All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 749 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: RP pet Peeves
View Likes PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:10 am 

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Eggsy wrote:
when you have ideas that would be fun to write but can't quite figure out how to shake up the details enough to make for a good rp without potentially sacrificing the integral aspects of the plot and/or setting

Yes! Yes! Completely yes!

Or just details in general...

"Aster: Semi-master of Procrastination and Sage of Multitasking" ~ Yue
"Step aside Doctor Who, we have Asterous now~" ~ PaperMoon

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:45 am 

eyy, senpai!

Medals: 14
GM of the Month (1) Longest RP (2)
Completed RP (1) Best Entrance (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

It's a challenge, man. I've got a lot of things I'd like to do on hold because I'm not sure if they'd work in a roleplay type execution, whether at all or just in a form that still resembles the original idea.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:29 am 

Blog: View Blog (1)

People who refuse to do the work required to get a character that has been abused in some form or matter and doesn't trust to trust their charter. They want insta trust and end up all butt hurt when the character not only won't trust them, but becomes even less willing to trust them after they do things on purpose that they know will further damage the characters ability to trust thm

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:38 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

People who think it's their job to tell you how to do your own RP. Suggestions? Cool. The second I read "you have to do it like this", hahaha, nope. Suggest at will, but remember the thread author is the one who is creating it, and they can accept your suggestions or say no if they don't fit their plan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:14 pm 

I have returned.

Medals: 1
1st Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

When people ****ing about divergences from canon when the game is advertised as an AU.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:44 am 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

When you define a roleplay as "mature" and people assume it's gonna be all about sex. FFS, people, violence, drug use, physical and mental abuse, these are all mature themes. I wish people would at least ask, not just assume that mature = sex.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:01 am 

Depressingly Melancholy

sithlordofsnark wrote:
When people ****ing about divergences from canon when the game is advertised as an AU.

And that is why I don't RP canon.

I can hear what you're thinking, all your doubts and fears. And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find the reason I'm here. And in time all things shall pass away in time, you may come back someday. You know your days are numbered. Count them one by one. Like notches in the handle of an outlaw's gun. You can outrun the devil if you try, but you'll never outrun the hands of time. In time, there'll surely come a day in time, all things shall pass away. In time, you may come back, some say. To live once more or die once more, but in time, your time will be no more.

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:52 pm 

SHE'S DEAD!

Blog: View Blog (1)

First person rp.... I dont like books in first person. Im definitely not gonna be in love with shifting perspectives in a roleplay.

Enviado desde mi LG-D851 mediante Tapatalk

-Claiming souls for my father's land
-Preparing for war is my father's plan
-Revealing desires; dirty and unique
-Committing horrors mortals can't speak
-Ire to the man with a life full of hatred
-Blood from your veins, what you held most sacred.

-Sustain. Empower what you find unholy.
-Bleed. Feed who really needs you wholly.
-Salvation turned her back,
~Even when I sought her
- But Life is my wife and Death is her daughter
- Time goes by but I never grow old
- Happily,
-I watch your Skin. Turn. To Mold.
- Every time around another fleeting time of pleasure
-"Together.... we'll be-
Together-
Forever"
- but then you die, life fallen like a tiny feather
- just a bout of rain from a bad day of weather.
- Every time I feed I concede to my need............ -Unfinished

~Son of the Beast and the Leech

Everything stays
Right where you left it
Everything stays
but it still changes
Ever so Slightly
Daily and Nightly
In little ways
Everything Stays

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:37 am 

A personal peeve directed towards myself, but....

Being that one person who doesn't ever manage to get your and you're correct.

Sometimes I just get too into a roleplay reply to really think about the difference and I feel like a complete dunce afterwards when I realize the mistake ><

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:11 am 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

Any time people come into an RP where you've clearly given a plot premise, and then totally disregard it.

Like, if you aren't interested in what I'm pitching, please don't sign up and then try to subvert it for what you want.

