All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dionaea
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:04 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

[ The world will develop as the story goes - If you want to join. Join. Just post your character in and I'll get them incorporated within a post or two. ]

Ice cold water fell from the heavens. "God forsaken crap hole." Muttered Mitchaland Arthur Joist, Mitch to his friends of which there were precisely zero. It had been two years, two long miserable hard years since he had awoken to the sound of his father's throat being slit by his mother. Severed the bastard right, he shouldn't have beat her. Unfortunately, the Royal Count's representative had not agreed and Mitch remembered in horror as his mother's head had snapped in the noose.

Mitch had left the village and taken to the life of a bandit, which he had to admit had been a very lucrative one, there was just one pesky problem. The last mark had taken great exception to parting with his wares and had removed all but Mitch's head from their prospective shoulders. Mitch had been lucky, he had been in the bushes taking a leak when the merchant's elite crack force had come. They didn't take anything, which to Mitch's mind was good ... he felt rich with the four silver that rested in his belt buckle, but he knew he had a choice, he could continue the life of banditry, find another crew. Or he could be smart, and find another line of work.

Mitch decided on the latter, and the first thing he was going to do when he got into civilization again was get himself a bath and a proper shave. Lifting his hand to the brown and white scruff that would be otherwise called an exceptionally hairy beard he muttered, "Nineteen years old and you already have grey in your beard. Come on Mitch, keep your wits. Shave, smarten up.. and see if there is a life for you now the Old Count is dead ..."

Now Mitch knew better than to think about a city, no that would not be good. Too many people and he wouldn’t fit in, but a nice inn, to restock supplies … to make himself a man again, that would be excellent. Living in the wilderness, he knew he wasn’t able to face the jungle of a city. As a child he had gone to one and knew enough that he hated it, but cooking that wasn’t just a skewered rabbit over a spit. That was something to look forward to, and he was rich right? Four whole silvers, he hadn’t seen so much money in his entire life!

Picture of Mitch - Thanks to LiberLibelula

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Dionaea
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:24 am 

Fear the plant

Kalista was changing the bandages on her feet when she heard someone coming. Her heart beat faster and she could barely breathe. That wasn't good. In fact it was stupid. What would her grandfather think? What did she expect? She'd stopped not far from an Inn. She could smell it. That's why she decided to stop and fix her dress and check on her burns and pretend she wasn't afraid. If she was careful, no one would ever find out again. If she was careful, she would be perfectly fine. People liked people who could help them patch up their wounds or deworm a sheep. She would find a new place to live. Some people to help.

She would not panic. She would talk to anyone who came along and... okay she would smile at whoever... look at them... not hide in the bushes? But the bushes were so close. Her dress was brown, boring. She could totally hide in the bushes. "No, no you won't." But they were right there and no one else was using them for anything, they didn't even have berries, they probably wished they could hide someone. She put her foot on the ground, she set her shoulders straight, though she knew her size was rather underwhealming at just over five feet, and she pushed long curly hair away from her hazel eyes. She was brave. She could do it. Just pretend she was... uhh what was she doing? Nothing she was doing nothing. That would look weird. People didn't just sit on the side of the road for no reason doing nothing.

She hid in the bushes.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:37 am 

Mitch heard the sound of bushes moving and he licked his lips, he was in luck! An animal had trapped itself in them, and although he was sick of wild game; he was far more sick of the gnawing emptiness in his belly. Such opportunities are to be seized upon and he moved towards where the rustling was and he knew that stealth was the key!

Mitch supposed the two years of experience in the field was something and moving to take out a dagger he had resting against his hip he grinned to himself as he lowered down to a crouching position and stayed as still as he could to pinpoint where the animal was trapped in the bushes. Easing off the path as to become one with the woods itself he wondered what it felt like as the bush caught his arm and he tried to ignore the sharp pain as it cut into his flesh just a little. If he moved suddenly the potential supper would be gone in the wind and he couldn’t allow that!

