Post subject: All The Questions!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:15 pm 

I'm ALIVE! I think...

Mentor

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (7)

So! I'm the type of person that likes to ask everyone about their opinion on roleplay subjects. This could lean towards talking about what sort of rules you have in your roleplays to what would you do in this sort of situation or how would you go about making a thread go this way. I do this because I'm both curious and also looking for options that may be helpful to me in my current situations.

This is open for anyone to answer other people's question or for people to ask their own questions. Don't be afraid to ask any questions as long as it's roleplay related! We're all here just to give each other a helping hand. It's okay to disagree as this is a sharing field of opinions and not everyone will agree and will have strong feelings about their opinion, but please be respectful!

This is to help other people determine what they would like for their roleplay and to see what other people do.

Here are a few questions I want to ask everyone:

1. How long do you wait before skipping a person in a group RP?
  2. When would you say a roleplay is considered 'Dead' or 'Inactive'?
  3. How do you do a posting order in your own roleplay? Or would you do one at all?
  4. Would you share your ideas with your partner(s) on your plans for the story or would you keep it a surprise? Would this answer differ for you in a 1x1 or Group RP? Would you share a part of your plan but not all?
  5. When you create a roleplay, do you have an outline/plan of how you want things to go?

These are just a few questions. I'm really curious about how people go about writing their roleplays, what information they share with their partner(s), what they would consider a 'dead' roleplay, etc. I'm also curious to see if depending on the roleplay type (1x1 or Group) how different the answers would be.

Many of us have different opinions and I want to hear them! So answer or ask away!

Last edited by Yue on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: All The Questions!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:24 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

1. I usually say a week to two weeks, with a two day extension. If they communicate with the GM / group members, they can have however much time they think they need past that.

2. This one's a tough one. It would depend on the pace of the roleplay, but generally I would say 3-5 months no OOC chatter.

3. Posting order for me is based on post occurrence in the first cycle. I like to have a posting order for plot-heavy, detailed roleplays, and little to no posting order in more casual, shorter post roleplays.

4. In a group: plot secrets are for the GM! If it's something that doesn't directly change the characters or how they would be written, then I think it's fair to leave an air of mystery around things. Main plot points are good to state though.
As for 1x1s, more discussion should take place. I feel in a 1x1, the control level of the story is equal or next-to-equal, while in a group the GM is officially the boss.

5. In groups I'm GMing yes, in 1x1s not as much. As long as the characters have a set goal within the scene, I feel that partners and groups can take the story where they wish! When I create a group I have the main goals and events outlined. How the group decides to reach those goals and events is up to them, with an occasional nudge if required.

I really like the idea of this board and the questions! I look forward to reading other people's responses.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:11 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Okay, let's do this:

Usually two weeks, unless the person has communicated that they need more time. In that case, I can extend it up to a week as a period of grace.

As far as I'm concerned, when nothing (IC or OOC) has been posted in 30 days. Though that's me, depends on each roleplay's pace.

3. How do you do a posting order in your own roleplay? Or would you do one at all?
Usually first come, first serve based off of the initial post. I'm usually one for an order, so people know when they are supposed to post.

4. Would you share your ideas with your partner(s) on your plans for the story or would you keep it a surprise? Would this answer differ for you in a 1x1 or Group RP? Would you share a part of your plan but not all?
As a GM, I like keeping a few things for myself, since surprises are fun. For a 1x1, I'm much more open, since we both need to be on the same page.

5. When you create a roleplay, do you have an outline/plan of how you want things to go?
Depends on how structured it is. For roleplays based on quests, I do have a pretty clear outline written down, and adjust according to in-game events. To broader roleplays, like the one I currently have in the works here, no, I just provide a starting point and let things happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:50 pm 

I'm ALIVE! I think...

Mentor

3rd Year (1)

So to extend on the first questions about when to skip a person in a roleplay. I'm currently in a tricky situation where I have a roleplay with a group and one of my partners hasn't been on the site in two weeks. We're also at a part in the RP that without their character we cannot continue. It's been their turn to post for over a week now.

What would you do in this situation?

