All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dionaea
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:26 am 

Fear the plant

Blog: View Blog (0)

Kalista jumped when Mitch touched her, but she didn't fight him as he pulled her back out the door. He even came up with a good reason for her behavior on his own. She hadn't known that it was a thing that some people couldn't stand being around too many others. She figured that was her own oddity. It was wonderful news. Now she could just wave her hand and say, 'oh I'm one of those people' and not have to think of ways to escape. Not that she was a druid. Though perhaps some of her talents crossed over. She sat down against the tree, dry and out of sight, and after a few moments felt like she could breathe again.

She looked over at Mitch and then looked down at the ground and said softly, "Sorry, we're not in a town or anything, I didn't think that there would be so many people in there. I'm not used to seeing... people I don't know." Amazing how many of them were not human too. She'd traveled farther than she'd thought. Or her village had been more isolated than she thought. Maybe both.

Watching Mitch stand in the light rain and touch his lips like he'd never known the sky could do that, it occurred to Kalista he was so odd she probably didn't have to worry as much about seeming normal. That was a relaxing enough thought that she laughed quietly and nodded, "All right, I promise I will remain here for now. If you get distracted though, I'm not sitting here waiting for breakfast."

When she spoke it did occur to her that it would be better if he got distracted. Got himself a room and a bath and one of the women in the inn to wash his shirts. Well she could use that argument after dinner if he tried to pull her into his plans again. Now that she didn't have to face people to get it, she was excited for a warm dinner cooked by someone else in a real oven.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:18 pm 

Not entirely convinced that Kalista would stay put like she said, Mitch moved back to the inn with as much speed as he could muster. The inn was a blur to his mind, he remembered that the innkeeper had recommended the lamb stew and a fish he had never heard about called trout and when both were paid for, for a lot less than he thought he would have to pay he got the kettle and then he took a third kettle filled with vegetables. Never having tried roasted beetroot he thought Kalista might like it, it looked purple. Who knew that vegetables came in purple! The strangest thing he had ever seen. Ordering a blanket as well he only spent a silver for the whole lot.

Proud of himself with his purchases he thought about what he was going to do with the odd girl, she was going to be very useful. Kalista was so odd that no one would pay him the slightest bit of attention and they would keep up with her and let him operate with variable freedom and he could pass off his ignorance as she would make it so much easier for him. Yes, he was going to find a way to keep the druid girl in line. Not really sure what she was, he knew that she was just the meal ticket he needed.

Less than thirty minutes had passed when he headed back to where he expected to find Kalista. Mitch’s eyes moving left and right quickly to make sure that he didn’t miss anything at all. Mitch looked back up to the rain and he smiled it was slackening off for sure it should be dry in the morning. Yes, he’d have to keep an eye on the strange woman.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:36 am 

Fear the plant

Kalista wasn't in the exact same spot. Close enough though, since she'd returned to sitting under the tree and waiting. There had been time to unpack everything and consider what she was left with and pack it better again. Without a place to dry herbs and get more bottles and some other supplies it would be difficult to save anything new, so there was even little point looking around. Sad day to wish someone had a fever or half chopped off their own leg cutting wood. It was also sad it had taken so little time to organize what was left. Honestly she'd got up to look for firewood in an attempt to be more useful, but her feet hurt and she was tired of walking. So she'd given up and settled down again. Why not rest? All she felt was.. uneasy. It was not unmanageable. She was still and quiet now, almost invisible wearing her patched brown cloak.

She'd expected Mitch to bring some type of pies or baked goods that were made to be portable. Instead he came hauling three kettles. Well... those were useful but was he crazy? She grinned and shook her head. At least they weren't too far from the inn so he could return them later.

So. Be nice Kalista. Remember what talking to people is like. You used to talk to your grandfather all the time before he died. She called softly, "Welcome back Mitch. That was fast." She cut herself off before she mentioned the scent. How far away was a human supposed to smell something? Too many missing details, she'd have to watch. She tried to think of something else to say that wasn't an offer to help, which she was sure would annoy him. Strong young males must never be helped. Unless they had a cold or something. The thought made her smile, though she couldn't come up with more to say to him at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:43 am 

“Not that fast.” Mitch smiled a little at Kalista; moving over to where she was settled he saw her feeble attempt to gather wood for a fire and the look of misery that touched her features. There was something just a little off about the way Kalista responded to things, but he figured it was her Druid self or something like that. Pleased that she had settled down and not run away, Mitch didn’t say much else as he lowered down with the three kettles and he said to her.

