All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your First Character
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:11 pm 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

We've talked about our favorite characters, our discoveries during character creation, what we think other characters should do, and know this has been brought up before amongst the chatter that happens here, but...

Who or what was your first character ever created, when you began your roleplay journey? How well received were they? Do you still write them, or are they just a memory?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Your First Character
View Likes PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:15 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Well, my first character ever roleplay-wise was a female barbarian for a tabletop group of AD&D. She's a long forgotten memory now, but she was my gateway to heavier dru... years and years of fun.

As for online (chat) roleplaying, my first character was... Hermione Granger. I know, I know. But it was a lot of fun to write her, and I did so for years, developing her into an adult through the roleplay.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:05 pm 

Medals: 6
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (1)
1st Year (1) Supporter (1)

My first character was named Sojourn Fan, I used that username back then because Sojourn was my favorite Crossgen comic book and thus I was a fan of it. Not very creative, I know. LOL.

Crossgen had a RP section and at first, your character's name was just your user name and my character got nicknamed SF for short. She was an archer goddess and look wise, looked like the main character from Sojourn named Arwyn. Over the years, she had lots of adventures with others gods (called the First in the Crossgen Universe). Despite playing gods, my friends and I never tried to god mod them, they had strengths and weaknesses. They were like humans, just with immorality and powers.

There was a story going on with the new gods vs Ancient Gods and I literally jumped in. I had no idea what I was doing but the other players were so welcoming and helpful. For my first attempt at RPing, I found the right people. Those were good times and I made some good friends who helped me become a much better writer then I was when I began.

I used SF for about eight years. Our Crossgen stories lasted longer then the actual company that brought us together did. She had ended up having a big backstory and family. Involved in many battles/stories over the years. I ended up creating many more characters for our mythology based world. One of my favorites was a trio of dragons that talked like the Dinobots from Transformers. As my friends began to disappear, I ended up writing a nice ending for SF and her family. I was with for her so long, she deserved a proper ending. There was a brief attempt of a revival of my old forum late last year, it lasted about a month. I brought SF back and renamed her Sojourn, but it didn't last and she went back into retirement.

I think part of the reason I used Sojourn as my username here was a shout out to my first character. Plus, I still like the comic, even if it did end in 2004.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:44 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

I'm just going to say two things. My first table top character used in AD&D circa 1978 is a distant memory. My first PbP character ever made is a distant memory as well. I cannot recall that one either and that was only about eight or nine years ago. Sucks getting old. I might be able to find the AD&D character because no one used computers then and it was written on paper. Did I mention I'm old? I don't throw anything away. Maybe I'll scan it in and post it here? Well at least a link because it would larger than 700 pixels.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:18 pm 

Oh, jeez! Not too dissimilar, here....an elvish thief in D&D...who got smished pretty quick in. Much to my youthful horror, I might add. That didn't happen to our plucky heroine, in the books and shows! (Well, this was years before Mr. Martin, and Game of Thrones...)

My second character was pretty equally short lived, and even more forgettable.

By the third, however, my brother (our GM) had changed his style to accommodate the idea of character growth, and development. Which per force including living a bit longer.

And that character became both a favorite, and an archetype, whom I still trot out to play in the present.

-Heather Nova, Winter Blue

Hawkgirl: "Standard interrogation technique. I was bad cop."
Superman: "You're always bad cop."
Hawkgirl: "Why play against type?"
Urd: "I'll just be Santa's little helper...so to speak."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:16 am 

Depressingly Melancholy

I had many characters in the past, most of them not worth mentioning, especially my first ones. My first decent character I remember playing was a sentient robot named Huxley. He was an old war relic left to rot in a scrap pile until a young girl who had a knack for fixing broken and forgotten things gave him new purpose to be a guardian and why there was so few humans left in the world.

I can hear what you're thinking, all your doubts and fears. And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find the reason I'm here. And in time all things shall pass away in time, you may come back someday. You know your days are numbered. Count them one by one. Like notches in the handle of an outlaw's gun. You can outrun the devil if you try, but you'll never outrun the hands of time. In time, there'll surely come a day in time, all things shall pass away. In time, you may come back, some say. To live once more or die once more, but in time, your time will be no more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:21 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

I'm positive my original character created in 1978 is long gone. But I have found one of the originals, probably made in 1980 or 1981. His name was Jade Browning. He was an Assassin who concealed himself as a thief. I scanned in the original Character Sheet here. It is the last incarnation of the Character Sheet since at the time of this writing he was Level 6. He had leveled up that far.

