All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Heritage [IC]
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:47 pm 

Medals: 3
Longest RP (2) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Floriad was walking side by side with Silas, deciding to keep herself a reasonable size for the duration of the trip. It was true that they had a mount, but sometimes even hardy Vival deserved a break from being a beast of burden. That said, the cave drake was laden with bedrolls and various other things, and it kept at a steady pace behind the duo.

When Kaya voiced her grievances, it was all Floriad could do to not roll her eyes. She lacked the general understanding of what Kaya had gone through, but knew that the Epona didn’t like the city much. Floriad was indifferent. In fact, she had never been. But walls meant a large city, a large city meant a nice inn, and a nice inn meant nice beer, so she thought that there was little to complain about.

“Well, technically,” Floriad started slowly, facetiously. “You don’t have to come inside. I’m sure we can find you a nice stall in the local stable that you can wait in.”

That earned her a hard swat on the head from Silas, and her hat was knocked clean off her head. She scrambled to get it back securely on her head. “Don’t do that,” Silas hissed under his breath. He wondered if Kaya could hear him, but he still needed to get the message out. As they progressed onwards, Floriad had less and less of a filter, and if Silas’ hair wasn’t white, it would’ve gone it, what with him worrying about her insensitive remarks.

“Horrible screeching, you say?” said Silas, faintly amused. “Well, if that’s the case, I might just stay outside with you.” He paused, placing a hand on his chin thoughtfully. “Though, Kaya. It will be fine. You have us.” With that said, he placed a hand confidently on his mace and gave her a triumphant look, to which Floriad rolled her eyes.

Just as Floriad reached an arm out to lean on Silas, the Dokkalfr suddenly fell forward, taking her with him. She made an uncomfortable ‘Oof!’ sound and slowly got to her feet, trying to shake the dust off of her nice green dress. She held a hand out for Silas to take, and a gloved hand met hers and he was up in a matter of seconds.

Floriad, Silas, and Vival looked towards the column of light that had descended from the sky. Floriad whistled while Silas gaped, and Vival sniffed uncomfortably.

“So’s that what you’re looking for, or…?” Floriad trailed, halfhearted pointing at gleaming pillar.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:56 pm 

Blog: View Blog (1)

Kaya listened as Tarkus spoke. She knew he was right, tactically, but she just couldn't stand the thought of those people and their indifference, even if logically she knew they hadn't a clue. She also grimaced at Floriad's comment, but managed to keep her anger in check. The little sprite was probably just looking for a snappy answer anyway, and she didn't feel witty enough to win that fencing match. Glancing at Silas as he tried to reassure her like she was some sort of frail little foal, she was about to snap out a reply when the world in front of her eyes exploded. The rumbling and tossing in the ground threw her onto her haunches, but she splayed her front hooves and managed the keep her balance as she threw one armoured arm in front of her eyes, gritted her teeth, and waited for the end.

Which did not come. Blinking, she glanced the ground under her, and except for everything being blurry, she did not appear to have been thrown into the Ednless Plains, which meant she was still near the stinking city. She looked up, shaking her head to try and clear her vision. The Jotun had stood, and was facing some sort of...beam? Tower? She wasn't sure, but it certainly was not natural. "Aye, ye may be right at tha', sah. Wha' in all th' forests is tha'? An' how d' we kill it?" She unracked her lance, noting that Tarkus was already looking like he wanted to investigate.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:18 pm 

Medals: 1
Longest RP (1)

"Are you alright?" Anora asked as a series of short, shallow breaths emanated from her mouth. As she panted her right hand quickly went to the left side of her torso, quickly feeling the site of her earlier wound to see if she tore any of her stitches, or re injured the wound all together. To her surprise she found no signs of any tears. Good. She knew that at worse all she would suffer was maybe a bruised rib, and that was something she could live with. Though she also knew it would hinder her. With her lack a strength, the unfortunate byproduct of the blood loss sustained from her injury, combined with a sore rib would mean that any attempt to shoot her bow would be nearly impossible. Deciding to refrain from sharing this injury news with Avis, Anora instead began to make her way towards the stair case. She walked without a hitch. To the untrained eyes her movement was free of pain and injury. Anora liked that.

As she reached the top of the stair case, Anora turned her head around and spoke to Avis once more. "I will head down and check on the others. I would like to make sure no one else had a fall."

As her voice trailed off, she began her descent down the staircase. At first she walked as she normally would. Her boots hitting hard against the wooden stairs and moving at a brisk pace that seemed not out of the ordinary. Yet as the sight of Avis slowly was removed from her sight did she change her posture. Her right hand shot over and covered her left side once again, the pressure of her hand on the wound brought a sensation of pain yet seemed to dull it all the same while her free hand was quick to catch the railing on the side of the stairs. Each step down brought with it a wave of pain, causing her eyes to wince and her teeth softly biting into her bottom lip. Eventually she made it to the bottom, much to the delight of her side. She summoned her courage, and her strength, and quickly made her way to the room which Cyrus had chosen. Her hand was quick to grab the door handle with a firm grasp, and she quickly turned it entering the room without a knock.

"Cyrus, are you hurt? Something.... something strange happened up ahead. Caused the machine to stop in it's track." Anora spoke.

"'Strange?" The old man asked, ignoring the question about his health for the time being. "In which way?" He paused as his eyes instinctively shot to Anora's wounded side. They then darted to Anora's, and upon sensing the faintest bit of doubt in the air did he continue. "Regardless, let me have a look at your side. You must have hurt yourself in all the commotion, maybe tore a stitch out." He spoke as he rose from the side of the bed.

"Don't worry Cyrus. I already checked and the stitches are okay." Anora responded. "Maybe a bruised rib at worst, it can wait until we check on the others."

"We must be su-" He began to command, taking a few steps towards Anora before his voice was cut short.

