All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Midnight
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:35 pm 

eyy, senpai!

Medals: 14
GM of the Month (1) Longest RP (2)
Completed RP (1) Best Entrance (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

The afternoon shift's work day was coming to an end, and Salem was just about ready to head home. The library would be open for at least another shift's worth of time, but what went down then wasn't related to what he had to do. It had been a fairly slow day, so the last 45 minutes or so of his time there consisted mostly of padding it off with shelving a cart of returned books. It was slow, but at least it was getting something done.

As he pushed the cart around and slid books into their proper resting spots, he made plans for the evening. After a check-up on his sister at home, he was off to go watch a movie that had caught his interest. He hadn't done anything just for himself in a while and a movie didn't seem like an unreasonable thing to go for. It didn't start until much later in the evening, though. There were a good few hours to do other things, but exactly what said things would be were unclear.

Oh well, he had time to figure it out. Not like there would be some sudden interruption that took up his entire evening, right? As amusing as the thought was, Salem was fairly confident that he'd manage to get things done at a normal pace. The entire time he was thinking about it, he'd continued to set up books, and by the time he realized he'd set them all up, enough time had passed for his shift to end.

"Huh," He commented absentmindedly. Time had passed faster than he'd realized. Not that he was complaining. After he returned the cart to its original resting spot, he clocked out and pulled on his coat, heading towards the front door as he did so. He didn't have a car, but the walk home wasn't too bad, so he wasn't too bothered by the fact.

Last edited by Eggsy on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

Post subject: Re: Midnight (Shai&Eggs)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:56 pm 

Medals: 3
Longest RP (2) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Joe thought that this would be the perfect time to suddenly interrupt Salem doing whatever he was doing. He knew that Salem's shift ended around this time, and that the library was closing as well. This would be the perfect time to stew up some shenanigans, or just hang out with Salem in general. Obviously, it hadn't crossed Joe's mind that Salem may have been looking forward to anything particular whatsoever.

"Here's Johnny!" Joe exclaimed, opening the library door with considerable force. The door groaned and hit the side of the wall, probably leaving some horrible mark on both the door and the wall. As usual, Joe looked disheveled and kind of dirty. He wore a dark green t-shirt and light khaki pants, both of which looked like they hadn't been washed in a week. Horribly, he wore a pair of yellow and purple checkered shoes. His hair was also horrible, hid bangs nearly covering his eyes. However, nothing could conceal that big smile of his. He carried a big backpack, slung on one shoulder. He paused, briefly, correcting himself. "Jawh, er, Joe-hnny," he finally said, obviously proud of himself. "Hi, Salem," he added with a wave, barging in.

He sat himself down on one of the library chairs and kicked his feet up on one of the desks. He shoved his backpack onto the table and pulled out a CD that had way too many scratches to be in working condition. Or was it? "I'm going to put this on the computers here, Salem, just thought you should know," he said, not looking at Salem, but at the disc. He was spinning it with his fingers. "I have a second one, you could help me install it. It'll be great. No one's here, right?" he eyed the library wearily for a brief second, and then went back to spinning his CD.

He seemed almost nervous, but in a kind of happy sort of way. Probably the sheer amount of caffeine that he had drunk earlier this afternoon. With twitchy fingers he dropped the CD, then picked it up, standing up as he did so. "You're not doing anything important, so, I figured, why not? You won't spoil this for me, right?" he asked with a quick 'I'm your favorite' smile. As if he was worried about someone watching he quickly placed the CD carefully back into its container in his backpack.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:25 pm 

eyy, senpai!

Well, there was the thing that would suddenly interrupt his entire evening. So much for going home after work. After he recovered from the few seconds of temporary blindness brought on by the clusterfuck of colour that Joe was clad in, Salem offered a wrenched smile. He didn't mind Joe's company at all, and in fact enjoyed it most of the time. But good lord that boy could not dress himself if his life depended on it.

"Evening, Joe," Salem replied, removing his hand from his pocket to give his friend a little wave in return. He turned away from the door and strolled over to where he'd decided to plant himself for whatever shenanigans he was planning. And when the CD came out, he eyed it suspiciously. It looked as if it'd had a disagreement with a blender, and he was honestly wondering whether the thing was even functional. But past that point, he wondered what the hell it would do if it was.