The Archives on my first PbP characters are gone. I found one from 2010...
Name: Pierre Guilbeault (pr. Gee – Bow`)
Place of Birth: Bergerac, France (Bordeaux Wine Country)
Son of a dirt farmer, in the bread basket of Europe.
Height: 6’1”
Weight: 200 Lbs
Physique: Muscular
Hair color: Black
Eye color: Blue
Description: Pierre has blue piercing eyes and an oversized nose. He wears a small black mustache that stops at the corners of his mouth and is trimmed to pencil thin. His black hair is short cropped “High and Tight”. There is a scar originating above his left eye and extending down his cheek ending at his jaw bone. He is missing the middle and ring finger of his left hand. He has several small scars from shrapnel scattered about his torso and upper thighs. Pierre is solid and maintains a heightened state of readiness.

Languages: French & English

Bio: Pierre never wanted to be a farmer like his father and joined the French Army right out of High School. He adapted easily to military life as if he were born to serve. His first term of enlistment found him assigned to the 7th Battalion, Chasseurs Alpins in Bourg-Saint-Maurice, near the Italian and Swiss borders. He was promoted to the rank of Caporal with the 7th Alpine Hunters and remained with his first unit for three years. Next, Pierre attended Parachutist training and was then assigned to the 1st Parachute Chasseur Regiment at Pamiers. He served for 6 years with the 1st PCR where he was promoted to Caporal-Chef. Later, He became an instructor at the French Foreign Legion base in French Algeria, where he served for 4 years and then on to the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment in Calvi, France on the Island of Corsica. He spent 4 years with the FFL Parachute Regiment and the remaining 5 years of his career with the 1st Marine Infantry Parachute Regiment, France’s version of the SAS. He trained in Light Weapons Specialty and Counter Terrorism prior to being accepted into the Regiment. While serving with the Regiment, he received his scars from undisclosed operations. Upon discharge from the Army, he was promoted to Caporal-chef (1e classe). It was as a result of his injuries, that Pierre had to leave the military. With no desire for a civilian career, he turned to his father’s farm and quickly tired of the dull routine.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:56 am 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)

There are a lot of really cool stories here.

@Gunther 1978? Wow you are an old man ;) I mean... it's cool that you were able to find some of your old stuff. I've never really gotten into DnD myself, but seeing a character sheet like that is pretty neat. Maybe I'm weird. I like seeing how certain things evolved and such.

My first character was a neko. Like a lot of people, yes, I went though that phase in middle school where anime was the best thing since sliced bread and fangirled over... oh so much. Her name was Skyhunter, though her name didn't have any association with the Skyhunters from MtG; I just wanted to show my love for MtG. I still remember that she was pretty well received, in spite of all of my.... flaws when I first began roleplaying.

I still have the picture I used for her appearance as well:

Funnily enough, that character is from a hentai XD Man... the laughs I had when discovering that...

I still write Skyhunter, but she's no longer a neko, she's a weretiger and her name is Skye. A lot of reconstruction was done to her backstory as well, though it's still a work in progress.

Then there was my werewolf, Seravi. Her name was inspired by one of the fusion monsters in Shadow Hearts. Her character... Let's just say she's come a long way. Truth be told, I probably should have scrapped her ages ago. But I was too stubborn, and wanted to have a character based off the Shadow Hearts universe so bad. Also a work in progress.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:20 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

I have heard the terms before and know how to use Google to answer the questions if I want, but i have no idea what neko, Skyhunter, MtG, hentai or Shadow Hearts are. Those fictional creations, I assume became popular when I was an adult working in whatever industry I was in at the time. I did not have the time for games and this form of distraction then. The past 11 years have been great to me as a stay at home parent, so I can experience this world.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:16 am 

Medals: 7
Best Death (1) Funniest Member (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Dedicated (1)

A guy called Trent Godfrey was my first step into roleplaying, though when I thought of him it was more a poor attempt at a character in a novel. I still play him really, and he's gone from small child of a farmhand and a blacksmith into the king of a human nation. He's less of a character now than he is a piece of imaginary history, and i'm slowly uncovering details of his amazing life.

View Likes PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:46 pm 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

I was pretty bad about this. Ironic, considering my non-RP characters were always pretty deep/complex/original.

