All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 749 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: RP pet Peeves
View Likes PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:49 pm 

Medals: 6
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (1)
1st Year (1) Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Shades wrote:
Passive characters. Like, I get it, no man is an island, but if one's character is always the poor victim of everything who needs to be saved, cared for and coddled at all times...

...I'm out.

Those characters are terrible to write with. I'd rather just trip them. XD

I prefer writing characters who can be total assholes and get what they deserve. And I like writing heroes, but not perfect ones. They still have faults, but are basically good people.

ImageImage

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:56 am 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)

When you have the itch to write a character, but can't think of any decent plots.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:32 am 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

Sounds_of_Silence wrote:
When you have the itch to write a character, but can't think of any decent plots.

See, characters should come with their own plot. They have desires, hopes, fears, and ambitions, right? That's your plot right there. The only question left is what is going to stand in their way and thus generate conflict.

Everything else is a sideshow.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:37 pm 

Medals: 8
Completed RP (1) Most Patient (4)
Most Punctual (1) 1st Year (1)

When entering an existing RP a character should always have some way to fit in I figure. If they fill an existing need, then these sorts of things shouldn't be a problem. Then again, a bit self-peeve in this case is when I create a character and end up without a need for them to fill.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:24 pm 

Medals: 6
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (1)
1st Year (1) Supporter (1)

Pet peeve: When people want to join into an existing RP but don't bother to try to get their character to interact with anyone. Instead, their character does their own thing and then they whine in the OOC that no one is interacting with them.

Excuse me, if say, there is a party going on, have your damn character be at the party too. Not moping at home all alone.

(This has not happened here, btw.)

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:25 pm 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

Not sure what the peeve is here, but whatever it is I didn't like it.
I guess you could call it "making you jump through too many hoops".

You know how some people put passwords to see if you read it all? It's a pretty reasonable practice.
This is what you get when you go unreasonable with it.

So there was this RP posted on a site. Honestly I don't even know what it was supposed to be about, it was like a secret "you'll be put on a scenario" experimental writing sorry of thing.

I messaged the person, mostly out of curiosity of where they were going with this.

At the end of the spiel he said "the password is... bisected".

So I send my request to join. Put bisected in it. Lo and behold, hey, that wasn't the password. It was a description of it. The real password was split in half and hidden in the post (if I noticed I likely skimmed them as typos).

No clue if anyone else joined. I figured out the password and sent it just to prove i could , never messaged him after that

View Likes PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:02 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)

Dawn ✭ Quixotic wrote:
Not sure what the peeve is here, but whatever it is I didn't like it.
I guess you could call it "making you jump through too many hoops".

You know how some people put passwords to see if you read it all? It's a pretty reasonable practice.
This is what you get when you go unreasonable with it.

So there was this RP posted on a site. Honestly I don't even know what it was supposed to be about, it was like a secret "you'll be put on a scenario" experimental writing sorry of thing.

I messaged the person, mostly out of curiosity of where they were going with this.

At the end of the spiel he said "the password is... bisected".

So I send my request to join. Put bisected in it. Lo and behold, hey, that wasn't the password. It was a description of it. The real password was split in half and hidden in the post (if I noticed I likely skimmed them as typos).

No clue if anyone else joined. I figured out the password and sent it just to prove i could , never messaged him after that

I was once on a site where multiple passwords would be hidden and you'd have to comb through the post to find them all, or they'd make the password the same colour as the background so it just looks like a space unless you right click the text. It shouldn't be Blue's Clues or something like that people, just something to show they've read it.

View Likes PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:36 pm 

Blog: View Blog (1)

Quote:
Pet peeve: When people want to join into an existing RP but don't bother to try to get their character to interact with anyone. Instead, their character does their own thing and then they whine in the OOC that no one is interacting with them.

Excuse me, if say, there is a party going on, have your damn character be at the party too. Not moping at home all alone.

We call that Lumping. It doesn't matter if its just one character or multiple characters who refuse to interact with the other characters, the character(s) basically doesn't interact with he other characters at all even when the other characters interact with them and then the player(s) whine about how no one wants to play with them.

More often then not it turns out they want to be the center of every one's attention or they want to get into the pants of some hwat character

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:52 am 

Depressingly Melancholy

Rose_and_Raven wrote:
We call that Lumping. It doesn't matter if its just one character or multiple characters who refuse to interact with the other characters, the character(s) basically doesn't interact with he other characters at all even when the other characters interact with them and then the player(s) whine about how no one wants to play with them.

More often then not it turns out they want to be the center of every one's attention or they want to get into the pants of some hwat character

There is a solution to that and you simply give them an ultimatum. They either play ball or GTFO. Sometimes summarily kicking their mopey asses to the curb sets an example for future lumpers.

I can hear what you're thinking, all your doubts and fears. And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find the reason I'm here. And in time all things shall pass away in time, you may come back someday. You know your days are numbered. Count them one by one. Like notches in the handle of an outlaw's gun. You can outrun the devil if you try, but you'll never outrun the hands of time. In time, there'll surely come a day in time, all things shall pass away. In time, you may come back, some say. To live once more or die once more, but in time, your time will be no more.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:26 pm 

Yeah, it's really harsh to have to do that, but I'm going to be honest and say that I once was on the receiving end of a lesson like that and I'm really grateful to the game-master who elected to throw me out to the curb so that I knew that kind of behavior wasn't acceptable in the future.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:12 am 

Depressingly Melancholy

Aeromancer wrote:
Yeah, it's really harsh to have to do that, but I'm going to be honest and say that I once was on the receiving end of a lesson like that and I'm really grateful to the game-master who elected to throw me out to the curb so that I knew that kind of behavior wasn't acceptable in the future.

