All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sky island idea!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:25 pm 

Bored.

Blog: View Blog (0)

I've had this idea for a while now. It's kinda done a lot, I know, but we can put our own little spin on it~
I'm not sure whether this would go in Omega, Beta or Alpha, so I put it here. Plus, it needs more development before I put it to the test~

Ive yet to develop a plot yet, but I'm thinking something like the sky kingdom is slowly falling towards the Earth or something.

The setting is, of course, a large island in the sky. It has lakes, mountains, valleys, forests and all that, but it's all quite colder because it's higher up out of sight of the humans living on Earth. There's a cloud layer, and then above that there's the floating island. It also has a kingdom, AKA, a castle and a village surrounding it.

The technology could go two ways: It could either be less developed, so the kingdom is more of a dark ages kingdom, or it could become sci-fi like and be much more developed, and magic has been left behind. Maybe the reason that the sky islands are falling to Earth is that the Celestials are angry that the inhabitants have strayed from the old ways? Or maybe it's because the inhabitants ran out of power to keep the island afloat?

If it goes down the sci-fi route, maybe there will be time travelling, and the only way to stop the kingdom from falling is that someone has to go to the olden days and stop magic from being left behind? Maybe that would disrupt the time flow, or maybe the person who went wouldn't be able to come back? Maybe, if it goes down the dark ages route, everyone will need to gather magic and perform a ritual to keep the island afloat? Idunno!

XD I'm asking too many questions. But this is the thing so far, I'll probably change it up a bit, not sure if anyone's had this idea before. Be sure to say what you think of it, I don't mind criticism as long as it's constructive and not just "Oh it's rubbish. It's been done 1,000 times, change it naow!!!1!"

Bye~

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Sky island idea!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:55 am 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Hey, floating islands aren't new, but I've never seen an RP where the plot is 'ohnoes we're plummetting out of the sky and we're gonna die in like 4 days and we don't like the people below and it's scary'. I could def get behind that.

Personally, I picture it more like the steampunk-y vibe of Bioshock Infinite, but magic could definitely work too? Or hey, mix it up, that's always fun =D

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:49 am 

Bored.

Nice to see that someone's interested :D

Never actually played Bioshock infinite, lol. But I do like steampunk~

I have no idea what I would do if I mixed it up. Probably something like guns that shot magical energy or magical scientific stuff. I prefer one or the other with medieval/sci-fi, I'm not always sure whether it's gonna end up as "OMG magic is sooo much better then science" or vice versa. Maybe it's scientificly advanced but magic keeps it afloat. That could work... :/

I think I'm gonna keep to the plummeting down to the Earth plot. I heard there's clocks, so we could set a time limit of like, a week, and after a week if no one stops it the island crashes down and we could just go from there~

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:30 pm 

if you're into steampunk you should totally play infinite it's the prettiest game in the world and has steampunky elements and a plot twist that will frick you up

Magic keeping the island afloat, but the populace still being scientifically advanced, could definitely work in my opinion. Especially if magic is this, like archaic thing that no one is really sure how works anymore, and people are looking for science to help them. Maybe that could work as a plot element. But that's all up to you if you decide to go forward with your idea!

And yes, the clock BBCode is a thing, and it'd be cool to have it incorporated. Although I'd give it more than a week, considering a lot of people here have busy lives and might not be able to post right away. Depends on which forum you put the thing in, though!

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:42 pm 

Bored.

Know what I just thought of? DRAGONS. Yes please xD

But in all seriousness, dragons could be kinda cool. Incredibly overdone and overrated, but still cool. Depends on what the people want and whether dragons would fit into the RP properly, instead of it all being OMG IT'S A DRAGON.

Now that I think about it, meh. But there could be some mythical creatures on the island, just not player characters, if you know what I mean. Like, you wake up and there are huge birds in the sky and that's a normal thing on the island. Totally isn't a normal thing to have huge birds flying through the sky when you wake up, but giant flying islands aren't exactly normal either~

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:10 pm 

Well, I suggest you let it sit for a little while and develop stuff - where you want the RP to go, more specifics about the setting, etc - and then throw up an Interest Check in one of the forums!

Don't be discouraged if it takes you a little to get to the desired number of players, it usually takes a little while. If you're unsure how to pimp your ad, I know there are a couple of Mentors out there who really have a way with words =D

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:47 pm 

I'd be interested in this!

A thought about having the clock is that rather than setting a time limit, perhaps the island would crash after a certain number of posts? I don't know if that's really a good idea, but it could be a way to set a deadline for the island crashing while making sure everyone has a chance to post at least a few times before the island goes down.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:33 pm 

Bored.

I'm not actually saying that the RP will end in a week in no one does anything, lol. I'm just saying that the island will crash and people decide whether their character survives the crash and explores the surface world, or dies, in which case they can either leave the RP or make a new character that -OMG HUGE MOTH IN MY ROOM AND IT JUST LANDED ON ME- lives on the surface~

Yeah, a huge moth just flew into my room and I have no idea how to get it back out...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:01 pm 

I'm definitely interested in this, Byakuren. Shoy's idea about having the island crash after a certain number of posts would help keep everyone on the same page, although I do think that the RP doesn't necessarily have to end after such an event.

As for dragons, maybe the last of the dragons is the only one who can recover magic, or teach it to a select few, but he's reluctant to do so for whatever reason. Or maybe he's not entirely friendly, easily accessible?

I like the content overall. It has a nice feel to it, and seems quite refreshing. :D If you get the OOC thread up, I'll most definitely joint. :D