All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:49 pm 

Medals: 6
Best Couple (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Supporter (3) Contest Winner (1)
Blog: View Blog (6)

It was in that moment, things began to get lively. A man running down he street stepped on the cub, Raymond was surprised that man kept both his legs and lived to run off into the rest of the city. With the man screaming like that, Raymond knew one thing was for sure. He wasn't going to survive the hour. The creature scurried out, into sight, it was at that moment Raymond confirmed, deathclaw cub. His gun aimed for it, nearly on instinct. He could probably make the shot, but he wasn't a sharpshooter, that wasn't for sure. The probably aspect was one thing on his own, he could miss, and it'd be a bullet wasted. But even if he was a sure-shot, he certainly wasn't using a quiet gun either. A bullet from this would echo a lot louder than most of the lasers in use. Then Raymond wouldn't be much more than the screaming man. Except Raymond had wits, as did whoever this ranger was.

It was then that a woman made herself visible to them. Raymond's head turned, as did the barrel of his revolver. She must have had wits too, because she didn't say a word. She only suggested that they remain quiet. Raymond considered their options. They could fight, Raymond wasn't the worst fighter, he'd do whatever he had to in order to survive. He couldn't speak for the woman, but for all he knew she could be an excellent fighter. The ranger though, in order to gain his "black armor" he had to be recognized for worthy feats. With that rifle, it didn't look like it would be tough to fracture a deathclaw skull. Still. In numbers, and with the mother, it still didn't seem hopeful. A deathclaw was faster and stronger than humans were, by generally a pretty long shot.

They could hide, but Raymond didn't entertain that thought much. Other deathclaws would be there soon, so would whatever other predators that heard that noise. And he didn't want to risk being sniffed out, or worse, heard. Their best option, in Raymond's mind, was to run, while they at least still had a chance. Raymond didn't want to head towards the commotion of the intense laser fire, or in the direction the man went running. There was the direction of the cub, but Raymond didn't want to risk his leg. That left one place to go, Raymond just whispered in a firm voice. "C'mon." He began going in that direction, he'd probably need the ranger to survive this. But he wasn't about to beg either one of them or shun either one of them. He just began running in that direction.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:30 pm 

Crossing my fingers to see some familiar faces here soon

Medals: 2
Best Couple (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Victor cursed softly under his breath at the man as he alerted the death claw. Even more so when the creature was aware of the fact that some other prey was near. As a girl came barrelling down beside them, he nodded quickly. Letting it be known that he was already trying to be hushed. Victor would have put the death calw in his sights had the man not run off in a direction telling him to follow. The Ranger looked down at the girl. "Well, what are you waiting for, you coming with us or what?" Victor then proceeded to go after Raymond. Gun at hand and his finger by the trigger. If he was not afraid of these innocents getting killed, he may have tried to go after the deathclaw cub with his anti material rifle. Only if he thought it was alone in any case though.

Winding up his revolvers rounds to see what was in it, he grunted in satisfaction before catching up with Raymond. "So, we going to take this thing down, or are we going to run?" he asked softly. Use to taking orders from somebody despite his lone wolf status and Ranger rank.

"Don't Lose That 'Little Spark of Madness' "-Personality Test Website.
And you thought I did not fit in here. =)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:15 am 

Longest RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (5)

KimRae leaped to her feet and gave into that herd instinct to run with the alpha. Her brain did not process which of these men was Alpha, both the Ranger and the other man were stand up guys who were not posing a threat to her at the moment. As she was pounding after them a wry voice in her head commented that they were not posing a threat to her and this was an extremely novel experience.The group ran until KimRae felt that her heart would burst. They ran into a section of the city that was more war torn that anywhere she had been before. Great craters and shells of buildings sculpted the landscape. The few low sections of buildings looked out on the pocked streets with empty windows like the vacant eyes of a blind man.

Leaning against the corner of a building, her back snugly against the bricks, KimRae braced her hands on her knees to gasp for breath. She glanced up to find both of her companions close by. Both of the men were whole. Something she didn't see often in the general population. They
were strong and fighting lean, although one a civilian and the other Ranger. Their eyes were not full of sly cunning but rather genial intelligence and purpose. They didn't seem as winded as she was and were boldly holding their weapons at ready. She nodded her head as she relaxed a minute. When she stood up, she smoothed her hair back toward her braid and said,

"I'm KimRae. Do you mind if I tag along with you guys?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:37 pm 

Raymond was glad to hear the Ranger's voice by him once again as the three of them were putting distance between them and where they were. "Just run, we don't know what's going to be drawn there." Raymond spoke, being as hushed as he could while still running. Through a few turns and more time running than Raymond preferred, they ended up in a part of the city that looked devastated. Raymond only took time to make observations after they'd stopped, he couldn't tell whether or not all of this had happened pre-war or within the last couple centuries. As Raymond took a moment to catch his breath, he made a mental note of the craters in particular. If they were made via nuclear means, they'd be death traps. If they weren't, they might make excellent hiding places.

Raymond looked to the ranger, then back to the woman who'd identified herself as KimRae. He looked her up and down, trying to get an observation. Any people she might have been with didn't seem to have followed, and she didn't look exactly armed to the teeth. Her clothes weren't in their prime, but she didn't seem like she was going to try anything. Not that it mattered, Raymond had a ranger on his side. "For now, yeah." Raymond said, looking out into the city again. He didn't have a clue where to begin, but he had a golden opportunity here. "I don't suppose you're native to this city? Or you've been here for a long while?" Raymond asked, ideas were brewing in his head. If he didn't have a lead to this key, he'd make a lead of his own.

"We should get somewhere less open. The last thing we need are Super Mutants or worse on us." Raymond stated, taking a peak at a building, in near ruins, only a single story. He pointed towards it. "Better than nothing, and I'm sure it's not inhabited. I have a proposal for the two of you."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:54 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Pure adrenaline coursed through Cyprus' veins. He had to make sure that he wasn't another victim of these monsters so he bolted and ran with Adrian and another knight in an easterly direction of the building. The sound of the gunshots dying out as they drew further away from that doomed building. "Where are we going?" Adrian asked, both frightened and angry. Cyprus did not reply and kept running, but the heavy power armor was taking a toll on his body and with every few steps he grew fatigued, feeling a wave a constraint and pain wash over him. A few feet later he stopped and dropped to one knee and felt his body become over encumbered with the amount of weight that was put on to it.

Adrian did not let this go unnoticed and soon began to pick up his superior with one arm, the other knight motioning to grab the other. Cyprus couldn't see Adrian's face through that helmet, but he knew him well enough to know that a look of shock and sadness draped his face; what was once anger and frustration turned into compassion and selflessness. Cyprus put his arms over the shoulders of his men and the hoisted him up and dragged him next to the shell of what was once a Corvega, propping him up against the side of the car. Adrian removed his helmet, revealing the face of a man who was in great pain.

"Sir, where does it hurt?" the other knight said.

"Leg..." Cyprus raised a weak finger and pointed clumsily to his left leg. Adrian immediately (although with great effort) tore off that part of armor that was protecting his left thigh and used his small knife to cut the fabric that was under, revealing a large purple area of swollen skin.

"Oh..."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:20 pm 

He nodded in approval of Raymonds decision "Good thinking." He praised the few years younger man. They rounded a corner, foot steps trained to be light made little sound... so Victor would not cause any trouble. Every time one of the others stepped on a piece of garbage or kicked a stone though, Victor would wince. They did do well though, Raymond and the girl, obviously having spent lots of time on the down low so to speak despite the few mistakes... honestly, only a person expert in the art of stealth would notice these things though, and when it came down to it. Victor supposed it was not that big of a deal.

Immediately as they rounded the corner, The Ranger Whipped his revolver to the corner itself in a slight turn around. Sights set and ready for if anything came around after them, and he listened just in case as well. Idly, he heard the girl mention her name which was KimRae, and a question if she could join them. The odd thing was that him and Raymond were not technically in a group, so where to go from there? he did not know.

"...I have a proposal for the two of you." He heard Raymond mention.

When Victor decided they were at least not in danger at the moment, he lowered his gun and turned his head to the others. "So, we go to this location that is presumably safe, then you offer a proposal?" He looked around for a minute as if trying to spot something specific, then turned back to the man who had healed him up. "I guess I am as ready as anyone or anything for some work." Victor nodded to KimRae "So KimRae, you want to hang around with a Ranger and another guy, both of whom you know nothing about. No offense, but Raymond here patched me up and I myself like to help a person in need, but you are neither in need of something and the such now that you are out of harms way, how can I trust you? and believe me, if I trust you. You have no need to worry about me one bit."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:40 pm 

KimRae’s jaw dropped. “How can I trust you?” the Ranger asks. She looked from him and the other man in disbelief. Shoving away from the wall, she put her hands on her hips, arms akimbo and glared at him.
“I don’t know.” She answered with a thrust of her chin. “I don’t carry around a resume or a pile of character references so you can have your mind eased of whether or not you can trust me. I don’t know you from a hole in the ground,” and she nodded toward one of the ominous craters, “but I was willing to bet, back there, that I could trust you.” Heat was rising in her cheeks and her eyes were blazing.
“How can you trust me?” she put steel in her voice to keep it from trembling. “Maybe because I didn’t go into hysterics back there and bring that monster’s attention to you. Maybe because I didn’t throw a knife at your back while we ran through the city. How the hell am I supposed to know what proof you want?”
A sane voice in the back of her head chided her for her romanticized version of Rangers. So gullible, it whispered. Maybe Rangers are not what you have imagined all this time. Her shoulders sagged and she wrapped her arms around herself.
“Let me stay or not, the choice is yours. I’m only interested in staying alive and minding my own business. I know the dangers of the city and maybe better the devil I know than the one I don’t”. KimRae looked pointedly at the Ranger.
She wanted to stay so badly her teeth ached. Being solitary in a world where allies were needed was a fool’s game. That nasty voice in her head whispered, Beg them. Plead with them. Cry. Act like a helpless girl. Big strong men might be honor bound to save you. KimRae jerked her chin up again.
“I will go in this building and scout it out to see if it is safe. Follow me in five minutes if you wish and if you don’t then go. I have made it by myself this far and will do what I must to survive.”
KimRae slipped into the building through the paneless window and was swallowed up by the darkness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:05 am 

Raymond stood there, letting the whole scenario unfold in front of him. He took in whatever he could perceive from what the two said. The ranger wanted some form of reason to trust her. It wasn't unreasonable, Raymond decided. You never knew if you could really trust outsiders in the wasteland. They could always stab you in the back and take what you had. And that was a lucky death in Raymond's opinion. Slave work or worse could be waiting for those attacked by the wrong people. On one hand, humanity had to stick together to make it through this wasteland. On a different hand, humans could be humanity's worst enemy if they used psychology correctly. It made Raymond pretty uneasy. He gather a lot more about this KimRae person. She was a loner, had found ways to survive without anyone else. Raymond wondered why that way, was there just no one in this city to survive with? She also knew a little on pre-war times, Raymond admired that. But there were two things Raymond noted that were important for the scenario. She could throw knives; kill things silently. And she knew the dangers of this city. She could be an asset.

Thankfully the conversation was spoken in pretty quiet tones, even if KimRae spoke much more than the ranger. She found a reason to walk away and scout though. "Kim!" Raymond called out in a hushed tone. "Be careful. We'll meet you in there." He said, turning his attention towards the ranger after she was gone. "You know, what you said wasn't so crazy. Anyone that hasn't had a gun pointed at them in fear that they couldn't be trusted? Well, they must be living in one nice corner of this hell hole." Raymond said, peeking his head around corners again. They'd made more noise than they'd wanted to, but with a lot of attention having been averted when they were in the more tall parts of the city, he was feeling pretty good about where they were. With some walls though, he'd feel better.

"Maybe she knew some real good people before." Raymond said, entertaining that idea. He didn't dare elaborate on why that was a "before" though. He knew the ranger knew as well as he did as to what happened in this world. "Anyway, I didn't catch your name." Raymond said, eyeing the building. It hadn't been five minutes yet, but Raymond figured it was a figure of speech. It had already been a couple of minutes, and Raymond wanted off the streets as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:48 am 

KimRae crept through the building, hugging the shadows along the wall. The smell of old decay wafted from an open doorway to the left where she paused to use her senses better. Opening her mouth to taste as well as smell and touch was well as sight to see, KimRae detected an empty room that must have been used as a lair for wild dogs once. The gamey dog scent was one that she remembered with a shudder. There weren't many dogs any more like there had been when she was younger. Probably a good thing since they had formed vicious packs which preyed on children. This room was clear.

Backing along the wall to the door, she eased back into the main room. No spots for hiding here, just a pile of rags in a far corner where some other survivor had slept but nothing else to suggest occupation. In the back of the room, what must be an exterior door was boarded up. She grimaced, Now that did a lot of good but then realized that the only light in the room was coming from the large broken window in front. The building would be fairly defendable as long as they didn't need to run. Suddenly her throat constricted. She liked to have an escape route. Swallowing back her fear, she picked her way quietly around the perimeter of the room, coming full circle back to the broken window where she could hear the men talking in low tones.

Weariness caught up with her as the adrenaline drained from her limbs. Slowly she slid down the wall to sit with her arms around her knees. She was a realistic and could be alone again but that didn't mean that she had to like it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:43 am 

Moving post and revamping it

Last edited by Marco on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:13 pm 

"Stimpak." Said Adrian to the knight, "I need a stimpak."

"I really wish I had one," replied the knight, shrugging his shoulders. Adrian grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him closer and said, "Listen to me, brother: This man is in pain and we need to find someone or something that can help him." It was during this time that Cyprus spoke up. "Adrian..."
Adrian looked back at Cyprus, his eyes wide and scared at this sight of his commanding officer in such a helpless state. "Sir, I-"

"Give me your gun, Adrian..."

"Sir, but I can't-"

"That is an order, knight." Cyprus spoke his words clearly and emotionless, almost as if he wasn't talking to his best friend. "I want you two to get back to base as quickly as you can. I'll stay here and keep watch, because as far as I am concerned, those things are still alive and they will stop at nothing to destroy all that the Brotherhood of Steel stands for. So, give me your gun and let me get to work."

Adrian hesitated for a few seconds, glancing at Cyprus and at the knight before taking his laser rifle and handed it to Cyprus. He also gave his what remained of his micro fusion cell ammunition, which Cyprus rested at his side.

Standing up, Adrian took his last few looks at the man before he and the knight ran off east towards the base, hoping to tell of Cyprus' sacrifice in the name of the Brotherhood.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:57 pm 

Blog: View Blog (2)

Aito's travels lead her to the abandoned building. Friends, followers, and foes were lost, leaving her with herself and her thoughts. Thoughts that could argue her sanity. The low supply of food and water that were left in her possession guided her through towards the deserted area ahead. Scanning the bulding, she began tapping her gun on her side, anxiously hoping to discover something like the scavenger people claimed she was. The counters, drawers and even the room near the back were empty leaving her with nothing in return. The outcome caused her to pace back and forth, wondering where to go next, or how to track down the ones who called her an "ally." Maybe it was the constant heat battering her skin, or the fact the group abandoned her caused the woman to be so irritable.

But the streak of avoiding humanity ended as footsteps approached the building. Aito's mind was now focused, with the adrenaline pumping through her vanes. The stranger's silhouette guided her into a different spot. When she finally found herself in the backroom. Her careless tactics in the past, helped her for the situation at hand. Hugging the walls, she found herself moving about, with silence. Whoever was searching this building began approaching her area. Her breathing slowed waiting for the unexpected to rise, until she noticed the stranger leave, but a subtle thud caused Aito to continue towards the Main room in the building. Suddenly, her hands started to shake, with her breath shortening. The crouched woman was seen in the distance and Aito's pistol was at Hand. Eyebrows arched and a grimace on her face, Aito stared down the woman ahead.

"You alone?" Aito said intently.

Last edited by Hobado on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:21 pm 

KimRae cursed herself when the voice came from the shadows in the back. Damn me, she thought, I knew there was something there or had been. I should have looked closer.
"Are you alone?" the voice whispered.