"It can wait." Anora spoke. "First let us head downstairs and check on the others. Maybe someone knows what happened up ahead." Anora quickly turned her body around, even though it brought back a surge of pain, and exited the room. The duo quickly made their way to the staircase and quickly the two descended the staircase. As they entered the cabin, Anora's eyes scanned for signs of injury or destruction. She was relieved when she found none of it, a few chess pieces strewn across the table and the ground and a few books misplaced from their shelves seemed to be the extent of the damage caused down here. Though in an instant, Anora and Cyrus both spotted a man on the ground on the far side near the door.

"Selen, is that man injured?" Cyrus asked as he quickly rushed to his granddaughters side. Selen was on the ground next to him on her knees, with her hand on the man's forhead. She turned her head slightly to face Cyrus and she let out a strong smile as he grew near. "No. No he just fainted." Selen responded as she looked back on the man on the ground. "He should wake up soon." She spoke.

"Magnus, is everyone alright?" Anora asked. She noticed a distinct lack of injuries. Magnus seemed like he was in a state of shock, and no one would be able to fault him for that. While Ardur was unaccounted for, she knew she was most likely the only one who suffered an injury. In the depths of her mind she knew that this was caused by her earlier injury, and looked towards the healers. She knew if anything was to happen soon, she would need their help. She turned her attention back to Magnus and asked a second question, as the first seemed to fall on deaf ears. "And who is that if I may ask.""

At first, Magnus did not answer. He continued staring out the window, his eyes locked on the pillar of light that pierced the heavens. His hand, still holding the dusty remains of his old talisman, finally dropped. Ash spilled from his palm onto the floor, and he registered the sounds of people talking around him again. It took some effort to tear his gaze from the summoning that had caused the earthquake, but he turned to Anora, and for a moment, the other man that had fallen into their car.

"I don't know," He answered. There was a distinct shake to his voice, and as he turned, Anora would be able to clearly see the cultist amulet stuck to the window, pulsing and glowing with spiritual power as it dried to follow the shimmering tower. "But I think we've found who we've been looking for." Swiftly, he snatched the amulet by its string, tugging it away from the glass. It was not resistant, but he felt a subtle tug towards the event. "They've summoned something. I don't know what, but it's big. This is more miraculous power than I've ever felt in my life." Nervously, he swallowed and breathed deeply, attempting to calm the furiously beating heart in his chest. "We need to go. As soon as this train is docked."

Anora fell silent for a moment of her own, absorbing the information that Magnus had just shot out. While she still felt weary about the new, unexpected guest in their cabin, she knew that something was bothering a man who had until now been the one who has held his composure the best. She looked at the talisman in his hand with wide beady eyes, still not processing the information that magnus had told her.

"What do you mean Magnus?" She asked as she adopted a look of confusion. "What do you mean that they've summoned something?"

Magnus balled his fist around the amulet, looking towards its symbol. The gems on its face glowed a furiously bright shade of green and white. "Summoning a spirit from the Otherworld requires special rituals. Miracle casters tend to be more in-tune with spirits, and the church uses summoning during some gatherings. I've been to enough to know what summoning an angel feels like, but this is...This is something else entirely. It's not anything I know." Other spirits gave off distinct auras as well, but neither demon nor fae matched whatever it was that descended from the pillar. "But it's got an incredibly powerful soul. Whatever it is, it's far beyond anything that I've ever felt before."

Past that, he had no clue what it could have been. Some sort of spirit, obviously, that had come from one of the immaterial planes of Light within the Otherworld. The pillar and its runic halos gave that away merely by sight; it was a heavenly summoning. But its sheer power and uniqueness of its spirit, at least from what Magnus was able to process of it, was unknown to him. It filled him with a deep and terrible dread. Demons, the most common enemy of his religion, had become identifiable. This matched nothing he knew.

"Whatever it is, the talisman is reacting to it. They made these things, so it must be connected to them. My own wasn't able to process all this power." He turned his free hand over, the ashes of his old talisman's blessed wood still stuck to the glove of his gauntlet.

Anora's face once again drew a blank. Summoning spirits was already a stretch of faith for her, having never seen it done and only hearing of it through second hand accounts on the roads. Yet now here was Magnus, telling her that someone somewhere had summoned something so strong that not even a devoted man such as himself has ever experienced. She did not want to believe it. She could not believe it. Yet here they stood, with the ash of a broken talisman on the ground and the assassins talisman still pulling towards whatever was out there. Slowly, the gears in her head began to turn and the corners of her mouth fell downward as the weight of Magnus's words finally sunk in. She briefly shook her head, before looking at Magnus again.

"Do you think we're ready for something like this?" She asked in a hushed tone.

The question hung in Magnus's mind. Were they ready? Could anyone truly be for something like this? Before this moment, Magnus had no idea spirits of such power existed, at least in the mortal plane. He knew of religious cults, many that tried uprising, only to be snuffed out beneath the church's defenders. But these people, who had taken so many lives and torn his apart, not only went without trace for so long, but now brought a being that was beyond comprehension into their world. His eyes fell to the amulet in his hand again, which he moved with his fingers so that its symbol was properly upward.

"We have to be," He started, lowering his hand. "Because nobody else is." He opened a pouch on his belt and stowed the jewelry away, then took a deep breath with closed eyes. "Anyone on this car who isn't prepared for this is to be dropped off in town. I'm going out there, to find out what's going on, one way or another. Are you with me?" He extended his hand to Anora, awaiting an answer.

This time Magnus's words were very clear to her, and very much to the point. While she was positively frightened by the thoughts of what was to come, she knew there was very little chance of her turing her back on these people now. She quickly met his hand with her own, and responded with a soft "Aye, and so is Ardur." She quickly released her grip, allowing her hand to fall back to her side. She looked back towards Cyrus and Selen and wanted to move towards them and get some of the healing she desperately needed, yet her body remained frozen in place.. Her thoughts still raced about the uncertainty ahead of them. She knew she would be needed at full strength for whatever lay ahead, and with that thought she quickly turned around and began making her way towards the two healers. She noticed a couch was near their location and promptly sat down.

"Selen." Anora commanded.

"Y-yes?" Selen stuttered back.

"I need you to use your healing magic on my side." She again commanded. "We will need to investigate what caused this, and I need to be able to use my bow."

"Grandfather?" Selen asked with an anxious look in her eyes.

"It will require a lot of your strength." Cyrus said in a weary voice. "But you are as ready now as you will ever be." He turned his attention back to the man on the floor, waiting for him to awake.

Selen quickly rose to her feet, and found a seat next to Anora. Selen quickly pulled up the side of Anora's shirt, enough to give her a clear look at the stitches and the area around the wound. "The stitches are all looking good." She spoke as her eyes carefully scanned Anora's body. "This will hurt you a bit." She spoke as she quickly grabbed a sharp knife from the table. "I will need to first remove the stitches from your side, and then I can proceed with the healing." She finished as her eyes rose to meet Anora's. She was met with a simple nod, and Selen began to carefully cut the stitches out and begin the healing process.

As Anora left to finish up her healing, Magnus turned back to the window, returning his eyes to the distant site of spiritual power. His mind raced with thoughts of what exactly it was they were going to do, formulating plans and internally debating their best course of action. Right now, only one thing was certain: As soon as their train stopped, he was going to drop his parents off at the city's Alesian temple and go. His jaw clenched, and with one final deep breath, he turned away and walked down their private car's length, making his way to the stairs. He walked up to their room, both to discuss what needed to be done and to gather his weapons.

"We all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that's okay, that's good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:02 pm 

eyy, senpai!

Medals: 14
GM of the Month (1) Longest RP (2)
Completed RP (1) Best Entrance (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Marveila's city square was rife with activity. People left their homes and businesses, standing in crowds that spoke with worried voices and hushed whispers. Many in particular grouped around the stairs that led up to the city's temple of Alesia, upon which the preacher stood, clutching ash between her hands. Prayers were spoken, attempting to pierce through the overwhelming dread that she felt. The townsfolk nearest noticed her unease, which spread throughout their part of the crowd. All eyes were on the pillar of light in the distance, confusion and questioning on every mind. The city guards had set up near all entrances, prepared to defend the town from whatever threat may have come, though there was visible nervousness among them all.

At the train station, people left hurriedly, piling off of their transport onto the platform. Most of them were seeking refuse within the city, though some remained to gawk at whatever was happening. From the car nearest the vehicle's end, Magnus emerged with his parents. His weapons were worn, belts crossing his torso and waist to secure the sword to his hip and both hammer and shield to his back. Under his arm, he carried his helmet. Once on the platform, all of them turned toward the event. Magnus's father put a hand on his shoulder, taking a deep breath before he spoke.

"Are you sure you want to go out there? Goddess only knows how dangerous it could be. We could just tell the church, let them send in their paladins..." There was obvious concern to the old man's voice. The idea of his son running into whatever that light even was, the mere possibility of him not coming back, was deeply distressing. Magnus placed his own hand over his father's, giving a nod.

"They'll know something's happened. If I felt it, so did they. With the time it would take a legion to come, whoever is responsible could already be gone. I can't let this opportunity slip by." Magnus admitted silently, the church's warriors would be the best backup he could have asked for in this situation, but there was little time to waste on waiting. It was now or never, as far as he was concerned. His father's hand slipped off his arm, and the two embraced tightly. "I'll come back. You two need to stay safe until then." He smiled, pulling back ever slightly. "I expect a welcoming party."

His father laughed a little halfheartedly. "Aye," He answered, pursing his lips as the hug ended. "We'll stay at the temple for now. You'd best come back in one piece, lad."

Magnus once again nodded. "I'll be sure to keep everything attached, don't worry about that." The attempts to lighten the mood helped somewhat. Before they began to leave, Magnus's mother hugged him as well.

"If there's anything out there the church can help with, tell them once you've come back. We aren't in this alone." She tightened her grip on him, then pecked him on the forehead. "And if there's anything either of us can do, let us know."

It was a reassuring thought, and as the rest of their party gathered on the platform, Magnus agreed with her second statement. "You're right, we're not. For now, stay safe." The three of them shared a hug together, during which Magnus quietly prayed for their safety and protection. From the bag on his belt that held the amulet, a soft gold glow spread, circling the family in the outline of a runic circle for a few moments. Eventually, they parted, and both of Magnus's parents left the platform for the city's gates.

When they finally left his view from the platform, he turned away, flipping his helmet over so he could put it on. The last piece of armour slid over his head, and he secured the bevor and burgonet with small straps on either side of the helmet. Now fully encased in his armour, he rested his left hand on his sword's pommel, awaiting the rest of his companions.

-----

Verigan emerged from the train, his hat's brim tilted down over the eyes of his mask. Just looking at the event on the horizon was causing him discomfort. The unfamiliarity of the presence was only a part of it; it felt like there was even more holy light in the pillar than even the sun at high noon. The distance they were from it and his various wards kept him from combusting, yet they did little to soothe the feeling of sheer foreboding that it carried down from the sky. Once on the platform, he approached Magnus and stood next to him, peering down to catch his attention before speaking.

"That's quite a thing to be running toward," He commented, to which Magnus responded with a small noise of agreement. "I may not know much about the intricacies of Light, but I do hope whatever it is, you can handle it." Idly, his arms moved forward, and he balanced his cane on its tip in front of him, both palms resting atop its skull-like knob. While he did not say that he could feel it, Verigan didn't doubt for a moment that Magnus could tell he had some sort of ethereal knowledge beyond magic. Miraculous disposition was a two way street when it came to sensing and giving off spiritual auras. While Verigan had learned much in the ways of Dark, and knew how to hide most of his, his very nature as a lich gave him a distinct air.