With a slight smile he arranged everything to his satisfaction before he addressed the odd woman again, “I’ve got some fish to try, as I’ve never had it and lamb which I have. Also a weird vegetable called beetroot, it is purple.” Wrinkling his nose he then grinned, “I’ve never heard of a purple food before, but the inn keeper says it is delicious, and it smells delicious, so I am leaning to the fact that he is right.” Then he handed the blanket over to Kalista, “The blanket is for you, it’s waterproofed so it should hold up to this foul weather and you look like you need it.”

Truth was that strange female looked absolutely miserable, he wasn’t going to let her escape. No, not yet, she was going to be his ticket out of this place. The feeling that her own strangeness would make people forget about him grew stronger as he studied her, she was giving off a feeling of something, but then she smiled and Mitch found that was all he needed. “Kalista, after we eat... I want to ask you a couple of questions if I may?”

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:25 pm 

Fear the plant

Kalista watched patently as Mitch settled things to his satisfaction. He seemed hungrier than she was. Teenage boys always did. It made her grin again. "Fish is my favourite. My grandfather and I lived by a stream and I'm pretty sure he built the house there just so he could fish when he wasn't working." She was about to reach for that kettle when he handed her the blanket. She blinked at it. "I do?" She thought her cloak was working fine. She'd just forgot to put it on for a bit when she'd had that bit of a panic attack. She never got cold very easily. Did people? People probably did. So she quickly shifted the blanket around her shoulders and said, "Thank you." More supplies for healing would have been a lot more useful. Waterproof fabric couldn't even make dressing.

Then something else occurred to her and she gave him a wary look, "You can have it back when you go. I don't have anything to give you for it." And she wasn't going along with any idea that came out of the brain of a teenage boy. Seriously. She didn't know if he was nice, or if he was trying to make her go along with his ridiculous plan. He was a terrible companion, there was no way she was going to be able to figure out what was normal watching him.

Her shoulders under the blanket rose and fell enough to shift the blanket slightly. "You can ask what you want." He already did ask her name and how she got burned. He could ask whatever he wanted. She did not feel like she had to answer. It did make her curious what he wanted to know. Naturally she was now going to spend the entire meal coming up with possibilities... and how to answer them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 pm 

“Okay.” Mitch said as he handed Kalista the kettle containing the fish and sliding down onto his spot he said, “I think we should make a list of things that you need to be a healer and we should go and get them, but that isn’t a question.” Lifting his own kettle he took a wooden spoon and he lowered down and sniffed it and he mmmed and he loved it as he took a bite and chewing on it slowly he closed his eyes and he said to the girl. “I don’t know how they cook like that, but I can’t. I don’t think I would even begin to know where to try.”

Watching Kalista again he took her into his senses, he had always trusted them when he was working on being a good bandit and there was something just off about her responses and after a few moments he said to her, “You don’t really care about the cold, you just forget to put your cloak on sometimes.” Again it wasn’t a question as he thought for a few moments and he finally did ask a question, “What do you want to accomplish? I told you that I wanted to escape this place. I know I can’t do it without you, but I don’t think you want to come with me.”

Almost hitting himself in the forehead as he said that, surely he knew better to put a girl on the spot like that but it was too late and Mitch decided that he was better to let the cards play as they would and he thought about that for a moment, would Kalista be interested in learning how to play poker, she had such off reactions that no one would be able to read her. Narrowing his eyes just a fraction as he considered this, his hand lifting to the bristles on his face he winced, he really did have to get rid of that darn beard it really made his face itch. Mitch understood that you didn’t shave it as it required to keep a clean blade that cost money, but he thought about it and decided that the sharp blade would be something Kalista could use, and he asked, “Could you use a sharp knife, I was thinking of getting one so I could shave.”