The inquiry towards his involvement was not well received, and his pained expression of friendliness dropped into one that was halfway between being baffled and offended at the very prospect of it. "What? No, dude, I work here. I can't risk getting fired." He crossed his arms in a manner that was supposed to be defiant, but was loose and not very convincing. Salem didn't want to put a bunch of what were probably viruses in the library's computers. The internet was shitty enough without a bunch of things clogging the network up. And god forbid if there were popups of dubious worksafe nature.

"What are those things, anyway?" He finally asked. He had his suspicions, but if he could get some more info out of Joe, it'd be easier to straight up tell him he was being a dumb stupid idiot instead of dancing around it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:38 pm 

Joe's smile faltered when Salem started to not want to go right along with what he wanted to do. To further emphasize that he was grumpy, he folded his arms and crossed his legs, stupid shoes crossing over one another. His frowned deepened in a fake sort of way and he rolled his head and whined, "But Saaalem." Suddenly, as if a new wave of enthusiasm had crashed over him, Joe sprang into a normal seating position and twirled the CD in his fingers. "You won't get caught. You won't need the money after we're done here, either, so you can get fired anyway. Logic," he remarked, snapping the fingers on his other hand that wasn't holding the CD repeatedly.

When asked what they were, Joe raised one up with both hands like it was Simba from the Lion King. "This, my fine feathered friend," he said, and suddenly retracted the CD towards his chest, "is spyware. People use the Internet on these library computers for so many things. Too many things, if you ask me, but what I'm interested in are credit cards. Cha-ching and all that good stuff." His eyes still flitted back and forth as if someone was actually interested in what the hell a random kid was doing with a shitty CD. He was so very jittery.

He scrounged through his backpack and brought up a similarly battered CD labeled 'bad rap' in a case, and offered it to Salem. "C'mon, man, just a few, we can take it off before anyone even notices it's on here," he said, trying to tempt Salem by waving the CD back and forth. However, it was a shitty disc and not a piece of meat or a woman, so the effect he was going for was not really working out. As he waggled it for Salem to take, he kind of wiggled his eyebrows in a persuasive manner, however his eyebrow game was weak so he just kind of looked like a huge doofus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:13 pm 

eyy, senpai!

Salem's arms remained crossed, and his frown turned into a look of annoyed skepticism. "And just how is this going to get me enough money to warrant quitting my job? What are you gonna do, get people's reading history?" He was sure that Joe would be able to get much more than just that with whatever ungodly programs were on the disks, but he figured the less impressed he looked, the less likely it was he'd continue pushing in an attempt to get help with his criminal activities.

His attempt was shattered for a moment when he was called feathered. "But I don't have-...No, forget it. You have no idea if this will work or not, and what if we do get caught? Is it worth the trouble? I'd really prefer not to get thrown in jail because a poorly-written spyware program backfired." Ouch, insulting the technical skill. If he actually knew a single damn thing about computers besides 'press buttons to play video games,' it might have been hurtful. But his ignorance when it came to programming things was pretty damned obvious. And if Joe hadn't made it himself, and was instead using some weird third-party spyware market to acquire his questionable disks, the insult was all for naught anyway.

For a few more moments, Salem retained his attempted stance of defiance, but the eyebrow game was just strong enough to make him falter. He tried hard to keep a straight face, but failed miserably at that and let out a frankly embarrassing snorty giggle. "God damn it," He mumbled, reaching out to take the disk's case. He looked it over, still not entirely sure this was a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:37 pm 

Joe eyed Salem eagerly. He knew he had him, like a predatory bird, he had Salem in his weird, old-looking bird feet like he was a small field mouse. 'The raptor dines well tonight,' thought Joe, carrying on the terrible metaphor. By that it meant that all the computers in the library would have spyware on them before the night was out. He ignored all the comments about the program not working. It wasn't his program, anyway. Joe knew absolutely nothing about computers and didn't really care to learn. He handed the 'bad rap' to Salem and did a spin in his spinny library chair before jumping out of it, stumbling because he was a bit dizzy. "To the computers, then, no time to waste! Kick anyone else out of the library if you need to, you look professional and non-threatening enough that they'll listen," he ordered, turning around to face Salem and then flipping back around again to approach the computer.

