All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Grand-Boss's Return
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:48 pm 
World Manager

Medals: 1
Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

The festival in the neighboring kingdom had done little for Tea-Fur’s business. The Ragged Wing was as quiet as usual, with the same clientele having scheduled meetings around the best tea in the swamps. Wealthier merchants from Black-Rock would stray out this far to do business in a location more convenient to out-of-city business partners, and the tea shop had itself quite a reputation for a splendid product and quiet, respectful atmosphere.

Usually, anyway- as long as Tea-Fur’s son hadn’t earned his wise father’s ire. Today happened to be one of those days. The two bats had stepped off to a courtyard outside the teahouse proper- but the yelling match continued with plenty of gusto, going in and out of their native bat-speak into nezumi tongue quite frequently. To his credit, Tea-Fur did not raise his but once, to end the argument. “We will not have this discussion again.” The elder bat yelled out in nezumi-tongue, silencing the younger bat. Tea-Fur lowered his voice. “You disrespect your father’s house and bring shame upon us with your youthful anger. Go find Ash-Snout in the fields and see if you can help him.” He added. The young bat’s chest was strong, as were his wings, but Tea-Fur would readily admit that his son’s mind was his weakest muscle- he was not a stupid boy, really, simply an angry one.

The younger bat flung open the door and stormed through the tea-house, and back out the front, with Tea-Fur quietly hobbling back inside after he’d gone, looking around at the customers staring at him. An old Tarnished-Sword raised up his cup of tea “Oy, Tea-Fur, if you think bat children are brash, you should raise nezumi young. My son bit a chunk out of his mother’s ear when she first stopped him from sleeping in the crib!” he laughed, and the other nezumi joined in, transitioning back into their conversations. Tea-Fur smiled and bowed lightly and fetched up another pot of tea to bring over to the table. The old rat just smirked.

“You know, Bone-Tail, you keep being so friendly with me and people are going to talk.” Tea-Fur chuckled, pouring the rat some tea.

The nezumi took a sip before sighing and leaning back in his seat. “About what, Tea-Fur? No man here that’s had a litter with some wench hasn’t had at least one rowdy son. I take it your boy still thinks himself some grand revolutionary, does he?” Bone-Tail asked. He shifted his sword in the seat next to him, the long, gently curved thing housed in a scabbard made from the bones of another nezumi’s tail- hence the rat’s name.

“Don’t all young men think violence will change the world?” Tea-Fur asked, putting the pot down on the well-worn table. He could see his son running out across to the plantation outside.

“That’s the thing, bat, it usually does. Just not always in a way we expect.” The nezumi chuckled. “Is this-“

“Delicate emerald pearl, yes. It’s the middle of the week, I always keep a pot on for my best customer.” The bat responded plainly.

“You never let me pay anyway, Tea-Fur.” Bone-Tail responded with a chuckle.

“That’s because the tea is payment for you saving my life. We’ve been over this, Bone-Tail.” The bat responded with a polite sigh. “I know nezumi care more about glory than honor, but it is a debt I will pay.”

“Think of it as loyalty- one of our more universally appreciable traits. Honor is glory for a good cause- loyalty is glory for all of us.” The nezumi responded, taking another sip. “Y’know, I head the Grand-Boss actually went to that damned festival over in Akamu for the day. I didn’t think the old man had ever been out of the swamps.”

Tea-Fur perked up at that- new gossip wasn’t hard to come by, but meaningful talk was. “Really? What would have prompted the Patriarch of the Gunpowder Dynasty to travel for such a thing?”

Bone-Tail smirked. “He asked Lady Pale-Fur to accompany him, too, but she declined. The old man even brought Earth-Splitter with him. He hasn’t moved the axe in 15 years, and he just decided to pick it up and sling it on like it wasn’t even a burden. The thing’s as tall as I am.” The nezumi explained. “Pale-Fur said something about meeting a new queen. Maybe he figures we ought to show ourselves outside the borders a bit more. World’s a busy place- there’s tactical advantage in showing the strength of a ruler.” Bone-Tail reasoned.

