All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Set Sails! // OOC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:43 am 

lurking

Blog: View Blog (0)

Ahoy! Let’s dive right into the basic lore.

It’s mid 1700s and four crews sailing dominate the seas. Smaller crews fear the four Kings and Queens of the waters. Maxmillion Tempest the strong, Ina Gyatso the mysterious, Alison Beckham and her crew wiped from the face of the globe, and the mad Bradley Quark. Unrest is brewing in coastal European countries and King Jamison of England wants the pirate ships to sink for good.

+++

The majority of the roleplay won’t be entirely history accurate. Some technology is more advanced in a vaguely steampunk kind of way but only by the few who study sciences or are inventors. Technology isn’t widely introduced to the public. Just a heads up. I want to keep things flexible so if you have any questions about this PM me or ask here.

+++

The Four Captains:

Bradley Quark of the Amethyst:
He was born in Egypt as a beggar boy and managed an apprenticeship with a smith and inventor. He tinkered with everything he could get his hands on. He gets his claim to fame from using likely dangerous chemicals to create very interesting explosives and ammunition. He has many side effects as well from these chemicals like his terrible memory and borderline insanity. There’s a method to this madness however and he got a great following before travelling to the coasts and setting sails with a steadily growing and loyal crew.

Maxmillion Tempest of the Bounty Foss:
Ol’ Max is a hardy Swedish giant of a man who started off in a prestigious noble family. He learned to sword fight at a young age and loved to wrestle with his older brothers and equally rowdy sisters. Big runs in the family. Soon he grew to have a sense of curiosity about the world. He was too young to inherit any significant titles of large sums of money. After a particularly large argument with his parents he impulsively stowed away on a Nordic pirate ship that was pillaging a nearby village. He appealed to the ancient captain of the ship and worked hard and long before being appointed the captain himself after the old captain died. He commands the largest ship of the seven seas.

Alison Beckham of the Aurora Cap
Alison is a spunky English girl who was born and raised with the ocean and mind of an explorer. She was born of an island pirate port where crews go to recruit crew members and drink. She grew up learning to sail and hold her own. Being around so many pirate folk started her a following and after seeing the skills she had learned and light in her eye starting a crew was no difficulty. Her crew might not be the biggest or strongest but if they infiltrate your ship you better hope they’re taking captives or pray there’s no sharks in the water below. Her ship has been unseen for years.

Ina Gyatso of the Badatel
Ina grew up the daughter of a merchant in southern India. Her father was often ridiculed for his “magical” wares of pendants and medicinal herbs so Ina would have to stand up for hr father and herself. On the streets she learned to fight but one day those who messed with her father took it too far and he was killed in an on record “accident.” Wanting to leave her city and country she joined a pirate crew and learned all she could until she could recruit her own crew. After many years they have become known for knowing nearly every inch of the explored sea and can navigate any waters.

+++

The plot I was going for here was that we’re all part of Maxmillion’s crew when Bradley Quark attacks our ship by surprise. Max goes down with the ship and survivors are taken captive and held under trial to see if they’re worthy of joining his crew. You have a few options with your character. The roleplay could start your character a part of Maxmillion’s crew. We could start the roleplay at a pirate haven and recruit you there or we could start with pillaging a small city and you being a stowaway. Or if you’d be up to wait a few posts you could be a member of Bradley’s crew. We can discuss relationships, plots, etc here.

+++

Character Spread:

Name:
Age: (please be 16+, 16 being the very very very minimum)

Skills: (no one can be a pirate without some set of skills, keep it reasonable)
Appearance: (use a picture if you want)
Personality: (short, don’t elaborate excessively, show us in your posts)
Backstory: (can be very brief, anything you feel we need to know in order to understand your character)

Crew:
Any extra information:

+++

Guidelines and Roleplay Information

-Your character should be human; no special powers, etc.
-Original characters only
-If you think of information about your character that you didn’t originally put in your spread feel free to add it and let us know here what you changed
-I want to try and have as frequent posting as possible. Once a week or more even would be ideal but I’m very flexible. I don’t want quality of posts to suffer. Mostly I won’t have an issue unless you don’t communicate with me. If you’re having a busy week it’s fine just let me know.

+++

The Roleplayers

Kinetic as… Melanie Bello
@Shades as... Elizabeth Logan
@AhZombies as... Eleanor Attwood
@ToroRojo as... Ross Farsight
@Marco as… Scarlet Brower

+++

Below is my character:

Name: Melanie Bello

Skills: Melanie has spent her time before and during being a pirate studying the stars and learning to navigate the seas and is very well known for it. She didn’t start as a fighter but she grew up having to be scrappy and can hold her own, and she’s smart enough to be able to usually get an upperhand in fight.