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:51 am 

I have returned

Arthur Haslick Vance sat at the small table in the corner of the tavern, listening carefully to the dwarf as he told him about how he could barely sleep every night for the nightmares, and woke up every morning with a terrible pain in his back. The elf who sat next to him gave a consistent look of concern, occasionally glancing at Arthur with a mix of hope, suspicion, and curiosity. As Arthur listened, he held his right hand up to his mouth in a loose fist like shape, knuckle of the pointer finger placed upon a outstretched lower lip, left hand holding right elbow where it hovered just shy of the table. Occasionally he'd lower his thumb to stroke the small goatee of gold he grew, often accented by a low hm of thought. And as the dwarf told him all the many pains that ill'ed his body, he thought to himself; mischief, disease, or stress.

The dwarf didn't have the slightest bit of magic upon him, not even a slight dust of magical aura left when one comes in contact with a magical creature, so imps where likely not the cause of his grief. And he was a traveler without spawn, so a child was most likely not placing stones under his cot. While pains and night terrors where unfortunate, any disease that would cause them would be accompanied by other signs. As no such symptoms where present, that was also not to blame. Which left stress, likely from having to constantly travel, deal with market prices, possibly courting the elf depending on specifics. Yes, stress was the most likely culprit, but such problems where much harder to fix. However, relieving its symptoms was possible.

"I believe that I can help you." Arthur stated in a deep, authoritative tone. The dwarf's face lit in relief, the elf's grew in suspicion. "I can see the aura of a dark spirit about you, for what reason I can not tell, but it is weak so repelling it will not be difficult." Arthur lowered his left hand to the bag at his side, right hand now stroking goatee. He reached in and pulled out a small jar with a light red liquid, a flower floating upon the surface.
"This potion will be able to chase away the dark spirit. To use it you must draw a bath of hot water, place the potion into the water. Wait a span of 1 minute and then enter. Stay in the water for a span of 30." Arthur then gestured to the elf. "Tell me, what are his sleeping accommodations like?"
After a pause the elf responded. "We sleep in our wagon, on a mat of straw." Arthur stroked his chin again, and continued instructing. "When he is finished with the water, place the mat into it, leave it there also for a span of thirty, then dry it out near a fire on in a warm sun. The weather is to clear tomorrow, so if you can withstand one more night, I suggest following my instructions then."

It was at this time the tavern door entered, as Arthur's eyes glanced at the door his eyebrow raised in interest. The girl who stood in the door was covered in magic, the man beside her only slightly brushed with it.
"And one final word of wisdom," Arthur said to the dwarf, who stop part way through grabbing the jar from the table, "such spirits often attach themselves to those who are unhappy in life, feeding off their misery. Search you're life for what may be causing such despair, and seek to cure it." While the dwarf simply nodded, but the elf's eyes narrowed at Arthur. The dwarf placed a silver coin upon the table, and rushed off to order himself a bath. But as the elf moved to follow, Arthur said "Wait," quietly so the dwarf would not hear. Motioning the elf to lean in closer Arthur whispered into her ear, his voice now a much high, slier tone. "If you're worried about him 'curing' you from his life, try massaging his back whilst he bathes, and apply some of the potion to your skin." The elf gave him a loathsome glare, but she nodded. "And don't forget. When all else fails, use you're feminine charm." Arthur said with a wink. As the elf walked away, Arthur stood slowly, all air of wit gone, his mouth in a thoughtful scowl.

He walked to the door, stepping outside into the slowly lessening rain. As he looked around he saw he stream of magical dust, leading off towards a large tree. He slowly towards the tree muttering a soft hunters prayer forgotten language to himself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:31 am 

Fear the plant

Kalista gave Mitch a smile that was almost like love when he handed her the right kettle. In honesty it was love. Love of fish. She settled down to eat happily. Happy with Mitch too since he was a young man and seemed really hungry, yet he was eating slowly and with fair politeness. "I like cooking." She strongly suppressed the overwhelming urge to offer to cook for him. That would imply they were going to travel together and would see each other more after today. So she would not think about more supplies, or cooking or anything else. It was safer to be alone until she could sort out how she'd been betrayed.