Joe approached the first computer and turned it on. It responded with a tired whir, like most government computers. However, Joe hadn't had anything but a shared government computer since he had been very young, so he was quite patient with the machine. He let it start up and freeze about three or four times before crouching under the desk and opening the CD drive. It opened with a small click and a green light, and so he inserted the disc and closed the drive. The computer protested at first, and then he heard the quiet rumble of a running disc. The monitor showed that something was downloading, and it occurred to Joe he had little or no idea how to proceed. However, there was no way he was going to let Salem know that.

"So, it should take a little bit of time to download all of this... new software," he said with a shit-eating grin, thinking himself so clever. "That's why I brought two, should've brought three, but I don't have a third friend. You can count for two, though, I guess, you're pretty alright." He gave a thumbs up, to wherever Salem was, but Joe was still looking at the computer so his arm was bent backwards in an awkward way. "Also, since you have money you're responsible for getting dinner delivered to me. I like Chinese; but no lo mein, I had that last week for the first time and it is not authentic. I have more refined tastes." With that, Joe sat in the chair at the computer he was currently downloading bad rap onto, spun around a bit, and then slowed to face Salem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:09 pm 

eyy, senpai!

And like the small field mice that predatory birds were wont to eat, Salem had no chance of escaping Joe's metaphorical gross bird foot grip. "This is an awful idea," Salem thought. "This is an awful idea and I am an idiot for going along with it." But it was far too late to pass it up. He was caught, and was entirely under Joe's will. Not really though. He was just humoring him, and part of him didn't believe the disks would even do a damned thing. He casually strolled over to another computer and sat down at it, waiting for the old, dying machine to start up. The poor thing was probably at least ten years old, judging by the horrible sputtering sounds the fan was making and the horrifically early-2000's OS design.

Salem preferred to use a computer like a normal person, so instead of going under the desk, he just nudged the button to open the disk drive and waited for it to open. It took a moment and needed to be nudged out the rest of the way, but once it was ready to receive the gift of a busted as hell CD, Salem opened the mislabeled container and gently set the spyware-infected disk in. It lined up as one would expect a CD to, and when he pushed in the drive, he put his attention on the screen. There was certainly some sort of effect, but who the hell knew if it would work or not.

"I'm flattered," Salem flatly replied. In his humble opinion, he was worth at least three and a half friends. At least. No matter what sort of dumb bullshit Joe came up with, he wasn't hard to rope into it. "And fine, fine. I know a place that doesn't completely suck. Wanna bring Mary?" He asked. Leaving his sister out of it would've made him feel bad, even if her entire existence was kept fueled by mooching off of him. Salem was far too charitable, honestly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 pm 

Joe was back under the desk tending to the computer again, doing god knows exactly what. When Salem suggested that they invite Mary, Joe perked up and slammed his head against the bottom of the desk. He made an 'uuf' sound and tried to keep himself from cursing. He reached for the chair and hoisted himself up, the other hand that wasn't being used for hoisting firmly planted on the table-wound on his head. Even though he might have just gotten concussed, Joe perked up and said, "Yeah, invite Mary!" in a rather enthused voice. He scrambled up into the chair and removed his hand from his reddish hair, wondering if he'd pierced the skin with the sheer force of impact. Luckily, there was no blood, which meant for him he was 100%.

"The new files will take a long time, anyhow, so, it would be nice to eat real food whilst we wait for the biggest credit card heist this library has ever seen. Plus, Mary's an angel. Bless Mary," he muttered, touching his head experimentally and wincing. Another thought crossed his mind and he was back to not caring about his head wound anymore. "You know, food really does taste better when someone else is paying for it, I've decided." He got up out of the chair experimentally, and then made a face that could best be described as a confused frown.