Tea-Fur didn’t respond, but just kept staring out the window.

“Oy, you old bastard, are you listening to me?” Bone-Tail spat, thumping his sword’s scabbard on the ground.

The bat blinked and looked over. “Well if that’s who I think it is landing outside, maybe we can ask him ourselves why he went.” Tea-Fur muttered, pointing outside.

Bone-Tail followed the gesture- and sure enough, a pack of moths was landing, complete with the Fire-Furred King in tow- and a white vixen, an outlander. “****ing hell, the Grand-Boss is *here*?” Bone-Tail hissed out, causing a mad stir to roll through the patrons, many flocking over to the windows to look outside before trying to make themselves presentable enough.

~~~

Cinder-Fur’s conversation with Kalani had been polite enough- the rat was quite deft at dodging questions, and took pleasure in her attempts to keep their conversation reigned in to something of a topic she might actually wish to discuss.

Of course, by the time she managed to get back on topic, he was ready to interrupt her again. “We still have some sunlight.” He declared plainly. “And there is somewhere I wish to stop on the way home. What do you know of bats then, diplomat? And of tea?” he asked curiously- but with a slightly teasing tone.

"The bats have my sympathies," she answered after a long pause. "I know what it is like to feel unwelcome even in one's own home, and I regret that they have no-one to speak on their behalf. Often I am reminded that doing so is not one of my responsibilities."

"...As for tea," she added, "I know the ceremony well, but I find that most of it brewed in your kingdom is too bitter. In Olahn Korlarin, we serve ours differently; it is common to add sugar or spices to the mixture. I prefer mine to be tart, strange as that may sound. Most others would rather it taste sweet."

“Well, then you haven’t had good tea, then.” Cinder-Fur responded as they circled for landing- a plantation near a small community, bats roaming the streets visible as they came down. “And you haven’t met the right bats.” He finished as his moth touched down with a soft chirr. “Old bones could use some warm tea.” He muttered, sliding off.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:51 pm 

Best Couple (1)

As the duo of nezumi and fox made their way towards the little tea shop, White Shadow followed from a distance away. She still was unsure why she had decided to follow Cinder-Fur's moths for so long, she had nearly lost them many times on the way back, but she just felt the need to do this. One day your going to get yourself killed following all these people for no reason. Boredom is going to be the death of me. As the thought passed she recognized the tea shop from one of her previous missions, it had good tea from what she remembered, though she hadn't stayed long. That might've had to do with one of the customers dying shortly after her visit. Sighing, she made her way around the duo until she was position in a long shadow near the establishment, and waited, if they entered she would most likely follow suite, but for now she was content with listening.

"I frosted the cake with your tears. Delicioussssss~Sorrow-Drinker, the Observer"-Ganelon

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:19 am 
World Manager

1st Year (1)

(Sorry for the delay, and the length. They won't all be this long, in both respects.)

Kalani

Riding giant silk moths was not quite a new experience for Kalani, but it was one that she doubted she would ever grow fully accustomed to. Their steadiness was a great comfort that became considerably more so at the dizzying heights which they preferred to travel, but those same heights prevented her from ever feeling safe upon one's back. If she fell, there would be no saving her; she would be out of sight in moments and dead before anything could be done about it. The only thing keeping her in place was her own grip, which was tight enough that it was beginning to hurt. She wished that she could have been holding onto her parasol instead, and standing back on safe, unmoving earth.

Part of her felt guilty for not enjoying an opportunity that she had fantasized about for years as a young kit. The Grand Boss was a living legend - one that she never truly expected to meet in person, let alone travel with, and yet all she could think about was how much longer it would be before they landed again. She turned to conversation to distract herself while passing the time, and found the old rat to be a willing but unorthodox participant; it was difficult to keep his attention focused on nearly any subject she thought to bring up, and he frequently neglected to answer questions altogether, yet he remained willing to speak afterwards as if he were engaged by the very act itself. They moved through a wide array of topics this way, from politics, to philosophy, and even to things which Kalani was quite certain he held a personal interest in, all to the same effect. She would coax a few promising comments from him, and then he would interrupt her to ask about something else entirely.