First characters back when I first RP'd on an MSN group...
I had this dude named "Zanshi" (which I found in Jeffrey's Japanese as meaning "violent death") and was like... I dunno, a demon or demon hunter (this was an Inuyasha RP so it's not like being one of those was "out there" for the setting).
Fought with two chains wrapped around his arms and was basically a rip-off of Omega Red from X-Men.
Had zero personality apart from being a badass, and I don't even think I have the name written down in my character compendium. Might have to give him a revival though.

There was also Sashenko, who was basically Nightcrawler, and had a more emo personality, I think. Can't remember if this was for Inuyasha RP too or something else.

First D&D character was a dude named Cris Cross (because he had X-shaped scars everywhere) who was bonded to a demon (Acolyte of the Skin prestige class, for people who care about 3e supplemental material). Was essentially a rip-off of Venom (notice the pattern here?)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:23 pm 

Teller of Tales and Magical Myths

What a fun topic!

Oh god though...it's been so long I don't know if I remember who came first! If I think all the way back to my pet site days (some 14 years ago...Holy crap!) it would probably be Trident.

A little background: I was in a Full Metal Alchemist fan guild on Zetapets when I first learned to Roleplay. Trident was the character I made for the Guild. She was an Alchemy experiment to create a human...so she was like...part homunculus or something? ANYWAY, she was created by the military and raised to be a soldier. She had water alchemy powers but not in the same way as Sloth. Trident would transmute things into water and then turn that water into ice and steam and whatnot. I distinctly remember her having a transmutation symbol that was combined with the homunculus mark.

Trident was actually a really popular character in the guild despite my shortcomings as an inexperienced writer.

My first DnD character was a half-orc monk whom I love very dearly. Her name is Azdul and she has a very unique backstory to how she became a monk. She was the first character to conflict with my own personal beliefs and thus was a challenge to play sometimes. But now that the RP has ended, I love her dearly and I am glad she managed to survive to the end. I draw her all the time when I'm bored and I often think about her when I come across certain philosophical subjects. She had a very Marcus Arillius mentality and it often conflicted with our very stubborn cleric. Especially when she started working from a morally grey area.

My Resume

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:59 pm 

Rum innate.

Medals: 2
December 2015 (1) Gif Hunt Participant! (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)

Eh, my first character was nothing special, just a mace-wielding cleric. But later on, I played as a Pair_of_Boots. Fun times.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:36 pm 

Depressingly Melancholy

Sentience wrote:
Eh, my first character was nothing special, just a mace-wielding cleric. But later on, I played as a Pair_of_Boots. Fun times.

I doubt most folks remember their very first characters since they're more or less rough drafts versus something more fleshed out and more memorable from first trials.

Just like with prototypes, you discover what needs improvement before putting the final version into production.

I can hear what you're thinking, all your doubts and fears. And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find the reason I'm here. And in time all things shall pass away in time, you may come back someday. You know your days are numbered. Count them one by one. Like notches in the handle of an outlaw's gun. You can outrun the devil if you try, but you'll never outrun the hands of time. In time, there'll surely come a day in time, all things shall pass away. In time, you may come back, some say. To live once more or die once more, but in time, your time will be no more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:31 pm 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

One of my early attempts at a D&D character was a scimitar-wielding ninja who had been raised by renegade Chaotic Good duergar (aka the drow version of dwarves) who had escape to the surface and were traveling as circus performers.
The GM actually called me on it and I ended up dropping out of the game because I was "too creative" for them.

I don't know what I was smoking.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:52 pm 

My first character was a fire Neko named Lavi Pyro. She was sisters with a demon wolf girl and a kitsune. Since I was only in 5th grade at the time she constantly changed to fit whatever I was writing about. I can't say I use her anymore. Her personality was always hyper and childlike and I grew out of that with my characters as I grew up. Can't say I don't miss trying to use her sometimes though.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

The Human/Doctor: But you made me.
The Doctor: Exactly. You were born in battle. Full of blood and anger and revenge. to Rose. Remind you of someone? That's me, when we first met. And you made me better. Now you can do the same for him.
Rose: But he's not you.
The Doctor: He needs you. That's very me.

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:02 am 

eyy, senpai!

Medals: 14
GM of the Month (1) Longest RP (2)
Completed RP (1) Best Entrance (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Ah man, my first character's had a long track record.