Also, if you plan on including... elements... that are... unusual... please ask first if they would be appropriate for the roleplay before joining...

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:54 am 

Currently listening to: Drawfee Podcast

Rose_and_Raven wrote:
Almost all my characters are not only male, they are anthro cyborgs so I thankfully don't have much in the way of a problem with players wanting smut, smut, smut with me unless is a furry player who refuse to accept NO for an answer.

The worst I tend to get it people demanding I turn my characters human which will destroy their history and everything and make them into a very boring human character but they don't care since they are narrow minded.

I totally get what you mean, and people shouldn't demand of you to change the concept of a character to fit their preferences, but at the same time, if taking away a physical attribute of your character makes them boring, maybe you should flesh out your characters a bit more. Generally a character's personality should be about who they are, not what they are or what they've been through. Often when it comes to making characters with complex arcs, you'll be so focused in their story that they become unrealistic and have less personality. Actually, one of the best things you can do is imagine that character without the backstory and main trait, and see if they seem like a person

Not trying to say that the person you're talking about wasn't a jerk or that you even have to listen to me, just trying to give some advise from my personal experience making characters. I've always really liked roleplaying characters who have a very human amount of character depth to work with, so I thought that, if this is something that concerns you, I'd tell you what helped me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:48 pm 

Rose_and_Raven wrote:
Almost all my characters are not only male, they are anthro cyborgs so I thankfully don't have much in the way of a problem with players wanting smut, smut, smut with me unless is a furry player who refuse to accept NO for an answer.

The worst I tend to get it people demanding I turn my characters human which will destroy their history and everything and make them into a very boring human character but they don't care since they are narrow minded.

I totally get what you mean, and people shouldn't demand of you to change the concept of a character to fit their preferences, but at the same time, if taking away a physical attribute of your character makes them boring, maybe you should flesh out your characters a bit more. Generally a character's personality should be about who they are, not what they are or what they've been through. Often when it comes to making characters with complex arcs, you'll be so focused in their story that they become unrealistic and have less personality. Actually, one of the best things you can do is imagine that character without the backstory and main trait, and see if they seem like a person

Not trying to say that the person you're talking about wasn't a jerk or that you even have to listen to me, just trying to give some advise from my personal experience making characters. I've always really liked roleplaying characters who have a very human amount of character depth to work with, so I thought that, if this is something that concerns you, I'd tell you what helped me

Post subject: RP pet Peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:20 pm 

Mine are really only related to fandom roleplay

Fandom OCs that don't fit at all with the canon.
i.e. A vampire Voltron OC (that isn't au) or anything that relies purely on a still fanon concept to exist (can't think of a good example right now)

Also anyone that demands that fanon is canon. Just because the fandom commonly believes things like certain characters being gay, doesn't mean that that has ever actually been confirmed

Finally, OCs for real things. This one doesn't so much apply here, since celebrity roleplays and such aren't allowed, but especially on other sites, I hate roleplaying something like celebrities or Youtubers and having people ask if they can use an "OC" because I know that in reality their "OC" is just them inserting themselves into the roleplay and using me playing an actual celebrity as a way to live out their fantasies.
Like I said, I know roleplays like that aren't allowed, but for me it also applies to Hamilton, which to my knowledge you can roleplay here. I know that the play takes some liberties, but it still feels wrong to just put some character that never existed into a story where everyone else did exist.

Last edited by CheezyPeezy on Sat May 06, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:10 pm 

People who have to roleplay focus around them, not the story. Intentionally or otherwise.

Trying to develop a romance, getting upset when another player (me) tries to get back to the matter at hand, generally being overpowered, etc.

Also, playing as real people. YouTuber RPs generally get on my nerves.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:15 pm 

Skelly wrote:

Considering my post, this feels strangely directed at me

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:12 am 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

Skelly wrote:

I get bugged by real-life faceclaims. Especially the non-celebrity/model ones that someone just finds a photo and uses it, as I had a friend who had someone take a bunch of her photos and use them as a faceclaim for a character.

It's something that really bugs me.

But yeah, roleplaying as real people baffles and bothers me. And it's one I can't really find a way to be approving or open about, since those are like... actual, living, breathing persons with actual thoughts and feelings.
Especially if it's like... a typical romantic pairing type roleplay. It's different if it's a silly rp and someone plays Chuck Norris as a character.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:25 am 

CheezyPeezy wrote:
Skelly wrote:

I promise you it wasn't. I was speaking on general terms.

People using anime images in a more realistic roleplay.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:21 am 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)

Skelly wrote:

So much this.

I'm not a fan of anime roleplays in general, if I ever set foot in one I really, really need to be sold on the idea, and a lot of images just do not sit well with me. A lot of it has to do with really bad experiences I've had in the past with people using anime images. I myself am no exception, as I have used anime images when I first started out roleplaying; my first character was a neko. I am in no way trying to put down anybody who likes anime. But, again, bad experiences have caused me to associate anime images with negative things like Mary Sues.

That, and I really just cannot see anime characters in realistic setting either...

Also, @CheezyPeezy I totally understand being annoyed by self-inserts wanting to live out their fantasies. To be honest, I don't like people rping real-life people either. I have seen a lot of fanfiction on Wattpad and other places that's just... no. I stay far away from that stuff. Mostly for that reason, not to mention I can't really see the appeal personally.

Faceclaims are the other reason. If I'm on a roleplay site, using Hugh Jackman as a claim, and then I go see like ten more Hugh Jackmans, it's just weird. My character is my own weird dude/lady made up in my head. It's kind of the same reason I don't always like movie adaptations of books -popular actors/actresses ruining the vision I had of a certain character. If that makes sense.

But yeah, I can understand writing a personal fanfiction, but to actually throw yourself at another person in a roleplay? I'd be very uncomfortable if someone did that to me.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:19 pm 

Medals: 1
1st Year (1)

Skelly wrote:
CheezyPeezy wrote:
Skelly wrote:

I promise you it wasn't. I was speaking on general terms.

I totally agree to this ^^^

When I was writing on Tumblr RPs that's where it would happen the most and I find that it lacks creativity for the writer whose supposed to craft an original character. On a handful of RPs the rules are to write original characters, but then it's completely ignored especially if they are popular with the group (it makes it feel cligue-ish in that case I suppose). I can understand how someone uses an actor/actress/anime character/ YouTube star and wants to write for that person, but then it's just weird how the writer twists it into another personality that's different from the original person. If that makes sense?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:32 pm 

I'm ALIVE! I think...

Mentor

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (7)

I can be quite sensitive towards certain subjects. Something that I just can't help.

My spelling and grammar isn't perfect. I try and do my best, but I've always had a difficult time with it. It's something I've been improving for a long time. I have a habit of not proof reading before posting, which is one of the many things I am working on changing. Even with proof reading though I miss things.

What I absolutely cannot stand from others, is when they point out my horrible spelling in a demeaning and rude way.

I one time created a roleplay between me and a friend on a different site. The description was short and simple and I didn't worry too much about my spelling and grammar in it because me and my friend already knew it, so I was chill with it and didn't proof read before posting it.

Some random stranger decided to post on the thread to tell me I have horrible spelling and grammar. Mind you, this was a 1x1 between a friend, I was not advertising it for anyone to join. I did not know this person. They did not know me.

The worst part was. My friend laughed and agreed with them.

This has stuck to me after years and years because it honestly broke my heart. I was humiliated and embarrassed, not only by a stranger but by my friend. It's still something I haven't gotten over and writing now has brought up some horrible feelings.

So when it comes to commenting on my spelling and grammar, I tend to be sensitive. Sometimes even to constructive advice even though I know it's only there to help me. I try and be open to constructive advice when it comes to my spelling and grammar, but I tend to cringe when it's pointed out no matter what. I guess I'm easily embarrassed when it comes to it. This is a bad pet peeve of mine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 749 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next