At first she thought that the Grand Boss was simply being disrespectful, feigning interest in their discourse as a way to humiliate her, but that was not consistent with his previous behavior and contradicted what she already knew about him. If he truly took issue with what she had said, or what she was, he would never have allowed her to ride with him in the first place. It seemed instead that he was playing some sort of game at her expense; one where the actual subject of the conversation was less important than, she reasoned, one's ability to control its direction. If so, they were hardly on equal terms - the difference in status alone between Cinder-Fur and herself allowed him to act without fear of reprisal, while she was expected to respond politely to his every remark, no matter how rude or trivial.

Fair play, it seemed, was of little interest to the retired ninja. His game was sufficient to take her mind far from the matter of flight, however, and by the time she felt ready to compete rather than merely participate, it looked as though they had arrived at their destination. She wasted no time in dismounting to massage her sore palms, and silently lamented that sunburns were not so easily cured.

"It is true that most islanders do not go to such great lengths to prepare their tea," Kalani admitted, easily keeping in stride with Cinder-Fur as they approached the old building, "but just because the method is faster, or easier, does not always mean that the product's quality must suffer for it. I know a family of weasels that has been making tea for over five generations on the outer islands. As Eitan, it is one of the few trades that remains profitable for them in our kingdom, yet their work is among some of the best I have ever tasted."

Cinder-Fur smiled. "Then I hope what you have here is even better. This shop and plantation are owned by a bat, Tea-Fur, descended from a long line of bats of similar profession. The pride of their drink is tied to family name, and his craft is well known even to the south of our lands," he explained. "But perhaps your tastes are different. We’ll just have to see. Ah, here he comes now, I think."

Tea-Fur pushed the door to his tea shop and hobbled out onto the front porch of the place. His pace was fairly quick after many years using his crutch, but Cinder-Fur still closed the distance quickly, waving for the bat to stay on the shaded porch. "Tea-Fur, I suspect? We are both old men, the day is warm. Why not leave the heat to the young and stay in the shade?" he offered, hoping Kalani would simply think to follow him inside as his entourage secured the moths. "Your reputation precedes you. I’ve long wanted to come and try your tea, old one."

Tea-Fur smiled politely. "You flatter me, Patriarch. One with so many titles and such a legendary reputation is too kind in his expectations, but I hope to live up to them all the same," he remarked.

Cinder-Fur chuckled - the bat had been speaking in nezumi-language, and his accent was pronounced but controlled. "I do not mean to be a sudden and undue burden, but I tired of the festival in the west and thought this a better way to spend my time. Do you have room for my traveling party? I cannot promise that they are all as well-mannered as you."

Tea-Fur nodded profusely. "Yes, yes Patriarch, we have space. What would you care to sample, Grand-Boss?"

Cinder seemed pensive for a moment before smiling. "To be honest, I have long harbored a desire to experience traditional tea ceremony. It is only something I had seen in my youth, but never partaken of. Would it trouble you?"

Tea-Fur’s wing claw swept in a waving motion. "Not at all, Patriarch." He replied. He hobbled up to the door and pushed it open, yelling inside in bat-tongue, a confusing cacophony of chirps and high-pitched chittering to those unfamiliar with it. The bat turned around and showed sheepishly, lowering his gaze in deference for a moment. "My apologies, Grand-Boss. I employ the young from the village and they only respond to a strong word, much like myself when I was young." He explained again in nezumi-language, but transitioned to common tongue for his next utterance. "I see you bring one from the island kingdom then, yes? You partake of that spiced tea in your lands. I may still have a store of the right spices from last autumn, and I may provide the leaf, if you would prefer that."

