All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cypher Island
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:22 pm 

Location: Second star to the right and strait on 'till morning!
Medals: 1
Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Located in the middle of the pacific ocean, created in the mid to late 22nd century, Cypher Island stands solitary and isolated from the rest of the world. The very island itself was created to be the main offices of the Cypher Bio-Tech research super company, and eventually that company and it's employees became their own city state and the main supplier of Biological Technologies for the rest of the world. Their boarders, however, are closed to all outsiders, and no one outside of the islands ocean and air space know for sure what is really going on in the Miracle Science City.

You do. You are a resident of Cypher Island, and all is not well. While you have access to technologies unimagined by the outside world, socio-political unrest and an innately corrupt government plague the city and the threat of a revolutionary war looms heavy on the minds of all but the upper class. Worst of all, a genetic mutational drug, feral-emphetamine, or Beast, is widely used by anyone and everyone unfortunate enough to live in the poorer parts of town. Some say, they are even forced to use it to survive...

So here's the details. Cypher Island is a multi level city, with streets built every fifty stories or so, reaching higher than any city on earth. There are nine levels in total, and the lower you live, the poorer in wealth and social status you are. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, living lover then level six has been infected by Beast by chance or by choice, and has experienced the effects of it.

Beast is a genetic altering drug that includes the DNA of a non human animal, and integrates it in with whatever organism it enters. If 'cut' or mixed correctly, it can pinpoint specific parts of the body to do specific things, such as add a tail or wings or other appendage, cover a being with scales, enhance reflexes or other such things. The one thing that is always affected first however, is the eyes. No matter how little Beast you've used, you're eyes always change to the same type as the animal you've mixed with.

The side effects can include organ failure if the Beast is uncut, and even if cut correctly, using too much over your life time can cause serious brain damage resulting in an animalistic state known as "going feral" by users. Due to the seemingly inescapable nature of the drug in the lower levels (it is easily carried by insects such as biting gnats and mosquitos, and may also be in the food or water system), most people in the lower levels end up using it at least once to build a resistance to the drug, if not for the positive or stylistic side effects. Other side effects are an elated 'high' period during and after, and some addictive properties, with paranoia and anger-based mood swings if used over a long period of time. These effects can be minimized if the drug is cut correctly. A full transformation takes about a week or two, again depending on the way the Beast is cut. It can be mixed with pure sucrose, proteins, and carbohydrates in liquid form to reduce the bodily shock of the drug.

The social aspects of the city are actually rather simple. The upper class believe that anyone who's used Beast is automatically more likely to commit a violent crime, and therefore will accuse all beast users of said crimes, usually convict them, and then make them second class citizens and force them to live lower in the city (usually more changed users are forced to live at or below level five).

Some of the common technologies are bio-engines for vehicles or homes (they use a grown muscle to turn a wheel that generates electricity), advanced medicine that nullify most genetic deceases, although some viral and bacterial deceases use medicine far too expensive for the middle to lower classes, and houseplants that can be grown to imitate any building material or food, from steel to corn beef. Real, non-plant grown food brought from off the island is a luxury that only the rich can afford. All buildings are made from these grown materials, and even the walls in an apartment building usually require mild trimming as the major buildings are still alive and growing (the trimming of the outside is done by a common, very large beetle called cement suckers by locals). The functions that are not filled by bio-technology in the lower levels are usually filled by a more digital, energy manipulation based tech.

This is partially due to the monitory system of the island. They trade, not in gold or paper notes, but in energy. They have a completely cashless system that is backed by energy units, like calories and ohms (unit of electrical energy... I think), which are stored in a battery like bank and transferred to wherever they're needed or spent. In this way, you don't pay for a power bill, you are literally spending money on keep the lights lit. Because of this, light is seen as a kind of wealth that can be displayed. People's clothes light up (a la Tron style, but more urban) to display that they have the money to spare the same way we wear gold jewelry. Poorer people also might have chemical lights in their clothes to imitate this at a cheeper price. Also, keeping your windows closed when you have lights on is considered rude when it's dark out (all the time in the bottom few levels), because it costs the same amount to have your lights on or not, so you should share it. This is also why a lot of people genetically alter themselves to have much better night vision. It's all because of their money system.