He was curious as to how the Alesian would feel in regards to users of Dark in the party. Not only him, but Atisha too. On the ride, he'd learned about her use of hellfire to stop the burning of his home, but not whether he'd realized the flames were of the miraculous sort. It was a delicate situation, but not one that could be avoided forever. He felt that it would be better for Atisha to tell him of her own volition when the time came; they'd traveled together longer than he'd been around. How long, he didn't quite know, but there was sure to be more trust between the two. For now, he decided to remain with her, and awaited the Alftar girl's arrival to the platform.

-----

Tarkus grunted, moving his shoulder as he adjusted the position of his blade. "That, I do not know. But there is always a method." His knowledge of the supernatural beyond the old spirits of his homeland was limited, but even those deeply revered could be defeated by someone of a strong enough constitution. As far as he knew and was concerned, this display of light and runes was just a show. He felt nothing regarding the pillar's actual spiritual power, but felt it worth investigating nonetheless. Something of this degree of flashiness was an attention grabber, especially considering descriptions of things to come he'd beaten out of a few would-be assassins encountered during his travels.

He began to walk, clicking with his tongue as he did so. Brom, after some moments hesitation, pushed himself off the ground and shivered. The cat-beast was clearly intimidated by what had just happened, glancing repeatedly towards the light show. In some effort to hide from it, he moved behind Vival, ducking below the dragon's mass. Now, nearly the whole group was between him and the pillar, and some newfound ease came to him. The stables were a mess of activity, workers trying their best to calm down panicked horses and cockatrices, but another click from Tarkus kept his attention off of them.

During the walk, Tarkus slowed slightly to accommodate Vasma, coming to a pace near hers so he could address her. "This may be it," He said with some uncertainty. "Are you sure you wish to see this through? There are going to be risks." The other people he was with, he wasn't as worried about. They were young, fit, and best of all, he barely knew any of them. But Vasma was a longer-term companion, and he had concerns for her safety in regards to this event. Still, he continued walking, looking toward the platform of the train station as they neared it. His attention was drawn towards the armoured figure staring toward the light, as well as the people piling off one of the vehicle's cars without immediately bolting for the safety of the city walls.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:53 pm 

Medals: 5
Animal Companion (1) Longest RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) 1st Year (1)

The peaceful game of chess was interrupted almost as soon as Larteis came to watch. He frowned when Magnus retrieved his amulet- it was making a strange vibration and emanating light. Magnus looked at Larteis, almost as to ask what he thought what was going on, but before either of them could say anything, the piercing ringing began.

The sound was terrible- it felt like it was burrowing inside Larteis’ eardrums to somewhere even more unpleasant. He slammed his hands over his ears, which reduced the immediate sound, but he could still feel the vibration from it. However, the speed of the vibration increased, and just as he began to suspect it didn’t just come from the amulet, the train screamed to a stop, sending him flying to the floor.

After a moment of determining that he was still all right and nothing had been broken, Larteis pulled himself to his feet with the assistance of a nearby table. The ringing in his ears hadn’t subsided. He rose and saw that the rest of the group was staring out the window, now, and he walked over to get a better look at what everyone else was looking at.

Immediately, Larteis recognized the pillar. He’d read about this sort of thing in old religious books, but never expected to actually see it, and most certainly not on this scale. The train began to move under him again, but he barely even registered it as he stared at the glowing light. He had a terrible, unshakable feeling he had seen it before- not just things like it, but exactly it- but he couldn’t think of where, or how.

“Why did we stop?” Bellant’s voice pierced his focus, but he still couldn’t quite stop looking at the pillar. “Why are we all-“ the drake moved closer until he could see what was out the window, and his voice died. After a long pause, he managed, “Good god.”

“I need to sit down,” Larteis mumbled, finding one of the vacant booths and falling into it. Looking at the beam of light made him feel ill.

-

Before Avis could attempt any actual conversation with Anora, the train screeched to a stop. Quickly, she grabbed the railing, managing to keep from falling down the stairs like a complete imbecile. “Fine,” she managed, in response to Anora’s question. “And you?” She watched as the other woman moved past her down the stairs. She almost went to offer her assistance, before realizing that would do nothing but injure Anora’s pride. Instead, she turned to go down the steps, but was halted by the sight of the glowing pillar of light.

“Anora,” she said, before realizing she was likely already out of earshot. Avis frowned and leaned closer, staring at the mysterious sigils. “I am almost certain that wasn’t there before,” she said drily. After a few more moments of watching the light dance in the sky, she turn and ran down the steps, taking them two at a time until she reached the bottom floor of the train.

She entered the main compartment, finding everyone else similarly absorbed. She listened to Magnus’ explanation of the event and chewed her lip. “Well, I hope no one unpacked,” she joked, and immediately regretted it. No one was interested in levity right now.

-

It wasn’t long until they arrived in Marveila, or at least it didn’t seem long. The group unloaded luggage rather quickly- Avis noted that they seemed to be almost developing a system at this point. It was something she tended to notice when she traveled with people for a long time, so she couldn’t help but smile at it. She stepped away from the train and looked up at the light, placing her hands on her hips. She wanted to be able to enjoy her time in Marveila, but with the pillar being this close, it was hard to think about anything else. Everyone else seemed similarly minded. The platform was quickly deserted by hurrying people, away from the ominous glow on the horizon.

She noticed Larteis standing next to her, looking paler than normal, which was quite a feat. Thinking of it, she remembered that he had seemed this way since the pillar of light appeared, which she couldn’t really blame him for. “Doing all right?” she asked, nudging him slightly in a friendly sort of way.

She had underestimated his body mass, somehow, so he stumbled a bit to the side. The irritating dragon that was always sticking around him glanced up at her in almost warning, but huffed and looked away when Larteis steadied himself.”Fine,” he said. “Just not a fan of.. that.” He nodded towards the light in the sky. “Makes me feel sick to look at.”

Avis didn’t feel that when she looked at it, but she couldn’t really blame him, all the same.

-

“Well, look at that,” Velma said. “How convenient.” She had hoped that this could be avoided but she had doubted it could. It was, at least, nice to be able to fully devote herself to reality instead of a myriad of possibilities. She fell in step with the rest of the group as they hurried along, heading to somehow ‘kill’ a pillar made primarily of spirit power. It was a clumsy, mostly incorrect way to put it, but not worth the argument, so she rolled her eyes and huffed to herself instead.

She appreciated Tarkus slowing down next to her, but his true purpose was quickly made plain. “I’ll be fine,” she said, waving a hand at him. “Besides, you lot will need my help- it wouldn’t be easy to kill a pillar made with spiritual power with just swords and whatever magic this crew has working for them.” Vasma nodded at the motley crew they had acquired walking ahead of them now. She truthfully wasn’t wholly optimistic about this endeavor, but she had a long history of not backing down. She wasn’t going to start now.

Her attention was drawn along with Tarkus to the group of people exiting the train. They all looked so bizarre and distinct, but seemed to somehow be traveling together. She could feel the magic rolling off of them. It could only mean one thing. “Adventurers,” she muttered, with some irritation. “Look alive, Tarkus, this group will probably be sticking their noses in this mess with us."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:40 pm 

Gif Hunt Participant! (1)

Scamandius opens his eyes and blinks slowly to adjust to the light. He notices that he has a headache, probably from crashing into the floor of the train. Looking around, he notices that everyone has left the train so he scrambles to get up and catch up with the group that he hadn't even formally met yet. He checks to make sure he still has his ring and his dagger since he has no idea how long he was on the floor. Good, my dagger and ring are still here. He looks around the station for the group and he spots them. "Hey, wait there. I want to come along with you if it's okay. I would also like to get your names if that's all right." Scamandius sees the light again in the distance, "Wait, are you guys going up to that thing? Is that even a good idea?" Scamandius has a feeling that the light is bad, whatever it is. That's why he questions the group about it, it's concerning that they may be going to fight a column of light. As he is chasing the group down, he bumps into people who give him strange looks and keep going, away from the column of light. The way that seems so tempting to take as well as sticking with the group he newly discovered but still hasn't met.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:23 pm 

1st Year (1)

The city of Marveila was in an uproar, and even it's city square was fraught with concern and worry. This was a first to Blake, in a way. To see these fearful souls gathering around the steps of their temple. Standing in crowds with whispers, soft as the breeze. Their prayers, if he could even hear them, must have been countless if only wash away the worry and dread that flooded their minds and hearts. Everyone seemed to notice the pillar of light shining in the distance. If anything, that would be what woke Blake up in the first place. Sometimes, the feeding was enough to make him doze off fast. How could something drink so much blood, and not drink some smaller portions from time to time? At the very least, he would not pass out in significant times such as this? Was it a dream, though? He nicked himself in the arm, feeling a bit of pain. The pillar of light was still out there. This was not a dream... Good.

The train came to a halt, people made haste seeking refuse in the city while some were staying around to watch the phenomenon before them. After his company, he left the second to last car of the train. He held his sword in hand, holding on firmly as he proceeded onto the platform. "From this distance, it would seem like they would already send others to investigate." His friend said, wiggling out of the bindings before Blake.

Blake laughed happily, pulling his hands together, almost like he was praying silently. "You shouldn't come out like that. Someone could see you, or even hear me." He said, shaking his head for a moment. "Even so, the church can't just send the paladins into such situations they don't know."

Caterpillar looked up at Blake, "And we're going to go there?" His company's concern was well noted, and Blake rubbed its head with a finger. Nodding his head in agreement, the worm wriggled back inside his arm. He joined Magnus, looking out to the pillar of light before them.

Hello there. Despite calling myself a madman, I am quite friendly. My door is open should one need an ear, so feel free to consult me should life be getting on your tail. I also have a link to my resume here as well as a work in progress list of my characters here. I will likely be serving some plot cakes over the summer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:43 pm 

Kaya dithered for a moment as the rest of her group began ambling off behind Tarkus towards the column of light, trying to decide if she needed her helm on or if she wanted her field of view unobstructed. Noting the gathering at the train, she swiftly decided that conversations were easier without a thick plate of steel in front of her mouth, and she left it off as she followed suit with the others, though as she walked she pulled the pin from under her left vambrace and put her braid up into the bun that allowed it to pad her head from the helm itself, should the need for it arise. beads of sweat broke out on her brow as they moved, and while her eyes glanced to the side seeking threats, for the most part her gaze stayed steady on the oddity they were aiming for. Her jaw was set and her pace resolute, measured so that she didn't accidentally overhear whatever it was that Tarkus and Vasma were discussing, but inside her mind there was a roil of chaos she was keeping in check.

What if it's a cabal of mages? I've never fought a real mage before, only those hodgepodge idiots who work with bandits. This is clearly something beyond that? Can I close with them before they roast me like a fish in my armour? Can my blade cut them? Glades and meadows, but I wish the Captain had gone more over this. I know more than enough about fighting Slowfolk with weapons, but powers and gods are something entirely different. Her eyes fell over Floriad and Silas and their two quadrupedal companions. What about them? Tarkus can handle himself, and I am more than certain I don't know a thing about the cat's capabilities, but smart as they are, Brom and Vival might not know quite what to do. Or what if they have the ability to control them somehow? Will I have to put them down? The Sidhe can disappear if she gets into trouble. I wonder how the elf's experience will hold?

