All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dionaea
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:04 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

[ The world will develop as the story goes - If you want to join. Join. Just post your character in and I'll get them incorporated within a post or two. ]

Ice cold water fell from the heavens. "God forsaken crap hole." Muttered Mitchaland Arthur Joist, Mitch to his friends of which there were precisely zero. It had been two years, two long miserable hard years since he had awoken to the sound of his father's throat being slit by his mother. Severed the bastard right, he shouldn't have beat her. Unfortunately, the Royal Count's representative had not agreed and Mitch remembered in horror as his mother's head had snapped in the noose.

Mitch had left the village and taken to the life of a bandit, which he had to admit had been a very lucrative one, there was just one pesky problem. The last mark had taken great exception to parting with his wares and had removed all but Mitch's head from their prospective shoulders. Mitch had been lucky, he had been in the bushes taking a leak when the merchant's elite crack force had come. They didn't take anything, which to Mitch's mind was good ... he felt rich with the four silver that rested in his belt buckle, but he knew he had a choice, he could continue the life of banditry, find another crew. Or he could be smart, and find another line of work.

Mitch decided on the latter, and the first thing he was going to do when he got into civilization again was get himself a bath and a proper shave. Lifting his hand to the brown and white scruff that would be otherwise called an exceptionally hairy beard he muttered, "Nineteen years old and you already have grey in your beard. Come on Mitch, keep your wits. Shave, smarten up.. and see if there is a life for you now the Old Count is dead ..."

Now Mitch knew better than to think about a city, no that would not be good. Too many people and he wouldn’t fit in, but a nice inn, to restock supplies … to make himself a man again, that would be excellent. Living in the wilderness, he knew he wasn’t able to face the jungle of a city. As a child he had gone to one and knew enough that he hated it, but cooking that wasn’t just a skewered rabbit over a spit. That was something to look forward to, and he was rich right? Four whole silvers, he hadn’t seen so much money in his entire life!

Picture of Mitch - Thanks to LiberLibelula

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Dionaea
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:24 am 

zzzzz

Kalista was changing the bandages on her feet when she heard someone coming. Her heart beat faster and she could barely breathe. That wasn't good. In fact it was stupid. What would her grandfather think? What did she expect? She'd stopped not far from an Inn. She could smell it. That's why she decided to stop and fix her dress and check on her burns and pretend she wasn't afraid. If she was careful, no one would ever find out again. If she was careful, she would be perfectly fine. People liked people who could help them patch up their wounds or deworm a sheep. She would find a new place to live. Some people to help.

She would not panic. She would talk to anyone who came along and... okay she would smile at whoever... look at them... not hide in the bushes? But the bushes were so close. Her dress was brown, boring. She could totally hide in the bushes. "No, no you won't." But they were right there and no one else was using them for anything, they didn't even have berries, they probably wished they could hide someone. She put her foot on the ground, she set her shoulders straight, though she knew her size was rather underwhealming at just over five feet, and she pushed long curly hair away from her hazel eyes. She was brave. She could do it. Just pretend she was... uhh what was she doing? Nothing she was doing nothing. That would look weird. People didn't just sit on the side of the road for no reason doing nothing.

She hid in the bushes.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:37 am 

Mitch heard the sound of bushes moving and he licked his lips, he was in luck! An animal had trapped itself in them, and although he was sick of wild game; he was far more sick of the gnawing emptiness in his belly. Such opportunities are to be seized upon and he moved towards where the rustling was and he knew that stealth was the key!

Mitch supposed the two years of experience in the field was something and moving to take out a dagger he had resting against his hip he grinned to himself as he lowered down to a crouching position and stayed as still as he could to pinpoint where the animal was trapped in the bushes. Easing off the path as to become one with the woods itself he wondered what it felt like as the bush caught his arm and he tried to ignore the sharp pain as it cut into his flesh just a little. If he moved suddenly the potential supper would be gone in the wind and he couldn’t allow that!

Mitch bit on his lower lip and the pain subsided, releasing the flesh he proceeded to continue stalking moving slowly along the bushes a few feet at a time so not to disturb his potential dinner. Only ten feet from where Kalista was hiding, he stopped and looked around again. However the bushes were thick and it was mostly sound he was hunting by, the faintest hint… and he’d have them, so he waited. Mitch knew the secret of a good hunt, was patience.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:40 am 

zzzzz

The tree she'd been tucked against had sheltered her wonderfully, it was nice and dry. The bushes... were wet. How could she forget it was raining? A person should not get so tied up in obsessing over nothing that they failed to notice something like rain. She could hear the rain. She could feel the rain, icy cold drops working through the protection of her hair and... oh. Her cloak. Yes it was right over there, a few steps from the smelly man. He would absolutely find her. Then he would ask, what are you doing in the bushes? What was she doing in the bushes? She'd had a nice dry spot. She was waiting for the rain to pass. Oh! That's why a normal person would sit on the roadside. Why was her brain so slow? Now she was wet and being found in the bushes was even odder.