Because the city and the island itself was created by and for a company, the government is built the same way. This makes them very efficient and capitalistic, but also makes them very corrupt. Most government officials are even allowed to take bribes to look the other way, so long as it doesn't impede the "production and smooth running of the citie's production of goods and wealth." So while it's technically a democracy, in the end it's really a purely money and monitory power based government, with the richest society members living at the top and having the most voice.

The lowest level of Cypher Island would be twice the hight of all the other levels (and even a bit taller then the highest level) if the island wasn't sinking into the ocean slowly, flooding the bottom half of level one. The still growing buildings also have become jungles on the inside at this level, filled with strange, genetically modified creatures, making them unlivable for all but the bravest residence. This causes most of the populace at this level to build their own houses from whatever materials they can scrounge together (usually wood, the cheapest to grow), making extensive floating towns with canals for roads. These are known as the infamous floating slums, where anything can be bought for a price, even a life.

Finally, the police force of Cypher Island are bio-mechanical humanoids that are insect themed just called the Enforcers. People can make this up as they go, but I may or may not introduce some of my ideas as we go through the story. The main police unit is called an ANT Enforcer. (Browny points to anyone who can think up a good acronym for ANT, 'cus I'm clueless.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

So here are some base rules for your character.

This is a sandbox setting, so you can make any character in any social setting, but there are trends and consequences you should be aware of. The upper level people are all about being purely human, so no animal modifications. They also have a very insect like look to them and their vehicals/gadgets. This makes people in the lower levels extremely mistrustful of anything insect like, so while genetic modification with insects is possible, it is extremely un popular. Also because of the genetic 'distance' between humans and insects, it's far more dangerous. Upper level people have very little prejudice against other upper level people, and only really judge based on income, but they are extremely prejudiced against anyone infected with beast.

As for cultural stereotypes in regards to lower level people, they also have very little prejudice to skin tone, but do have 'racism' against certain animal types that people choose to become. You can make that up as you go, but try and base it on how the animal themselves feel. However, insects again are mistrusted and usually seen as government spies and agents.

Note that the lower you get, the more animalistic you can be, but once your character starts altering their skeletal structure or vital organs (unless you target them specifically), they're usually just about gone. Most people's skin is mostly human looking (again, unless targeted specifically to be changed), and they just have a few animal parts. But eyes are almost always changed.

Remember, it's Sandbox, so you can make up your stories as you go along, and I'm perfectly fine with people making parts of the universe up as they go along as well. Anything I haven't detailed, you can make up, and if you want to change something I've made up, or if you want to make an exception to the rule, PM me and we'll discuss it. I'll try and accommodate whatever you have in mind, and I'm always open to story ideas if someone would like to give this thing more direction.

Character sheets are whatever format you like, and if I feel like you need to clarify something I'll let you know.

Last edited by Jessie Shadowhold on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Cypher Island
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:23 pm 

Supporter (1)

I guess lastly, I'll post my own characters after I get a feel for what kind of story we're going to have. Or stories, plural. Also as the GM, I reserve the right to control NPC's to direct anyone's stories at any time if I feel it's needed, but I'll mostly try and get out of your way when I can.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:40 pm 

Supporter (1)

Edit: I added a little more about the police force, just above the second line.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:50 am 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

I like it, Jess. Looks pretty neat and detailed just enough to give the feel of the thing without putting a cast on the world and making it static. I would suggest a very basic character sheet template (something along the lines of Name, Level, Profession/Trade, Beast user? Y/N (though that would be a given depending on where your char lives), Animal you are mixed with, stuff like that. Or maybe just something even more basic, such as Name, Level and the rest on a background txt).

I'm already thinking up my char.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:54 am 

I have returned

Blog: View Blog (0)

I think I have an idea for the ANT enforcer acronym: All Neutral Task Enforcer. Also, if like to add another police unit, the SPIDER unit: Special Police Invasion and Defense EnforceR unit. They are almost completely mechanical creatures, with a manufactured brains only. They'd walk on four mechanical legs and four arms, two of which have a gun or cannon of some sort, another has some kind of blade, and the fourth has a toxin injector, which can either be sleep, paralysis, or deadly toxins. Thoughts on my creations and acronyms?

As for my character in waiting till I have more time, but I already have an idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:48 am 

Supporter (1)

I know. The spider works, but remember their engines are muscle, so it wouldn't be a brain on a stick so much as a biological creature that's been grown into a suit of armor that doesn't come off.

