses as she zoomed by. Akio rubbernecked shamelessly, he didn't even try to pretend not to be a tourist. The buildings, the people, the constant thrum of noise, it was all so familiar and yet so alien. LA had noise and buildings and people, but all of them had a different pulse, a different beat that they moved to. LA was relaxed and fluid, but New York seemed so... energized. It wasn't a mystery at all to Akio why there were so many more New York hero's, the city itself felt heroic in some way.

Given only half an hour, Akio already saw two other heroes (or villains, if certain news papers were to be believed) flying over head. Now he was glad that he had chosen to walk around as a civilian before taking to the rooftops, he was pretty sure he would have already gotten in some sort of fight or misunderstanding. With this many super humans in one place, the whole idea of what Akio was here looking for seemed more and more complicated by the second. Maybe he would sight see for a little longer, and even drop in on Stark Industries. His father was a significant business partner with Ms. Stark, and Akio was fairly sure he could swing some sort of tour. Hell, maybe he'd get lucky and meet Iron Women and get some help without even having to suit up...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:15 pm 

The Happy RP salesman

Location: This is not the location you are looking for. Move along!
Medals: 6
GM of the Month (1) Completed RP (1)
Dedicated Partner (1) 1st Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

While Christopher wasn't necessarily faint of heart, he had developed a rather poor habit of a type of selective split personality. He was usually not easily angered and didn't act on it, but that was just his way of keeping secrets. He may have a day job, but that didn't make him any less super. Then again, managing Ms. Stark's IT department was taxing on him, and his current situation wasn't helping. He was currently at his handicapped accessible desk answering a phone call about a fluctuation of energy in the Arc Reactor's basement level conduit.

"Yes sir, I will get there as soon as possible. No sir, I can't solve the problem without seeing the diagnostics. Please sir, look at this from my perspective. I... well if you are wanting to talk to someone more versed in tech, you could always bother Mr. Stark. No I don't mean Miss. Yes, Tony, what other director of S.H.I.E.L.D. is there?" He sighed in frustration. "No sir, I wasn't joking, now will you just wait two minutes while I access the employee elevator? The-there's no reason to use that kind of language sir, I can fix this with or without paying you for taking time to run the diagnostic. Which would you prefer?"

He hung up the phone and rolled himself over to the impressive elevator that stood in the center of Stark Tower, and wheeled himself inside. when the door shut he muttered, "Man I wish I could have gone Tarantula on his ass! What a jerk!" Taking a deep breath, he composed himself enough to keep his Hero side from showing itself for the maintenance guy from S.H.I.E.L.D. After all, he didn't want the founder of Stark Enterprises to find out who was actually running his daughter's I.T. department. Not to mention his home built supercomputer with all that S.H.I.E.L.D. intel would be destroyed if that happened.

Alexia Rose. That was what the firemen had decided to call her when she signed up claiming she didn't have a name. At first they made fun of her for her Amnesiac state since she couldn't remember what her own name was. That all changed instantly when she forgot about yet another thing. keeping her flame retardant skin a secret. She had run into a building that was about to collapse and covered a baby boy with her body as a way of keeping him from burning. in the process she had ripped her NYFD approved gear and still come out without any burns. while the other firefighters took it to just be a brave selfless act, her clueless expression tipped the chief officer off. The two of them were currently in his office, her fidgeting, and him staring her down.

"Miss Alexia-" He began.

"That's not my name, sir." She said respectfully.

"Well considering you can't remember your own name, I will henceforth refer to you as such. Now then, as I was saying ms. Alexia. How did you do it?"

"Do what, sir?" she asked the fire chief with a puzzled expression.

The chief sighed. Clearly he wasn't getting anywhere unless he quit beating around the bush. "You should have had third degree burns on you when you saved that kid. Care to explain?"

As if on instinct, Alexia stared into his eyes and commanded him. "You will keep this a secret. Just between us."

He looked dazed for a moment, then nodded. "You are free to go. Just don't brag about it." he said.

She nodded and exited his office, then the Fire Department, and started walking towards Stark Tower. Maria and Cheryl needed to know this. or maybe just Maria... She didn't usually succeed in manipulating people so straightforwardly. as she walked toward the famous structure, she hoped she wouldn't be told to find a counselor. In her opinion, she didn't need her mind more warped than it already was.

Shoulder Demon: (Looking at controls of train) "Let's see how many times we can wreck this thing before we're all dead."

Shoulder Angel: "Are you crazy?!?!?! you'll get us all killed!!!!!!"

Shoulder Demon: "That's the idea, Moron!"