"I'll be fine without," she replied to the bat, once again averting her eyes out of respect. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Tea-Fur. My informal name is Kalani the White, and though I do appreciate it, you need not trouble yourself to accommodate me. If it is more comfortable for you to do so, feel free to speak to me in your native language; my grasp of the Nezumi tongue is stronger than it is with your peoples', but I should still have no great difficulty understanding you."

Tea-Fur nodded a little. "By the way you dress, I would imagine you are quite fond of the ways of the swamps. That, or you are suicidal." The old bat chuckled. "Perhaps they are one and the same here, though. I will prepare the tea, then. There is a booth that overlooks the courtyard that is large enough for your entourage and then some, Patriarch."

Cinder-Fur smiled amicably - he really had been looking forward to this. "Well then, let us retire inside," he remarked, letting the bat hobble ahead of him... before noticing the number of rats that had started to gather near the door, muttering about seeing the Boss. The old rat leaned a little close to Kalani and whispered. "I really never get used to this."

She looked down at him, then inside the building, and answered as quietly as she could without becoming inaudible.

"I... I think they might attack me for this."

Dusk-Walker

For the entire moth-ride home, Dusk-Walker fumed. He had never wished to attend the northerner's festival to begin with, but being held responsible for his people's departure was somehow far worse. Of course, in his mind the blame rested everywhere except upon his own shoulders; firstly it fell to Cinder-Fur, for leaving himself surrounded by foreigners and forcing his only bodyguard to rush the completion of a pointless delivery, then it moved to the Akamu guards, whose gross over-reaction to said bodyguard ascending a simple wall caused them to engage him in an equally pointless argument, and at last it came to rest on Hard-heart and Lost-eyes, whose summons brought Cinder-Fur back to the landing and convinced him to leave early, thus ensuring that their entire visit was rendered pointless.

Then again, perhaps the time wasted there would only be the rats' second greatest mistake of the day. It looked like the boss had picked up some thoroughly unwanted company to bring back home with him; a white-fur - a Sunless - and a foreigner at that. The irritable ninja could hardly even imagine why they were traveling with her, but it certainly fit his master's apparent fixation with self-destructive behavior. They would share words later, and he knew that he would be reprimanded for provoking the guards, but he had his own things to say about how readily the Boss consorted with outsiders and the accursed. Regrettably, he already knew that in a proper argument he stood no chance of convincing the old rat of anything.

There was another problem, though - one that Dusk-Walker was much more eager to focus on. From his position near the back of the Nezumi entourage, he could tell that they had picked up a tail from somewhere in the festival. It was too distant for him to steal more than glimpses at who, or what, was following them, but his eyes told him that it was large, airborne, and fast enough to keep pace with the moths. His first thought was that the pursuer was a dragon, or an Akamu riding one, but that seemed wrong. The northerners and their mounts were known for many things, but subtlety was not one of them, and they would have been fools to allow Cinder-Fur to leave their city if they had unfinished business with him. If it hadn't attacked already... perhaps another Nezumi?

At the distance it was keeping, an airborne confrontation of any real length would cause the ninja to lose sight of his allies. The same fate would likely befall their stalker, too, but he was more concerned about remaining with the group than he was about the potential security threat posed by a single enemy up against the Four Clans' three most capable retainers. When he knew what his destination was, he reasoned, he could deal with the problem alone in one way or another.

Eventually the entourage made a safe landing outside some bat's plantation, although Dusk-Walker did not join them. He ordered his moth to ascend until he could barely see the ground, commanded it to remain in place, and allowed himself to slowly drift into a state of meditation. Piece by piece, the environment receded from his comprehension; the winds stilled and grew quiet, the earth became grey and featureless, and the skies darkened until they composed a perfect black void. Only his thoughts remained for a time, but they were soon accompanied by the alien presence of a life that was not his own. Like feeling a second heartbeat, he knew that a living creature was beneath him - his moth, just under his legs - but could not open his eyes to see it, nor his ears to listen to the quiet buzzing of its wings.