Appearance: Melanie has tawny brown skin and rich brown hair with copper undertones. Her hair sits about an inch below her chin in loose curls. Her eyes are a deep brownish gold. She is 5’9 and about 140lbs. She wears a loose white blouse with quarter sleeves, high waisted black pants, and black books that go up to the middle of her calf. She often ties a cloth or bandana around her head to keep her shorter hair out of her face. On her belt she keeps a compass, star map, and knife that is about the length of her forearm.

Personality: Melanie is a very curious and passionate person. She will put in hard work to achieve what she wants and is able to keep a level head in pressuring situations. However she isn’t good at taking input or ideas from other people and will often only use her own logic to make decisions unless it’s from a person she knows she can trust.

Backstory: Melanie grew up in a coastal city in Spain. Her father was a fisherman and was often away from the house for days at a time. Her mother cared for her younger siblings. Suspicious activity in her city lead to many attacks and robberies where her mother was killed defending her children. Melanie was old enough to take care of herself but was in no way ready to care for her three siblings. Her siblings were sent to their grandparents and Melanie decided to travel on her own and explore more than just her city. Ever curious about the oceans from her father she ended up looking for a crew to travel with. She learned to fight properly with her first crew before being taken captive by Maxmillion’s ship. She lost her right arm in the fight but Maxmillion decided to keep her alive because of her knowledge of navigation. She’s been loyal to him for years since.

Crew: Maxmillion Tempest

+++

Posting Order

Kinetic -> AhZombies -> Marco -> Shades -> ToroRojo

Last edited by Kinetic on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Set Sails! // OOC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:05 pm 

Crossing my fingers to see some familiar faces here soon

Medals: 2
Best Couple (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Do u plan on us going through a specific plot after we start. Or shall we do more of a "All of us contribute and just have fun, letting our writing take us where ever it wants" type of rp.

"Don't Lose That 'Little Spark of Madness' "-Personality Test Website.
And you thought I did not fit in here. =)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:08 pm 

lurking

I think we can be okay with a loose plot for now and once we get past the introduction posts and past some of the initial happenings we can pass around ideas and come up with a flexible plot. It doesn't even have to be a plot it can be a goal for our characters or just a point we want to get to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:47 am 

Medals: 1
1st Year (1)

Going to create my character sheet today! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:28 am 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Name: Elizabeth Logan

Skills: White weapon combat, cooking, vast knowledge in herbs for medicinal use
Appearance:
| +

Personality: Elizabeth is kept to herself, in general, but she will basically mirror people's treatment. If treated with kindness, she will give it in return. If treated poorly, she will react badly, and, probably, bear a life long grudge unless something causes her to forgive the person. She is like that because she is afraid getting too attached to anyone will lead to heartache when she inevitably loses this person, so she tries to keep everyone from getting close enough for her to miss them when they go.
Backstory: Elizabeth is the daughter of a prostitute and an unknown father. Since her mother and her didn't have anyone to take care of them, the girl used to stay wherever her mother was living - boarding house or brothel - and hide when she brought men in, as her mother didn't want anyone to see her and want to take the little girl instead of her. Up until she was 10, Elizabeth lived like that. When she was around that age, her mother fell ill with something she had gotten from one of the men she spent time with. Elizabeth couldn't bring herself to selling her body, so she did all kinds of odd jobs to bring in some food, mostly for her mother. Most of the time, the girl would lie and say she had eaten so her mother would not feel guilty. Despite the best care she could provide, the girl lost her mother at 11. Not knowing what to do, she spent time on the streets, begging or stealing to keep herself alive, until she managed to make her way into a ship, pretending to be a boy. When it became obvious she was a girl, she was tossed out of the ship on the first port. The girl still passed through a few ships, learning all she knows today, before settling into the current one, where she was accepted with the knowledge that she is a woman.

Any extra information: Due to having lost her mother to illness, Elizabeth is very devoted to helping those who are sick or injured, and will stay on the bedside of any crew member who falls ill until they get better, regardless of whatever else she should be doing.

Let me know if any changes are required!