"Are we going out to the Chinese place or are we ordering carry-out?" Joe asked, already getting his backpack. Take-out or not, they'd still need to get the food somehow. Since none of them owned a car, walking seemed like the best option. "Also, how's Mary going to get here? She's probably sleeping or eating you out of hearth and home right now," he commented with a small smile. He liked Mary, he did, but really all she did was mooch off of her self-supportive brother. Like, get a job. Even Joe had a job. He contributed to society. If he could do it, so could probably every able-bodied human given the opportunity. She had absolutely no excuse.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:52 pm 

eyy, senpai!

The whole table felt the impact from Joe's head, and the resulting sound got a quiet giggle out of Salem. It was confirmed, Salem would be dragging his lazy-ass sister out of bed to actually do something this month. "I'm sure she'd be flattered if you called her that," He joked, leaning back in his chair as he waited for...whatever the disks were supposed to do. If they were going to take long enough to warrant going out and coming back, Salem wasn't too confident in just leaving the computers as-is. Unplugging the monitors tended to be an extraordinarily baffling and unfixable problem for most of the library's attendees, so he'd just tug a few cords loose before they headed off.

Ah, the eternal question of 'for here or to go.' A life-changing decision just about every time it came up. "I think we'll stay there, she needs to actually stay outside for longer than five minutes at a time for once," Salem answered. He preferred the aesthetics of a good restaurant to that of his fairly small living room anyway, and home didn't have unlimited refills. A twelve pack only went so far. "We'll swing by my place and I'll tell her we're going somewhere. Shouldn't be too hard to convince her."

Salem didn't mind Mary's extremely lax lifestyle, really, but it did get hard to pay for two people's lives on his own. Of course his parents were always willing to throw a few month's worth of rent at a time at them when they showed the slightest sign of hardship, but he didn't want to take advantage of them like that. The rent for his apartment was mercifully low compared to the ones with two bedrooms, though. Some extra leg room wasn't worth another 700 dollars a month.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:02 pm 

Joe did likewise and pulled the plug that connected the monitor to the computer out. In a flash, the screen went black and Joe was up and ready to go. He put his finger up to his mouth in the universal 'shh' sign and said, "Quiet, I don't want her hearing anything complimentary directed towards her. I fear she might take it as me praising her way of life," he said in a hushed tone. Even though Joe mooched off Salem on the occasion, he did feel bad for him that he had to support two people on one source of income. However, if it were Joe who had the lazy sister, he'd just kick her out so in reality it was all Salem's fault. He dusted off his pants and shirt and made sure he wasn't dying of external or internal hemorraging before he finally said, "Off we go, then, to your place!"

As he was walking through the library door quickly turned, made the little gun hand motion with both of his hands and sort of popped them in Salem's direction. "Where do you live again? I can never remember whether or not you take a left or a right on that street where there was that drive by," he admitted, looking sort of sheepish. Joe had a competent, know-it-all front and it didn't help when he couldn't maintain the front by not knowing something. He slung his backpack over both shoulders, preparing for the trip ahead. He really wished he had a super nice sports car to drive to his friends' houses right about now.

Worriedly, he looked towards the computers. They should be fine, however if a government employee with an ounce of intelligence decided to plug in the monitor, they would be royally boned. However, this was a public library. In DC. There was absolutely no way that it could ever happen. The odds of wining the lottery were higher than that. Besides, he could feel his stomach rumbling and he was entirely too excited for Chinese food to really care about his most devious plan. A one track mind was what Joe had, and that track was heading straight to authentic Chinese cuisine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:21 pm 

eyy, senpai!

"Oh, I'll be sure not to compliment her too much on your behalf." Salem was kidding around, really. Mary wasn't awful, but too much praise went to her head. As they left the library, he adjusted his dumb hipster scarf so it was actually wrapped around his neck and not just hanging over his shoulders like a pseudo-stole. His neck was now fully protected from the very slightly chilly evening air. "And it's to the left, then up a couple streets," He said in response to the question of where he lived.

The walk away wasn't too bad. It took, at the most, about 10 minutes. The post-work traffic wasn't as bad as when morning shifts ended, but it was still cluttered enough to add some extra time to what would've been a very short walk otherwise. Damn people and their cars. How dare they be able to afford something and then use it?