Mitch bit on his lower lip and the pain subsided, releasing the flesh he proceeded to continue stalking moving slowly along the bushes a few feet at a time so not to disturb his potential dinner. Only ten feet from where Kalista was hiding, he stopped and looked around again. However the bushes were thick and it was mostly sound he was hunting by, the faintest hint… and he’d have them, so he waited. Mitch knew the secret of a good hunt, was patience.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:40 am 

Fear the plant

The tree she'd been tucked against had sheltered her wonderfully, it was nice and dry. The bushes... were wet. How could she forget it was raining? A person should not get so tied up in obsessing over nothing that they failed to notice something like rain. She could hear the rain. She could feel the rain, icy cold drops working through the protection of her hair and... oh. Her cloak. Yes it was right over there, a few steps from the smelly man. He would absolutely find her. Then he would ask, what are you doing in the bushes? What was she doing in the bushes? She'd had a nice dry spot. She was waiting for the rain to pass. Oh! That's why a normal person would sit on the roadside. Why was her brain so slow? Now she was wet and being found in the bushes was even odder.

A man with a big knife was not exactly comforting. Of course if she tried to run away, she'd probably loose her bandages, and she thought they needed at least one more day and some rest. Like at an inn. Where people went. Well people who didn't hide in bushes. People who had money. Or something to trade. She could wait for the man to go away and think of something to trade at the same time. Except she was getting wetter, and her cloak was right there. He was blind. Okay it was brown too, and kind of patched. Still. Right, lets insult the man with the knife on his lack of finding skills, that'll help things along. He was just a human. A bleeding human.

She noticed from her position that there were valerian growing near the edge of the road. How could she not notice them, the man had trampled them and they smelled... distinctive. She should gather some, that would be very useful. She could think of twenty things to do with it, including wander over and roll in it. No. That would be odd. Humans didn't normally love the scent. Humans also didn't roll in things. Her eyes began to drift, looking to see if there were other prizes near by. There! Right behind the tree she'd been sitting against! A giant lion's mane. She chortled in glee, "Hah I see you!" She opened her collection bag and began to dance over to the mushroom, stopping after a whole one step.

The man. The man with the big knife. Why no she didn't look crazy at all with a leaf or two in her hair, talking to a mushroom. She patted her damp head down, checking for leaves. "Oh. Uh well. That's a big knife. If you're not going to stab me I'm just going to grab my cloak... and that mushroom. Maybe some valerian, I could really use valerian. You could try some yarrow on that. Or plantain. That's everywhere. The cut I mean. I don't have a lot of bandages left though. Well I think I have none left. Unless I lost one in the bottom of the bag. Sometimes that happens. Then I take out all my collections and find a wet, dirty bandage and that does no one any good. I suppose it isn't the worst if you have a good clean dressing." She had to stop talking. Shhh. No more talking. No asking if you sound normal or terrified. Look for a dressing in the side pocket. That looked natural. No wait, go get your cloak. Who stood around in the rain just talking? Not humans. She could do both. Super normal. Done. She rummaged in her bag and wandered back to the tree and she didn't see any dressing left either, but there was her collection knife so she could get that mushroom cleanly, and there were probably more mushrooms around. Well of course there were, but finding useful ones, that was the important part.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:19 am 

Well there went the rabbit on the spit idea. Instead, out of the bushes came a girl with half bandaged feet whom judging by the water saturation of her body had been dry and he must have startled her which is why she had hid. The girl could not have been more than five foot and her once curly hair was matted down with water and it had leaves in it! The crazy thing had jumped up and said, “Hah I see you.” Taking a moment to think on how to respond to her insane chattering he sniffed the air a moment and realized that there was now an odd smell coming from him and looking down at the trampled herbs she must have meant them and then his eyes lifted back to her and he saw the poorly tied bandages on her feet and the burn marks as she danced around the tree. No sign of shoes at least in front of him, he hadn’t noticed as of yet her previous spot and then he looked back at the knife and looking a bit sheepish he remembered he wasn’t a bandit anymore. No he was going to be a respectable member of society. Sliding the blade away he said with a soft grunt, “Sorry.”