It started off ages ago with a shitty not-quite-self-insert, a woefully generic knight with an oversized sword, because I was in that phase. big swords are still cool tho i gotta admit The lack of detail allowed for use in pretty much any vaguely medieval setting there was, and I believe the first one he was ever in was a sort of fantasized Earth kind of world with a vaguely Arthurian vibe, at least as much as a bunch of 12 year olds could comprehend Arthurian stuff.

Time went on and settings came and went, until I learned of a Latin name that really stuck with me about a year into his existence. So he got that new moniker, but was also subject to a shift in focus to another sort of archetype. As many teenage boys were in the early 2000s days when wearing all black and listening to edgy nu-metal all day was The Coolest ****™, I ended up turning into a shitty edgelord where everything was crap like demons, fallen angels, and other 'dark' things, with all the quality that an angsty 14 year old could muster.

So now comes a string of roleplays on some MMO forum for a few years, where he saw new life as a sort of black knight-ish thing, but not a demon because those were evil except when they weren't. Special snowflake syndrome led to instead having some fallen angel stuff going on, because that's totally different and ~super cool and unique~ to an edgy teenager. That was his state for a while, until I started to get out of that phase.

In his next incarnation, in some big dumb fantasy setting I co-GMed ages ago, he moved on into being part of the world's resident winged humanoid race, but started off as demonically possessed. It was a start of the phase's end, after all. The possession stuff eventually did end due to plot things, and he evolved into what was the beginning of his 'modern' phase, the paladin archetype who did heroics with godly power and shiny armour. Still had dumb wings though, and his personality was kind of dull with how seriously he was always played.

That ended, and after a handful of years, I decided to bring him back, but retooled a lot of stuff about him. Gone was the edginess right from the start, and he became much more mellow and prone to having fun, but he was still in a vague, undefined setting. His wings were finally trimmed and the exaggerated JRPG-inspired designs to his equipment became more practical, but still a bit stylized. When he saw use again after that, he was touched up a bit more, but still wasn't quite good enough.

Finally, I started working on a new fantasy setting, and decided to bring him back as part of it. It started offsite prior to my CF sign up, but some unfortunate events led to it not going anywhere when it first began. His mellow personality evolved more to make him generally very approachable, kindhearted, and pure of heart, but at the same time, the biggest nerd to ever exist. Nowadays, I'm still using him in a roleplay here on CF. He's come a long way to get to the point he's at now, and has a strong place in my heart as my favorite OC. And my friends seem to like him a lot, so I'm confident in thinking he's much, much better than he was when he first began.

The whole paladin thing stayed, though power levels were reduced due to me realizing it would be way more fun to develop him to the point he was at before instead of starting that way. And amusingly enough, despite generally stepping away from a lot of my old phases, he's somehow managed to get prettier over the years. Must be the attitude changes lending themselves to a more appealing character overall instead of some angsty teen boy's edge fantasy.

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:37 pm 

Medals: 4
Completed RP (1) Supporter (1)
Recruiter (1) Gif Hunt Participant! (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)

Well, my first character was actually Karasz Zaritoni. I was young at the time when I made him from an mmorpg game. However, I learned about what roleplaying was about and decided to bring him here. Let's just say that I was a noob at a time and he used to be a god awful mary-sue. Eventually, I nerfed him and made him into a fully balanced character.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:12 am 

I would love to get to college already.

Medals: 1
Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

My first character is a boy by the name of Shaun Clemmons. I do still write him, as he has a special place in my heart. You see... He was based off a friend who is now deceased. That is all I wish to say here. But because I knew my friend's mannerisms very well, I like to think he is a well balanced and realistic character.

Roleplays I'm In | +
Children Of The Stars

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:28 am 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)

I started roleplaying at quite a young age, so the first character I can remember would be some throwaway furry Mary Sue that I'd happily burn and throw in a hole nowadays. Terrible character, no way would I write them now.
My first actual long term character, since I was extremely flighty and rarely stuck with an RP except a special few, was a cat. This is making me sound like such a massive scrublord right now, isn't it? Specifically, a warrior cat. Ended up being in a radical love triangle that, if I was able to look back on now, was probably extremely one-dimensional. That roleplay lasted approximately 42,000 Omega-level posts before one of the key users in it got banned from the site for some undisclosed reason, and then everything fell apart from there. I kind of miss the simplicity of that type of roleplaying.