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:46 am 

lurking

Looks great! I can't wait to see her in action. Also I can't wait to see everyone else's character as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:04 am 

Sort of back.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with as well!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:02 am 

1st Year (1)

Name: Eleanor Attwood

Skills: Skilled with a Cutlass, can make poisons from plants, very agile.
Appearance: (Picture above)
Personality: Eleanor is very rowdy and boisterous. She enjoys adventure and fighting. She's the first to volunteer for any challenges that might be thrown at the crew. She's lacking of manners and diplomacy.
Backstory: Eleanor was born in England to Lord and Lady Attwood. At the age of 10 she was kidnapped by pirates and worked as a cabin boy. (Or, in her case, girl.) Her enthusiasm lead to her being trained on how to fight with a cutlass. She was often used for stealth missions, when her captain wanted to poison enemies. When she was 16, she joined Maxmillion Tempest's ship after he commandeered the ship she was originally working on.

Any extra information: -

(Let me know if I need to change anything.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:11 am 

lurking

Looking great! We're gonna have a very female cast it seems. I think it'll definitely be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:16 am 

Sort of back.

Let's hope they don't have PMS! lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:18 am 

1st Year (1)

I'm happy to bring in a male character if we're lacking :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:41 am 

lurking

If you would want to I wouldn't be against it but I have no issue with many female characters.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:11 pm 

Very female indeed XD (sorry, would've made a guy, but i have missed two chances to use Scarlet already, i wont miss another) =)

Last edited by Marco on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:14 pm 

Name: Scarlet Brower

Skills: Had experience as captain of a ship. Is exceptional with a cutlass and pistol. Knows her way around trapping animals.
Appearance:
Attachment:
scarlet.jpg
scarlet.jpg [ 71.7 KiB | Viewed 13795 times ]

Personality: Appears to look death in the face like she was the Reaper herself, Scarlet does not know how she feels during violent situations and it shows. She is always preferring to spit in the face of her enemy and shoot them with her pistol or cut them down, either one will do in her mind. She finds it hard to look in the face of children during any situation and often during these moments she is most vulnerable emotionally. She is wary of letting her guard down and is bad with personal matters.
(short, don’t elaborate excessively, show us in your posts)
Backstory: Short version, she lost her whole family at a young age, and does not know where her own child is.
Long version:
Born to a duke and his wife and raised by them. She found herself stuck with the life of a Dukes daughter, and the life of being married to whomever was needed to be wed by her. Scarlet lived her toddler life in complete darkness about the rest of the world. Kept safe by her fathers warnings not to ask about anything involving the seas till she was older. By age eight, Scarlet was too drawn to the open waters, and she got up one night at the chimes of the towns bells. She did not know at the time that they were chiming because of an attack. This attack was risen from the seas by pirates.

She heard the door creak then bash open downstairs from where she was on the second floor of there mansion, and she hid in her fathers office under the desk. As the duke entered looking for his beloved daughter, his wife in close quarters behind him. A mass of pirates swarmed into the room. If it was not such a serious dilemma, she would have described them as stinky and smelly fishermen. That was until two of them drew there weapons and fired, ripping out there cutlasses soon after and charging. She stayed there for a few hours after. Just looking at her mother and father sprawled on the ground before she got from under the desk and studied them(She did not have any brothers or sisters). Tears soon erupted as she tried to wake them up, but couldn't. More noise from the end of the hall way, and she ran out of the room and down the stairs. Men protested to her running and she did not realize who they were at the time. Ironically, they were the navy from which her father stationed here, and his personal riflemen.
-
About three years she lived on the streets, three years she came to terms with what happened in her own house and town port. Three years she scavenged for food and no one looked her in the eye not knowing she was anyone but a homeless girl. Not knowing she was there dead dukes daughter. It was in these three years after, that she was captured at the age of eleven by another band of raiding pirates that quickly stole whatever they could from the now hard living town out of desperation. Then she spent even more time serving as a black powder runner for the cannons, also known as a powder monkey. Life was even harder due to the constant threat to her life during cannon fire and battles.
By the age of sixteen, she was too old and had survived too long to be a powder monkey, so they allowed her to be a crew member. Serving under the captain for as long as she could until death, and so she did. Serving many battles under his blood thirsty sword and banner. At the time, she had realized in her five years as a powder monkey that she was helping him murder people that were innocent. So she fell out of caring for it all, just doing her best to survive this new world. Regretting ever bothering her father with talk of the open seas and the want to know more.
=
There had been many check points and towns Scarlet had been at that pirates had been welcomed too, and it was when she was nineteen that she had been taken to the worst one. Scarlet and the rest of the crew had docked at an unmarked town. One that was remarkably pirate friendly, one where they spend there time drinking and being with women.
Being a women there in the crew, she found it disgusting. Though in a way settling that none of the crew had thought of her the way they thought of the ordinary women in the pirate town. To her knowledge anyway, and as all tales go so far, the women falls for a man, or a man with a women. So said it happened with Scarlet regretfully as well for the time they set there, and so as it happened when they set sail. She left with a child not born.
-
Soon she became the ships first mate and second in command to the captain. As even more time passed, it became apparent what had happened to her, and so the thoughts sprouted of it being bad luck to have a girl in the crew of the ship. Though they could not change what had happened and nor could she. Unfortunately, they were too far in waters by the time the child had aged in months, and so she gave birth to her baby just coming into some docks of a town she did not know of. It was here that the captain decided she was too important to let go of, and it was here that he got rid of her baby, yet not daring to harm it. Instead giving it away to a family. Trying his best to not be the killer he was. She was coming to from a deep sleep when she realized her child was gone, and so was the velvet red blanket she used for the child. The name of her baby embroidered into it as she got prepared for what was to happen. Safe to say, she was in a rage of what the captain did, especially since he would not tell her if her baby was alive or dead. She had tried to get away and figure out where the house was that the captain had left her child at, or if her baby was alive. Though she was so far from the shore that she could not see it on the horizon, or know which direction it was in.
-
Her plotting went on for about three months. To which no one wanted part in her mutiny. Alone, she sneaked into the captains quarters, Waking him up at sword point and challenging him. It did not take much, the captain was getting older, and she was young. Unfortunately, despite her win not even the crew knew where the town the captain left her child at was, and so the captain would not tell her still whether the baby was alive or not. She did not offer the captain mercy.