In relevant to both the last two questions:

How do you guys go about making the plans and then sharing them? Do you generally have an outline in a document or your thoughts? I've never been good at planning ahead when it comes to stories. Probably the reason why I've never finished something before. xD

I'm also curious about how you would share your ideas with your partner(s). I know you would probably use an OOC chat or PM system but my question is more along the lines of how you go about explaining or talking to your partner. I know this may seem like a silly question but I've never been good at organizing my thoughts and never good at explaining my thoughts to others haha.
Do you share documents with them? Like using google docs. Things like that if that makes sense... haha.

Also, you guys are amazing. Thank you so much for answering my questions. I really love the opinions so far. I have more questions appearing in my head but I'll wait to ask those another time. xD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:29 pm 

Sort of back.

All right, here we go again.

In your situation, I would skip them anyway, and, assuming you're the GM, doing a GM post justifying their character being away (not actually moving their character, more like steering the roleplay away from this character, in a way that leaves an opening for them to come back whenever) and carrying on so everyone else doesn't get stalled.

As for the other questions:

I'm very much a planner, so I hand write a list of events and adjust the list every now and then, based off of what happens during the roleplay that can change the outline. If I have to share with someone (like a Co-GM), I usually create a Google Doc and share it with them so we can brainstorm.

For a 1x1, I usually have a conversation before we get started, and then toss ideas at them whenever one comes. For this case I keep it simple. I'll use an example from a roleplay I actually have going.

Me: "Hey, so, how do you feel about X's apartment being robbed? I think that would prompt her to move out of there and in with Y". (Since we were looking for a way for our characters to move in together and for something to shake up their relationship).

Basically that, I just keep it simple and drop them an e-mail/PM with the idea, and we start discussing, then I make a note so I won't forget.

And you're welcome, feel free to ask any questions! =)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:50 pm 

looking for active people

Medals: 4
Most Patient (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)

nice idea for a thread ^^

usually I have a "rule" for post frequency, like once a week or something like that
then if that person doesn't post for two weeks I make a ooc pst to remind them that it is their turn to post
if no reaction after another week I do the same but now with pinging the person
if still no reaction I either send the person a pm (hoping that they have email notification on) or I decide to skip them somehow
if it is their turn again then the circle starts again and at the end I would have to think about kicking them from the rp no matter how sad that is

as you can see I am pretty lenient

plans... what is that? XD
mostly my plot ideas come from a general idea I somehow get in my head that I sometimes think out a little bit more or not
my other rp ideas come from stories that I sometime started to write but I never finished
in the latter case there is a better plan, at least until the point where I stopped writing or if the rp goes in a completely different direction from the story

so basically no real planning, just some general ideas. In most cases the beginning is pretty planned out and then it turns more and more sandbox

I mostly share the general idea and the general feeling I want from the rp before the rp starts
as for specific events inside the rp it is the see how it goes way
like Shades said: if we think that it is time that X and Y move in together then we just brainstorm some ideas and pick the one that we like best
in group rp's it is not much different. If I have plans than it is more like "somehow move your characters to that place" or "if anyone wants to put the finishing blow to this boss then go ahead". Otherwise it would be something like "anyone have an idea where we could move next?" or "it would be interesting if we could somehow convince that dragon to burn down that castle"

as for my question: How do you handle it if one of your rp's becomes 'dead'? give it up? wait? restart? something else?

Reply time: max. 1-2 weeks. Please send me a reminder (pm, ping, chatroom) if my reply is overdue ^^

here is my Resume<-do read it for better understanding

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:47 pm 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

Yue wrote:

1) Depends on the roleplay and the group. If they aren't doing anything important in the scene, I'd give it a couple days (this is presuming I'm running the roleplay and have to advance things for everybody).

2) If it's been over a week since anyone posted, but people are still talking about it, I'd say it's still "alive" but on life support. If nobody talks about it, then yeah, it's dead.

3) I usually don't like that amount of structure. Especially since posting order usually means a larger group roleplay and those can get too bogged down waiting for everybody.

4) I would prefer to discuss them beforehand. I know it's fun to surprise people, but that only really works in a one direction story. Otherwise you run the risk of the player taking things in a different direction, and it's kind of poor form to go "oh, but, that's not what I had planned" after the fact.

5) Nah, because it never works out that way anyhow.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:12 pm 

I'm ALIVE! I think...

Mentor

3rd Year (1)

@Chemical Lady

I was actually thinking about just asking the same question about what to do when a roleplay dies. I've had one recently where it died after people became too busy and some people just haven't returned to the site. I've been wondering what to do with it.

I'm certain I'll restart it again at some point, but not anytime soon. I find that maybe roleplaying new stories sort of brings out new ideas for the roleplay that died that may help it later on or something.

I also think it just depends on what you want. If it's a roleplay you'd like to restart. If you have people that are interested in it again from before that would like another go, etc. I find that some roleplays I want to restart and other times I just take an idea from that roleplay and put it into another.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 pm 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)

I don’t really run groups, but I guess I’ll weigh in here.

How long do you wait before skipping a person in a group RP?
- I usually give them at least enough time to get in contact with other people in the group, to let them know if/when they might be able to post. Communication and deadlines are important, to help keep things moving along. That said, I don’t really have a specific wait time so to speak; it’s better to just go with your gut in a sense.

When would you say a roleplay is considered 'Dead' or 'Inactive'?
- I usually give it a few months, depending. For the most part I consider a roleplay completely dead when I see nobody posting OOC or mentioning it to anyone else.

Even then, sometimes you can just feel when things are dying off.

How do you do a posting order in your own roleplay? Or would you do one at all?
- I don’t usually do a posting order, and wait for everyone to post before I make my post to move things along.

Would you share your ideas with your partner(s) on your plans for the story or would you keep it a surprise?
- Somethings are best kept a secret, to keep a group on their toes I think. The GM is the puppetmaster, the manipulator, the one who stirs paranoia. But honestly, all the best ideas come from plotting them out with other people.

Would this answer differ for you in a 1x1 or Group RP? Would you share a part of your plan but not all?
- Honestly, I think sharing ideas is a good thing. Partners are there to bounce ideas off of, and hey who knows, maybe they were thinking the same thing.

I like to pick things up and run with them as far and as fast as I can. But at the same time, I hate leaving partners in the dust; one person can’t carry all of the weight.

When you create a roleplay, do you have an outline/plan of how you want things to go?
- Not always. I usually start off with a tiny bud (idea) and hope someone comes around to water it (snatch it up, work with it) and hope it goes somewhere. All of my best roleplays, I think, are 1x1s that just kind of started off with a basic ‘start’, and kind of evolved as we went.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:54 pm 

I'm ALIVE! I think...

Mentor

3rd Year (1)

Thank you all for your input! It's been really awesome learning what everyone's opinions are on the subject and has really helped me in determining what I want for my own roleplays.

I have any question for anyone willing to answer.

How many roleplays would you say you have going on at one moment? And during these roleplays, how active are they? Do you post once a day in them? Maybe some are more active than others? This may also be determined by what forum you have them in, so while explaining which one is more active than other, can you also say which forum those active/less-active RPs are in? I get the feeling Beta tends to have more active roleplays (one where you post more often) than Alpha or the Cave does.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:08 pm 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)

See, I never was at that point where I could consistently post once a day in any roleplay, no matter how much I loved it. That is absolute break-neck speed to me. Sure, a night or two of rapid-posting back and forth in a 1x1 has happened, but in a group? No way. I think at most I've had 7 roleplays ongoing at a time, and that, for me, was a looot. Definitely never getting back to that level considering I'm not at university and actually have to pretend to be good at time management, lmao.

I hold Beta and Alpha/Cave RPs to the same activity standards because of the above. I highly suspect Beta is busier than the others because people simply see the required 5 sentences as opposed to 15, and just find it more relaxing. I felt the same way waaaaayyyyy back when I first got here, though I was more often than not way above the asked Beta reqs. It just made me nervous, y'know? (And for no good reason, really, because 15 sentences really isn't that much.)

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:41 pm 

Can I ask a question even though I already have an answer for myself, just because I want to know what other people do?

most of us are in multiple rp's at the same time, how do you decide in which order you reply when it is your turn in more than one rp at the same time?

I always try to reply first to the rp were it became my turn first (I don't delete notifications until I have replied). So if it takes a while to make a reply for the rp to which I need to reply first (according to my previous sentence) it will mean that the other rp's will have to wait a (little) while even though I could possibly make the reply to one of them faster than with the first-need-to-reply rp

Reply time: max. 1-2 weeks. Please send me a reminder (pm, ping, chatroom) if my reply is overdue ^^

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:19 pm 

Administrator

It depends for me. I don't really have a set order.