Regardless of the motorized obstacles in their way, they made it to Salem's apartment building with little issue. It was a quaint place, four stories tall and made of brick. Salem opened the door and made his way into the main building, then went to the stairwell. He lived on the northernmost part of the third floor, which had a beautiful view of the opposite room's exterior window. There were at least some other windows facing out over the street.

When they reached his personal dwelling, he unlocked the door and peeked inside. Everything was intact and not on fire, so Mary evidently hadn't caused too much damage. The light was off, though, and the living room was illuminated by the glow of their computer monitor and the sparse sunlight that still peeked over the horizon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 pm 

"Honey, I'm hoooome!" called Joe, passing Salem and looking around his apartment. They had a pretty nice living space, even though there wasn't much space to live in. "And I bought the milk, too, just like you asked," he added, as an afterthought, curiously turning the corner in Salem's house. He realized that he didn't go here very often, so he had absolutely no idea where Mary lived in the house. "Uh, I'll let you find her," he said to Salem, walking back into the first area of the house where he had entered.

He could hear his stomach growling, which meant he was pretty sure other people could too. He grabbed his stomach and shot a pained expression at Salem and called after him, "Hurry, too! I'm positively famished." Because his legs were tired from only walking 10 minutes, Joe found a comfy wall and slouched against the wall, turning his head back so it bumped the wall right where he'd bumped his head before. "Agh, dammit," he cursed, rubbing his head again. He looked down at the shadow he was casting.

"Erg, seeing double," he muttered, pressing the space between his nose and his eyes with a few fingers. He shook his head, trying to get some of the dizziness of the impact to go away so he could not be seeing duplicates of Salem's place. When his vision returned to normal, he looked down at his shadow again. There were two things he realized. One of them was that he wasn't seeing double. The second one was that he only had one shadow, and the other one was terrible and definitely not his. He stood up immediately, frantically backing away from the long, roiling shadow. But as soon as he saw it, it had vanished from sight. "Salem, I think I have a concussion," he whined to Salem regardless of whether he was in the room; Joe was loud enough to be heard from anywhere, feeling the bump forming on his head. "Like a really big concussion."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:09 pm 

eyy, senpai!

Inside the apartment, Mary heard Joe's flamboyant introduction. From around the corner of the wall that made her little alcove in the living room, her head poked out to stare at the boys as they entered the building. "Right here," She said quietly, her hand giving a limp half-wave. She immediately went back into her small personal space, pushing some things on the desk squeezed back there into a drawer. It was a pretty damned small desk, but it fit what was necessary through it and it had that super dumb retractable monitor setup, so when the computer wasn't in use it could be used as a general flat surface for other stuff.

Salem walked over to said alcove, leaning against the wall as he initiated a conversation. "So, we're heading out," He began. Mary's response was of halfhearted interest.

"Neat. Where to?"

"Out to dinner, that Chinese place down the road. The one that doesn't suck."

"Cool, bring me some fortune cookies." Mary didn't plan on going anywhere that night, and figured the others would just be doing things on their own. Typical boy's night out, that sort of deal.

"You're coming with us, go get dressed," Salem replied. He was about to say something else when he heard Joe freaking out, and he immediately went over to make sure he wasn't dying. "We need to go to a hospital? I can't carry you there, we'll probably need to call someone." He sounded quite concerned, and he basically forced Joe to sit in the nearest chair so he didn't fall over and shatter his skull. While that all went down, Mary left the living room to put on something more presentable than flannel pajamas.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:40 am 

Joe looked uncertain when Salem began to speak to him. When he mentioned the word 'hospital', Joe groaned and said, "No, I don't think... we need to call anyone..." He let himself be led to the chair. For a dude with a concussion, he walked rather steadily. He plopped himself down on the chair with an 'umf'. His head hurt, yeah, but was mostly exaggerating about the huge concussion. But what the hell had he just saw? Maybe Salem had just received some giant snakes as pets and just hadn't decided to tell Joe; maybe now wasn't the time to explain such things to him. Joe let out a sigh and cupped his face in his hands. "No, my head just hurts, I think I'll be alright to go out to the restaurant. If I fall into my General Tso's chicken, though, call 9-1-1," he said with a tiny and weak smile.