Sent from Castle Shadow-hold using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:53 am 

I have returned

Ok, glad you like it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:56 am 

Supporter (1)

And at shadow ladies request...

NAME:
BEAST MIX OF CHOICE: (this is basically what animal or animals are you mixed with. This can be none if you're an upper class person)
APPEARANCE:

PERSONALITY:

LOCATION: (where do you live and/or work? Your allowed to make up places in the city if you wish. Be sure to include the level you live on)

HISTORY: (this one is purely optional. I'm fine with a character who's history is made up on the spot.)

And that's it. Also feel free to add bits and pieces to it.

Last edited by Jessie Shadowhold on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:58 am 

Sort of back.

Thank you, Jess, I love you in a completely non-creepy and compromising way. XD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:00 am 

Supporter (1)

Double post. Derp.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:38 pm 

I have returned

Here we go.

NAME: Desmond Call

BEAST MIX OF CHOICE: Spider monkey with cat eyes.

APPEARANCE: Desmond's entire body is covered in a layer of black fur except for his head. He has a tail and green car eyes. His hair is long, flat, and black, extending to his shoulders. He wears a grey short sleeve t-shirt and black cargo pants, the pockets of which are full of either small figs or labeled vials of expertly cut beast. He has four sheaths on the back of his upper legs, three hold regular throwing knives, the one on upper right has a small stun baton instead. He has a tail, five feet long and jet black.

PERSONALITY: A reforming snob and more than a little full of himself, his upper class heritage only shows on rare occasion, but more often when he's high. He talks rapidly and endlessly, only pausing to breath and listen. In his business dealings he has developed a bit of a moral code, such as not selling to minors, nor selling anything he wouldn't use himself, along with one or two others others.

LOCATION: fifth floor, Spotlight, a six by six block area named so because it resides under a large gap in the upper floors, alloying sunlight to flood in. This makes it prime real estate.

HISTORY: Desmond was born to a middle class family on the sixth floor, where he grew up with a strong interest in science, particularly chemistry.
At the age of 16, he used beast for the first time, not enough to do much but enough to get him hooked. He was rather put out by the quality and outrageous price of the drug, and of such decided to use his advance chemistry skills to cut his own.
Deciding to go with spider monkey, mostly for the tail, he bought and made the goods, accidentally mixing in a bit of cat. He was more than satisfied with his work. Locking himself in his room, it was a full day and a half until his father forced the door open, to find Desmond laying on the floor, fur already growing in. It finished its work in two weeks.
He was almost immediately put on the fifth floor by the government, where he continued to make his own beast, selling it to make a profit. Rising above the competition with his expertly cut beast, he realized that he'd have to protect himself if he was going to be in this business, so he taught himself through trial and error to throw knives, especially with his tail. Is currently looking to employ an enforcer of some sort as well.

I'm not only open to but encourage suggestions on how to make Desmond's history better.

Last edited by Jack Spade on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:23 pm 

Supporter (1)

So, if you could clean up the description of his personality. Also, make it a tad longer before the drug finishes a transformation. Say, a week or two for full transformation of that kind. I'll add that as a detail in the first bit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:34 pm 

I have returned

Better? Now it was only starting to grow when they found him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:45 pm 

Supporter (1)

That's better. Just gonna sit here and twiddle my thumbs and wait for more people...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:46 pm 

Sort of back.

My brain is shutting down right now. Hopefully I will be able to develop my character after dinner. '-'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:50 pm 

I have returned

Eat pizza, I am a firm believer that pizza makes thinking and brainstorming ideas easier. Don't know why but it does.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:51 pm 

Sort of back.

What do you suppose my dinner will be? lol Just picking the flavor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:00 pm 

Supporter (1)

You don't need to do it right away and all that. I'd rather not be the reason you're all stressed and tired.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:03 pm 

Sort of back.

Oh, relax. I'm stressed and tired because of work. I'll see if I feel better after dinner, if I don't, I'll do it in the morning. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:53 am 

Wandering through uncharted space...

Location: Canada... Somewhere in the North of Kere's Domain...
Medals: 6
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)
1st Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

I've got a few ideas Jess for a char. I'll stew them up and hopefully get you a char app this weekend. By the way the info's great. Not overwhelming at all. I love details and lore so this was actually really exciting to read! Yay. I'll apologize in advance if my app is supper long. I can be annoying for large apps :s I try not to, but sometimes I get carried away. And sometimes they end up really short.