It's not harsh when lumpers are some of the leading causes of RPs dying within a week after they started. The site I was on years ago had a chronic problem of RPs stalling or taking Henderson levels of derailment due to lumpers dragging everything down or resorting to petty **** matches because they felt ignored. After some needed changes took place the RPs had a significantly longer lifespan once people had the option to kick the undesirables out.

I can hear what you're thinking, all your doubts and fears. And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find the reason I'm here. And in time all things shall pass away in time, you may come back someday. You know your days are numbered. Count them one by one. Like notches in the handle of an outlaw's gun. You can outrun the devil if you try, but you'll never outrun the hands of time. In time, there'll surely come a day in time, all things shall pass away. In time, you may come back, some say. To live once more or die once more, but in time, your time will be no more.

View Likes PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:00 pm 

Will you still love me when I'm no longer young and beautiful

Bad spelling and grammar while roleplaying.

I am the Protector, willing to die to repay a debt

I am the Maiden, full of love

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:26 pm 

Quote:
There is a solution to that and you simply give them an ultimatum. They either play ball or GTFO. Sometimes summarily kicking their mopey asses to the curb sets an example for future lumpers.

This was a few years back and I WAS on staff but unfortunately all the staff but the admin were staff only in name. We had no real power. Lumpers and players who did very unsettling things dragged threads down and we couldn't do much since the Admin wanted everything to pass through her and she was too busy stealing plots and characters behind people's backs and too busy posting back to back horrible basement dwelling smut to do anything.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:52 pm 

Depressingly Melancholy

Rose_and_Raven wrote:
This was a few years back and I WAS on staff but unfortunately all the staff but the admin were staff only in name. We had no real power. Lumpers and players who did very unsettling things dragged threads down and we couldn't do much since the Admin wanted everything to pass through her and she was too busy stealing plots and characters behind people's backs and too busy posting back to back horrible basement dwelling smut to do anything.

I'm not sure if that was the same site but that sounds like a similar problem I had several years ago. Knowing my luck when the changes made allowed DMs to kick people out of RPs, it just so happened the people I kicked were close friends to the Admins and Mod staff. That being said they must have cried foul to the point they (the Admins) arbitrary canned my RP a week or two after giving them the boot. Their only justification was that my RP wasn't doing that well anyway and they were going to ban half the people left in it for some BS reason. They were so focused on fixing the site they forgot to fix the staff or the Admins themselves for that matter.

This is why Favoritism is a big pet peeve of mine.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:08 pm 

Quote:
I'm not sure if that was the same site but that sounds like a similar problem I had several years ago. Knowing my luck when the changes made allowed DMs to kick people out of RPs, it just so happened the people I kicked were close friends to the Admins and Mod staff. That being said they must have cried foul to the point they (the Admins) arbitrary canned my RP a week or two after giving them the boot. Their only justification was that my RP wasn't doing that well anyway and they were going to ban half the people left in it for some BS reason. They were so focused on fixing the site they forgot to fix the staff or the Admins
for that matter.

This is why Favoritism is a big pet peeve of mine.

It was a MGS site and it had a really good premise and everything but the Admin ruined it completely by

-Playing favorites
-Ignore threads for days to weeks and HOLDING up important ones and even holding up plots while posting back to back with the flavor of the week
-Stole plots and characters, would take any popular CC they liked then sit on said CC so no one else could play them
-openly posted tiggery content with no warning what so ever
-Would close active threads due to her super sue character not being the center of attention

My current peeve is being spamed by add on different 'search\directory" and the adds are for games I have zero interest in. The person posting the adds clearly never read my add what so ever so I'm getting nothing but boring human character only sites, fantasy sites, and supernatural sites. I made it very clear what I was looking for and what I wasn't.

If I am only interested in mature sites then why spam me with PG-13 sites that don't allow any mature content?
I have zero interest in any kind so supernatural or shifter\were-creature site but I get bombarded with them.
I refuse to personification my characters but I get adds that would require it.
I made it clear I want a panfandom site that will allow my FNAF characters but I keep getting spamed by sites that are not panfandom since they allow only a few fandoms and its only popular ones and so far I have as yet to find a site that will allow my characters

View Likes PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:17 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

I'm pretty sure this has been said before, but I just feel like complaining about stuff today:

The word 'literate' as a measure of quality. That's all.

View Likes PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:28 pm 

Do you mean when someone critically states that a post isn't literate? I want to make sure that I understand what your particular peeve is ^^

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:30 pm 

Sort of back.

Actually I mean using the word 'literate' as a requirement, i.e., "looking for a literate roleplay; literate posts". When well... wouldn't the fact that one is able to write mean they're literate?

View Likes PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:33 pm 

Oh now I know what you mean, yeah that is a little unusual to see. I figure if you can read the forum here that you would have to be at least partially literate enough. In fact, you'd have to be to use a computer.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:34 pm 

Sort of back.

Indeed, that's what makes me go "okay...?". XD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 749 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next