Sorry? He never used that word before and maybe it was the disappointment of missing what was a free lunch and he should have been more aggressive, but, truth was he was lonely and longed for conversation more than he longed for anything else in the world, even food. “I’ll tell you what young lady who knows how to fix cuts, at least how to clean them. I know how to fix bandages, and those half tied bandages you have over your feet are about as much use to you as a fire in the middle of a lake.” Appraising her feet he shook his head again, wondering at her as she took a trip back to the tree and he saw her things, amazing how he had missed that and with her own knife and lifted the mushroom from the back of the tree as she walked back. Looking at the tree where her things were, the tree was a large one and that it was relatively dry around it. Mitch moved over to where her things where and he plopped down onto the ground next to them and turned to regard his bleeding arm.

The arm was fine, it was just a superficial cut, no worse than the many he had over his body over the last two miserable years where he had learned how to fight in a fashion, but he realized as he sat and regarded the odd girl that he had not the killer instinct. A good bandit would have realized those were might shapely hips and prime for a good roll, but no, instead of that he was sitting next to her things offering to fix her bandages and have her fix his arm. What the heck was wrong with him. Removing the tattered shirt that had seen many better days who’s left arm was now stained red with his blood he regarded the cut and he muttered, “That was my last good shirt too.” Placing the shirt down he looked for something to get the stain out and was more worried about it than his freely bleeding arm. After all, his arm would mend itself.

“I don’t have any plantains.” Mitch informed the odd girl, “If I had I wouldn’t waste them on my arm, I’d eat them. You know they are absolutely delicious right? I don’t know what yarrow is, or valerryan or what ever it is that you called it.” Why was he talking to her? Look at the pitiful creature, he really should be focusing on what a good bandit did and instead he smiled at her his own brown eyes warm as he said to her, “Come on, put the tree mushroom down, it will last for ten minutes while I fix those bandages. You know if you don’t tie them properly you may as well not have them because they will not help you any.” Patting the spot next to him on the ground he said, “I don’t have much but I know if I cut the tree behind me just right I’ll get some sap and I’ll use that to bind the bandages. Tree sap is mighty useful you know in a pinch. If you know so much about mushrooms, you should know that, but you in return need to tell me what yarrow is.”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:05 pm 

Fear the plant

Well the knife man apologized and that was something anyway, maybe he heard something. Though if she heard something she would run away. Hide in bushes. Not that that had worked well for her. Her bandages were soaking through. Should have stayed under the tree. The herbs could wait until the shower was over, she could see breaks in the clouds, it wasn't going to last that long. She shuddered at the word fire, and then sighed, "I was in the middle of tying them when..." When she heard him. No. She needed a Human reason. "I thought I saw some catnip and sometimes when I see something I just go grab it before I forget where it is..." She trailed off and stared at her feet. Well it wasn't like they were not going to get muddy and wet now that is was raining. Did it really matter? Her coat was pretty water resistant."This is why I run out of supplies. Getting more supplies."

She laughed at herself and scanned the roadside, "Plantago then. See? This one, the oval leaves are better than the thin ones. At least I think they are. Astringent. Yarrow is the one with the fine leaves, lacy." She wandered further from the shelter of the tree, not having regained her cloak, now distracted with the idea of all the supplies just laying around ungathered. "I could wash your shirt with my things, I'm pretty good at getting blood out. Or do you mean the hole? I might have thread left..." She stuffed a handful of wet leaves into her bag and then opened a different pocket, drifting back toward the tree.

