PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:37 am 
Savior

Medals: 4
Completed RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

The World
Background
The earth is dying. Mankind has been reduced to a shadow of its former self after a cataclysm eons ago, where whatever history of the world has been has been buried under the ruins of civilization. Fell magic courses through the world, tainting the land, land waters and air. The skies darkened, and never had dawned since. In this world, humans have become hunted, prey for the warped creatures who would feast on their flesh and marrow.

Our Survivors
The Survivors wake up in a world shrouded in darkness awash in the blood of the wounded earth. The only thing keeping the darkness away are iron lamps placed beside each survivor. Their bodies have been marked by a black liquid substance. They know not of what happened before and what will happen after.

Scenery
The world is shrouded in a darkness so heavy, it feels almost like a thick viscous liquid. The ground is covered in a grey, hardened rock, ash compressed into stone. The waters are surprisingly clear, but some bodies of liquid bear a sinister glow from being corrupted by wild magic released on the land. Occasionally, there will be small patches of crystals which glow gloomily in the darkness, usually to be harvested to be used as a source of light. The landscape is occasionally dotted by structures or parts of vegetation of the world for decades ago, covered in the hard shell of compressed ash, like grey stone.

Characters of the World
Survivors
They are born without knowing anything: of the world or even of what brought them here, seemingly appearing over the earth. There has yet to be an explanation for their appearance. They are definitely human, those who have been found and recovered have been tested and found to be so, as such, they are as fragile as humans, in both mind and body. They tend to band together in the groups that they wake in, forming colonies to survive against the perils of the darkness.

Character Sheet
Code:
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Distinguishing Mark(s):[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

The Nameless Colony
Population Size
The number which represents the amount of Survivors in the Colony, inclusive of both the Survivor characters created by the RPers and unnamed survivors. Each time a Survivor is killed, deduct the appropriate number from the population count. If at any point the population reaches 0, the colony has died. RPers are then given a chance to decide if they want to begin again from the start as new survivors with a new colony or end the story right there with the death of their settlement.

Innovations
Innovations represent the progress of the colony as time goes by. When the colony is created and named, the colony gains Language. This in turn will unlock more innovations to further the settlement's progress and will affect encounters with other factions. Innovations can also become available when certain story events have occurred. Each available or unavailable innovation has criteria to be unlocked or made available.

Available Locations
Locations unlock during key events. The unlocked Locations can offer additional options for the Survivors or additional plot events.

Known Locations
The Proving Grounds
The place where the Survivors first awake. It is the area believed to hold a certain draw to beasts where they can hunt. Not always, but it happens very regularly, as it seems.

Events & Dice Rolls
During hunts and settlement phases, events will occur. These events along with plot events may require dice rolls. When this sort of event happens in the IC, a post will be created in the OOC which will require dice rolls to overcome. On it will also include an outcome list, and other information needed to decide the outcome of the event.

The dice used are d10s and for more unique circumstances, a code list will be given for ease of use.

Example of an Event:
Quote:
HUNT EVENT

Enigma Fountain

The Survivors realize they are in a the time-worn city center. The ground is cobbled with dead moss filling up the cracks. Before them, towers a majestic fountain. The Survivors can choose to drink from the fountain, and/or douse themselves with the water. If they choose to either, roll on the table below.

Drink
1: The Survivor chokes, coughing out blood and dispelling silvery crystals from their torn and slashed insides. Gain +1 Silver Shard Resource.
2-8: The Survivor feels refreshed from the drink. All his wounds heal magically.
9-10: A chill runs through the Survivor, then nothing. Not the warmth from the lantern nor the chill from the water. The Survivor gains an extreme threshold to pain, allowing them to live past horrific wounds.

Douse
1-2: Scales form over the Survivor's eyelids. The Survivor becomes blind as a result of this.
3-8: The Survivor's hair turns white, but other than that, they feel as though the weight of their travels has been lifted from their shoulders.
9-10: When the Survivor is attempting to douse herself in the liquid, she finds a finely-made sword, wrought of black steel at the bottom of the pool. It hums with forbidden energies. She may choose to pick up the sword, if she does, she gains a Two-Handed Dusk Sword. This weapon is Cursed.

Cursed: The Survivor who first comes into contact with this item must always keep this item in her gear at all times. If it is a weapon, she must always use this weapon in combat.