In groups, I tend to be a bit slower replying. I don't know. It's weird honestly. Maybe it's because there are more people and I feel like I can slack off a bit lol

I generally write my replies on Word before I post them, keeping the threads I'm currently active with pinned so I know which ones I have not responded to yet. Sometimes if I'm busy with work or something, I write out the replies of everyone I owe, and then post them all at once, that way I know for sure I didn't miss anyone. As a way to keep track. Of course it isn't perfect but it does work for me for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:39 pm 

Sort of back.

I tend to do first-come-first serve, with one exception. I rarely post for groups when I'm working. Mostly because the groups I'm involved in are usually plot-heavy and have longer posts, so I need to take my time reading the previous posts and checking whatever plans I have written down for my next posts (I'm one of those writers XD). So, I do 1x1s (in the order people posted them) during the week, and groups over the weekend.

I like having a system, and it works to make sure I won't forget anyone or stress over something that should be fun. As for how I make sure I won't forget, well... good old pen and paper. As soon as someone posts, I write it down in this format:

Site - Thread title

Under the 1x1 or Group column on my notebook.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:16 pm 

Bored

Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
Gif Hunt Participant! (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

I'm kind of curious to know what others have done, but what was your longest RP (how long did it last?)

For my answer to this, I've had a running RP that lasted over a couple years and multiple different sites. We had to move different sites because of closures and site changes that wouldn't work with forums. Technically, the RP I'm speaking of was a four part RP, but it was amazing in my opinion. I made tons of friends such as @Zana820 and @dreamgurl42 , I would love to RP it over again, but I don't think it would turn out the way the original did.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:29 pm 

I'm ALIVE! I think...

Mentor

3rd Year (1)

@Chemical Lady
For me I try and post in a first come, first served bases. Like if one of the RPs has been waiting for me to post longer than the other one, I try and get to the one that's been waiting the longest. However, at times I find it's easier to post for one RP than for another so I'll post in the easier one since I know what I'll be writing and can get that one out of the way quicker and then can put all my focus on the one I'm having trouble with.

I think it just depends on the situation in most cases.

I do need to get a better way to keep track of my RPs though. Some of you have already mentioned what you do but any other thoughts or ideas would be great! I'm trying to figure out a good way to keep up with RPs and keep track of what I need to read/post for and usually I just keep an eye on the "View your post" forum but I have a tendency to be forgetful xD

As for my longest RP.. I've never really had very long RPs before that's lasted a long time. I think the only one I feel like that's been going for so long is the Decedents of Gods RP I have on here currently. I actually feel like the longest RPs that have actually lasted have only been on this site. I've never completed a RP either. (That will change one of these days! I swear it!) Also most of them are only long because they're slow xD but that's okay too! I don't mind slow! As long as I know people are still alive and interested!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:02 am 

Bored

Okay, so I was right (as confirmed by dreamgurl42). The RP I'm taking about was 4 years running as it went from 2011 to 2015, as I remember because I started when I was 13 and ended when I was 17.

Don't worry about how long they last, although I asked the question, how long a RP last isn't the point, but the quality of the RP during its time!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:42 am 

Administrator

My longest rp was actually on here. It was a space rp called 'Hyper Nova', which I started not too long after joining this site actually. It lasted a few years, with some breaks in between when things got busy irl. Unfortunately it never got finished as my partner just got too busy with life in the end.

Second would have to be 'A Taste of Freedom', which began on another site and lasted on here, again for a few years. That one actually did get completed and even saw a sequel. Unfortunately, again, the sequel was never finished due to stuff happening irl, and my partner falling out of rping.

In my many years of rping, I've only completed one rp lol What about you guys?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:32 pm 

Bored

Yeah, I believe I've only ever completed one RP because somehow we found ways to continue RP for the sake of staying connected. I think most of the reasons for not completing RP is school.

What were some of the reasons you got into RPing?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 am 

Zero completed rp’s, reasons are partners disappearing, real life stuff happening, partner not feeling the rp anymore, or the great unknown aka people just stopped posting without any known reason

I got in rp because on a different site whose purpose was different, someone just asked me to try it out with them. We totally clicked as rp partners so it was fun and that feeling kind of stuck ^^