She settled beside him and offered the yarrow and plantain, then realized he wouldn't know what to do if he didn't know what they were. She took them back and began to carefully shred them together. "I suppose I should give it to you..." She sighed sadly. He obviously had no idea how good lion's mane was. "If you get sap on them, they'll be impossible to clean." She rolled her eyes, "I have lots of supplies. Had lots of supplies..." She looked in her bag again, "Just do a square knot on the bandage instead of making it sticky, I thought you claimed to know what you were doing? Or do you think if you can get it to stick to you, you're a professional?" Yes lets insult the human with the big knife. Way to go Kalista. She finished with the yarrow and plantain and reached out to rub them somewhat gently over the cut. It was small. "Obviously you need a better healer, look at all those scars! I would never let a patient go with such a mess."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:30 pm 

“I see.” Mitch said softly to the strange woman, he didn’t have a clue really but he was trying to remain conversational. “Catnip you say. I didn’t see a cat.” Mitch eyes narrowed a little but then he decided he would let it pass when she told him she was looking for supplies. “Supplies, well that explains the tree mushroom … except I don’t know what you can do with it except eat it. They are tasty, not that I make a habit of eating mushrooms I do not recognize, you never know, they might be a toadstool.”

“The blood stain is more what I’m worried about, but if you do have a piece of thread to spare I would be in your debt.” Mitch was not sure what to make of this absolutely odd person as he he watched her driving back towards the tree coming closer to him and then when she settled down next to him and explained what the different plants where and he twisted his hips a little so that she could have an optimal viewing of the markings on his body and then he laughed softly, “Dear, I’m not a professional of anything at all. I just barely survive in this harsh world. Until today, I haven’t seen a healer since my parents died. Right now I’m glad for the attention.” He tensed his arm a little waiting for the prodding as he continued to explain, “You just wash the bandages and get the sap out, why does it matter that it stains the fabric, it’s not like you can expect anything to stay white here. It’s to stop the bleeding, your poultice is what keeps the infection out. The bandage is to keep it there. No?”

Deciding he wanted to know the girls name he continued, “My name is Mitch by the way, what is yours curly hair?” As he waited for her to explain he moved a little bit to examine her feet and he noticed more acutely the burns that littered her body and he said, “And please after you tell me your name explain how such a young thing as you has so many burns?”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:58 pm 

Fear the plant

Kalista informed him regally, "Catnip can be used to reduce fever." And it was delicious and amazing and so was the first thing that came to mind. Probably, like valerian, it was not quite so irresistible to humans. "Lion's mane is the best, they are absolutely delicious. But if you weren't hungry, they are very good for healing. Though I suppose if you knew that your scars wouldn't be so... obvious. You could cook this for a few hours then wash with the water, if you wanted to waste it on that arm." She finished what she was doing to his arm and because she didn't have a bandage that she didn't need, let the remains of the leaves drop. She went back to fishing in her bag and did manage to locate where she'd put a needle and thread. Of course the needle was curved for flesh, but it wasn't like it didn't work on fabric. She handed it over to him. "Sap is worse than blood, I don't have a lot of alcohol to waste on getting it out of fabric, I need to save that to clean my needles and things if something happens."

It was one thing to have a patient to fix. It was another thing to have someone inspecting her too closely. Obviously she'd done something wrong before, but not knowing what it was... well. He was distracted with the needle and thread now. She edged a bit around the tree, away from him, and began to retie her own bandages, without shifting the dressing under them. Several careful and efficient movements later she had them well secured, and knotted properly.

At the question she stared at him, hazel eyes wide. She'd done it again. "Oh. Shoot. I'm so sorry, I have no manners. There was the cut and the lion's mane, and you insulting my capability..." She trailed off and realized she still hadn't answered. "Kalista Komala. I didn't realize burns were restricted to old people?" Anyway, he should talk. She cleared her mind as best she could, taking a few deep, slow breaths. Yes he was young, it wasn't her imagination. He was fine. He was hungry. Right. "I wish I could show you how amazing this was cooked, but I don't have anything to cook on, and that inn up the road probably wouldn't just let me in their kitchen." She regretfully held out the mushroom. She could always hunt later. The fall season was bountiful.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:26 pm 

Of course the crazy thing thought he had insulted her, he was trying to be a gentleman but then he realized that this girl was completely off her rocker. Deciding he liked the quirkiness as he regarded her again at her five foot maybe an inch as her hazel eyes regarded him, proceeded to tell him that she didn’t have a lot of alcohol and how to tie a knot in the right way and then move over and like an acrobat resettle her bandages. Was the wench completely out of her cotton picking mind? Finally she introduced herself and Mitch took a moment and he said to her, “Hello Kalista Komala.”

Introduction done he responded to her next query, “No, however typically people who are burnt as much as you are aren’t resupplying themselves with supplies. I must say especially on their own in these treacherous woods. Although, I must admit, you do know the local flora and fauna quite well.” He looked at the girl and he continued, “Do you eat meat, or are you a vegetarian.” Having had a little experience with the insane healer type, Mitch was trying to be considerate. “I have eaten tree mushrooms before, this one in particular is, I agree, delicious. I could make a fire and we could roast it, or we could find a nice inn and eat there. I … will treat you if for nothing else then having someone generous enough to look at the minor scratch on my arm. If you are wanting something with meat, I am not adverse to catching a little something to roast with the mushrooms.”

A little smile creeped up onto his lip as Mitch said, “Or if you’re not wanting to camp out we could head to an inn, I believe we are maybe an hour or two away .. and I could treat you to a cooked meal. The choice is really up to you, Kalista Komala. That’s quite a mouthful by the way, do you have a shorter form than that. I suppose the natural contraction would be Kalis?” Mitch guessed not knowing at all what a woman would pick. “You also do realize that this area is infested with bandits, they would take a particular liking to a little thing like you.” Heck he should but she was a total fruit loop, but it would be nice to have a friend that was loopy.

While he waited for her to respond he looked around and sniffed the air, he knew he could smell something else near by but he knew it was not a predator, definitely a … rabbit or a deer either would do wonderfully, he thought, for an evening meal and he licked his lips as he considered the options before him but then he realized he was being polite and he focused back on Kalista and waited for her to respond with what ever craziness that would be out of left field. Seriously. Did he always attract the crazy ones?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:11 am 

Fear the plant

Kalista was quiet for a moment, then admitted, "My house burned down. I don't really have a choice. Yes I eat meat." She mostly ate meat in fact, but on the acting like a human front she was pretty sure that wasn't a normal statement. She leaned back against the tree and considered him, "Most people won't hurt a healer." That was a good enough reason to be comfortable in the woods wasn't it? She thought it was. There now he knew why she was injured and didn't have anything to cook with and... why did she tell him her real name? What was wrong with her? She was stupid with exhaustion and stress. That was her excuse and she was sticking to it.

"Well it's a mouthful because you keep saying my last name. Kalista is not that long." She looked unenthusiastically down the wet and puddly road and then supposing her having said 'the inn up the road' was not detailed enough admitted, "There's an inn about a five minute walk away. I don't think you need to catch anything. If you don't want to." She supposed he had some money if he was offering to buy her food. She tried to think of a way to get out of that gracefully and came up with exactly nothing. So she didn't really answer that part, she just told him, "I am supposed to help people. That's the entirety of my duties. Or it was." She rubbed at her forehead, as if it would help her think. She'd traveled a long way, but it just didn't feel like it was far enough. Just keep moving then. Once the rain let up.

There he was with treacherous woods and now going on about bandits. Was he trying to scare her? "I don't see anyone here except you." And she wasn't feeling particularly threatened by him anymore, even if he did have a big knife. Maybe she was just too tired to be sensible. He was sniffing the air now, that was odd for a human wasn't it? Could he smell the deer? Deer definitely had a strong smell, unmistakable. Kind of like a horse or a cow, but not quite the same. Probably a bed down site on the ridge, but she didn't bother much with deer. They were kind of.. big.

PostThis post was deleted by Eferhilda on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:31 pm.
Reason: OOC in IC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:35 am 

“The inn is only five minutes away, and yet you’re out here in the rain?” Mitch laughed softly as he looked at the curly haired woman and he took a moment to sober up before he continued, “If you’re supposed to help people, you can help my loneliness healer Kalista, and share a meal with me. I will be paying and it would be wonderful to have a wholesome cooked meal. There are deer here, but I’ll hunt them another day.”

“As to no one attacking you as you’re a healer, alas, that is rather naïve my dear. Most people wouldn’t bother to find out what you do as a profession, Kalista, most would be thinking of how precisely a pretty girl like you would look without clothes.” Standing up Mitch moved towards the dry pile and he said to the woman, “As you have such sore feet that need bandages, I’ll be delighted to carry your packs for you, especially as they are now so full of herbs and mushrooms.”

Kalista was regarded for a few more moments before he looked back at her packs and he wondered what the odd woman was doing in this foul weather, five minutes from an inn and he didn’t smell cooking. Mitch was finding that it was just getting odder and odder and he then turned to regard the five foot curly hair and he narrowed his eyes just a fraction as he finally iterated, “You are more than you appear healer, and I look forward to you explaining over your up coming dinner a little about you. After all, you owe me for scaring me half out of my mind.”

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:57 am 

Fear the plant

"My house burned down, I don't have any money. Unless someone in the Inn is sick..." She trailed off and sighed, "Anyway I'm running low on supplies because really everything was in my house so I need to work." Still not able to imagine a way out of his invitation Kalista sighed and gave up, "Thank you."

Kalista tilted her head to the side and then with a slightly wicked grin, reached out, and poked him very firmly. In a pressure point. Striking right where the nerves were most sensitive. "People don't bother healers for a reason." She supposed she could have made his arm go numb, but maybe she'd find something for him to carry on the way there. You never knew. She resettled her collection bag, draped her patched cloak over herself and the bag and shook her head firmly. "No thank you." There was no way she was giving him her single bag, he'd probably bruise the mushrooms. She wandered to the roadside and quickly gathered some of the the valerian that he hadn't trampled.

"It's not my fault you were sneaking around the bushes while I was collecting. I get excited if I find something good." She glanced at him over she shoulder, settled her collection and began walking slowly toward the inn. Slowly because her feet were really the worst of the burns and walking was... pretty painful. She hadn't been moving too far from that tree for more than its shelter. Still, she might as well get this dinner over with. Maybe she would hear about someone who could use her services. Plus the road wasn't that huge, maybe the Inn wasn't too busy and noisy and it would all be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:43 am 

After he was poked Mitch rubbed the spot and he laughed softly and decided he was not going to tell her that she wouldn’t have the use of her hands. Some women were just too stupid to be told the right thing, but he liked that she was spunky. Mitch also liked that she agreed to food but didn’t like that she wouldn’t let him take her bag. Watching her limp with those burns and bandages made him wince, he knew how painful burns were from personal experience and he licked his lips lightly before he finally spoke to her. “Kalista, you’re breaking my sense of chivalry. It is painful for me to see you walk like that, why don’t we just stay here by the tree. I’ll gather the things you need for a fire and you prepare that delicious tree mushroom. I’ll catch us a deer or a rabbit, and we’ll use the herbs you were talking about. I don’t know about the healing properties but I do know they add a great sense to the flavor.”

Mitch then paused, letting her decide what Kalista wanted to do and he decided to instead focus on the pitiful woman, she was the oddest woman he had ever met, but he had not met many except for a whore or two and those were for … other things, he didn’t need to talk just learn how to rut in such a way that he got a discount. No, he had absolutely no idea how to interact with a -normal- person never mind this fruit loop. Mitch decided the fruit loop was fun though so he smiled at her just a little bit as he waited for her to make her mind up, if she decided on the inn he would find a way for her to at least carry her bag, but then again she was stubborn… and darn it all his ribs still hurt where she poked him and he grudgingly admitted, “You’re right about the pokin though, goodness that hurt.”

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:40 am 

Fear the plant

Kalista stopped to give Mitch an annoyed look. It wasn't like there was any other way to get from place to place. He was the one vibrating to get food and insisting he had to feed her. In public. With people. Okay other people, because technically he was a person. She took a calming breath. "I have to find a new place to settle before winter. I can't just spend my life sitting under a tree. I'd be moving on anyway." It was pretty horrible, but it was a horrible she was used to and she'd continue to do her best to speed things along. She wasn't like her grandfather though, she mostly relied on medicines. She didn't have any great power.

"I'm not going to stand in the mud and argue with you." She continued her slow movement down the road. Now that he'd forced her on the way she was determined. Though it would be hard to stop at the Inn, it was so close. It did seem like a waste of effort to stop there. Of course she was sure in five minutes she'd be happy to stop walking, but that really set a bad precedent for how far away she could manage to get.

Kalista stopped when he mentioned his pain. She sighed, regretting poking him. "Oh fine, come here a moment. I'll fix it, then you can put your shirt back on. You buy me dinner and I'll wash your shirt." She gave him a smile, peace. It seemed fair, though she didn't actually want him to buy her dinner or wash things right now. If she was going to stop she should make good use of the time though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:43 pm 

“Deal.” Mitch informed Kalista. Taking the shirt back he turned it a little bit and he saw the brown stain from where the blood had dried and he put the thing over his head and winced. It did not smell good at all, but at least the rain would take care of some of the smell. “You should at least let me be a gentleman and carry your bag.” Arm extended as he walked, he didn’t really expect that Kalista would give it to him, but he had to be noble, girls liked a self-sacrificing man. That’s what the books said at least, he had not the faintest idea how to deal with one except his now deceased mother and the ones whom were paid to like you.

Mitch looked up to see the beautiful scenery before him and it wasn’t even a minute before the curve of the road allowed to see the inn that was less than half a mile away in the distance, the lights were lit and there was smoke coming from the chimney. The thing that pleased Mitch the most though was the assault of cooking food on his senses, he knew that there was pork or boar on the menu. The crackling pig skin permeated the air and he said to Kalista, “I love that smell,” He lifted his right hand to indicate the inn, “Cooking bacon is one of the memories I have of my mother’s cooking and how much I loved it in the morning broken into my ground corn meal porridge.”

Watching the inn, the one thing Mitch did notice was there was a distinct tingle to it against his eyes and he turned his head a moment as he sniffed and looked back to Kalista and he said to her, “You know I’ve walked this path many times and didn’t ever notice the inn.” Mitch gaze returned to the building that was coming upon them and he almost took a double take as the fat child he saw in the distance had a beard all the way down to his waist and lines on his cheeks, not wanting to appear ignorant or uncouth in front of Kalista he pretended it was normal but then when the slender brunette woman pulled his far too pretty hair off her ears and he saw the sharp point he couldn’t help but stare as the woman tied the hair and the tips of her ears behind a bandana. Luckily they were far away and hopefully Kalista didn’t notice his ignorance.

The dwarf and elf disappeared after a moment, and Mitch didn't pay much attention more as he then turned to Kalista and watched her face, to see if she saw anything unrecognizable. Mitch shrugged and returned his gaze to the road, he knew that she was pandering to him, though why she was pandering was something he didn't know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:53 pm 

Fear the plant

Kalista cast him a doubtful look, "It has a few healing supplies and a couple leaves, it's not exactly heavy." It was the only thing she had left because she'd left it in the blueberry patch when Jordan came with the cut in his arm. Mitch seemed pretty harmless, but she couldn't bring herself to let it go. Anyway, it was sadly light. Panic began to fill her again and she tried to take deep breaths. She would figure it out. Lots of things she could gather before winter. If she had to, she could probably even survive a winter outside. Just... farther away.

Her nose wrinkled, "I can't stand bacon, it's so salty." Fresh meat. Only way to eat it. She knew the rule though so reluctantly she added, "I never knew my mother, I grew up with my grandfather. He was a very powerful healer." She sighed softly, knowing very powerful was never going to describe her. She knew it took much energy and dedication, but still to have the option... she would always envy that.