"If you think that Mitch, why did you buy me a weatherproof blanket?" She continued her meal, eating as neatly and politely as possible sitting on the ground under a tree. "I think it is odd you insist you need me, since you just met me. Also that is a road." She pointed to illustrate and then blinked at the large man walking toward them. No, it was a road. People used roads. Breathe. The man was simply leaving the inn and walking down the road. That was normal. Everything was fine. She shivered and pulled her blanket closer.

She was talking. Right. She repeated a bit less strongly, "That is a road, people use it to go places. I see nothing trapping you. You can walk on down it in any direction you like. You don't need me, or anyone to do that." She didn't take another bite, just hung tightly to the blanket over her shoulders tried not to shiver again. Tried not to watch the man. Walking on a road was normal. To distract herself, she actually sunk to answering Mitch's question. "I want to find a village that needs a healer. Somewhere new. Somewhere I don't see my grandfather's touch in each thing." Somewhere her people were unknown instead of rarely seen.

"Your large knife is not sharp?" Having just rearranged her bag she knew the contents well and shrugged slightly, "For myself it is a less urgent need. I have a scalpel that is still sharp. I don't.. use it often." Kalista didn't know why she told him. No she knew. It was because that man was close now and that man was looking at them. Her fingers closed on her bag, her entire body tense. She could get used to new people, but two in one day? Maybe he just wanted directions. That was normal. Maybe Mitch bought the last fish and he wanted to beat him up. That was odd, but so were humans. She tried to remember to breathe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:43 pm 

Mitch watched Kalista for a moment and he considered his words carefully, “I got the blanket for you as such a fabulous healer and it’s waterproof so that when people bleed on it, it will clean. The other advantage is that the weather is horrible and it will keep you dry .. a lot more so than the cloak.” Mitch lowered down his kettle and he turned around to look for some grass to clean it out when he saw Arthur heading in their general direction, Mitch had thought he had noticed him talking to that elf and dwarf when he was getting the food. A thief probably, and Mitch would be ready … after all a good bandit such as himself would take advantage of the situation with two young travelers.

Moving back to where he was sitting, Mitch slipped his hands down to his bow, ready to draw it if the need arose. Eyes focused on the approaching blonde man whom if Mitch considered looked more like a holy man than he did a fighter, wire framed and looking like a gust of wind would blow him over. The blonde goatee was soon noticed and Mitch turned his head a fraction to the side and he answered Kalista, “We’ll find you a village where your grandfather is not, and that will be not here so that means I will have accomplished what I need to do; which is get out of this place.”

To Arthur’s site Mitch would radiate silver with the faint speckles of powder that would be wedged into the silver itself, if there was more ‘flour’ would be very difficult to tell as the bandit’s silver would obscure it. However, his powder would be nothing compared to the radiance that was Kalista.

“You do? Oh that would be wonderful. I have a large knife but it’s too big to shave with but a scalpel would be perfect. I’ll get it from you in a moment or two.” When Arthur came closer he saw the man’s lips move and he tried to read them but he couldn’t make out what the man was saying … probably spell casting. Moving just a little to make sure the bow was ready he told Kalista, “Breathe, Kalista, he’s just a stranger … he doesn’t look like he’s a bandit let’s be friendly. Be ready to hide behind me if he gets … frisky.”

When Arthur would be in ear shot, Mitch called, “Howdy stranger, please do come and join our fire. The weather is most foul, but the warmth is free and good conversation is something a fellow such as I crave. Kalista over here can speak for herself, but she is a wondering healer.”