He embraced the feeling, and willed it to grow stronger. Even with all of his training, it took a considerable amount of time to produce results from such a great distance, but seemingly all at once, he began to detect more signs from the ground below. Most were difficult to separate from each other, being in too close proximity, but there was a large, distinct group inside what must have been the building, and another, smaller one approaching it from outside. That left only a single outlier, circling around the rest from an odd angle, and no longer airborne. The trance ended, and Dusk-Walker opened his eyes.

"Land!" he shouted to his moth, punctuating the order with a tug of its reins. Without waiting for a response, he drew his sword, let go, and jumped.

The fall was of no great concern to Dusk-Walker, who could turn himself nearly weightless with a thought, but the winds created a problem that was not so easily ignored. He possessed very little control over the direction of his descent, forcing him to maintain his full weight throughout a majority of the fall or risk being blown off-course. That alone did not worry him so much as the speed, however; it was difficult to land quietly or safely with so little space to decelerate, and his target area was no wider than the span of one arm. He could see the creature as he fell, hiding in the shadow of Tea-Fur's shop - it looked to be a Nezumi after all.

Unfortunately he missed his mark, landing several meters behind the rat rather than virtually on top of her as he had intended. Worse still, his impact with the ground was loud enough that it did not go unnoticed. When she turned around to see what had caused the disturbance, he decided not to waste the opportunity and pointed his blade towards her.

"Stalking the boss, hmm?" he mused out loud, grinning rather unpleasantly. "Stupid of you."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:03 am 

Best Couple (1)

That sudden landing behind the albino Nezumi did shock her quite heavily, though once she turned to see a blade pointed at her, she quickly gathered her thoughts and composed herself to the best of her ability. It only took a moment for her to recognized who was only a hairsbreadth from ending her. Dusk-Walker, a Mire-Shadow like her, and years more experienced. She knew there was no way to fight out of this, for not only was he a better fighter in such close quarters but he was leagues better at blood magic, something she barely understood. Thinking through her options, all she had left was hoping beyond all hopes that she could convince the post paranoid Nezumi in the Mire to not kill her. I'm doomed.

Clearing her throat, she positioned her self in the most unthreatening manner should could provide, while still being prepared to run for her life if need be. "Why yes, I am following the Boss, but it isn't for malevolent purposes I assure you." Sighing, she realized this was going to take a while. "I know...this doesn't look very positive, but your a fellow Mire-Shadow, surely you know that our organization wouldn't send someone to assassinate Cinder-Fur. At least, not this poorly." Inside her head she facepalmed so hard it felt like she might explode. Why not just say, "Yeah I may look like a distraction for a grander plan, but trust the complete stranger to not be endangering our leader's life."

"I frosted the cake with your tears. Delicioussssss~Sorrow-Drinker, the Observer"-Ganelon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:40 pm 
World Manager

Supporter (1)

Cinder-Fur inhaled the dry smell of the tea shop, stoked by small little pits of coal with cast iron pots atop them. It reminded him keenly of stories his wife had told him of a time when she’d been sent by the then-leader of the Flint-Sickles to infiltrate a trade caravan that was suspected of harboring a clan deserter from the Tarnished-Swords. She’d replaced a concubine for the caravan’s leader and had gotten to participate in tea ceremony. She’d described it vividly, and Cinder could tell that she had greatly enjoyed the experience, and he had fully intended to indulge her in it again someday.

But then came the plague, and that changed. He merely intended to try it himself to understand his wife’s attraction to it.

The tea-shop was not exactly lavish, but it wasn’t entirely Spartan. Tradition clearly guided Tea-Fur’s wing in his maintenance of the shop, and it was very much like cinder imagine it would have been like when opened, if not a bit bigger. The floors were clean and lacquered, but had the distinct feel of decades of well-traveled dust pressed into the grain of it. The ceilings were made of the same wood, as were the support beams, and the walls were plaster and paper within wooden frames, the pulpy material stained from years of the faint smoke in the place.

