All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal Nation IC
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:59 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Long black hair, snarled and wild, tangled through with beads and grass, capped by a leather, beaked hood decorated with black and brown feathers framed an angular and imposing face. Hard blue eyes watched those around him. Kiitani, the Bird Man, with his cloak of feathers around his shoulders in a mantel of authority. There is nothing but unrest in the people now, their spirits are not at ease.

He understood though, his own was wild with fear. He'd watched his kindred, those who held the sky, torn apart and broken. Wings snapped and feathers burned...or wet, bloated bodies as they had drown after being unable to take wing. His soul called out in anguish and pain for his kin. His spirit called out to it's people, the Animal Nation still needed him as a mystic, to guide them and protect them from attacks that may come, spiritually and physically in this wild untamed world.

She watched them, with her blue eyes, softening from their hard glare as she saw a small one, crying for the death around it. Kiitani, the Bird Woman, the Mystic of the Animal Nation went to this young one and comforted him. Her long black hair, snarled and tangled through with beads and grass, that was capped by a leather, beaked hood and decorated with black and brown feathers hang into her face as she bent to him, on one knee and comforted him.

She was Kiitani, and she understood. She was their Mystic, no matter how she appeared, male or female, bird or human, she was Kiitani, the Bird Mystic of the Animal Nation...and even a Cataclysm of Fire and Water had not changed this. Draekin, the new Alpha of the Wolves of the Nation had put unrest to them a few nights before. She expected him to come again. There had been a challenge and his arm band had been taken, as had hers, until it was to be decided.

Kiitani, and many of the Nation did not know, how could the know? There were those who had heard the words, and took them to heart, those who believed hunters are hunters and prey is prey. They had left, spirits dead inside, to make something of their own. They no longer believed in the way of the Nation, and would make their own, where they were Men, not Animal People. They wore their hides and scales and feathers like Men, dressed to protect themselves from the weather. As the Nation started to rebuild itself, creating Homes by working with what was there in nature, tying branches together, and making small huts from their woven grass blankets, the Men started to build with stone and cut trees...

These People, who were new to being Men of the World...would learn to hunt...and would eat meat, as Hunters eat meat...no longer are they People of the Animal Nation.

Want to find out if you would survive a Zombie attack? Click and See! http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Lady%20Aime

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Animal Nation IC
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:53 pm 

Quote Witchety Grub:
Prowling the borders of the Nation's encampment, Draekin had watched some of these others go, and had known instinctively that they would not be returning. They weren't like those that left the camp to scour the surrounding lands, searching for anything that might help them rebuild their shattered lives, returning tired and disheartened with, perhaps, a meagre supply of food, or water-logged branches and tree trunks, torn loose by the storms.

No, these others had no intention of returning, Draekin could see that much in their upright, sundered posture. And their was a similarity to their smell which struck Draekin as unnatural, told him with certainty that these people were not of the Nation any longer. Though they might wear the raiments of Elk, or Fox, or even Bear, they all smelt the same, and they moved together, ignoring their one time pack-mates.

"Cowards," he had spat at them, "weaklings and fools." Better that they had died in the Cataclysm, a clean death, rather than the walking corpses Draekin watched file awkwardly out of camp, moving as if they were children learning to walk.

"Yet further proof at how far we have fallen under your rule, Kiitani" Draekin growled, remembering. For a moment he wondered just how many had gone, and how many of those still lived? Then he snorted dismissively, and turned towards the centre of the camp, his eyes a dark mirror to all he saw. He moved on four limbs, the Spirit of Wolf strongly upon him. Few acknowledged him as he passed; none greeted him. Most fled from his gaze, his loose-limbed gait, the smear of blood on his muzzle. His eyes roved left and right as he walked, but it was his nose that he followed, and it was aimed at the Mystic.

He found her, looking as bedraggled as her People, comforting a child. "Your time would be better spent instilling strength in the child, O Mystic." Draekin said, "His pain will give him strength, if he learns to use it."

Want to find out if you would survive a Zombie attack? Click and See! http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Lady%20Aime

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

Kiitani heard his voice, and slowly turned her head to see him standing there on all fours, his muzzle spattered in blood. She stood with a hand still on the child who looked at Draekin in confused horror. Many did, blood being a color they seldom saw.