A healer. No one would mess with a healer right? That was what Mitch hoped, for a healer was universally welcome and he hoped Arthur would associate him with her and not look too closely at him. A healer was one of the true gifts of the universe, one that ended suffering. His suffering in particular, he would use the strange girl to get around the many challenges he would doubtless face in leaving his ancestral home.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:33 pm 

I have returned

As Arthur approached the pair under the tree, practices eyes flashing over them for details. The girl had multiple burns, especially her feet, and the dress she wore showed signs of travel recently. Either she was burned on the road, or she was very desperate to get away from something. Most interesting was her light and powder, both a perfectly clear white. A magical creature of a belief he had never even heard of. Now that was a find, he had to learn of this.
The man was a little less mystery. As he studied the man he realized his own light was silver, a religion Arthur was only vaguely aware of. Two new beliefs in one day, what luck. A multitude of old wounds marked him as some kind man of the wild, the knife he wielded designed for harming men more than animals. But that was in clonflict with his motions towards the woman, not ruff, but soft and gentle. Maybe a bandit who fell for a lady, turning over a new leaf? No, not enough dust. Magical creatures left a thin powder on those they where near, and the man was barely brushed. He had already decided to change, the girl was his screen, someone to help him look more appealing. Likely didn’t even know she was magic. .

So Arthur would play to his tune. Arthur stopped his approach a respectable distance away. Not to far, so he appeared trusting, not to close as to not appear aggressive. “I have been looking for someone to guard me as a traveled through these lands, bandits abound and they have no respect for the gods.” Arthur stated, ignoring the invitation. His face a pompous pout,, chin raised, left eyebrow raised in question. Play the pompous priest, no easier man for a smart one to trick. “I would like to hire you for this task, if you accept it shall be two coppers a day, and your companion will be allowed to rest in my wagon.” Extra emphasis on companion, imply he believes she’s more. Mention bandits for hook, offer money for line, give the lady respite for sinker.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:36 pm 

Fear the plant

Mitch was making himself difficult to argue with. If they walked in the same direction it was not as if she could insist he not walk with her. Well she could try but he seemed like he'd ignore her. Also it seemed rather hostile when he was being nice. "You don't need to find me anything." Speaking of hostile when he was being nice. She took a nervous breath and tried again, "I expect you will go before I find a place."

Kalista was glad Mitch was there to distract her. She muttered at him, "You are a stranger." If he was unfriendly she was not getting behind him, she was getting out of here. Just because she didn't want to walk right now didn't mean she couldn't run on burned feet, which she'd already proven. It made things a lot worse, but she could do it. Her lips curved in a smile when Mitch put stress on her being a healer. As if she hadn't just said that to him and he argued! She'd had to poke him. Perhaps she'd convinced him, or perhaps he argued for fun. Who knew?

She turned to look at Mitch and tried to decide if he looked that tough that people would think he was protecting her. She supposed he didn't look so young as she knew he was, but that was about as far as she got. The man mentioned gods and her head snapped around. She was perfectly still as she stared at the man, not breathing. Finally she realized that was weird and managed a small breath and tried to look normal. It took her a moment to speak, "There Mitch, a good opportunity for you. It was nice meeting you."

She shed the blanket and began to slowly edge away from the men hoping no one was paying attention to the fact that she was leaving now. It wasn't a good hope, but human gods were bad for others. Two steps into her escape she paused. Did human's have gold eyes? No she was positive they did not. That's why she had carefully toned the colour of her own eyes down from their true amber. Then she realized she'd stopped to think when she should have been running. Oops.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 pm 

“No Kalista.” Mitch informed the woman as she acted like she was going to move away and he stepped quickly to catch up, “You need to stay off those feet of yours, come, sit down. You’ve got to give time for your feet to heal.” His attention remained on Kalista as he said to the man, “I think your offer is a most noble and generous one, Sir.”

Negotation, never take the first offer his father had told him... before he was not around anymore, “I would gladly accept it; only if Kalista does and if she does accept it, I must insist that you buy her all the supplies that can be obtained for a reasonable coin and to her specifications. I will remain with you as long as she does, until she finds her village.”

Turning his body to regard the blonde man he shrugged his shoulders, “You see Kalista doesn’t like a lot of people, and I worry that if we went in your caravan that she would be overwhelmed.” Shaking his head he apologized, “I am sorry, I don’t mean to speak for you Kalista, what ever you decide I am good with.”

