All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:30 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Her breath killed the frost-angels that were accumulating on the windowpane. It wasn't for sport or out of boredom, she needed to see out of it if there was anything worth killing heading her way. Working downward from Washington was hard now. But if She wanted food, it was the only way to get anything that wasn't from a vending machine or the nonperishables section of a grocery store. Once the pane was clear she began reloading her rifle. Someone's rifle. She was sure Acton had dropped it, but didn't remember picking it up. Shock would do that to you.

Her gloves had been hacked off at the base of her fingers. It made it easier to slid the shells into the -****- the place. Whatever they called those dark holes that you filled over and over. Peony had never been a real gun-hugger. After all, both her parents had been.. well. Wussies. Her mother was a preschool teacher, her father was a college professor. They weren't the gun type. Which meant when the disease hit, they were also the dead type. Luckily for her, she'd been bunking with a card-carrying member of NRA. He was dead now, or worse.

It was hard to beleive there were worse things then death now. But you had to accept the fate you were handed.

There was a slam behind her, and she fired as she turned, clipping the edge of a jukebox. Both her and the surprislingly alive person who'd been about to pump her full of shot leapt for the powerchord of the useless thing before they were converged on. There were quite a few things that clued these smart, deadly zombies in. Anything human, for one. Music, lights flickering where there should be no light.. she'd seen one feel a outside wall, feel the heater on inside, and slam itself repeatedly into the side of the building, smarter then it's brothers and sisters but unaided in it's quest to devour the family who had been trapped inside.

Peony hoped they had starved to death. It was the only hope she could afford to believe for them. Her hands closed on the chord and yanked it from the wall, leaving her at the mercy of whoever or whatever she'd met in the near-dark of this abandoned house she was hiding out in.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:41 am 

Medals: 4
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1) Supporter (1)

Another long day of surviving. The woods provided some protection but they had their hidden dangers as well. But for Cole, it was "so far so good" until the rations started to run low. That meant a trek into the closest neighborhood, ransacking houses for what little food they still had, and of course dodging the ever hungry undead. He slipped on his leather gloves and checked over his Taurus .40, reattaching the tactical light but leaving it off. Those things were like fish if they see anything shiny. Cole knew his way through these woods anyways, the trick was listening to those awkward, uneven, lumbering footsteps that would drag across the dirt and foliage.

After holstering the pistol, Cole walked around his makeshift tree house packing his backpack with all the necessaries. He even managed to fold up a small duffle-bag and shove that in there too. He did his best to not make too much noise walking around on those 2x4's but steel-toed boots aren't always made for stealth.

Everything was set and it was time to head out. Cole reached up and grabbed a large knotted rope tied to the thickest branch and let it fall to the floor. They were lacking in the coordination department but the last thing he needed was for the "Stenches" to figure out how to use a ladder. The way Cole had it figured, they would never figure out how to climb the rope since plenty of average humans couldn't even do it.

Cole grabbed hold of the rope and leaned off the edge of the platform. He pulled a flare gun from inside his leather motorcycle jacket and popped one off in the opposite direction of where he was going. A so far successful distraction method when he had to make a ration run. Without wasting anytime Cole began his quick descent. His boots hit the ground and paused a moment to listen. No groans, no moans, and no staggering footsteps; he was in the clear. Cole booked it straight for the edge of the woods. It wasn't a far trek but walking would have taken a half hour at least and he didn't like being out in the dark for too long.

The edge of the woods was approaching so Cole slowed his pace to a more tactical movement, crouching low and focusing his steps, which suddenly came to a halt. Cole listened closer...sure enough, the song of the undead. A body staggered across the lawn of a backyard at the edge of the woods. Its low groans were unmistakable. Cole approached slowly, reaching for one of the throwing knives he had picked up a while back that he had been diligently practicing with. Cole counted; eight paces away, perfect range. He took a deep breath and held it, raised his arm then let fly. A quick whirling sound followed by a solid thud. The Stench fell, a direct hit to the left temple. Cole surveyed the area once more. Seeing no others, he quickly jogged out and stood over the body. It was dead for sure...well "dead-er" than it already was. Cole slammed his heel onto it's head and yanked the knife out. Coagulated blood stuck to its edge so Cole wiped both sides on the Stenches arm, then shoved it into the ground, pulling it out nice and clean then slid it back with the others wrapped around his left leg. The dirt helped to keep his blades nice clean. The less the disease was around him, the better.

Cole stood and looked at the house the yard belonged to. By the looks of the place it looked abandoned a while ago. Cole stepped up on the deck and made his way to the back door. Locked. Not a big deal. Cole knelt down and pulled a lock pick out of his left leg pocket on his black cargo pants and got to work. In no time at all he had the door opened quickly and quietly.