Twisting so that she stood upright, with her head held high in authoritative defiance to his age. Age was nothing to a Mystic, they were breed to carry authority to themselves, and others should they have willed it so. Here, they had willed it so, at least before they had.

"Draekin" her tongue was held by the sight of the blood on him. At last, Kittani, the Bird man stood before him, his demeanor strong. "Drakin, Where has that blood come from, what right have you to blood on your face. It disgraces he Nation that you come like this among us." He stood tall, his arms folded in front of him and his chin up.

Quote Witchety Grub:
Draekin's eyes grew wide as the Mystic rose up before him, his body unconsciously adopting a submissive posture, tail and ears low, even as he snarled angrily at Kiitani's words. "Disgrace? That we have been reduced to such a state is the real Disgrace." he wined, his eyes darting like a caged animal.

"I return from patrol, having found only the broken and dying. One such pleaded with me to end his suffering, and I did what had to be done." As he speaks, Draekin raises his fore-limbs from the ground, his hands coming to rest almost wearily on his hips, his legs gathered beneath him as if ready to spring. Then he stands, slowly, half-turning from the Mystics gaze. "But as his life's-blood offends you so much..." he says, then wipes his face on the sleeve of his tattered furred cloak. "There. Perhaps now we can speak of other matters - such as the challenge?" and his eyes flash emerald at Kiitani.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:54 pm 

The submissive posture that Draekin took on is not lost to Kiitani, the blood gone he is on firm ground again. Blood disgusts him, it is fit to be in the body, pulsing through it, not on it, decorating it in mock of the life it represented. At least Draekin's reasons for this were good enough, though his presentation wanting.

"She has challenged you. I am here to mediate it, to make sure that this is right. I disapprove of it with all my being, but it is a challenge that I can not ignore." Though younger than Draekin by many years he has perhaps as much knowledge if not a little more crammed in to lead fairly. His cloak of feathers blows in the breeze, any slight breeze lifts it, wind calling it's nature.

The Fem in question is no where to be seen, but you can tell she is there for the tension in the air from the peoples. At last she does step forward, white pelt spattered in mud, and flecks of red life blood, much as he, but it decorates her hands and her near bare chest more than anything else. She stands proud, her eyes so vivid green and filled with anger. In her eyes the white wolf danced, it's silver mane blowing, much like the mantel about her shoulders did. Her tail was low in submission, but her face was defiant. "I do not take back my challenge to you." she states, her voice is rather husky for a female, but not so deep as to sound male. Her right ear is poked through with a small pointed bone she had found long ago. They stand tall and proud pointing to the sky.

Kiitani, the bird man places a hand on her shoulder, where once she wore the band that the wolf pack wore, but the challenge called for both hers and his to be removed. Kiitani had them in his possession, waiting to return one, or hopefully both of them. "Tomorrow, when the moon is a sliver and half way from the horizon we shall hold this challenge, should it befit you both." He says, so others too may hear. This will decide things for some of the Nation.
She nods her head once, hard, so there is no mistaking it, and folds her arms across her chest, hiding her breasts. Draekin is her Alpha, and her love, but there is no going back from this. Her spirit danced in her eyes and told her to challenge him and she had stepped forward. It was to late now to pull away, and she would not do it, even had she wanted to.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:55 pm 

Quote Witchety Grub:
Draekin's locks his gaze upon the Fem, still and deep. "Are you so desperate, then, to feel my touch again?" he asks, his words quiet but no less biting for that. "It will not be as gentle as you remember, my mate."

Draekin shifts, stretching his back as an old man might, turning his attention once more to the Mystic. "This is foolishness, Kiitani," he says, "and you should not permit it. The Pack has suffered enough losses, it can ill afford yet another wasted life, another sacrifice to your vanity." Draekin gestures expansively, drawing in the crowd, speaking as much to them as to the Mystic. "I have merely stated what many of the People have long thought, what the Spirits of many have long told them is true; that there is a natural order to the World - an order we ignore at our peril."

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:55 pm 

Kiitani stands tight lipped, his arms still folded and his chin up. The white female growls low in her throat, but her ears turn back and she takes a defensive stance. "I am desperate for the touch of truth, you have spoken lies about the Nation. I know you have seen them." she leaves this in the air.
Raissa is perceptive just as he. She is not just a pretty face, she does have high intelligence. She has seen those who left just as he, she could tell how they were. It had upset her greatly, and she would not turn away now, not as she might have before. She blames him for that.

Kiitani is young, and does not well understand what she meant. His eyes harden, trying to grasp the meaning there. "It is not for me to tell her to take back her challenge. When the wolf danced in your eyes more than it does now you stood before the Nation and spoke against it. So many are unhappy, and many would be glad to have you gone. I am fair though, I will let you test that you may stay, should you wish to, or go, accepted with the Nation. I do not wish this challenge, but this is her honor, and this is yours. You may step down if you so choose, but leave, if that is your plan." Kiitani did not like to speak so long, he felt he was not a good speaker, and preferred short words exchanged.

((I hope the name Raissa is acceptable, it's a name I enjoy for the meaning and how I sound it in my head. It means 'Thinker' which I find fitting.))

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 pm 

Quote Witchety Grub:
"Yes, I saw them! Weaklings that looked good only for eating," Draekin snarled at Raissa's words, dropping forward onto his hands, his lips curling back to reveal long, white death. He paced the circle, locking his mirrored gaze to each as he past, coming finally to face Kiitani.

At the Mystic's words, Draekin forces himself back onto his two feet, rage still clouding his features, "I am Alpha of the Wolves of the Animal Nation; I will not leave. We seek to join with nature, but we will not live by nature's rules. It is this hypocrisy that has brought the Cataclysm upon us, and now these others, these 'Men', too."

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 pm 

At his words there was fear and angry muttering. Meat was what Man consumed, even those who were carnivore in nature did not eat meat. They of the Nation were Vegetarians. Raissa had dropped to all fours too, ready to jump him then and there. There was no love in her eyes, only hated and fear. She was afraid. It was not that she cared for him no longer...she was afraid. A snarl rose from her, wordless and low.

Kiitani dropped a hand before the white wolf, silencing her snarl. "You will not leave, and she will not waver in her challenge. I did not force this fight, nor will it to be." stooping, he plucked a small pink flower, it's leaves yellow and serrated. "Draekin, I ask you to leave us until the moon is a slice in the sky, return here with this, present it to me, and the challenge will begin.

Raissa smiles, sharp, and angry like her eyes. It is attractive on her, while making her ugly too, her wolf is dancing, her wolf spirit is laughing. "I like that plant, it's serrated edges suit me so." her smile is directed now to Draekin in laughter.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:58 pm 

Quote Witchety Grub:
Draekin snatches the plant from Kiitani's hand, crushing it into his palm as he backs away, his hackles rising like that of an animal at bay. His mouth works but no words come, for a heartbeat he locks eyes with Raissa, his face is a mask of rage and pain.

Then he drops to all fours, bounding towards the circle of people, many of whom are struggling to master their own Spirits. All scatter before him however, and in a streak of steel grey he is gone, out from the camp.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:59 pm 

Men wait, as men so long before were use to doing. They built slowly, with tools they found new. They are not the most advanced beings on Antichthon, but they are not the slowest. This new Race...Human Beings.. was learning. They were slow...but they were learning, and hunting was one of the things they would soon learn...

Kiitani continued to help the Nation rebuild. It was simple, because they worked with nature. The moon was rising, crescent, thin and small...but bright. It seemed close to the earth this night, and cast light with a sort of forced purpose. A bonfire, built of broken tree trunks, still half soggy lent a more sickly light to the eyes of the Nation. They sat, or crouched, or hunched in the shadows of fire and one another. They hung about in great rings, fanning out into the dark where only eyes flashed, or teeth glinted as they spoke. They were in between, unsure, and scared...confused.

Raissa hid among them, waiting. She'd stayed away from Draekin as much as possible these past few days. She was hurt in her heart for what she had done, but would not take it back. That was her mate, but her duty was also to the Nation...

Kiitani, the Bird woman, danced around the fire. Her feathered boots on, hood pulled low and cloak twisting with the waves of heat from the blaze. Black, brown, white and gray swirling and flapping along with her wild black hair. She chanted to the spirits of nature, calling them to witness and grieve for the state of the Nation. She chanted her fear and love for them all who were gone, all who were there, and all who were yet to be. She loved them all for who they were, faults and flaws as much as good traits and actions.
Kiitani would not show it, but she was nervous, and afraid. She felt something on the wind. She took it to be something about the Challenge...but...she was not sure and could not grasp it properly.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:00 pm 

Quote Witchety Grub:
Draekin watches silently from the shadows beyond the fire's glow, his face expressionless.

He has not spoken with anyone of the Nation since he'd accepted Raissa's challenge and fled into the wilds. The memory of Kiitani's words that day still galled and itched at him, forcing him to examine them again and again, picking at them like a wound he refused to let heal. But in the emptiness of the land, Draekin could not stop the Mystic's words from reaching him, until he almost began to question what he knew to be true...and then would come to him the image of Raissa, as strong and beautiful as he remembered, her features curled into a mask of hatred of him. Her words were a lash, desire for her a twisted knot in his stomach.

Only by letting his Spirit rise within him could he quell the turmoil in his mind. Only then, bounding free under the waning moon, a dark howl in his throat, only then did things become clear to him. Then his purpose would return to him, clear and sharp, and he looked forward to his trial with feral glee.

And now he moves upright into the fire's light, his patched and ragged cloak of fur thrown back to reveal his naked torso, the play of muscles disguised by a network of old battle scars. The People part nervously to admit him, almost reluctantly, and he walks until he is less than a meter from the bonfire, the heat of it bringing a wince to his features. "I have come." he says, and he bares rows of clean white teeth.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:00 pm 

Kiitani, the Bird woman chanted and danced around the bonfire. Feathered cloak flapping and swirling around her, hiding her face in shadows, and then splashing it in the harsh orange glow of the fire. The Nation was silent, listening to her chanting. As Draekin came she continued her dancing and swirling until she was before him.

Straitening, it was now Kiitani, the Bird Man Mystic. His fierce, sharp blue eyes bore down the curved beak. They swam with vision, seeing where they were, what they were and Who they were. "Who are you, who comes before Bird Kiitani, Mystic of the Proud and Strong Animal Nation? Name yourself, and your reason. What is your right to be here? Show your token."

This verbal charge is important, and it seems like not even the fire is cracking because of the force behind the simple words.

((Respond as you think would be formal response. There was no particular wording. Raissa will be asked the same when she steps forward.))

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:01 pm 

Quote Witchety Grub:
Draekin takes a defensive step backwards as the majesty and power of the Mystic's dance weaves itself around him, binding him to this place and people. Compared to the Birdman Kiitani, his voice sounds harsh and petty as he responds to the formal challenge, but the fire staines his teeth red as he speaks, his eyes seeming feverish in the chaotic light.

"I am Draekin, fleet-pawed and Death's-ward, Alpha of the Wolf Pack of the Nation. I come to answer the Challenge against me, to prove it false through word and deed. This token grants me the right to do so."

Draekin holds the crushed leaf aloft so that it to catches the firelight, then throws it at Kiitani's feet, his own legs braced as if to withstand an approaching storm.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:02 pm 

For a moment anger flashes in Kiitani's eyes, bright and hard. It does not last though his words ring with the force of the wind ridden by the thunder birds. "The moon is a sliver in the sky, grinning down with powerful light to show the way to those who are lost to us." He turns slowly, talking to the Nation around him, this is words for all. "The Wind is dead in silence, watching for how it shall turn. The Fire burns like our spirits intertwined. We are the Animal Nation and together we are strong." It seems that as he speaks of these elements they are becoming more apparent, though they were always there, the Nation is taking a notice

"Though a cataclysm ravaged the land, and tore our families from us, we must remember we are strong. Even if we must fight, we are strong." He looks again at Draekin, one hand dropping to his side, as his cloak flies on a non-existent wind, looking truly like great flapping wings of a night bird. His other hand is cast towards the new Wolf Alpha "Draekin stands strong and is a mighty warrior of the Nation. He has accepted this challenge for his aggression, bearing the cost of these troubled times." He again turns with a flourish to all the peoples.

