All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:52 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Last week, one of my fellow archivists noticed a striking peculiarity in the records donated to our library by the mysterious English/Basic Language Preservation Society. Many of the letters and documents they turned over to us appear to be closely related despite what appears to be an enormous chronological and social gap between them; for instance, some documents reference others that couldn't possibly have been written in the same time period, and their authors, while seemingly well-acquainted and all fluent speakers of English, appear to have significant cultural differences as well. Furthermore, these records frequently reference locations, events, and even technologies that seem to have been lost to history, if they ever happened at all.

They've been repeatedly scanned and cross-referenced for authenticity, yet we still haven't found any evidence that would discount their validity. Maybe this is the work of rogue time travelers the Agency hasn't yet been able to apprehend? That would explain the anachronistic nature of these records. Maybe this is a genuine find that could challenge the very conceptions of our past? That seems unlikely, as the advent of safe time travel has strengthened and solidified our collective knowledge of history. Maybe this is a scattered example of "fiction", as was a common custom at various points in the distant past? That... would only leave more questions, if anything.

Whatever the case may be, these records will be arranged here in what appears to be the order they were written (relatively speaking, of course). They are as follows:

#GCLA04091902144, a letter from "Robert Glear" to "D. D. Onarevyl", presumably written in "United Kingdom" during mid 21st cen 2CE

David,

Or "Dallas", as you'd prefer - we'll have to agree to disagree on our unusual surnames.

Shamlock's murder was an odd case indeed. The way the press tells it, I used my knowledge of forensic science to uncover the trail of clues and trace them back to his own bodyguard. In reality, it didn't take the deductive reasoning of Sherlock Holmes to figure out his own security team was plotting against him, nor a firearms expert to tell the bullet had been pulled out with a powerful electromagnet. In fact, there are still some things I haven't figured out: How did the bodyguard remove it so cleanly? Why did the head of security confess to conspiracy, but not divulge the identity of the hitman he hired? Whoever that hitman is, how hasn't he been caught? I don't care how good his aim was - it should have been easy to catch someone firing a sniper rifle from a rooftop.

I'm glad they let me back on the force, though, but I suspect they needed me more than I needed them. The newer ones have been outright ignoring the anarchists that have been torching the shops, and actually arrested livestock - livestock, of all things! - for inane reasons. I don't have the authority to show those muppets how it's done from my division directly, but I hope my squad can lead by example. Of course, for all the lip service the press pays me for my heroism, they also contradict themselves by saying that special operations has no place in law enforcement.

Wait, are you from the United States? You don't really sound like a Yank, and I think you mentioned it, but I'm surprised you haven't heard of any European countries before. Are you taking the mickey at me?

Sincerely,

Robert Glear

#GCLA07151919469, a letter from "D. D. Onarevyl" to "Robert Glear", presumably written during 19th??? cen 2CE, unknown location

Dear Robert,

Yes, indeed we shall. I'm sorry for having offended you for... what was the expression? "The pot calling the kettle black"?

I don't think a firearms expert would have come to that conclusion, actually - it's not like bullets are completely made of iron, particularly rifle ammunition, and it would usually take more than a strong magnet to mask a bullet wound so well. Perhaps the hitman you speak of could be tracked by investigating his most unusual arsenal?

Also, please forgive my ignorance again, but who is Sherlock Holmes?

I know how it feels to be promoted to a position you didn't even know existed. The League accepted me not long after I gave up a career in espionage, and I had to engage in more spy work anyway as their Chief of Security!

I've noticed something - we don't have any landmarks or even countries in common, except maybe the United States of America. To me, it's a fairly new country built on the remains of other territories, whereas to you it is the thriving homeland of those you refer to as "Yanks." I have not heard of your Europe, you do not sound familiar with my League, and with the exception of the United States, neither of us recognize the names of the other's nearby nations - even our respective world powers, the land you call Britain and the lands I call the Isle of Three. There is something very strange indeed about this correspondence, no doubt about it, and I'm just as perplexed as you are.

What about religion? What gods do you and those around you worship? Perhaps we might find an answer there.

David "Dallas" Chandlerson, *REDACTED* Isle of Three

The needless complication of the template appended to each of my posts? My signature characteristic.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace