All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 749 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: RP pet Peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:32 am 

Blog: View Blog (1)

We all have them

Rabid Shippers

Humans with animal ears and tails stuck on. Thats not an anthro, that's a human with animal ears and tail stuck on

Players who want the RP world to be changed to fit their character and want every one to cater to them

Goddmodding

Plot bunny thieves- Outright stealing plot bunnies word for word and then claiming it as their own

Sparkly vampires and glitter dogs.

Sue\Stu OC's

Long apps that want everything under the sun about a character and leaves nothing at all for RP development

Characters in post-apocalyptic settings, in life or death situations, who are miraculously perfectly, flawlessly hygienic, and concerned with their outfit

Being avoided by players becouse you have fandom characters despite the fact said fandom characters can easily be dropped into many kinds of RP and the other player doenst need to know anything about said fandom character other then appearance. They can learn everything they need to know about the character vai RP.

Strict canon players

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: RP pet Peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:57 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

People who think their characters are the **** and only care about fighting and dominating everything.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:09 pm 

Quote:
People who think their characters are the **** and only care about fighting and dominating everything.

The Admin on a board that went down last year that we all called the Red Queen was like that. All her characters were overpowered and all they did was dominant everything including the plots.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:10 pm 

Blog: View Blog (6)

When people are vocal about their peeves. :/

People have their own styles and tastes. Everyone has their own dislikes too. Roleplaying is a game, it's a hobby that people put time into for fun. Exactly how they play is up to them, what kind of character they play is their bag too. It's all cool, it's their fantasy and it's harmless! Let them express themselves in whatever way they wish, if you don't click with them then politely say so.

Complaining about specific things just shames them for doing what they enjoy, it shoots down their creativity before they even have a chance to develop it. It doesn't matter if it's all just opinion, it doesn't matter that they SHOULD just take it that way and move on, people are going to hear you, people are going to respect you and people are going to have their own emotional reaction to your words.

It's a fantasy world.

It's not real.

Let them enjoy that little escape from reality and if you don't like it then politely move on or find someone more on a similar mind set to you.

THIS. This is my RPing pet peeve right here. People that believe there is a right way or a wrong way to roleplay. Or at least act like it. Your words have more effect on people than you realize, by making the things that they enjoy a blatant IRRITATION of yours, they're going to wonder just how many other people feel that way and get scared to ever come back at all.

For the record:
* Mary Sues and Gary Stues and everything inbetween are freaking awesome and fun!
* Fighting for one's life is monumentally significant!
* Shipping is the love of love! What's not to love! :P
* Glittery characters are like Christmas or Vegas. Both are dazzling as hell!

But most of all roleplaying is fabulous! In all it's many forms! The fact that we as a race are capable of such a vast level of empathy that we can create a simulation of life that acts outside of our own boundaries of behavior or experienced knowledge of a situation is just STAGGERING!
No one HAS to like every side of it, but don't bad mouth any of it!

That said, have a lovely evening and enjoy your writing! ;)

Damn straight I'm good in bed! I could sleep for days! :3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:25 pm 

Quote:
When people are vocal about their peeves. :/

There is nothing wrong about being vocal about pet peeves. Its when someone outright attacks a player or screams at them that they can't play that because you don't like it is when is becomes an issues. Every one has things they don't like and are irritated\annoyed by in RP. Does that mean every one has to play like they are cardboard cut outs of each other? Nope.

You just don't play with that particular person.

Quote:
Mary Sues and Gary Stues and everything inbetween are freaking awesome and fun!

I have never seen them as fun or awesome. Personally, they annoy me to no end. If you want to play them then YOU play them, just don't except every one to like them just because you do. That is the point of RP. To play what you want and not expect every one to like the same things you like and not get mad when someone points out they don't like certain things

I keep a list of things in my LJ of things I will not do in an RP and things I will do and of my peeves. its never stopped potential RP partners from approaching me much less RP with me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:50 pm 

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.
Medals: 8
Dedicated Partner (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (15)

My only peeve, and it's one I don't run into much anyway: Those who make me do all the work.

I'm not saying that I expect something immensely dynamic with every post. I'm not saying I want something jaw-dropping and earth-shattering with every post. However, when I'm the only one doing the work, playing all the NPCs, moving the plot along, the roleplay becomes no longer fun. It becomes work.