She watched a pair of people come out of the inn and then walk away. "No? Maybe it's newly built then. I've never been here before." She also didn't really intend to stay or return. Maybe she'd stop running if she hit an ocean. Or a really awful mountain range. Not that the pained hobbling she was confined to now could be called running.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:24 pm 

“When you are poor.” Mitch explained to Kalista, “You do not have the choice to have anything but salted meat. You see, salt preserves it and allows it to be set up and sold to commoners like my family. Bless me.” There was a deep hmm as he considered asking her about her grandfather but declined as he said to Kalista, “After we have the meal at the inn, I would find a wagon for you and I. I am tired of walking.” The truth was, in a wagon, Mitch could hide away from potential complications; who was going to look for a bandit in a respectable wagon. “I would hire as a guard, but…” Mitch paused and looked at Kalista and he said softly, “I could never do it without having you with me. No one would hire me on my own as they would assume I’m just there to rob them, but if I had you with.”

Mitch stopped, then apologized, “I’m sorry, Kalista, I was just dreaming of being out of the woods and by the sea. I always wanted to see it and they say the winter by the sea .. it’s less likely to snow and the food is fantastic. I am looking forward to trying fish. I never have, sorry. I know after our meal at the inn, you will be gone to do what ever healers do. Please forgive my presumption.”

Reaching the inn entrance he turned his hand to the door and he opened I, but waited for Kalista to lead in before him, his nose still catching the wonderful scents and he knew that at least for the next hour he would be a normal man, with a pretty (if very odd) girl .. and it felt good to have the sense of normalcy about it. What a strange feeling, he had to admit.

Eyes were adjusting as he looked into the building and the inn was bustling with all sorts of life and different types of humanity, he hadn’t recognized any of them really except the dwarves and elves, he had no idea what the grey man was that was the same size of the dwarves but no beards and much more slender. He was glad that Kalista was going in first, she would know more than him… he had never seen the insides of an inn such as this before.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:27 am 

Fear the plant

Kalista pondered that, "Some lands they do stop people from hunting, don't they?" She had lived by a very small town. They could always hunt if they wanted, and her family were... good hunters. After the fire she didn't remember how long she'd run. Until she collapsed. Fear was greater than pain. She ran her fingers over the strap of her bag and shivered.

Fish... she loved fish. "You never had a brooke trout?" Now that seemed crazy to her. She didn't want to even think about the rest of his rambling. It seemed too crazy to her. Like she was to what? Pretend to be his wife? All she knew about him was he liked salted meat and owned a really big knife. He also talked a lot, but that was men for you. They always claimed women went on because girls liked to give details, but rambled on themselves. She shook her head, "I'll help you clean up, maybe you can get hired then."

Why in the world she offered that she had no idea. It wasn't like he could make her pretend to be his wife and travel with him. That... it wasn't like her feeling kind of obligated to share a meal. She stopped when they reached the Inn. She stared at the door for a long moment. Then she realized that she was looking crazy again and forced herself to hobble forward.

It was awful. Worse than she's expected outside of a town. There were so many people inside. She could hardly breathe. She couldn't make herself go forward. She tried, she tried to convince herself to look normal and not just stand there, but her heart was beating so hard she couldn't hear her own thoughts. Kalista began to tremble, her hands going white knuckled on the strap of her bag as she stared in horror at the numerous patrons of the Inn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:14 pm 

Mitch didn’t miss the shivering at all. “Okay bad idea.” Sliding his arm around Kalista he moved her back and said to her, “You’re a druid or one of those people that can’t handle too many people.” Women are so strange, why don’t they just say what they wanted instead of putting up brave fronts, “Come on..” Coral tried to guide her back to a place away from all the humanity and he would find a nice big tree and he would lower her down so that her back was against it.

Sitting down next to her after he had her put down he said to Kalista, “Now Kalista, once I’m sure you’re calm I’ll go into the inn and bring you the dinner I promised.” He didn’t know why he was being nice to this strange woman. However, she was his ticket out of here. Maybe if he was nice to her she’d get him away from this dark place, and his life of crime and banditry.

Turning his head up he looked and he saw the skies were slackening. The rain was just a drizzle and he smiled as he let himself taste the strange water and then he looked back to Kalista and he touched his lips with his finger tip and then said, “Promise me that you’ll stay here so I don’t waste my money.”