All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:51 pm 

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.
Medals: 8
Dedicated Partner (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (15)

Alright, we've asked the question before, but now we're asking again. When we put up contests, we get feedback on what people would like to see. We've gotten some good participation, but I think we could get even more people involved. Instead of asking on the facebook group, I'm posting it on the forums and looking to you, the members!

What would you like to see in future contests? Bearing in mind, we have the following:
  • Story (both done around themes we create and inspired by pictures)
  • Graphics/Drawing
  • Re-Write the Lyrics
  • Arcade
Of those contests that we have, what would you like to see within them? Any specific genres or ideas? Or, is there a new contest idea that we don't already do that you'd like to see us try?

Let us know!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:20 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

Military Historical Fiction

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:32 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

If people were up to it, a funniest pic contest could be... funny?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:38 pm 
Savior

Medals: 4
Completed RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

RP world building competition, see who has the most depth and interesting ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:51 pm 

I have returned

Oh my goodness I would own that contest, I have two universes that I'd kill to have a RP in and this would be the best way to introduce them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 pm 

Medals: 1
1st Year (1)

I would work diligently on that!

Hello there. Despite calling myself a madman, I am quite friendly. My door is open should one need an ear, so feel free to consult me should life be getting on your tail. I also have a link to my resume here as well as a work in progress list of my characters here. I will likely be serving some plot cakes over the summer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:15 pm 

Blog: View Blog (1)

Well I was hoping to do one of the stories inspired by pictures one of these days.

As for other ideas, for stories, you can always give some restrictions, or items that need to be included within the stories. For example, each story might have to include a lightning bolt, the dialogue "here we come!" and something red. Maybe a short time limit for the stories as well.

I love sci-fi, but comedy or romantic comedy might be fun and crowd pleasing.

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:17 pm 

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.

Well, in order to have the stories "qualify", we have restrictions, things they must include and such of that nature, so that part is a given :) With all contests, we have to have some sort of an equalizer, otherwise it's too broad, too objective.

Good feedback thus far, guys! Keep 'em coming!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:19 pm 
Savior

Completed RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Supporter (1)

A contest about choosing what contests there are.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:20 pm 

Owner

That's kind of what I'm asking for now, sans having it in contest form.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:21 pm 

RN (Ratchet Nurse)

Global Moderator

Funniest Member (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)

Maybe there can be something that involves the use of writing with a song? For instance, you would pick a song you think inspires you to write a story, then you would write it including the feeling or meaning you get from the song, perhaps it would be a requirement that you must use lyrics, and use it to write a story. Not sure if that is too broad, but it sounds cool in theory. !eyebrow

Edit: I hope this isn't too similar an idea to Re-write the lyrics.

TWERk twERK tWeRK | +
Fire, fire burning bright,
Turn my darkness into light!
Take away my bad luck and ill,
Now bring me nothing but goodwill.
Bad luck came and stayed too long,
Be gone forever, be gone, be gone!
With this fire burning bright,
Bring me good luck, bring me light!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:22 pm 

Owner

We've considered that, but it's too broad to allow people to choose the song. Then, we'd have a plethora of different songs, different feelings, and you can't really judge a contest with entries that are so vast in nature fairly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:33 pm 

RN (Ratchet Nurse)

Global Moderator

Here's another one I think would be cool. What if there was a poem, or some other kind of short piece, and members had to write about their interpretation? No one interpretation could be right, but the ideas formulated behind it and the skill at which the writing is executed could make for some good judging. The biggest problem I see with this idea is members having very similar interpretations, which is why I think the poem should be something really unknown or created specifically for this contest.

Or similar to the write a story in a picture idea, maybe if we could find an out of context, random video and then members had to come up with a story about what has happened, and then describe the scene?

As a final interesting idea, maybe members could submit stories about their absolute favorite character--could be OC or cannon, but kinda going off the idea of Favorite Characters--members can use them to write a story with a word limit and submit them for judging.

TWERk twERK tWeRK | +

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:34 pm 

Owner

Leumas wrote:
Or similar to the write a story in a picture idea, maybe if we could find an out of context, random video and then members had to come up with a story about what has happened, and then describe the scene?

We have this one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:50 pm 

RN (Ratchet Nurse)

Global Moderator

Oh okay, coolness. =)

TWERk twERK tWeRK | +

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:01 pm 

Original RP (1) Best Fight (1)
Longest RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)

Similar to some of the other ideas suggested, but what if someone had to write a reply to a post (with that post being the prompt)?

Or perhaps you can both use a prompt (art/song/whatever) but also limit the types of responses allowable (e.g. must be letter format or must be a sonnet or must be 300 words exactly). It'd be moving away from "rp" but may push some people to try new writing styles (in the vein of "for new writing!").

I thought the world building one might be a good idea, but perhaps you should make some hard limit so it's not "someone spent five years coming up with this idea on their own for fun" vs "someone tried to make a world because of the contest prompt"? I guess one way to limit would be if you (Aster/Efer/whoever) drew a map and said "make a world based off this map" as the prompt. Not only will there be a contest winner, but people could use these worlds for RPs. (yay dual use!)