A man with a big knife was not exactly comforting. Of course if she tried to run away, she'd probably loose her bandages, and she thought they needed at least one more day and some rest. Like at an inn. Where people went. Well people who didn't hide in bushes. People who had money. Or something to trade. She could wait for the man to go away and think of something to trade at the same time. Except she was getting wetter, and her cloak was right there. He was blind. Okay it was brown too, and kind of patched. Still. Right, lets insult the man with the knife on his lack of finding skills, that'll help things along. He was just a human. A bleeding human.

She noticed from her position that there were valerian growing near the edge of the road. How could she not notice them, the man had trampled them and they smelled... distinctive. She should gather some, that would be very useful. She could think of twenty things to do with it, including wander over and roll in it. No. That would be odd. Humans didn't normally love the scent. Humans also didn't roll in things. Her eyes began to drift, looking to see if there were other prizes near by. There! Right behind the tree she'd been sitting against! A giant lion's mane. She chortled in glee, "Hah I see you!" She opened her collection bag and began to dance over to the mushroom, stopping after a whole one step.

The man. The man with the big knife. Why no she didn't look crazy at all with a leaf or two in her hair, talking to a mushroom. She patted her damp head down, checking for leaves. "Oh. Uh well. That's a big knife. If you're not going to stab me I'm just going to grab my cloak... and that mushroom. Maybe some valerian, I could really use valerian. You could try some yarrow on that. Or plantain. That's everywhere. The cut I mean. I don't have a lot of bandages left though. Well I think I have none left. Unless I lost one in the bottom of the bag. Sometimes that happens. Then I take out all my collections and find a wet, dirty bandage and that does no one any good. I suppose it isn't the worst if you have a good clean dressing." She had to stop talking. Shhh. No more talking. No asking if you sound normal or terrified. Look for a dressing in the side pocket. That looked natural. No wait, go get your cloak. Who stood around in the rain just talking? Not humans. She could do both. Super normal. Done. She rummaged in her bag and wandered back to the tree and she didn't see any dressing left either, but there was her collection knife so she could get that mushroom cleanly, and there were probably more mushrooms around. Well of course there were, but finding useful ones, that was the important part.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:19 am 

Well there went the rabbit on the spit idea. Instead, out of the bushes came a girl with half bandaged feet whom judging by the water saturation of her body had been dry and he must have startled her which is why she had hid. The girl could not have been more than five foot and her once curly hair was matted down with water and it had leaves in it! The crazy thing had jumped up and said, “Hah I see you.” Taking a moment to think on how to respond to her insane chattering he sniffed the air a moment and realized that there was now an odd smell coming from him and looking down at the trampled herbs she must have meant them and then his eyes lifted back to her and he saw the poorly tied bandages on her feet and the burn marks as she danced around the tree. No sign of shoes at least in front of him, he hadn’t noticed as of yet her previous spot and then he looked back at the knife and looking a bit sheepish he remembered he wasn’t a bandit anymore. No he was going to be a respectable member of society. Sliding the blade away he said with a soft grunt, “Sorry.”

Sorry? He never used that word before and maybe it was the disappointment of missing what was a free lunch and he should have been more aggressive, but, truth was he was lonely and longed for conversation more than he longed for anything else in the world, even food. “I’ll tell you what young lady who knows how to fix cuts, at least how to clean them. I know how to fix bandages, and those half tied bandages you have over your feet are about as much use to you as a fire in the middle of a lake.” Appraising her feet he shook his head again, wondering at her as she took a trip back to the tree and he saw her things, amazing how he had missed that and with her own knife and lifted the mushroom from the back of the tree as she walked back. Looking at the tree where her things were, the tree was a large one and that it was relatively dry around it. Mitch moved over to where her things where and he plopped down onto the ground next to them and turned to regard his bleeding arm.

The arm was fine, it was just a superficial cut, no worse than the many he had over his body over the last two miserable years where he had learned how to fight in a fashion, but he realized as he sat and regarded the odd girl that he had not the killer instinct. A good bandit would have realized those were might shapely hips and prime for a good roll, but no, instead of that he was sitting next to her things offering to fix her bandages and have her fix his arm. What the heck was wrong with him. Removing the tattered shirt that had seen many better days who’s left arm was now stained red with his blood he regarded the cut and he muttered, “That was my last good shirt too.” Placing the shirt down he looked for something to get the stain out and was more worried about it than his freely bleeding arm. After all, his arm would mend itself.

“I don’t have any plantains.” Mitch informed the odd girl, “If I had I wouldn’t waste them on my arm, I’d eat them. You know they are absolutely delicious right? I don’t know what yarrow is, or valerryan or what ever it is that you called it.” Why was he talking to her? Look at the pitiful creature, he really should be focusing on what a good bandit did and instead he smiled at her his own brown eyes warm as he said to her, “Come on, put the tree mushroom down, it will last for ten minutes while I fix those bandages. You know if you don’t tie them properly you may as well not have them because they will not help you any.” Patting the spot next to him on the ground he said, “I don’t have much but I know if I cut the tree behind me just right I’ll get some sap and I’ll use that to bind the bandages. Tree sap is mighty useful you know in a pinch. If you know so much about mushrooms, you should know that, but you in return need to tell me what yarrow is.”