"Draekin stands, the challenged, here on the night accorded. Where is the Challenger, step forward and speak. Who are you who wish to fight before the The Mystic and the Proud, and Strong Animal Nation? Name yourself, and speak your heart." They know the reason behind the challenge, it is the death, the aggression and grief. The belief of Kiitani leading them as a Nation, instead of them falling, or choosing another.

((I hope that sounds alright, XD I was not sure. I just let him speak, and read over what he said. I don't know if it might make total sense or not. -.-' hope it does))

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:02 pm 

Quote Eferhilda:
Raissa stepped forth now, the time had finally come, and there was no turning back now as her heart hammered in her chest; a mixture of fear and nervousness coursing through her body. “I Raissa, the gentle, brave and swift. Protector of the weak, mate to the Alpha of the Wolf Pack of the Nation, challenge for the right to lead and guide our people” her voice only quaking a bit as she met the eyes of her beloved, her heart aching silently fearing the outcome of this challenge but knowing that there was no way around this, it had to be done for the good of them all. She just wished he could see it as that and not as her betraying him or the vows they shared as one when they joined and howled out their union to the heavens and world around them.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:03 pm 

Kiitani nods his head, and holds an arm to both wolves "Here stand the sides of the nation. Raissa, Gentle and True. Draekin, Brave and Loyal. Think no ill of them, the spirits abound think no ill of these two creatures who grace our great world."

He steps back now, folding his cloak around him, like great eagles wings folding closed in settlement. His head is bowed and his wild black hair lends a crazed look to his form. "Speak your hearts now, great wolves of the Nation, for one shall grace our lives no more after this task is done." He steps back a little further, leaving the great open space before the fire. "People of the Nation! Hold Witness! Once you have spoken your hearts, Begin!"

The start was up to them now. Kiitani was one of many unwilling watchers of this fight. The older people of the nation knew the power of the wolves as they fought. So long before when they were young they held witness to a wolf fight, a pack schism. Those wolves who left were beast again, nothing more than animals.
The Men, people who have left the Nation creep closer. They hear the crackle of fire and the rush of breath. They can smell the musk of frightened or worried animals and the odor of unwashed, drawn out people blended as one. Their animal spirits are crushed, and far below the surface, but still there...somewhere...for now. They hear the end of Kiitani's words as they drift closer, hiding in the dark, with no wind blowing.

Quote Witchety Grub:
Draekin almost staggers forward, the force of Kiitani's words hitting him with the weight of the Nation. Almost he drops to his knees as Raissa answers his challenge, her strength as mesmerising to him as it had always been. But he keeps his feet, his chest heaving like a bellows.

As the Circle encloses him, Draekin focuses his entire attention on Raissa. "It need not be this way. You can still recant," he says. "This is not how I would wish it."

Quote Eferhilda:
Pain and fear clutched at her chest, squeezing her heart as her green eyes focused only on her mate before her; all else lost to the background. His pain is like her own and only adds to the weight that seemed to be pressing on her making it difficult for her to breath. "This is not what I wish either...." her voice soft though clear as a single tear rolled down her cheek, her steps hesitant as she moves forward. "I wish for it to be as it was between us.....to those nights when we ran together under the night sky, the wind rushing past our ears, through our fur...." she takes a deep breath and half crouches her tail flicking nervously back and forth behind as her ears laid back against her head. "Please stand down and let us be that way again..." her voice breaking into a whimper as she took a deep breath.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:04 pm 

Quote Witchety Grub:
"You know I cannot," Draekin growls deep in throat, snapping his jaw at Raissa's appeal. His eyes are filled with the sight of her, his limbs rigid with barely checked passion or violence, it is impossible to tell which. All around, the People of the Nation sit silently, watching as Draekin suddenly drops to one knee, his chest heaving beneath it's web-work of scars.

"It is you who must back down, my mate," Draekin pants, "my quarrel is with the Mystic, not you. Back down, and it can still be how it was between us". Draekin's eyes bore into Raissa, demanding, pleading for her compliance.