Just as she was beginning to lose focus on the situation and dream up tactical problems and solutions for what she had no way to plan for, the whinny of the panicked animals in the stables caught in her mind, and her head snapped swiftly to where the stable hands were struggling to take care of their charges. Kaya broke formation and cantered over, armour shining and face full of almost motherly concern. She called out in her mother tongue, a close cousin language to the Sidhe's own and pleasing enough to the humans who heard it, but the effect on the horses was immediate. They stopped rearing and stamping, stood to attention, and whinnied in unison in response. As she closed with the bewildered workers, she spoke in a rapid-fire, lilting manner. The mounts turned and offered no resistance as the men lead them back into their stalls hurriedly, working under the worry of the looming threat of magic attack. Kaya shrugged at the men trying to calm the cockatrices, but she could do nothing for them. After a few moments speaking with the stable-master, a well-muscled man with a bite scar on one cheek who stood up to her chest, she shook his hand and trotted back after her group, who were still moving, and much closer to the smelly iron of the train tracks.

Having never actually seen a train before, she didn't immediately recognise it as a vehicle, and thought it a rather oddly shaped series of houses, though once she caught sight of the wheels and the tracks going off into the distance she realised what it must be. The Captain had gone on a long speech once about the wonders in logistics that these things were, even given their limited regions and inability to come off the tracks. Now that she beheld it herself, she knew what he meant. An army could move immense amounts of supplies on one of these things! Her gaze dropped to the group that the others had been looking at as she rejoined them, especially the man in armour and the few who looked like they knew their way around their weaponry. Just like when she had met her current companions, she began shamelessly weighing them up, mouth pulled into a faint frown as she glanced them over one after the other on her approach. This time, however, she kept her gauntlet on the pommel of her blade, as these had not proven themselves quite as trustworthy by slaughtering monsters before she arrived. The noise of panicking civilians in the city was also not precisely doing wonders for her nerves, as this was the first time she had been near this many Slowfolk at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:37 pm 

Dedicated Partner (1)

Danger was present…

The air itself shook with power as Xaviex drifted above the landscape. The group with whom he had been traveling began to gather on the platform a decent way below him. Like him, they gazed in awe at the pulsating tower of light. This was, this should have been impossible. The amount of power needed to create this was… Immense to say the least. Xaviex speculated on this for a long moment, lightening and energy crackling around him all the while. Without truly knowing much of Sesiden, the vile sorcerer the nearly killed Astowyn and kidnapped his dear friend's daughter, it was hard to say how it would be possible to find him, but, with as much power as he was rumored to wield, it felt like the most terrifying show of power Xaviex could remember seeing might be a good place to start.

With nothing more than a graceful thought, Xaviex drifted back down toward the earth. Sound coalesced into a mass of white noise as his feet finally touched the ground only a few feet from Magnus. He was a spry young man to be certain. Xaviex could see the potential brimming off of him. The leadership, the courage, the power. It was all well within the young Teryn's reach.

"Well," Xaviex said, turning to his armored compatriot. "This certainly seems dire, doesn't it?"

"Who put bacon in the soap?!?!?!" - Zim

I'm writing this story! It's called The Legends of Kal'duune. You can comment about things you like or hate, but preferably the first thing, here!

This thing is my resume! Reeeeaad iiiiiit...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:43 pm 

Longest RP (1)

An otherworldly pillar of light held the thoughts of the Marveila townsfolk. The tension in the air held the city with its icy tendrils so that no one was thinking about work, food, or anything else; they were just thinking about what was coming for them later on. In the middle of the city worried voices gathered around the stairs to the temple and asked the same questions that Anora was now asking herself. “What could create such a Pillar?” and “Are we safe here?” are just a few of the questions dancing through the crowd and through the mind of Anora. The unnatural look and the sudden, violent, appearance of the Pillar of Light had removed all doubt in her mind of what they were going up against. And if the creation of that pillar nearly caused a city to crumble and a train to derail, then whatever is waiting for their group out there was surely powerful enough to render the walls and the guards of this city moot.

The familiar sound of heavy metal boots slamming down hard on the platform followed by audible in quick succession signaled that Ardur had gotten off the train and was approaching her. “Ardur, I don’t like this.” Anora spoke as she closed her eyes and listened around the area, trying to latch on to a conversation. “The air here is heavy with fear, uncertainty, and dread." Anora’s eyes opened slowly, and she slowly turned around to face Ardur. “No matter what happens later, I am glad to have made a friend as capable as you.

An old figure, standing in the doorway to the train, soon caught her attention. “Cyrus” she spoke “Where are you going?

I am going into town.” Cyrus spoke with a raspy voice. “I am not going to be able to assist you out there, and will only slow you down. I will head into the city and see if I can help.”

I think I overheard Magnus saying his parents were heading to the temple, maybe start there.” Anora responded. She knew he was spent and assumed this outcome was a possibility.

Cyrus simple nodded his head and was off.

We’re not dead yet, Anora.” Ardur said with a grin. “Besides, I doubt you will be able to last much longer without my help anyway and what kind of friend leaves someone like that?” Pausing as a face on the ground behind the platform caught his attention. “Don’t turn around, but I think we might have company.” He finished as he forced a smile across his face.

What do they look like, Lason’s men?” Anora asked as she locked her eyes on those of Ardurs.

I don’t think so, too diverse.” He spoke as he turned his head to locate magnus. “One I think is a giant Jotun, and another one looks to be an old Meerah. I can’t get a good look from up here but they were defiantly looking at us getting off the train with keen interest.

"We should let Magnus know.” Anora responded.

Anora and Ardur slowly moved away from the edge of the train platform and towards Magnus.

Magnus” Ardur spoke “We might have company on the road ahead. I spotted a well-armed group take an interest in ours, and they seemed like they themselves were heading to the pillar of light.

The two of us can head out in front
of the group and scout out the path ahead.” Anora offered. “We can make sure we are not walking into a trap.

"We all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that's okay, that's good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:54 pm 

eyy, senpai!

Medals: 14
GM of the Month (1) Longest RP (2)
Completed RP (1) Best Entrance (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

"Dire's one word for it," Magnus said in response to Xaviex. In all honesty, this seemed beyond dire. Spiritual anomalies of this scale were unheard of in modern times, and as he waited for the group to gather, he began to consider possibilities of what it may have been based on his own knowledge of the Otherworld. A breach between realities seemed too far off to consider wholly, as such events were almost entirely impossible even on small levels of power. And yet, he was faced with an amount of power that should have been impossible in and of itself. He tightened his grip on his sword's handle, taking a slow inhale to help quell his nervousness. In his chest, his heart was pounding harder than it ever had, yet he refused to let fear overtake him entirely. As far as he was concerned, Alesia would not allow such a thing to continue for long. He had made a promise to return safely, and fully intended to keep it. With that belief held firm, and his proven companions at his side, he would move forward.

Ardur and Anora came to give a warning of another oncoming group, and immediately, Magnus turned to face the new arrivals. They were an interesting-looking sort, and the sheer size of two of them caught him slightly off guard. "Well," He began, moving his hand a bit so that it was fully on his sword's handle. "Let's hope they have good intentions. They don't seem like the type to be involved with whatever's happening out there." He scanned over all of them from beneath his visor, wondering if they were even prepared to be taking on a possible enemy of otherworldly power. The Sidhe, at least, had a natural advantage in that regard, and the Meerah seemed to be giving off some amount of miraculous aura. He could read nothing from the group's apparent warriors, however.

Anora's offer recieved a nod in response. "That's a good plan. If you see anything out there, a ritual of any sort, do your best to stop it. If we can cut this off before it's finished, we might have a better chance with what's causing that light. But be careful out there." He paused, then released his sword, clasping his hands together as he gave a silent prayer. A golden glow spread outward from his chest and down the length of his arms, condensing on his hands as he prayed. Slowly parting them, he held glowing light in each palm, which in turn condensed into the form of an ethereal orb. "Please, take these. They're prayers to lend you Alesia's strength." He slowly removed his hands from the glow, leaving each one floating in front of the others to be taken, then parted ways with them to approach the oncoming group.

-----

Tarkus watched as Magnus approached, and when he stopped nearer to them, he spoke. "Are you in charge here? Do you plan on approaching that light?" Most of the people who left the vehicle had made a mad dash for the city walls. While it was an understandable bid for safety, it was also next to worthless in the current situation. Tarkus did not know what it was, but given its sheer size, the walls were not going to keep everything out. "Do you know what it is?"

Magnus considered how to answer, raising his visor to reveal his face for easier conversation. "Yes and no. We've been pursuing who I believe to be the perpetrators of this ritual for a while now. I don't know exactly what it is, but there's a large amount of spiritual power radiating from it." He removed the jeweled amulet from his pocket, holding it up to display to the other group. "We took this from the body of an assassin, a group's leader. On our way here, it started to ring and pull itself toward that light. I can still feel it trying to draw me in that direction."

Upon seeing the amulet, Tarkus's teeth grit together. He knew that sigil, and while he knew little of the people who branded themselves with it, he knew that they had caused him great pain and earned swift deaths for it. He opened a pouch of his own, and held up a small collection of less intricate amulets taken from assassins who had been encountered during his travels. They were cast in bronze and lacked gem encrusting, but the symbol was identical. "Then we have the same goal," He said, returning them to his pouch. "I want to know what that light is, and I want to find who is making it. I do not know much about spirits, but she does." Tarkus stepped aside to let Vasma take the forefront of his group. "Tell her what you know."

Tarkus secured his gear, waiting patiently for explanations to be given. In the meantime, he looked over the others in the group. Mostly young warriors, with a few older-looking people sprinkled about. While he was less than thrilled about an Oghren's presence, now was not the time for old racial rivalries to surface. He also found something strange about the tall, thin man in the gold mask, but he could not say what exactly. Was this how magicians dressed in Ardon? The midlands had some strange customs, he learned, but none were quite the same as that. He spoke to Kaya, his voice low as to not interrupt any discussions. "Be prepared. If we are to fight spirits, then know that a simple blade will not keep them down. You must destroy them entirely. Tear them apart and leave nothing to resurrect." Without the proper power, facing even physical spirits was an immense challenge. The trolls on the road were a fine example of this, their existence as fae beings giving them immense resilience to unenchanted weapons.

-----

While Tarkus gave his advice, Magnus offered what he knew. "The people behind this are a religious cult of some sort, wishing to bring forth some sort of 'new dawn.' What that means exactly, I can't be sure, but I'd wager that pillar has a lot to do with it. I think they're summoning something. What it is, I still don't know, but it's big. I'd wager that they think it's some kind of god, given how fanatical some of the ones we've encountered have been. These people will die for what they believe in. Don't put your guard down if you're going to approach." He remembered the man who had allowed his face to be beaten nearly in before saying anything, and even then, only told them vague threats about their impending victory. They were very faithful, and in the wrong hands, faith was a dangerous weapon. "I think the safest plan of attack would be to use spiritual defenses on the approach. The light's aura feels...different. It's not that of any holy power I've personally felt, but it isn't demonic, either. I don't know for certain that it's unique, but it certainly feels that way."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:54 pm 

Kaya glanced around the group, noting sizes, races, and apparent capabilities. She had never seen, nor in fact ever heard, of such a motley assemblage in all her training or wandering, but each of them seemed capable enough in their own right. And this new set of adventurers had even apparently divested themselves of the old man, a combat liability, so they were clearly not inexperienced. Though at least one of them, the queer man in the mask, didn't seem a fighter, so maybe he used magic? Which would be welcome in the current situation. And the man speaking, an apparent leader, had used some sort of glowing light on two of his companions, so he did too, though magic-users in armour was a new one to her. Too much book reading and not enough book lifting, in her opinion, led to a strong mind on a weak base, which could be knocked over like a spinning top if you could get past the magic itself. That thought drew her attention back to the briefing that was happening, though her damaged left ear focused on Tarkus's advice.