She looked up from her knees to see the weak light glinting from a gun. At the same time, she heard the men calling to her and making shift to come through the window. Taking a deep breath, she forced herself to look at the figure in the back and then she called louder than she normally would have,

"I mean no harm. This is your place. I will just leave." She held her arms out from her sides as she slowly rose from the dusty floor. Her voice rose a little louder and she hoped the men could hear her. "This building is clearly occupied. Sorry to have intruded." KimRae slowly eased toward the window. She knew that the moment she made a move through the opening that she would be a clear target for the shooter and so would either of her companions if they had not heard her warning.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:39 pm 

Victor held his gun tighter as KimRae said her piece in a rather negative way. She was too attached to something, too emotional and it may get her hurt one day, in more ways than just physical harm. "I was just trying to-" she left, and Victor could not help but shake his head as she slipped in through a window of a building not far away, scouting it out for them because apparently this is what she wanted to accomplish for him to trust her. "She's got more than a couple of losses in her life I imagine" he replied.

The Ranger listened to Raymond to the best of his abilities. "I realized she must be close to someone after that outburst as well, how close? I could not imagine, but just because she lost someone in her life does not mean she need's to be-" he took a small breath, memories of himself running away from his brother's lifeless corpse, and that of all the other NCR's from his outpost... He ran because a young teenager he refused to kill- had murdered them all. "-... she doesn't need to be- rash about things..." he said. Pretending he did not pause mid conversation, he just continued. "Anyway, it has been a few minutes, and she has not told us if it is safe or not. We should probably get in there and check up on her, just to be safe-" Moving up to the window, that was when he faintly heard some talking inside.

"This building is clearly occupied. Sorry to have intruded."

It was KimRae's voice and Victor sighed very silently, so he waved over to Raymond, silently telling him to come over to the window. It sounded as though KimRae was very close to the window so he himself moved closer. "KimRae, clear your throat once for a single person. Twice for more than one, and clear your throat three times for four or more individuals." He whispered this very softly, and he was hopeful that she could hear him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:14 pm 

kimRae heard the ssoft command and cleared her throat once. She waited a heart beat and coughed " armed". Her heart pounded in her ears and she held her breath. Waiting was nerve wracjing but she knew that sometimes life and death depended on patience.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:47 am 

Raymond followed Victor to his signal towards the window, hearing KimRae's warning, Raymond shook his head. He pointed to himself and then a section of wall that had just been torn down by whatever had gone down there. It was meant as a signal that he was going to enter while Victor would do whatever he was planning. While Victor may be able to pull off whatever stealth it took to assist from there, Raymond was far from a master of stealth. Remaining behind one spot, he could hide, but he was no help to anyone in that scenario. Entering from another entrance offered potential solutions though, ones Raymond wasn't sure of. But the unknown was better than a bullet to the back, he decided. Sitting outside in this city was just waiting for death.

Some ash and debris was spread about, but not much compared to other buildings Raymond had seen. With his revolver gripped in both hands, he was ready to fire if anything popped around the corner. While lives were precious, so was ammo. At least caps could buy ammo, but he didn't want to waste any more than absolutely necessary. He turned a corner, slowly, into the main room of this building, but not without fault.

Raymond didn't have light feet. When he got closer, his steps would be heard in the silence of the building. It wouldn't be the first time Raymond had failed to get the jump on people. He caught a glimpse of the unidentified person and raised his gun, though she probably spotted him first.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:30 pm 

Cyprus sat up next to the car, the rifle that Adrian gave him was held closely to his lower torso as he gazed out into the distance. A small fog was gathering around the downtown area, which lessened his field of view just enough so that he had to squint if he wanted to see what was coming towards him. He groaned in pain from time to time and massaged his leg constantly, he needed a stimpak and he needed one now.

He kept his eyes trained into the distance, making sure to shoot first at anything that came towards him. Damn this wasteland. He thought. Just then, in the mists, there was the silhouette of a humanoid figure coming towards him. As quick as he can be, he pointed the rifle at the figure, his finger hovering over the trigger. When it came closer towards him, he could then easily make out the distinct shape of a Super Mutant coming towards him, a huge sledgehammer hanging over its shoulder.

The thought of dying from one of these things was too much for Cyprus to bear, he remembered the other knight. Fortunately, the mist obscured the mutant's view, but for how long?

It didn't take long for Cyprus' finger to pull on the trigger, a deadly laser blast rushing from the barrel to the mutant's head. What Cyprus thought would be the end just made it angrier. It let out a loud growl and charged towards the source of the blast. The end... Cyprus thought. But would it really end like this?

