All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:38 pm 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

The most esteemed and powerful House of Calamander has been the ruling family of the Kingdom of Amberfell for near two millenia. Unlike many hereditary monarchies, which passes rulership to the firstborn child, this royal family hands authority to the heir that the current monarch most feels is worthy. The official decree of succession is typically issued by the time the children have come of age, though it is subject to amendment at any time until the monarch dies or officially abdicates.

You will be playing heirs to the throne of Amberfell, in their tween-to-teen years, engaged in training and tribulations to determine which of them will inherit the crown.

Character Creation
You have two jobs here. The first will be to create the heir that you will be playing. The second will be to create a royal ancestor that serves as your heir's role model and inspiration.

Your characters must be between the ages of 11 and 17. King Rowan has multiple wives, so they need not share the same mother.
Amberfell is a forest kingdom, and all children are taught basic woodcraft skills, though whether they have any talent for it is up to you.

There are otherwise no stipulations, anything that would otherwise be found in a fantasy setting would be acceptable. There is magic aplenty, and there is some limited advanced technology

Setting
As mentioned, Amberfell is a heavily forested kingdom. Lumber, fruit, and other woodland resources are its primary exports, though it also controls rocky foothills to the north which hold considerable mineral wealth. It is also something of a hub for culture and academia. It holds authority over several adjacent protectorate kingdoms.

The current royal bloodline has remained unbroken for almost two thousand years, though the recorded lineage predates what is now formally the Kingdom of Amberfell and there have been intermittent periods when the kingdom was ruled by an outsider or member of a branch family.

Non-inheriting scions are discouraged from having children. If they choose to have a family, they must forsake their royal privilege and become commoners. This is to prevent wars of succession.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:10 am 

Straitjacket Hero

Medals: 1
Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

(If I was not meant to post my character in this thread at this time, alert me and I will move/alter it appropriately!)

Name:
Eshe of Calamander

Sex:
Male

Appearance:
Taking after his mother, Eshe has bright hair that curls about his head and deep green eyes. He is several inches shorter than most other boys his age, and his frame is light and graceful. Freckles dot his skin from an abundance of time spent in the sun. Due to his small stature and graceful motion, it is not uncommon to lose sight of Eshe altogether until he wants to be seen. In court he can blend in, out in the woods he entirely disappears until he wants to be found.

Eshe usually dresses in greens or reds, depending on the color of the leaves in Amberfell. His attire, while certainly finery, is tailored to give him a full range of motion - the better to run, to climb, and to move silently. Eshe carries very little with him, no obvious weapons or signs of his heritage.

Personality:
To speak with Eshe, most would feel the impression of a fey child, for there is (even if only in the imagination) an understanding of such beings. Lighthearted, graceful, deeply tied into the forest and its well-being, these things mark Eshe as strongly as the freckles on his skin. He feels most joy out in the woods, otherwise spending free moments climbing all over the castle - often exiting his room through the window and climbing several floors upward along the outer stones. If not climbing, and lucky enough to get out of his studies, Eshe is either cooking with the kitchen staff or else hiding in plain sight, always thrilled by just how close he can come to others and how long he can lay beside them without ever being noticed.

Along with the typical fey interests of forestry, stealth and cooking, Eshe has the typical flaws of such creatures (real or imagined). He finds his studies dry and boring, tends to alienate those of somber dispositions, and is prone to following his heart blindly, particularly where romance is concerned. In fact, this romantic nature is the only reason Eshe has any interest in ascending the throne. He doesn't know what he would do with power, but he wants to give the person or persons he loves all of the luxuries only a king can afford.

Ancestry:
Born of a golden-haired mother with little love to offer, Eshe feels himself symbolically descendant from the ancient hero Kalam, beloved of Amberfell. Eshe usually sleeps through history lectures, but something about Kalam really caught his heart. The man won the throne not through great military might, nor did he deal in darkness and survive a series of fatal 'accidents' that paved his way to royalty. While his siblings frantically scrambled for approval, Kalam instead pursued love. The love of his parents, of the highest advisers in the court, and of the common people. For these loves Kalam made costly sacrifices for some, told lies to others, took to bed anyone who could so be won and outmaneuvered anyone who would not be bought.

Eshe is not interested in feats of heroism. He dislikes violence (at least where it can be avoided), and finds the idea of actually being king incredibly dull. Even so, think how he could dote on those he admired from such a position! In the name of love all is justified. So he will play, and laugh, and love - and rule.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:23 pm 

Life's not all the great right now, sorry.

Blog: View Blog (1)

I will get my bio up probably sometime tonight

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:19 am 

Life's not all the great right now, sorry.

Blog: View Blog (1)

Sorry I never got around to it, but I now have an idea for my character if this is still going on

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:01 pm 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

Yeah, I've been slow on this one too but would still like to do it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:51 am 

A little Fire Emblem obsessed

Hey, I'm just wondering if this is still going on? I've just been a little hesitant to post my character and it just seemed like this one kinda died..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:54 pm 

Is this still going? I'm new and haven't found anything interesting that isn't dead.
I'd play Ophell'n Naeir (Oh-fell-in Nay-eer)(keeping his mother's maiden name)
Male
Age 17
Ophell'n has shaggy dirty blonde hair and wear ragged clothes of intermittent loose cloth and tight leathers. He would have a beautiful face had it been untouched. Instead plenty scars make apparent the harsh life he chose.
Ophell'n is a compassionate and driven person. Putting others in front of himself no matter how damaging. His temper often gets the better of him, though never without cause or effort to control it. His royal mannerisms have obviously been forgotten and he makes no effort to remember them. He is stubborn in his ways, but not unable to be reasoned with.
Ophell'n's mother was married into the royal line only to mask his would be bastard birth. His mother was treated poorly and with contempt by the king and her sister wives. Ophell'n resented the royal line because of this. But his mother saw opportunity to make the kingdom better. She made some underhand decisions that provided for the people while not necessarily being great for the high class. Funneling royal coin into small businesses. Using her position to make promises on behalf of the royal class, and seeing that the taxes of the struggling weren't collected. Ophell'n admired her. One day she began acting skitish. She stopped getting sleep. Seemed untrusting of others and often locked herself away in her quarters. Ophell'n wondered if she had been found out, or discovered some dark secret of the palace. Whatever the case he he wouldn't get the chance to ask. She woke him up late in the night and the two of them fled. She had hired someone to take them to a distant kingdom. In the middle of their travel the cart flew off track crashing into the river running parallel to the trade route. A rock struck Ophell'n's head and when he awoke the current had taken him far down. He had no idea where he stood. After spending what felt like hours searching for his mother he found only one of the carriage drivers. Dead. He wanted to keep looking, but he could he wouldn't be safe here for long. He had to survive. He began to walk back upstream finding no familiarity, until a figure suddenly stood in front of him. A monk. The monk looked at the young, wet and shivering boy and took him back to their monastery. Ophell'n was only 8 at the time, but he was smart enough to know he couldn't go back. Not yet. The monks trained him in their ways of martial arts and the manipulation of life energies. Though he may not have yet mastered his training, he has heard word of that a new heir earn his place. This is an opportunity not too be missed. The people still remember him, surely he'll find footing to take his stand and find what came of his mother or what she died for.
-(yes very iron fist inspired, I know. I've just started watching the series so it's stuck on me)