Updates

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: ABYSS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:09 pm 

http://mcpainty.corgiorgy.com/

Hey zen! Tossing my hat in the ring. XD

Name: Not knowing who he is, his name isn't predetermined, but will be added later once he finds one or is given one.
OOC Name: Ambrose. Or Amos for short. At least until he gets a real name.
Appearance: He has short, thick, dark brown hair with bluish grey eyes. His eyebrows are nearly as thick and rough as his facial hair which is clearly ungroomed. He weighs approximately 180 lbs and stands at exactly 6 feet 2 inches.
Distinguishing Mark(s): Besides his grizzly, unkempt appearance, the only other distinguishing features is a tattoos that he's unsure of how got there, and his Mark of Ash. His tattoo is a large treble clef on his inner, right forearm, however, to him, it's just a meaningless scribble that he's unfamiliar with. His Mark of Ash is on the lower left side of his back.
Personality: Although he follows instincts and isn't completely dumb, or an entirely blank slate, no true personality traits have arisen as of yet, leaving one to question if it has even developed yet.
Other: N/A

I wasn't sure if the tattoo thing was okay or not, but I tossed it in anyway. If it's not, then don't worry, I'll just take it out.

Images | +
ImageImage

Last edited by McPainty on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:55 am 
Savior

It works, though should probably have had a name so that we can refer to him in OOC. I'll be getting my CS up soon.

Btw, since this has been brought up a couple of times, do you mind having the random factor through the use of dice, since I have had others mention that the dice makes it complicated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:34 pm 

http://mcpainty.corgiorgy.com/

The name is fine. :) I just didn't want him to start off being called something in the rp. We can call him Ambrose though, or Amos for short. Or until he's given an actual name in the game.

And I like the idea of the die, it makes it so we can't just say we did something perfectly to avoid certain death, but it would be a lot of work, especially for you since you'd have to come up with all the different scenarios for each type of roll. It'd be similar to how a GM would play in a tabletop RPG.

However, I wouldn't do the dice thing every time there is a chance that something would happen, since that would ruin the flow of the rp a bit and hinder everyone's creative writing abilities. Like, if they wanted to do something unexpected or creative, but had a dice roll say that something they did earlier sucked and therefore they couldn't do it (or they failed 100% at it) or something, then that would kinda be a downer.

I think there needs to be a balance. Like, only use the die for something super important ( Like a giant swinging it's hammer down and you have to dodge at the last minute) or if you think someone is being unreasonable. Or if there is an argument or something. I wouldn't use it like Spot checks or something. "You're looking for a book, roll a die to see if you find it. Also roll to see if you spotted a figure behind you". Not like that or anything.

Again, this is a roleplay, not an RPG, so I'd say use it abotu half as often as you would as a GM. If it'll ruin the flow and people are being pretty reasonable with their outcomes, then I'd say don't use it. If they're starting to be OP or magically dodge a devastating blow, or it's something that's super uber important, then I'd say use it.

Sorry, that was a long explanation for that. But anyway, those are my two cents. I don't care if we do or don't use them, that's just if we do decide to use them. If we use them correctly, I think they could add a lot of dimension to the rp that may not have been there otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:45 am 
Savior

Name: Marlin
Appearance: Dark skinned, short-cut hair. Short but stout frame with an athletic build. His eyes are a dark green.
Distinguishing Mark(s): Mark of Ash on his left shoulder blade.
Personality: Loud and boisterous despite not knowing anything of who he is and what lies in wait for him. He will always try to help preserve the lives of others as there is safety in numbers against the unknown.
Other: N/a

Name: Elyss
Appearance: Short, blond hair, ending above her shoulders. Her eyes are almond brown and she stands at 1.69m tall.
Distinguishing Mark(s): Mark of Ash on her shoulder.
Personality: She masks her fear of the world by being irate and angry. She will prioritize herself over others even at no loss to herself.
Other: N/a

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:49 am 
Savior

Okay, just so you know, the Mark of Ash mentioned would be on the main body of all starting survivors. Main body meaning not too far out onto the limbs. This will be a mark which draws out the initial creatures to hunt them down. It is automatically assumed that they have the mark, though if you'd like you can edit your CS.

I'd expect character sheets to be short since most of their lives are supposed to be fleeting, save for special characters from outside the settlement or nemesis characters.

I'll get the IC up this weekend. In the meantime we can discuss any other parts about the world and wait for additional RPers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:49 am 
Savior

IC is up!