When he finished his piece, Mitch cursed himself.. /Mitch you idiot, this was a golden opportunity for the freedom you crave/. Then he looked back at Kalista and he shook his head again and decided that he was making the right choice, but why he had no idea but he did like looking at Kalista, she was just that bit off that she was -interesting.-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 pm 

I have returned

Arthur suppressed a small smile at the man's counter offer, not more money but supplies for the lady. For such a short acquaintance he seemed to deeply cared for her, but was he playing the part of concerned partner or does he genuinely care? Maybe the girl's magic had some kind of emotional gravity, or the man could just be desperate for a way out. The girl though was more of a concern, she took a shock when Arthur mentioned gods. Not of fan of deities, he'd need to figure out if it was for all or a specific sect. But that was for later, for now he needed to make sure she didn't slip away. And the man had offered him some fresh bait after all.

"Of course, a healer needs supplies to work her gifts, spirits curse me if I didn't remedy her lack there of." A bit of a risk mentioning spirits in this part of the country, most beliefs here didn't approve. But if the girl disliked gods, spirits may be more her liking. "And I do not travel in a caravan, I have no company but me and my horses. Used to be ruffians would leave a man like I alone, but they seem to become desperate in these times." Arthur softened his tone, less aloof priest more wise mentor. As he spoke he raised his right hand to his chest, pressing his fingers to one of his symbols. A minor god of truth and trust, worshiped by those who dwelled in this land before man, a silent prayer for friendship to help sweeten his words. "If these are you're terms I will happily abide the lady's decision."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:08 pm 

Fear the plant

Kalista frowned at Mitch as he stepped so quickly after her, but she also sighed and took a step back toward him, away form the drip-line of the tree. She did not go so far as to actually get off her feet and sit down.

When he tied her into his bargain she had to fight the temptation to hit him in a spot that would drop him. She was a healer, she should not want to injure people because they were annoying. And what did he mean until she found her village? Had he decided he was moving in with her? Now of course this giant man would be positive he was right about the companion sneer. Her hazel eyes smoldered with anger.

Mitch's method of seeming nice and being terribly bossy put her completely off balance. She didn't like it. The big an seemed to be copying him. Or maybe they were all very nice people and she was crazy. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She didn't care if it looked weird. She was going to be calm and she was going to think. Mitch was slippery, but he didn't give her any bad feelings, outside of annoying her.

So. Travel with people who seemed nice, get a few of the more important supplies, have time to heal fully. It sounded good. She could still run away if it wasn't. Probably. She opened her eyes and moved slowly to the big golden eyed man, tilting her head back and holding out her hand. "You both run ahead of me. I am Kalista. That is Mitch. I am not his companion." She put the same inflection on it the man had. "Well it may be that you are in a hurry, but I would like your name, and at the very least some idea of the direction of your travel and your purpose." She paused an instant and glanced over her shoulder at Mitch, "And I think as kind as he is trying to be, neither of you have a real reason to include myself in your agreement. I am not a... lost kitten." For some reason saying the last made her lips curve, amused.

She quietly willed him to take her hand and be content with her holding on a moment too long. She had been able to bind Mitch's arm, and it had made her fairly confident he was not awful. Mitch just seemed like he was lonely and liked people and had somewhat annoyingly had decided he liked her. It was irksome she was not her grandfather, or rather she had not his level of powers. She had trouble pulling out lies and the feel of a heart if she wasn't very close, preferably touching a person. Not that how the golden-eyed man felt would help her determine what he was. Mitch just seemed content with bargaining her into his job, and wasn't worried at all, but she thus far had no reason to consider Mitch a sensible person. He probably was just excited for more company to talk at.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:46 pm 

Mitch shrugged his shoulders after a moment as he nodded his head in agreement to Arthur’s suggestion. The decision was now with Kalista after all. However when she mentioned he wasn’t her companion he shook his head a moment and he said to Kalista, “Companion doesn’t mean lover, Kalista. Companion means someone that travels with you and shares in experiences, I am most certainly your companion.”

“As to being a lost kitten, no you’re not Kalista, you’re a healer that’s my ticket out of here.” There was a grin as Mitch continued, “Especially if I’m going to be guarding a caravan, you never know what horrors I might encounter and I’ll need a fine healer to make sure I’m patched up and not filling a ditch with my life blood.”