What if a prompt was "make the reader happy/sad/laugh/feel an emotion"? There'd be a lot of variety but it might be interesting to read..

If you wanted to push it more towards work/real life: read an article and respond to it? Write a response to a 'debate' prompt? (running the risk of people being offended though.) Read a book and write a 'paper' in response? Maybe choose a genre and have people write a book review about a book of their choosing? The 'winner' is whoever convinces the most people to read that book.

This doesn't really hit your "get more participation" goal, but I would think "besides giving out an award, what do we (the admin) want to accomplish from the contest? Push people to think about an event? Encourage more RPs of a certain genre? Encourage more people to interact? Have people write fun stories? Get a new banner/icon/whatever? What contest can we do to encourage that action that we want?" would be a good way to think up contest prompts. What's a "need" or "desire" that CF has? Can we use a contest to accomplish that need or desire? I think it'd be a nice way for the community to 'give back' to CF. And I think it'd be more meaningful than just a badge to know the time spent responding to a contest led to something (an RP, it helped CF somehow, etc.). It's probably because I dislike reading RPs, but I don't even bother reading the responses to finished contests. And (maybe?) that's kind of sad for those contestants who put time/effort into their response but no one looks at it after the judging ended.

Just my.. normal verbal vomit. (quite a bit more than two cents.. =__=;; ) Sorry!

i turn from the mirror, that desperate plea! i refuse and can't believe those eyes belong to me!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:20 pm 

Owner

Medals: 14
Villain of the Month (2) Original Character (1)
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)

We have had competitions based on promoting the site and such, but people rarely take the time to do that even if it was as simple as sharing or liking a link that the site's webpage posted. (Save for one person, Ristina who promotes this site sometimes more than I do =D)

The overall idea of the contests is to allow people a chance to show off and to demonstrate their talents in a more public fashion. We have sections and threads for people to show off their works in various forms, but as you point out not many people take the time to read or to go combing through stuff (i.e threads written by people other then themselves or their friends.).

As administration we feel that there are those out there who want to write something a bit different, or challenge themselves to get something done in a time frame that is completely of their own design and creation. Not an rp where other people contribute, but it is something that they conceived of, got it together and showed people what they could do. To keep these things fair we don't post the authors and so people have to actually read and take their own time to appreciate what other members have taken the time and effort to put forth. This site is fairly large and people and their talents may get lost in the sea of other creative individuals, so the contest is there to help people stand out and to a greater extent help other members get to know one another outside of an rp setting.

"I really liked that second story(or drawing, etc) entry from the contest, I wonder who did that I would like to get to know them better"

This is the scenario that we hope we can promote and achieve. Or, even something as simple as, "That person won a contest medal, I wonder what for?" A few clicks later and they are reading over the competition and the entry, and then talking to this person about their entry.

There are a lot of talented people on this site, a lot, and the staff and I largely know of them because we read the threads and check the posts for moderation purposes. Yet, you can never know if someone else is even bothering to read something of yours unless they are in your thread, which is a sad a thought given how many people log into the site on a daily basis.

"Any fool can write. It takes a genius to read"~Dadsky.
"Draco didn’t listen, so Hermione shut him down the best way she knew how"......"She set that ****ing on fire."
"Ausan: She's beauty, She's grace, She'll punch you in the face"~Smexy Awesome Fossil
Like Gaming? Want to Game with me? Or even just show your support? Check out my Twitch Channel!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:52 am 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Asteria wrote:
We've considered that, but it's too broad to allow people to choose the song. Then, we'd have a plethora of different songs, different feelings, and you can't really judge a contest with entries that are so vast in nature fairly.

So how about you choose the song? In that case, it'll be very similar to the "write a story from this picture", but based on sound instead of an image. You could also do like Leu suggested and make it a rule that participants have to use the lyrics in some form.

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:04 am 
Subscriber

1st Year (1) Supporter (3)
Blog: View Blog (1)

We could have a competition about who can give the most stirring/interesting rendition of a set piece of text, for instance the St. Crispin's Day speech.

This is a totally original idea that I did not steal from Leumas at all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:51 am 

RN (Ratchet Nurse)

Global Moderator

In the way of suggesting a theme, or perhaps a genre we can aim for, what about futuristic?

Often, I find it hard to get into a futuristic roleplay because the setting isn't believable, or maybe it's not fantastical enough? This could also be two separate categories and maybe it would be best to only pick one trait. Not sure if this harkens back to Zens idea, but here's my thought.

The objective can be to create either the most realistic, or the most fantastical futuristic world. Make it something 1000s of years in the future, so plenty of technological advances will have time to take place and be implemented. Members can draw inspiration from movies but more importantly, their own originality in their minds. Yusss...da mind. !psychotic

Member with the most in-depth, fantastical/believable world (entry) wins!

TWERk twERK tWeRK | +