All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:26 pm 

Depressingly Melancholy

Blog: View Blog (0)

This is my NRP (Nation Role Play) hybrid idea I've been throwing in the cbox and forums lately if anyone was paying attention. It has finally came to a level of development that I am ready to present it to see if there is any interest in it before developing it further into something tangible.

For those who are historically, militarily and politically savvy this is the game for you. For the uninitiated then think of this RP like any of your regular RPGs such as D&D or Pathfinder except you are not playing with a single character or two but with an entire nation with its own cast at your whim. The nation is essentially the character and its choices have a much larger impact on a world level than on a local level.

The Role

You take the primary role as the nation's governing body through the king or queen (and whatever title you want) or a council along with advisers and other people of importance involved with the running of your nation. The author is responsible for the actions of the characters and the people of their nation as a whole which can influence other aspects of the world as history is written.

The Twist

The twist to this RP is while your leader(s) have a lot of influence in the direction you take your country, you still have to factor the will of the people. Even a tyrant with an iron grip on the land they still have to deal with the throes of maintaining order and keeping the country functioning in some way or it will devolve into chaos and you'll be left controlling a mere faction of the nation.

The hybrid portion bit comes in from using this site's dice mod. Like an RPG there will be die rolling to determine the fate on how good or how bad an outcome to an event or situation is or if there is a change in the status quo. It is a method to take away the utopian or "everything is awesome in my nation" complex of the RP. No nation is perfect, there will always be problems and local disputes to deal with. How you handle them is ultimately up to you as the author and as the leader(s)you play as. You are writing your own nation's history as well as the worlds' and when things go awry to the point your nation ceases to exist then it become a footnote. The dice mod is also used to keep the powergaming warmonger in check because you really do not win a NRP like you a normal strategy game. The reason being because everyone else has their own method on establishing a civilization to stand the test of time.

There is no real goal to this other than establish the best civilization your imagination allows and writing our very own history in a world we will forge through whatever means we decide to go to. Through conquest, diplomacy or innovation...whatever path you choose.

Genre:
I've had some considerations to which genre to do this RP in and ultimately what will be more practical if a certain amount of people express interest in this project.

-Scifi- Typically this is one genre I'm a bit leery about for the simple fact that the scale of it so large and technology can reach absurd levels of advancement it will be difficult to keep the utopian and powermonger nations in check even with the dice mod. The plus side to this you can create your own race from scratch.

-Modern- For those who want to stick to the basics in advancing through alternate history on a no-frills world much like ours except the geography and nations are much different.

-Supernatural- Similar to modern except there are supernatural elements involves such as mutants, magic and monsters. Oh my.

-Alternate History- We basically play the role of existing nations in the real world except they go on different historical paths.

-Fantasy- This a genre which it can go either way and like the scifi one there are options to create your race from scratch. This can evolve from a time of magic to where the world industrializes and moves from the old world of magic to a brave new world of technology and industry.

-Dark Fantasy- A similar approach with fantasy it is in a darker and grittier realm of fantasy that really does not advance too far. The same option to create your own race is there with a much more grim overtone to the world ala Game of Thrones and Age of Conan style fantasy.

RP Style:
I am not sure if this should Beta, Alpha or even the Cave because some people, including yours truly, would like to experiment with questionable if not downright controversial means of claiming and establishing power. The Cave will be option for some of us who want to live out their inner fascist fantasies upon unfortunate denizens of another country. Bad things will happen.

What is Required:
A serious attitude towards running a nation and telling a story is an absolute must for this RP. A good grasp on politics is an added bonus but I'll be making a guide and hinting towards what is going to go down. Every choice has a consequence in a narrative that everyone is collaboratively writing history of the roles of nations in the world.

I'm opened to some ideas and constructive criticisms before putting this ship out to sea.

I can hear what you're thinking, all your doubts and fears. And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find the reason I'm here. And in time all things shall pass away in time, you may come back someday. You know your days are numbered. Count them one by one. Like notches in the handle of an outlaw's gun. You can outrun the devil if you try, but you'll never outrun the hands of time. In time, there'll surely come a day in time, all things shall pass away. In time, you may come back, some say. To live once more or die once more, but in time, your time will be no more.

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:01 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

I am always up for an NRP. I've played several over the years.

Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) was one of my favorites. It was set in a fictional world based on earth in the 1950s, with a start date of 1/1/60. We had three Global Superpowers. I was one and controlled an arsenal of Nuclear Weapons. It was during this NRP that I wrote a 55-paragraph post including subjects on five different topics.

Galactic Political Roleplay (GPRP) was a fictional galaxy of my design that allowed the authors to write as a planetary government. It lasted a very long time.

I've done Midieval, 19th century and fantasy advanture. Only once did I participate in a NRP based on real nations. In that experiment, Alternate History Role Play (AHRP) I played Lebanon to begin and later France. The NRP started in January 2008. We picked up wehre the nations left off on the start date and went in our own directions.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:10 pm 

Depressingly Melancholy

In that case I will have need of your previous experiences with NRPs because the ones I happen to be in always blew up in disaster. This will be my first group NRP I have hosted since 2007, so I really want this to work and last a while. My last one was somewhat successful if it wasn't hijacked and turned into something that had nothing to do with the original idea.

What are your recommendations of implementing a dice mod for random events and other mechanisms?

I'm also leaning towards Fantasy world for further flexibility and user created content. I love to see the creativity of other authors put into nations, races and cultures.

I can hear what you're thinking, all your doubts and fears. And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find the reason I'm here. And in time all things shall pass away in time, you may come back someday. You know your days are numbered. Count them one by one. Like notches in the handle of an outlaw's gun. You can outrun the devil if you try, but you'll never outrun the hands of time. In time, there'll surely come a day in time, all things shall pass away. In time, you may come back, some say. To live once more or die once more, but in time, your time will be no more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:22 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Ghost wrote:
What are your recommendations of implementing a dice mod for random events and other mechanisms?

I'm also leaning towards Fantasy world for further flexibility and user created content. I love to see the creativity of other authors put into nations, races and cultures.

I have had my fair share of NRPs blowing up in our faces as well. I hate starting NRPs simply because they lean towards the catastrophic. Everyone wants to be Rome during the Rise, but never the Fall. We cannot all be the British Empire of the 15th to early 20th century or the United Sates of America after WWII. There must be more nations that either fall or remain stagnant. No one wants to take those routes.

I recall doing an RP one time where I had a very large nation, probably ranked about 15 in a field of 100. Yes, it was massive. One of the authors wanted to end his time in a blaze of glory. Since, my nation bordered his, he agreed to allow me to attack him. Although he had fewer than a dozen aircraft, he only had 7 infantry. I sent in a Corps+ sized force following Aircraft intended to suppress enemy air defense. He refused to roll over and die. It was disgusting. I'm talking an army of 50 or 60,000 v 7 and his immortals resisted immeasurably. !Amazing

They were freakin' Gods!

I have two suggestions regarding random generation and technology levels. The first is review the Tech tree for Sid Meier's Civiliaztion V. Obviously, that tree spans a 6,000 year time span of technological innovations, but it gives you an idea of where to begin. If you set up a tech tree and publish how nations can move up the ladders, what pre-requisites they need, what resources they need and what they must spend to get to the next tech level, it would keep the gameplay fair and even. But that might be a bit much. It really depends on what you put into it. But some form of a tech tree is a good place to start.

The second suggestion is setting up a point system and various conditions the author/player could choose from while using their points to build specific traits for the author's nation. The challenge here is that someone in the Thread Moderator "staff" should have the responsibility of holding authors accountable for those traits. A player/author can choose negative traits in order to offset buying a wonderful positive trait. But then during the In Character thread, the player chooses to ignore that negative trait. It should be treated as a handicap. The Thread Moderator would choose someone to do police this behavior or take that responsbility upon himself.

Fantasy is an excellent choice for a world. I would recommend that you also choose a tech level based on where mankind was at some point in history. Do you want gunpowder to be a significant element in your world or will edged and blunt weapons be the mainstay?

Take a look at the Bakushima link in my signature. It was a world I created for a Fantasy based NRP set in a fictional universe restricted to 17th century technology. Bakushima is based off Feudal Japan, The Blue man Group and The Legend of the Five Rings.

You shoud give each nation a restriction as to the percentage of the population that is "force sensitive" or prone to magic. I believe the chance of possessing magical abilities in Bakushima is 12.5% or one eighth of the population....
Gunther wrote:
one eighth (12.5%) of the population is gifted with the ability to use magic. One thirty-second (3.125%) of the population is also gifted with an empathic ability. The percentage of Baku who simultaneously possess the ability to employ magic and active empathy is less than .01% of the population which translates roughly into 100 Baku.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

Last edited by Gunther on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:47 am 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Gunther wrote:
The challenge here is that someone in the Moderator "staff" should have the responsibility of holding authors accountable for those traits. A player/author can choose negative traits in order to offset buying a wonderful positive trait. But then during the In Character thread, the player chooses to ignore that negative trait. It should be treated as a handicap.

Hi! =)

That's not a challenge, but it also doesn't fall under the responsibilities of staff to moderate the rules of individual RPs. This is the responsibility of the GM, and the GM only. We only uphold the rules of the site.

Best of luck with your nation rp!

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:43 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Pardon me Sissy. It was never my intent to imply site administrators get involved in individual threads. This would be someone chosen by the thread moderator. I don't use the term GM for Game Moderator because I am not playing a game. PM sent.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:12 am 

Depressingly Melancholy

Well it can be a game, technically. I entertained the idea of being the Realm Moderator (RM) but Game Moderator would probably be better for solidarity reasons. If this goes official then It'll be my responsibility to be a GM to keep the chaos down to a level without bringing the full might of the administrators.

Gunther does have a good point. Several, actually.

Your suggestions are the exact same things I'm having difficulty deciding where to go with it. Reason being is the tech tree leaves things too rigid for some user based content, which I love to use. Everyone has different ideas on technology and I like to incorporate that than just using my own bland ones. Secondly your suggestion of the point system is what I had in mind but it is focused towards nation building when registering to join the RP in the OOC then over time you gain points like XP with a typical RPG to develop a part of your nation or offset a certain disadvantage. I wanted to use the dice mod to randomly determine what a nation's flaws would be to work around.

There will be gunpowder in this fantasy setting, but it won't be readily available from the get go. The world of magic is changing as more technologies are being discovered and it eventually will come down to having technologies similar to pre-WWI levels. Eventually.

There are limiting factors on the percentage of mages or people who bear the mark of the mage who are capable of using magic. Some races are more prone to have it than others and also national traits on their locality. You have some places on the map (a work in progress) that yields more people born there to have the mark.

This is still being written up as I go along. This is simply to see if there is any interest in it or not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:16 pm 

Depressingly Melancholy

Perhaps this needs to be put back in the yard until I can figure out what to do with it.

TBA