Looking inside he couldn't see much. Seemed the room he was in was empty so he pulled out the gun and switched on the light. After aiming around the room for a bit Cole found a door and made his way over to it, turning the tactical light off in the process. He cracked it open and peered out into a short hallway that led to another open room it seemed. Cole slowly made his way down the hall pistol at the ready. He began to round the corner and saw a body standing near the other end looking out a window. Cole took careful aim when his foot accidently hit the back of a an old jukebox that was partially sticking out from around the next corner. The next second was a blur as Cole found himself diving to the floor ducking a rifle blast that skimmed the jukebox. The shooter just as quickly dove for the cord as Cole did and managed to yank it. Cole landed with his gun aimed at the shooters' head. They both laid there in silence for a brief moment. He listened to their breathing. It was steady, and most importantly, it was human.

"Stenches don't shoot rifles or dive for cords of jukeboxes with flesh wounds." Cole spoke with a slight Irish accent then slowly stood up with his weapon still aimed at the mysterious shooter. He reached his left hand out and flipped on the tactical light, revealing the shooter was female.

"Well Lass, I won't shoot if you won't shoot...again." Cole slowly lowered the weapon, then flipped the light back off.

"Didn't mean to barge into yer' fine establishment 'ere. Just lookin' food is all. I trust you be doing the same then aye?"

This is for everything you’ve ever loved
Use all the pain that you’ve felt in your life as the currency go out and trade it for blood
You are not you. You are now us
We are the only ones that you can trust
You’ll become fear. They’ll become dust
Before this moment you didn't mean much
You are the smoldering vessel of punishment born to do nothing but justify us"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:47 am 

Peony was still suspicious, but after a moment she lowered the gun. Her arms were still shaky from the scare, but she kept her eyes on the man in front of her instead of being so twitchy as to look for Groaners who'd heard the sound of the rifle going off. A tuft of brunette hair was drifting over her left eye as she watched him. She blew it out in a sigh, wondering what the protocol was for strangers now that there were so few humans left.

She decided it was 'take any help you can get'.

" It's not my establishment, I'm just squatting here, trying to find food. Your the first human I've run into in five hundred miles, so I'm soirry I tried to shoot you. Just.. skittish."

No ****. Peony looked like if she didn't turn around to look for the incoming threat soon that she'd just break down and be a little twitchy heap. Stress hadn't been kind to her, but at least she was keeping her face composed.

" I'm Peony."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:03 am 

Cole listened as the revealed shooter, Peony, explained her pressence in the abandoned house. Her voice was evidence enough that she'd traveled a long ways and had seen alot of this "situation" outside this area. Cole didn't move as much. He would find a place and perch for as long as resources would allow him to. He hadn't even had any plan for this other than just to survive. Realizing he had just lost himself in his thoughts, he quickly holstered his weapon.

"Name's Cole. Tis a pleasure Peony." He greeted with a small bow. It had been a long time since he had any real human interaction but as he was raised, you show respect to a lady, especially when she has the bigger gun.

"Five 'undred miles ya say? That's a hell of a trip, especially with things being the way they are. It's clear you've got all yer wits about ya. Oh and don't worry about our little mishap earlier. If it makes ya feel any better, I was gonna shoot ya too." He smirked a bit, hoping the small humor would settle the mood down a little. Cole then turned back to the jukebox and examined the damage.

"As it were though, we don't have much time. I doubt I have to explain we need to leave soon. It's not ideal when first meetin' a lady, but I've a tree house back in the woods. I've been there for months now so it's secure. You can come if ya like and we can get the groceries tomorrow during the day time. How bout it?"

Use all the pain that you’ve felt in your life as the currency go out and trade it for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:46 pm 

" Sounds like a pl-"

Their friendly repartee was interrupted when she abruptly slung the strap of the rifle down off of her shoulder, angled, and blew a face-sized hole off of an adventuring Groaner who had been peering in the window directly behind Cole. It seemed her hands could remain steady, but only when they had to. She reloaded the hot rifle quickly, a matter of reflex, and got to her feet.

" Let's get the f*ck out of here before our first meeting becomes our last one."

She knew they'd come running now that there was a second shot fired, so she took the best option available and started running up the stairs to the second story. It had a window that lead to a roof access, she'd seen it before entering. Even if the creeps got into the house she could make use of the roof to get out while they broke in, as long as they didn't spot her up there.

Well, them. Spot them. The plural gave her a ridiculous thrill of joy, and she thought (not for the first time) that being alone had been beginning to drive her insane.

Her footsteps were softer then a does on the steps, her grace either inherited or learned young. She expected Cole to follow her, or perhaps was just too used to going it alone to even remember to look behind her.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:36 pm 

Cole tilted his head and ducked away from Peony's shot. He slowly stood up straight and glanced behind him, looking down the window at the stench that just had an extreme facial. He glanced back over to Peony with wide eyes, listening to her explanation.