Mitch shushed up when Kalista moved over to hold onto Arthur’s arm and he closed his eyes a moment as he let himself feel the energy around him, he didn’t think the man in front of them was particularly malicious, but then again the greatest evils always appeared like your friend. Wincing he remembered the time he had joined the bandit group and the ‘head’ had taken a liking to one of the village girls.

Mitch looked over to Kalista and he watched the odd woman again and he knew if he didn’t protect her like the lost kitten she was that she’d end up meeting someone that wasn’t as nice as him and she would be used for purposes that were.. basic and he didn’t want that to happen to her, also with her being so naïve to the nature of others.

Arthur closed his hands together and he suddenly wondered why he trusted Arthur so implicitly and as Kali had just pointed out, he didn’t even know the mans name and he was willing to be a travel companion, maybe he was the lost kitten in this. Shaking his head…

To Arthur’s vision there was a flash of the silver of Mitch’s being as some form of ‘angelic’ power was flowing through him and he opened his eyes and he waited. The fear that was brushing through Mitch was gone again and his lips curved into a smile as he waited. This was a conversation for Kalista and Arthur after all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:35 pm 

I have returned

Arthur gave a grandfatherly laugh, apparently the girl was not as interested in the man as he was her. So the mans interest was of his own doing, not the girls magical influence. "Of course, where are my manners today," Arthur said when Kalista asked his name, I am Arthur Haslik Vance." Arthur cast his memory back, to the stream of latent magic Kalista left behind. It had exited to tavern towards the tree, but it had entered the tavern from the North. "As for my destination, I have none. I am travelling south, searching for any soul in need of aid." He had actually came from the south, but as long as they took a different road, there would be no problems.

Arthur was surprised however when the man, Mitch admitted to Kalista being his ticket out of here. Arthur's prayer of friendship must have been particularly potent on him, was his faith a deviant from the old gods? Curious, Arthur would need to ask him too. "You're companion speaks truth, a healer would be of great help along the road. You'd also be able to assist me in aiding the sick and injured, as my task is to seek out those of ill fate, and ease their burdens." Any healer would love such an opportunity, a exceptional platform from which to perform her abilities. And if it made Kalista happy her, companion, would likely be happy too. Arthur accepted the lady's hand, though was curious when she held a little longer than necessary. Maybe she didn't was unaware of human social constructs? Arthur then noticed the concentration of Kalista's magic on her hands. Arthur resisted the urge to pull his hand back, he needed to know about her faith, he had to learn.

He was saved from his shock by another, as Mitch suddenly flashed brightly in his silver light. Power from above surged through the man, what looked like a look of discomfort disappeared and was replaced by a smile. Arthur stopped himself from staring in interest as he was released from Kalista's hand. "I shall be in the stable at two hours past dawn. If you accept, please be there soon after, if not before. Peace be upon you." Placing his hand to the old god's symbol again, he gave another silent prayer, but of a good deal struck. He then departed back to his room, and started calculating how much of his money this pair would cost him. He'd need to take some donations soon, there was no way he'd let such an interesting pair slip through his hands.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:52 am 

Fear the plant

Kalista gave Mitch a speaking glance over her shoulder. Just because she had lived in the woods did not mean that she didn't understand when a word was said in that tone it meant something beyond its meaning alone. "Being something and wishing to be that thing are not the same. Mitch two animals and a wagon are hardly a caravan either. You are being a little dramatic don't you think? Besides I could be a terrible healer and you'd hardly know it."

Not that she was. Terrible that is. She knew she couldn't do anything incredible, but what she could do saved lives. "I am pleased to meet you then, if you seek those in need of aid." His words made more sense to her than Mitch. Mitch seemed to think that something would come down the road and stop him if he didn't travel with her. It was insane and ridiculous. There was a road, you went down it. She considered that and murmured, "South is good."

Her chin stayed tilted up and she watched the man's golden eyes move to Mitch. She didn't let that distract her. Mitch was no doubt doing something insane. They both spoke in the same way. It seemed slippery to her. Perhaps that was normal if they both did it. She reached a place of stillness and found nothing that frightened her there. Not a hunter, not of that kind. Her hand slipped away, leaving only a light dusting behind, and she nodded. "Tomorrow."