His heartrate slowed as he decided that he was just being an idiot or that his skull had been smashed in and suddenly he was seeing apparitions. To prove that he was alright, Joe stood up suddenly and did a little twirl. "See, okay? No hospital, just Chinese," he laughed, though it didn't sound wholehearted. Joe hated hospitals more than anything, with the smell of disinfectant layered with old people stink and the ever present, wafting stench of fecal matter. The nurses also left something to be desired. And besides, Joe was hungry. And he was sure as hell not eating hospital food when he had an appetite like this.

Before Salem could argue, Joe drifted down the hall and immediately snatched up his backpack from where he saw the shadow. He eyed the area cautiously, though there was absolutely nothing to be seen. When all seemed well and good enough for Joe, he slung the backpack over his shoulder and called, "Mary! Get your ass in gear, I have a mighty hunger." He sent two thumbs up in Salem's direction, as if that would totally negate the fact that he might have sustained serious head trauma.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:24 pm 

eyy, senpai!

Salem still held a look of concern, but Joe's display of non-acrobatics at least proved he could move around without immediately crumpling into a pile of broken flesh, so it couldn't have been as bad as he initially thought. "Well...Okay, if you're sure. And yeah, don't worry. We'll make sure you don't turn into a vegetable." He was trying to at least help lighten the situation a bit. Concussions were serious, and if it was unclear whether or not Joe had one, Salem would continue to be worried.

From down the hall, Mary responded to Joe's insistence that she speed up. "Calm your tits, I'm coming," She said, opening the bedroom's door a few moments later. At first she'd wondered whether or not she should dress nicely or not, but then she remembered Joe was coming, and his sense of fashion would immediately cancel out the efforts of anyone around him. As a result, she went with a much more simple ensemble of track pants and hoodie, along with some very dull-looking shoes. It wasn't anywhere near as horrendous as Joe's outfit, but it certainly wasn't fashionable by any means. More a 'lazing around on the weekend' outfit than a 'going out to a restaurant with friends' one.

"Ready when you are," She said, giving Salem's arm a slight nudge to get him out of his current state of freaking out internally. When he was zapped back to reality by the motion, he gave the others a nod and headed out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:32 pm 

Joe followed Salem and Mary closely. He was still a little freaked out by what he had seen at their place, and wasn't really in a very talkative mood. Which was incredibly weird, considering Joe usually spoke a mile a minute with no regard for anyone else. He grabbed his backpack straps for security and focused on the ground. He didn't have to worry about looking where he was going because Salem and Mary were a good few feet ahead of him. If they stopped, he stopped. His stomach growled for the umpteenth time, and he frowned unhappily. It wasn't too far of a walk, but it was a walk nonetheless.

He wondered briefly about Salem and Mary's parents and their naming habits. The hell was up with that? No wonder he was being haunted by freaky things in their house. If it would be anywhere, it would be with the siblings with the horror genre names. He brushed off the idea of actually being haunted, since he wasn't a believer in any of that kind of stuff. Maybe the Redgraves were? Hah, Red/grave/, totally haunted.

They arrived at the Chinese restaurant soon enough, and Joe kind of shuffled in first, making sure to hold the door for Salem and Mary. He went up to the front of the restaurant and requested a table for three. The waitress nodded, grabbed three menus and led them over to a small booth. The restaurant was nice. It looked like it had received a renovation recently. The walls were a red wood and the carpet was green, and in small glass cases embedded in the walls were pearly green jade statuettes of dragons. Tacky? Yes. However Joe wasn't in it for the decor, he was mostly in it for the food. He sat down with the rest of the group, sort of looking down in silence at the white linen tablecloth.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:13 pm 

eyy, senpai!

Their naming schemes had been a family tradition for who the hell knows how long. Their creepy-ass parents had been the ones who kept it going, much to Mary's derision. At least her name was relatively 'normal' compared to her brother's. With the promise she made to him, which was stabbing him if he had a daughter and named her something stupid, maybe the curse of shitty names would finally come to an end.