"Couldn't agree more lass, and I'm relieved to see you're a better shot when killin' them then ya are killing jukeboxes." Without any further hesitation Cole ran after her up the stairs. It would be the best vantage point to pick them off from the roof, and Cole could send another flare further away if he got on the roof, giving them ample time to get down and book it for his nest.

Once upstairs Cole stood by the window with Peony and glanced out. Sure enough, a group of stenches were having an undead march right for the house. Cole stood back and knelt down on the floor opening up his bag. He pulled out a flare and loaded his flare gun. After he stood and slung his bag across his body Cole opened the window and started to climb out.

"I'll look for a way down and secure the immediate area. You pick off what ya can when they get close enough. When it's time I'll hollar for ya and pop off one of these bastards" he waved the flare gun around briefly then stuck it back on his belt.

"They're suckers for light and shiny things. This will let us get down and start for the woods. Happy huntin' lass." Cole winked with a smirk, then made his way along the roof, checking the sides of the house for any others that might be lumbering around. The east side had two making their way for the backyard. Cole pulled out his gun, took careful aim, and blasted off two perfect shots. Both stenches fell hard with gaping holes in the top of their heads. Cole's aim was getting better every time, something he felt he could be proud of. After he rounded the rest of the parameter, he made his way to the back end of the roof, overlooking the backyard, porch and the dead stench he killed on his way in. Cole managed to notice the railing for the porch was high enough that one could lower themselves onto it from the roof carefully, then jump to the lawn with no injury. He checked the parameter once more then whistled for Peony.

"Alright, I'm poppin' one off! Head for the back o' the roof. You can climb down on the porch railing from there!" He aimed the flare out towards the road and let it fly. It sizzled in the air and filled the sky with a bright red color. It went far and long, traveling over at least three blocks in the neighborhood. That was almost more than enough for them to get away. Cole started for the spot of the roof that was right over the porch railing. He glanced over then tossed his bag onto the lawn, then knelt down then slowly started lowering himself over the edge. Finally his toe found the railing and he lowered himself further. Once his foot was on the rail solid, Cole let out a brief sigh of relief. He turned to the side and jumped off the railing onto the lawn.

Just as Cole landed the window next to him shattered and a stench came flying out tackling him to the ground. Cole was barely able to grab onto her wrists and prop his knee against her chest, keeping her fingernails and teeth away from him. It gnarled and snorted and even growled at Cole, fighting to chomp down on his face. Finally Cole saw his chance for leverage and took it.

"Sorry dear, I don't kiss on the first date!" Cole grunted as he lifted his leg and flipped her over his head. He rolled to the side, stood up on his knee and launched a throwing knife straight into her eye and then she dropped. Cole stood than retrieved his blade, wiping it on her dirty blouse. After grabbing his bag, Cole glanced back up at the roof.

"All clear down 'ere! Ready when you are."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:48 pm 

Instead of lowering herself down the way he had, she took a few steps back, ran, and did a weird sort of swandive right over the edge. She caught the porch-rail as if by magic and used it to flip her body. Her feet hit the ground and she rubbed the palms of her hands together, wincing a bit. It had been a while since she'd done any gymnastics. Cardio was her specialty now.

"I bet you can figure out what I minored in now, huh?"

She grinned before hoisting her gun back into her hand, using the strap to pull it up into the right position.

" Do you have a vehicle or do you travel on foot?"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:22 am 

Cole looked on, impressed with Peony's flashy athleticism, then smirked at her comment.

"I didn't know they had Ninja training in college?" he joked. Then he looked on into the woods and a more serious expression took over his face.

"Nah, no wheels lass. It's best to go by foot anyways, vehicles make too much noise when yer' only goin so far. We'll head straight through that path. It'll be about a twenty to thirty minute walk, depending on how cautious we are. Some stenches tend to wander about these woods, but not too many. That's why I've stayed there so long. Right then...follow me." Cole made his way to the edge of woods, stopped, looked, and listened. After a few more moments he motioned for Peony, holding a finger up to his lips to tell her to try and keep quiet all the way through.

Eventually they made it back to his tree. Cole reached over and pulled on his knotted rope and pointed upwards. The actual 2x4's he had used to build the platform was indeed large, connecting to at least 5 different large trees.

"The climb is usually the biggest pain since everything is so high. But it's well worth it. Plenty of room up there for a small group of people, so climb on up, pick a spot, and make yourself comfortable" Cole stood at the bottom of the rope, scanning the area. He glanced up to see Peony just pulling herself onto the platform and started his ascent. Once on top he pulled up the rope then placed it onto a the large tree branch it usually rested on. Cole pointed to one of the larger tree trunks that the platform was connected to.