Her feet hurt. A step back toward the tree's shelter and she sank down. She wanted to ask Mitch if it was too much to hope he would go sleep in the inn as well, but it took her a while to come up with a way to phrase that without sounding rude. "You could go with him now. I'll meet you then." He was going to say no, she could feel it. Like she'd take back her decision. She should if he was so oddly insistent on staying with her maybe, but she was tired and hurt. It felt like it would take too much energy. She could always run away later. "Or just give me that shirt, you did a terrible job with it. Do you have others that need mending? Or just washing?"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:35 pm 

Mitch didn’t even bother responding to Kalista’s ridiculous request as he moved his hands and he handed her the shirt she was demanding, and he said, “That is actually my best shirt, the rest are a lot worse but that’s the life I have led I suppose.” Watching Arthur leave he said to Kali, “That was an interesting fellow there, Kalista, Arthur Haslik Vance.” Mitch considered his words for a moment and then he continued, “I think he’s going to be interesting whatever happens. Now I do have to take exception at one thing.”

Mitch turned his full attention to Kalista and he said, “You’re not a terrible healer, anyone that is around you for more than a moment knows that you have the green thumb and that your healing abilities will be superior. There are certain things one can tell of a person, like you can tell I’m hard headed and stubborn and am not going to let you leave till we are far gone from this place.” Mitch grinned, “Or that you’re going to get away with running away.”

Mitch paused, “I won’t make you go if you really don’t want to, Kalista, but I want you to understand that if you want to get away from your grandfather, this is the most opportune time to do it, two men.. one ravishingly handsome.. the other tall and blonde will let you establish the life you have dreamed of.”

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:36 pm 

Fear the plant

Kalista sighed and threaded a needle, "Yes, worse shape because they are smelly or ripped? Never mind, you're a disgusting creature, it's probably both. Then you can go find me a stream or go to the inn for a bucket of soapy water or something. I need to clean bandages and dressing so I have some." Hazel eyes glimmered at him with perhaps almost a sense of humor for a moment before she bent her head over the shirt and got to work.

She ignored his stupid overconfidence with ease knowing how fast she could be. No hulking human could catch her. Burns or not. "You couldn't make me do anything Mitch, no matter how you twist words around. He was though, wasn't he? What.. what do you think he is?" Not a hunter, but a priest of a type anyway she thought. Still those golden eyes... Mitch had to have noticed.

"If he wants to help people, I'm happy to travel with him. That is almost as good as finding another village. I want to see new places. South seems nice, it will be warmer if we go far enough. He felt so friendly. Honestly, it's you I have my doubts about." Her lips curved slightly. Was she teasing him? It had taken her almost no time and she handed his shirt back to him, repaired with nearly invisible stitches. "Here, give me the next?"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:39 pm 

“I think he is pretending to be a merchant but is not one.” Mitch informed Kalista as he moved to where he was instructed to. Eye always making sure he could see part of Kalista, she might think she can out run him but he wasn’t going to give her an opportunity. However she was right he did smell, rather ripe.

“I know I can’t make you do anything, that’s why I got to try and convince you with my charming good looks and sweet words. I think he’s probably a priest or maybe a mage. Something to do with magic, he makes the hairs of my arms stand up which is usually a sign of it.” There was a splash as he got into the water up to his feet and lowering down so that he could get the liquid onto his skin and he continued, “I am like that with you always though, so I thought you were a priest too.”

Then he slipped his clothes off and guessed he would just have to trust Kalista and she’d probably make a fool of him, but he was in need of something to remove the stench and taking some of the soap root that was there he started to rub against his skin rapidly and he winced as it stung against his body and he licked his lips as he felt the raw herb burn against him. “Wow. I didn’t realise I was that bad.” He commented as the brown suds washed off his skin, “What do you think he is Kalista?” Mitch asked as he lowered his body so only his head was above water, before standing up and shivering a little as the water wasn’t the warmest, but he did feel a lot better even from the briefest of dips.