At the restaurant, Mary slipped through the door second, and Salem came in after her. Once inside, she pulled her hood down and looked around, scoping out where the best seat possible was. Not like they'd get to choose, of course, but knowledge of the good seats was indispensable. The place they got was good enough though, as booths were by default infinitely better than tables. Gotta have that cushion. When they arrived, she sat down next to Joe and flicked open her menu, reading over the various things in it. The place was very authentic, so a bunch of stranger things were on the menu as well. She wondered whether the chicken feet were any good.

Salem was reading as well, but he felt an odd nagging feeling in the back of his head. He hadn't slammed his skull into any tables, so he was baffled at what it could be. Something felt wrong, very very wrong, but he couldn't place what the hell it was. His face twisted into a look of bothered confusion, he looked to Joe and inquired the status of his brain. "Hey, you still feeling alright?" He asked, sounding exceptionally unsure. Maybe it was just worry over the dumb spyware scheme they'd put into place he was feeling. But it felt like something worse, more important. He just had no idea what the goddamn hell it could be.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:33 pm 

Joe dropped his backpack and reached for the napkin that had been placed in front of him. He dragged it over and off the table slowly, unfolded it and placed it in his lap. He bit his lip as he cracked open the menu, looking at the various food items. Obviously not satisfied with what was on that page of the menu, he flipped it over quickly, narrowing his eyes to make out what some of the descriptions of the food meant. If you wanted real, authentic food, sometimes you needed to learn to read stuff that didn't make total sense in English.

He seemed almost startled when Salem asked him the question. "O-Oh, yeah," Joe stammered, selecting what he wanted from the menu. "I do have a little bit of a headache, but it's subsiding, which means I don't have a concussion. Happy day," he said, and smiled. He waved the waitress over because he was ready to order, and if everyone else wasn't well that was too damn bad.

The waitress got out a pen and pad and said in a polite tone, "Hi, how can I help you? I was going to come over and ask you for drinks, but are you ready to order?"

Joe nodded quickly and told the waitress his order with a thank you and everything. He then realized that he hadn't even asked if anyone else was ready to order. "Oh, sorry guys. Maybe you should come back, Miss... Unless everyone's actually ready to order now?"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:56 pm 

eyy, senpai!

With a slow nod, Salem went back to reading the menu. He picked out some sort of stir-fried shrimp concoction, along with some green tea. Couldn't go wrong with seafood and leaf juice. When the waitress came over, he relayed his order in a polite way. Food industry workers always got the shittest deals, so he went out of his way to be nice to them.

Mary, however, had not managed to figure out a name for one of the pictures that littered the menu. She narrowed her eyes, and turned the menu towards the waitress to point out what it was she wanted. "I'll take this, please," He muttered, slightly embarrassed at needing to do such a thing. It reminded her of childhood visits to restaurants, and not in a positive way. She hated pointing things out like that.

Everything went smoothly, though, and the orders were set.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:19 pm 

The dinner passed with relative ease. Joe didn't pass out on his food, and everyone slipped in to conversation with minimal effort. By the time that they got out and paid the bill--thanks, Salem!-- a good deal of time had passed. It was an uneventful trip back to the Redgraves', and by then it was already pretty late. Joe was planning to head back to his apartment, wondering if the landlord had kicked him out yet for not paying the rent. No way, he was far too charming fo something like that to happen. Luckily, the Redgrave children had offered him a place on their couch, which was awesome.

So thus ensued movie night, which had much to be desired. Quality movies that people wanted to see weren't available on pay-per-view or Netflix, so they were stuck with the shitty stuff. Even though he was enjoying himself immensely, Joe found himself sort of dozing. What time was it? He tried to look at the time on the TV box beneath the actual TV, but that would involve him having to get up in order to get a look, so he just decided that he'd doze off and that would be that. Maybe Salem or Mary had a phone that had the time on their person?

"Yo," Joe called, to either of the siblings. "What time is it?" He shifted on the chair he had been dozing in and moved forward. He didn't exactly like being back in their house after the incident early this evening, but he was much too comfortable to move or leave to go to his own place. Even if he wasn't kicked out yet, he didn't have air conditioning. In the swampy, humid summers of Washington D.C. that was a definite no-go. He wouldn't go back to his place if he had to.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next