"Right on the other side is an extra sleeping bag and blankets. I use those in the winter so I won't be needing them now. Tomorrow when we go hunt for food we can get some more stuff like that and yer more than welcome to stay as long as ya like."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:41 pm 

She was surprised he had managed to get this built without any of them hearing it, but was grateful for the shelter. If it rained they were ****ing of course, but whatever. The open air made for easier escaping, so it was fine by her. Peony flexed her hands to get the tingly-painful feeling of the climb out of them. Peering over the edge to see the expanse of woods below them, she turned to look at Cole.

" This reminds me of a deer platform I saw once, only a zillion times bigger. Did you have to drag up the boards one by one?"

They were avoiding the true topic, which was Survivor Stats. The basic information that you hated to talk about but always seemed pertinent. Where they hailed from, how they survived the initial outbreak, how far they travelled, if they were going anywhere set..

Peony hated talking about those things because it made her feel hopeless. She hoped Cole could understand.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:37 am 

Cole let out a small chuckle and nodded his head as he began prepping a section for Peony to get comfortable in.

"Indeed lass. After a while I got tired of runnin' and figured I'd take a break and set up a little vacation home up in the trees 'ere." Cole sat down with his arm over his knee, pointing at all the trees around them.

"At first I wasn't sure how I was goin' to pull it off. But I managed to climb this big bastard 'ere and set up some pulley's. After a few weeks I gathered enough wood and started hoisting everything up here." He turned and reached into a small wooden box that was off to the side and pulled out two twinkies, tossing one to Peony.

"I know what yer thinkin'. How did I keep them away right?" Cole grined and took a decent bite off of the twinkie.

"Radios. I found little boom-boxes from around the neighborhoods and batteries I had stashed away for flashlights n' such. I set them up a good mile all around the parameter. Let them all play until the batteries died. During that time I worked my arse off. Hammerin', drillin' n' screwing away." Cole finished off the twinkie then stood up and began setting up his sleeping bag. He laid his head down on his hands and looked up at the sky. Cole felt it hanging in the air. The typical banter of "so what did you do before...you know..." and he knew Peony was holding that back as well. For the time being, they both knew this wasn't the time yet for those depressing discussions.

"Doesn't look like rain tonight. That should help keep our spirits lively eh? Little victories lass....little victories"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:24 am 

" Yeah. Maybe we can get a roof on this baby, if we find more radios. Or get a couple of tarpaulines."

She wasn't sounding very ambitious though. Instead she looked weary to the bone, and she was too thin to be healthy, worry and lack of food and stress had taken it's toll. After a minute she sighed.

" God, I feel like death warmed over. There was no safe place to sleep the last two nights, so I've been up for a while. Mind if I kip?"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:25 am 

"Nah lass, you go right ahead. No doubt we've got ourselves a big day tomorrow, what with our grocery shoppin' n' all." Cole turned over to his ride side and closed his eyes. The safety was in the height of his little dwelling and that was probably one of the only things that kept him sane, knowing that as long as he didn't get clumsy and fall off, they would never get to him and he could actually get a good nights sleep most of the time.

-- ---------

Warmth of a sunbeam piercing through the treetop canopy onto Cole's face was a pleasent enough wake up. Although he was sleeping on hard wood with nothing but a sleeping bag, it was still a decent night sleep, probably one of the best he could remember since the world went to hell. He glanced over to see Peony still rolled over facing the opposite direction and thought to himself that perhaps it was just from having someone else around for once. It was an odd sense of security knowing there was someone else sleeping near you, and that was something Cole had missed for the longest time. He couldn't help but wonder if Peony would feel the same way but he wasn't about to risk waking her up in case she was actually sleeping soundly. Nowadays though it was hard for anyone to truly sleep soundly. No matter how safe and secure you thought you were, you always had to sleep with your senses on high alert.

Cole took a deep breadth then got out of his bag. After rolling it up quietly he glanced over the edges to see if there were any stenches wandering around nearby; so far nothing. After rummaging through his bag for a few moments Cole finally pulled out a large map of the surrounding area. It was dirty and wrinkled but still very legible, even with all his markings of "points of interest" as they were labeled. He browsed over the map looking for the closest food source spots and took a mental note of two family owned grocery stores and a bowling alley. Further away was a few fast food places and an Olive Garden, something Cole had not had since he was only 6. After a few more minutes of planning out his routes, Cole put the map back into his bag and leaned up against the large tree trunk that was the center of his treehouse. Only minutes passed before Cole felt it was time to see if Peony was awake yet.

"No rush lass, but I've got a few different places for food in mind that are relatively close. Thought i'd ask for yer' take on them, in case you've already been, ya know?"