About a month she ruled the ship in anger, refusing to acknowledge her baby could be alive and not in her reach, soon she decided to call the ship something new in her frustration based on her hard life and anger. "The Lost Spirit"
-
Seven years or so passed and she followed many leads, eventually... losing her ship and crew to a mutiny of their own. She survived, but found herself not knowing where to take her life next.

Any extra information: Has a rage inside her unlike anything else, she lets it loose every time she finds herself in a fight. It often gets the best of her.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:24 pm 

lurking

Looking good! We've got a strong cast going here. One more spread and then we can start talking about where we want to start the roleplay and whatnot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:06 pm 

Contemplating existence

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)

Name: Ross Farsight

Skills: Ross is a crafty sort of person, and a little unorthodox at times, but it helps him be unpredictable in a fight and useful in defending or carrying out raids. He has two cutlasses that he sometimes dual wields, a pistol he's very accurate with, and some knives underneath his coat sleeves for surprise attacks.

Appearance: (pictured above)

Personality: Ross is light-hearted, joking his way through most of his life. He's also quite reckless, but despite the many close calls he's had, he doesn't seem to rein his enthusiasm down at all. He also enjoys quiet moments to himself or with companion or two.

Backstory: Ross never had parental guidance during his childhood, growing up as an orphan on the streets for most of his life until he was picked up by a pirate captain who was impressed when Ross picked his pocket and nearly got away. He's lived a nomadic life since, gaining respect from his crewmates for the multiple times in which he either saved them or helped destroy an enemy ship. He ran into Captain Maxmillion in a tavern once after such a raid, and the stories of his feats were so exaggerated the captain took notice and recruited him after a small sword fight to test his skills.

Any extra information: Feels a bit existential at times due to never really having a true purpose in life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:18 pm 

lurking

Perfect! Everything seems in order and now we can start discussing plot related things.

So to start we have a couple of options:
-Start at a pirate-friendly port. Pubs, drinking, etc etc. We can get some good early character development.
-Start with raiding a coastal village. Good because you can write you character in battle and pressuring situations. Also synergy with other crewmen.
-Finally we can just start with a regular day out at sea. Basic but flexible.
If you've got any ideas then obviously feel free to add to the pot.

After we come to a general conclusion I'll start drafting a first post and hopefully get it up before the end of Friday.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:27 pm 

Sort of back.

I'm torn between first and third options, I feel they'd both give us the chance to test out our characters and get to know them better before we get to the battlefield. But I'll honestly be happy with anything.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:47 pm 

1st Year (1)

I like idea 1! It would be funny to have 'em all drunk. XD

But I'm happy with any.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:46 pm 

lurking

The first option was at the top of my list as well. We'll see if we get any more opinions before later tomorrow and if not I'll make my post for that one.