Last edited by Chryslus on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:39 pm 

There was not very many options, Raymond had gone in through the other entrance. KimRae was by a window, at the mercy of who or what ever was inside. So if he could, Victor would try and drop down onto the person from above. Though in that standing he did not know how he could do such a thing, it was not as though there was a second story to the building he could climb up into. So he did the only thing he could, he moved to the front door and listened. Hand on the door handle in wait for anything that could occur, a loud noise- something.

He peered into another window that was by the door in a quick movement then took back to cover behind the door. The girls gun was pointed at KimRae, and at that single moment he also saw Raymond. As soon as the girl turned around or- if... she turned around, he would open the front door as quietly as he could. Then enter and try to apprehend the threat. He just hoped his skills in sneak were still up to peak from his service in the NCR Rangers. If not, then he supposed there could be some very serious injuries in the near future for any one of them, or all of everyone here even. Hand a little sweaty under his gloves, Victor regripped his revolver. These people do not deserve to die, if it comes down to me, and I do not have a chance to disarm the threat, I cannot hesitate in shooting to kill... or I will be haunted by my own thoughts even more. Victor only hoped that Raymond and KimRae could get this situation handled quickly. Silently, he pulled the hammer of his gun back, he was as ready as he would ever be.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:29 pm 

Blog: View Blog (2)

Aito glared at the woman ahead. The waste lands and the inhabitants on it have driven her mad making her rationality fade by the second. Her gun raises while the woman shows innocence. Sweat dripped down the once paled face, causing her to lick her dried lips out out of habit.

" I just asked a simple, question that has yet to be answered. All I ask was if you were alone..." Her anxious words were interrupted by the footsteps heard in the distance. Her eyebrows arched at the sight of the stranger.

The black gun in her hand shook, as she saw the man in her direction. Her breathing halted, heart sunk and her hands became tense. A squeeze of the triggered brought the bullet towards the suspected raider. Harshly, reality hit hurt causing every breath she took to be a struggle. Shock began to take effect when she witnessed what she'd done. All of her training, and experience in learning how to defend herself shot out the window, and running was now the only solution. She found her back hugging the walls with her hands finding what was so rare to find... Ammo. Indeed ammo was a luxury to have, and with her clip now emptied it was a luxury she no longer afford. A subtle cling came from the ground as she began to reload.

"Yah know... I don't like being lied to." Angst left her breath, while hurrying to reload the last of her bullets.

Her fingers struggled to reload. While the weapon sat in her thighs. With her back against the wall, she waited. Waited while mumbling cursed words to herself, and playing the sound of the gunfire in her head. Regret started roaming her mind, against her assumption, assumptions leads to death, and death wasn't something Aito planned.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:24 pm 

Gunfire in the small space had KimRae hugging the floor but this didn’t stop the ricochet from sending the bullet back her way. The bu- zing of the round sounded like a wasp in her ear as the bullet struck her in the side. She gasped and clutched her hand to somehow hold the pain inside, as if the pressure would erase the burning agony. In desperation she leaped up and hurled herself out the window, running down the pavement in a burst of adrenaline.

She was hurt badly, blood oozing from between her fingers but still she ran for that was what survival had taught her. Keep moving, don’t let them catch you, find shelter, find safety, Hide. All the tenants she had drilled into the children in her care came to chime through her head. Her breath was coming fast and shallow while dark spots floated across her vision. KimRae leaned against a building, blinking her eyes.

In her injured state she was a prime bit of real estate for any ghoul in the area. Where to go? She worried, her eyes darting around. Blood dripped around her boots, leaving sticky footprints but she didn’t notice, didn’t really care. No one would be following her. No one cared. She was alone and used to it. No one owed her anything. Finally, she spotted a low window that peeked just above the ground. Probably to a basement to what used to be one of the stately homes on this block.

Large trees, some mangled, some down to a leaf or two in the topmost branches lined the walkway to the house. KimRae fought through a tangle of vines to the little glassless window. She lay down to insert herself inside but hugged the earth feeling the dirt beneath her face. Tears welled up in her eyes as she rested but survival drove her on. If she lived or if she died, and KimRae knew that was more than a distinct possibility, she would do it like the wild animal she was. Alone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next