I know that, in my own threads, there is a level of upkeep that falls onto my shoulders; It's my idea, so why shouldn't I have to do some of the work?

What really gets me...is when it's either a "1x1" that we both created, or that the other person created. I'm fine with playing NPCs, and helping the plot to move forward. ...When the other person expects me to do all the work, despite it being their idea or an idea we both came up with, and it's leaving me to think of ways to move it along, characters to bring in to make it interesting for me...

...Not really roleplaying anymore.

It's novel-writing with a dash of outward input. I already write novels. When I'm on a roleplay site, I'd rather roleplay.

/endsminitangent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:05 pm 

Blog: View Blog (6)

@ Rose

I don't doubt you can find like minded people to RP with Rose and I never once said everyone had to like them. Read me more carefully, everyone is entitled to enjoy whatever it is that they enjoy! And what characters I play personally has nothing to do with this argument! Let's not get them involved or we'll have a riot on our hands! :P

My whole argument comes from a little bit of personal experience, now I'm not naive enough to believe that I am alone in any experience, not for one second, so the safest assumption (or at least the kindest) for me here is to believe that other people have and ARE going through this also;

Take a seat and let me tell you a story...

When I was a young girl, about 13 or 14, too unlearned to really understand literature as the complex craft that it is, I found my first roleplaying website. The whole concept both baffled and amazed me! I'd log on every day and read through peoples stories with a the intensity of the possessed! I was in love! I was AWESTRUCK by these amazing people, people like yourself and admired them with the same zest you give your childhood hero. In a sense you all were my childhood heroes!
It's an awe I still sheepishly am struck by today! :3

Well, after about six months (a long stretch of time back in those days!) I finally worked up the guts to try and make my own character.... I cannot begin to describe the sheer cringe factor, the terrible shoddiness of them, to this day I can't even look at those posts without feeling ill! And someone let me know it. Not to my face, but there was a side post, like this, one post about things in characters they hated, roleplay styles they didn't like and guess how many boxes I ticked!

It was from a poster that I'd fervently admired that whole time, someone that I'd been trying to learn from on the quiet and I had been excited to get better.

I was shot to ****. My stomach turned inside out, my blood went cold and to this day I cannot roleplay without feeling that sting of shame in the back of my mind, without being able to thoroughly check over every single aspect of every single character.

I even dropped out of it and writing altogether for a long time after.

And you know what? It's never EVER been as much fun for me any more.

It killed an edge of joy I had in it.

I'd have been able to brush it off, but it's happened all the way through my learning and with each side comment and sneer I've found that simple enjoyment being sucked out of it. It became more serious because IT HAD TO BE. Because I honestly felt that I wasn't doing it properly if I didn't struggle. Then one day I roleplayed with what could have been my younger self. Mary Sues, no real plot construction, no complex plays on words or intricate delve into emotion and it occurred to me that one day they'd start to question themselves and have their confidence (born from ignorance) beaten down too, because they're given the impression that it's shameful to be simple in that way or to learn.

People KNOW these peeves, there's a million and one threads all across the internet just screaming them, there's no way that they aren't going to see them, but I wanted the message right here, right beneath it all, that it is OKAY to write in any way you want and that it IS just a game.

I didn't write this to get at you, I was firm worded with you, because I was angry. That whole rant was for everyone that offends anything that makes it on that list to let them know that it's alright. This. Is. Not. About. Us.

I admit that I'm sensitive, but from what I've seen so are A LOT of roleplayers.

TL;DR?
Not a personal pop on my end, but OP could be read as on yours. Rant on a public forum expect the public to read it.

Damn straight I'm good in bed! I could sleep for days! :3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:31 pm 

Quote:
My only peeve, and it's one I don't run into much anyway: Those who make me do all the work

Was there a lot in my early years. Every thread I was on I had to do all the work no matter what. I had to move the plot, I had to make all the NPCS, I had to make all the locations while the other did pretty much nothing.

It was so annoying.

RP is supposed to be about corporation where both players move it along, not just one player doing all the work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:44 am 

Medals: 1
Longest RP (1)

Poor personal hygiene at the game table. There is a reason why I set coasters, napkins, wet wipes, and paper towels within easy reach on RPG night. There is also a reason for the existence of showers, laundromats, and door mats. Just because we're playing Black Crusade, does not mean that you have to turn your body into a shrine to the Plaguefather, Player 3.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:53 pm 
Savior

Medals: 5
Funniest Member (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Supporter (2)

Jawbone's Rp beginning sounds remarkably like my own. About 13 years old, reading other people's stories and then finally making an absolutely terrible character. My first character, in a medieval fantasy Rp, was called Vegeta. He was a prince. And short. And he sounds familiar, doesn't he?.

Back then I could barely speak English, but I was blessed(?) with a raging superiority complex, so I believed everything I did was better than everyone else. I was awesome. I thought.
Now, no one really told me I was bad, because I seem to remember we all were back then. Or maybe I just never read the longer Rp's, but I haven't ever been chewed out for my Rp'ing. Not enough that it made me lose confidence. I think I was just called a bunnier once or twice, and that made me stop being one.

So, I'm mostly against Jawbone on whether or not this is a bad thread. I like the idea of discussing things we do not like in Rp's, because it shows us who have compatible tastes or that, hey, a lot of people don't like this thing I do, I better stop. No one should mention names and say that Rp'er "The Drilling P" is awful at everything he does and should quit Rp'ing, but we can say what we personally don't like happen in Rp's. That's not negative that's just people talking about Rp's. Jawbone could argue that it'd be wrong for people to talk about what they DO like in Rp's, because then people who don't do what people like to see will get hurt as well.

Now, for pet peeves:
Godmodding is almost always a peeve for everyone, except for those who do it. I guess godmodders don't realize they are doing godmodding, which would be a reason to pull them aside and say, politely, "Hey, your character is a bit too strong. He/She is starting to be boring as a consequence." or "It's upsetting the plot." However, I think in general people who take their characters so seriously that they cannot let them be seen as weak is a peeve for me. I pretty much avoid doing player-vs-player fights, even as a minor part of an Rp, because a lot of people will not have their character lose or even look slightly bad. I'm pretty sure I don't mind losing, except that if I am the only one ready to lose then that's all I'll be doing and that's repetitious and not too much fun. So yeah, players who let their characters take a kick to the nads now and then will have adoration.

I am trying to think of some original pet peeve but... oh, I know. Most of my characters have some secret or aren't as nice people as they present themselves. They generally lie a lot. I hate it when people use OOC information to have their characters know what other characters are like. Or mind-readers. I have not yet experienced a mind-reading character I like.
And character sheets/bios that require me to give personality information for my character. I always fear it will be used IC.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:55 pm 

I've always liked discussing what I do and don't like in RP as long as there is no mentioning of names. It helps narrow down perspective partners to those who are far more likely to be compatible.

The IC\OOC knowledge bugs me. There are things that only my character knows and it bug the snot out of me when another character suddenly knows all of this and starts blurting things out that my character rather not be public knowledge. It tends to wreck plots when a character knows where the Big Bad Guy's base is, how to get in, knows all the secrets, knows where the kidnapped characters are and everything. And there is no way possible for them to know any of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:06 pm 
Savior

Funniest Member (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Supporter (2)

I tend to love talking about Rp's in general.

Bunnying strangely does not bug me much. Bad bunnying does of course, when someone takes control of another player's character and writes it completely out of character or does major stuff with him or her, but that's not so much a pet peeve as it's just against the rules of Rp'ing.
I do not mind it if someone writes "Rotten's character nodded and my character continued speaking" or some such.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:11 pm 

Blog: View Blog (2)

Punctuation! Having to read the same line three times and try to guess where the commas, periods and capital letters go. I'm not a "grammar natzi" but lack of punctuation turns reading into quite a challenge. Especially when you run two sentences together without a period, or a capital letter.

And of course, dovetailed onto that little peeve is the famous list:

They're = They Are
Their = Belonging to them.
There = The opposite of Here. (Easy to remember, as there contains the word here.)

Here = opposite of there.
Hear = what you do with your ears.

To or Too?
The trick to remember when to use "too" is the extra "o" in the word. Why? Because the word "too" is used when you're referring to an extra or excessive amount of something.

It is not about waiting out the storm. It is about learning to dance in the rain.

Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:34 pm 

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.
Medals: 8
Dedicated Partner (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (15)

Reecie wrote:
Punctuation! Having to read the same line three times and try to guess where the commas, periods and capital letters go. I'm not a "grammar natzi" but lack of punctuation turns reading into quite a challenge. Especially when you run two sentences together without a period, or a capital letter.
Goes without saying I agree with this wholeheartedly as I wear the "Grammar Nazi" title proudly...and English isn't my first language, so I'm very much a "type/say what you mean and mean what you type/say" otherwise I'm left more than a little confused.

TheRottenLeprechaun wrote:
I do not mind it if someone writes "Rotten's character nodded and my character continued speaking" or some such.
I don't mind this either, more often than not. I trust whomever I write with to have a feel for my character enough that they know whether or not they nod, or react. Some I trust to move my character how they need to further a scene, and others, if they have any questions of whether or not they can do something, they generally ask.

Even those I don't often write with, or am writing with for the first time, if they do something more than I'd have allowed, it's not a big deal to me. I merely talk to them about it, not in an angry sense, and work with what they gave me. I'm usually accommodating.

Rose_and_Raven wrote:
The IC\OOC knowledge bugs me. There are things that only my character knows and it bug the snot out of me when another character suddenly knows all of this and starts blurting things out that my character rather not be public knowledge.
It's not something I've run into here, but have on a game/RPG where things listed on my CS and have been used against my character, or used to try and make a character more "appealing" to mine. Again, it's not a big deal to me, though? I work around it, or I'll talk to them very briefly about it, more a passing comment, and leave it at that.

For those that think I'm being overly critical, I'm still new to RPing. I only joined this back in 2010, to use as downtime while at theatre rehearsals, off stage, waiting for my blocking/musical/dance portions. Two weeks before joining CF, I was on a site that ended up deleted, in one thread of my own creation.

I was inexperienced, my English passable, but by no means perfect. My RPing skills were...terrible. I'd been so used to writing on my own, novels, plays, that I ended up controlling people more than I should have. The partner I had (and still write with) was very understanding and worked with me on it, but others weren't so kind. Being already overly critical of my work, and hearing how terrible I was from other people hurt, and it hurt a lot.

To be perfectly honest, I was hesitant in even joining this site, which was why it took me so long to start writing. What little I did, I was clumsy with, not setting up OOCs (which I was harped on for), and ended up leaving for a few months (not solely for that, but it was a good portion of it). So, when I talk about any peeve I have here, it's not in a malicious manner. It's more just...me expressing my opinion on things.

Even with those things, I still write with people who do such. I'm not the sort to exclude someone solely because they may unintentionally push a button. It's just nice, every now and then, to talk about things, to get them out. Cathartic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:40 pm 

Blog: View Blog (36)

I am not a great role player myself, my writing skills....are lacking. I try to be understanding but there is just something that tick me off to no end. I can't stand it. I hate it so much.

One of my peeves would have to be, when someone doesn't even try on the plot or try to at least make their story/idea interesting but everyone love it! Everyone basically goes crazy over this piece crap. Yet, when I try to make an interesting plot, no one even bother with it or they tell me the plot needs work. Let's not forget! People also mentioned that I was stupid and should just give up. I don't run into that problem on CF as much as I did on other role play sites.

Another peeve is a person who barely leave any room for you character. They make it so the role play is all about their character and the character is crap! The character does nothing throughout the role play but ****ing and complain.
My last peeve, crappy writers in general, the writers who think they are better than you. Like I said, I’m not a stud writer myself but I can’t stand it when this person you’re writing with tells you to write better or write more. This person doesn’t even write that much!
They complain that your post doesn’t even make sense, when your writing makes more sense than their post. The crappy writer has such a high standards for you but when you have standards for them, you’re a jerk!

Other than that I love to role play, even if I suck at it. Personally, I don’t take things to heart. I mean if someone wants to give me advice on what I should make changes on, I’m okay with that. I love to learn and I learn from my mistakes. I think people shouldn’t let anyone get under their skin, but maybe even take into consideration of things other say about them. Take the time to reflect on their writing and realize that maybe their work could use some reconstruction.

"Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
And I eat men like air."
- Lady Lazarus by Sylvia Plath.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:35 pm 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)

I'm... kind of on the fence whether or not I think this is a bad thread. I've seen elitists in a few places I've been use such a thread as their soapbox, where they can put others down. On the other hand, I don't mind a thread like this because, well, I also am one who enjoys talking abour RPs.

I've been a victim when I first started out. Got turned down from things because I was not good enough, my first character was kind of a Sue, I tried too hard to fit in. I was even shunned by people; my idas would go ignored or I was never given tips on how I could improve things. I partly blame that for my OCD over things like detail.

I'm not a perfect roleplayer/writer either and can kind of relate to Crimson in the sense that it is irritating when your idea gets shot down. So many times on places I use to roleplay I've had ideas shot down, and nobody ever helped me improve. As a result I kind of just taught things to myself by observing roleplays and reading tips and such. I've gotten better but I know I'm not where I'd like to be.

I'm sensitive, very self-conscious and OCD, like to get **** right in posts because of my bad experiances... I was blamed for a few roleplay deaths, or when people would call me out on my flaws they were very condescending. Thank God I can relax more here. I feel I've gotten a lot better at least in that regard lol

I also hate being the only one that contributes to the plot in 1x1s. If I wanted to write the story myself, I would.

As for people controlling my character... I second Aly and Rott. I don't mind minor controlling if it keeps things moving along, and it isn't too out of character.

I also second punctuation. Tack spelling and grammar on to that, too, to complete the whole Grammar Nazi package. Now, anyone who writes or has written with me will know that I tend to have a typo here and there. I'm silly and miss things when I clearly shouldn't because Word is my best friend. But when people clearly put no effort in spelling things correctly, when the word is right there in a post or they don't bother looking it up or anything, it is irritating.

Flakers and people saying they're bored (or lack of patience, most of the time) all the time annoy me as well. I can be a quick replier, but I like to take my time with certain things.

Elitists/superiority complexes.

Lastly, one liners... The. ****ing. Worst. I hate lack of effort over pretty much everything, which kind of glues a lot of the pet peeves I have together.

There are other things, but it's mostly just nit-picks and I can work with/around them as long as they aren't unbearably pretentious. No use crying over every single little thing. I will agree with Jawbone in the sense that it is just a game. As long as the story is good, that is all that matters.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:48 am 

Completed RP (2) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)

Like fine wine my little pets will change though some still remain.

Unlike most of you here I hold no anger for those with godly power though it might be that I've been around people who limited what those godly powered characters chose to do wither it be something useful to the rp at hand or something as insignificant as setting a small tree ablaze.

Now Bunnying that is one of those that remain for who doesn't like one controlling their character like mere puppets. Let those who chose the characters be the puppeteers for them unless they allow it and such.

Now this is only a minor as I've grown used to it but some people may find it more of an annoyance than how I see it. There are those who choose to only skim what has happened often missing important details or certain things in recent posts. This is something I'm sure many dislike as it can cause complications in certain situations. This pretty much saying that there is too long didn't feel like reading some of the important parts I may have missed but should have read as they relate to the current part of the RP.

I shall leave it at this.

3DS Friend code: 1762-3216-4894

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:25 am 

Medals: 2
Longest RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (5)

My biggest pet peeve is writers that do not consistently write. I tend to lose the momentum in the action and then lose interest. We are all busy but one post a day is not too hard and if it is, then a PM to give a general time frame for when to expect the next post is courteous.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:08 am 

1st Year (1)

I imagine that everyone has pet peeves when it comes to writing and I have learned with this site a person needs to learn patience and understanding. I used to be one that like to post daily, but I have discovered over the last couple of weeks that things happen in real life and it makes it hard to post daily. I have learned to wait on other people and have been happy for people to be willing to wait on me.

I will have to agree that when you start RP'ing with people it would be nice to know if they loose interest in the storyline instead of telling you I am still interested but busy and 4 or 5 months later they still haven't responded. I understand that sometimes you just loose the feeling for a story and need change, but at least talk to the person you are rp'ing with.

I also wish sometimes that more people would give me a chance when RP'ing because I know I am not perfect, but when I write I like to go with the flow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:23 pm 
Savior

Supporter (1)

My Roleplaying Pet Peeves include: Roleplaying

I like Roleplaying. But apparently I hate absolutely every aspect of it and will procrastinate forever until Rotten eventually drags me kicking and screaming to an open Wordpad and sits me down like a child who won't eat his vegetables.

So I'm not sure exactly HOW I like roleplaying.

But I'm sure I do.

I think.

Probably.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 749 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next