To her own group leaders advice, she responded quietly, "Weell, that's sayin' an' no' doin', but Ah get the jist. Stomp 'em flat and keep doin' so until there's nothin' left, aye? Ah ken do tha' much, and maybe more." While she was paying attention to Magnus, she slowly drew out her blade, careful not to make too much noise, though the rasp of steel was noticeable. Still, she made every appearance of not being hostile, in case the strangers thought she was. Setting the tip into the ground, she reached into her satchel and drew out several large, fat tubers, glistening oddly in the light of the pillar and coloured a pale green. She held one up to her mouth and whispered in her own language, causing it the shine faintly. She did the same to the rest, a different phrasing every time, and set them gently down, though one she kept and one she handed to Tarkus. Glancing at Floriad, in case she recognised the things and wanted one, the Epona pulled up her sword and began gently slicing into the root, switching spots every few inches. With the size of her blade, it took remarkably little time to leave the whole of the vegetable a shredded mess, to which she muttered a quiet thanks and then took a bite of before tossing it to the ground, making a face of disgust as she did so. However, anyone watching would notice the shine of the fat tuber was now in her blade instead.

Again she whispered to Tarkus, anticipating the question, "'tis an ol' method of dealin' with magic, when th' clans would have ta deal with hostile spirits an' the like. Her kind," she jerked a thumb the Sidhe's direction, "gave us th' secret back in th' days of ol', back when we were younger, for a service Ah don't remember hearin' abou'. 'Tis said th' spirits in them will give your blade an edge which.." She paused, screwing up her face while looking for the right wording. "The edge doesn't always stay in this world? If'n tha' makes sense. Ah been savin' them in case Ah ran across somethin' nasty, and glades and meadows this seems to fit th' bill in question, aye? It don' last ferev'r, though, so you'll have to make th' strokes count. Ah've got three asides th' one you've got. Hand 'em to the best fighters, mebbe? Or th' worst?"

She glanced up as Magnus finished speaking for the moment. Vasma still had yet to give her say, but the meaning seemed clear enough to Kaya. They would be facing religious fanatics that would fight fiercely, with no honour save their own twisted logic, to defend what might or might not be an unkillable fledgling god. A hopeless cause to save the world seemed like a righteous quest to the young Epona, and she could not keep her lopsided grin from showing and her tail from swishing in delight. After Vasma filled them in on the spiritual and magical aspects, she could figure out tactics easily enough, and it looked like she might be the only true military veteran here, so it might even fall to her to sketch out a rough plan of attack. Knowing that, her heart began to pace faster, and the upswelling in her breast would not die down. She was going to finally do something worthwhile, and make Captain Kildare and Ser Taldan proud, even (and especially, something in the back of her mind whispered) if she gave her life to do so.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:36 am 

Medals: 3
Longest RP (2) Dedicated Partner (1)

Vival sniffed annoyedly at Brom. While the shaking earth had unsettled him, it hadn’t nearly bothered him as much as it had Brom. When the big cat-like creature hid behind him, Vival craned his neck and gave him a pointed look. His giant, reptilian head then swiveled back towards the rest of the group, watching Silas and Floriad find their footing on the earth and coming to terms with what had just occurred. The cacophony of noises, whether from the horses or the cockatrices that had been agitated, made him snort, a cloud of dust from the earth puffing up where he’d blown out air from his nostrils.

Silas and Floriad exchanged worried looks, both of their eyes glued to the pillar. They had not exactly signed up for this, but both of them seeming willing enough to follow Tarkus forward. While Floriad eyed the newcomers—well, new to her, they’d probably been in Marveila at least a little bit longer than she had—quizzically, Silas seemed more preoccupied with getting himself armed. While he mostly walked around in his armor—he was never one for heavy armor, and preferred leather to anything that would restrict his movements—he thought it would be a good idea to give himself a once over. Before shaking himself out, he made sure his gauntlets were secure, and then, maybe a little less carefully than Kaya had, retrieved his mace from the “scabbard” he’d fashioned. Upon hearing Tarkus talk down “simple blades”, he frowned. He never quite had the knack for magic, and everything he’d encountered before went down with a few heavy blows.

Floriad could see that Silas was looking down at his mace and snickered. She twirled her staff around as though it was weightless, and gently pressed the base of it to the ground. “That shouldn’t be a problem for me,” she sneered. There was plenty of earth under her feet to manipulate, and she was ready for a good scuffle. Her mood cooled when Kaya started speaking, because advocating for brute force in a fight that required finesse was definitely going to boost Silas’ ego—and she was going to have none of that. She watched Kaya retrieve the tubers, eyes widening. Pushing a lock of hair out of her eyes, she approached the vegetables. When the Epona’s eyes met the Sidhe’s, she snatched a tuber and pranced over to Silas. “Here, take this,” she said.

Silas looked at the tuber, and then back at Floriad. He was about to say something unkind, until he witnessed what Kaya was doing. Two white eyebrows raised on his forehead, and then he was mimicking her actions. He made sure to get the surface of his mace—at least the parts where it mattered—covered adequately. When he saw her eat it, he hesitated with the remnants close to his mouth. Floriad pushed the tuber into his gob. The Dokkalfr sputtered and shoved her away from him. He made an interesting noise. When Kaya jerked a thumb in Floriad’s direction, she nodded fervently. The head of Silas’ mace began to glow.

“Let’s do it!” exclaimed Floriad, shoving her staff into the air. Silas trudged a less enthusiastically behind her, and Vival slithered around to accompany them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14