The nezumi waiting for them backed up to let the Grand-Boss in, but still crowded the door. Nezumi culture revered titles and great deeds, but it was rare that one live as long as Cinder-Fur while maintaining status as anything but a coward. There was some subtle hint to the culture that implied that the very old were either extremely tough or just so cowardly that they avoided all danger. It was an old way of thinking, but it still hung around their culture somewhat.

“Grand-Boss, is it true you went to the dog-kingdom to tell those dragon-worshipping mutts that we intend to conquer them?” One rat asked, young and fierce among many older bats. He had a slight sway to him that suggested he had perhaps added something a bit stronger than sugar to his tea.

A strong hand reached out of the crowd and grabbed the younger rat by the ear, tugging him close, the tell-tale chittering of angry nezumi whisper-scolding evident. It was a sound that any nezumi was familiar with- the sound of a parent’s scolding.

“No, I did not travel outside the swamp just to warmonger, young one.” Cinder-Fur responded, waving his arm gently to motion the nezumi to let them through. Tea-Fur’s old form had already hobbled forward and squeezed through the small crowd, heading towards the back, tapping his crutch against a doorframe and chirping out urgent orders in bat-tongue at unseen aides.

“Their new leader is young, and I know what it is to come into leading something as large as a nation. I meant to foster good faith between two nations.” Cinder-Fur explained, receiving little response. “In the bluntest sense, it can mean more trade.”

This seemed to be a satisfactory answer, given the vague nodding of a number of heads in the crowd. “I can see why Lady Pale-Fur didn’t want to go, Cinder-Fur. Sounds boring as hell.” A voice called out, pressing through the side of the crowd.

“Bone-Tail, I’m glad you keep yourself busy between scoldings from Pale-Fur.” Cinder-Fur chuckled.

“Alright alright, go back to drinking you mangy bastards, let the boss enjoy his tea.” Bone-Tail barked roughly. The Tarnished-Sword had once been part of Cinder-Fur’s entourage, but Lady Pale-Fur had insisted on him being replaced in practically any duty because of his particular tendency for insubordination. The rat looked back over at Cinder's group. “Brought a foreigner, eh? Hook-Tail will be **** if he hears that, boss. Y’gonna hold on to Hard-Heart while you drink your tea, or can I have a talk with a clan-brother?”

Cinder-Fur shook his head and waved for Hard-Heart to go with Bone-Tail. “Take your time. I intend to relax.”

Hard-Heart nodded curtly. “Where is Dusk-Walker?”

“Outside. I saw him indulging his paranoia. Leave him be, I don’t think he will like this anyway.” Cinder-Fur responded. “And you, Lost-Eyes?”

“I will join you for tea if it suits you, Boss.” She replied plainly.

Tea-Fur’s voice carried through the shop loud enough to be heard, but still with a tone of deferential respect. “Patriarch, we are ready for you.”

Cinder-Fur nodded. “Ah, fantastic. Thank you. Come on then.” He responded, heading to the back with Kalani and Lost-Eyes in tow.

Tea-Fur led them to a smaller room floored with bamboo mats around a low table, allowing them to take their positions. Cinder-Fur was offered the first seat, and though Lost-Eyes was offered the second, she shook her head. “The Sunless is the Boss’s guest.” She explained, leaving Kalani to take her place. There were thin, cotton cushions on the floor to make kneeling more comfortable. Cinder-Fur unclasped Earth-Splitter and laid it behind him. Tea-Fur got down on the other side of the table, leaving his crutch by his side.

Tea Ceremony was an interesting reflection of realities of the swamp, in Cinder-Fur’s mind. As Tea-Fur began to methodically clean the tea bowl, scoop, and whisk in practiced, graceful motions. The injury to his wing did not hinder his skill. He dealt with hardship and persisted, a very swamp-dweller idea. The necessity for cleaning was also intrinsic to the swamp. With disease so prevalent to the unaccustomed, or even among nezumi, the value of hygiene was obvious after the plague.

“So, Kalani.” Cinder-Fur spoke after a short while silently watching Tea-Fur work. “What brought you to the festival in Akamu? Simply the opportunity to rub shoulders with foreigners?”

"To learn about their culture, yes," the fox answered quietly. "The Akamu are a united people, and sadly they are united in their prejudice, as well. It was a chance for me to walk freely in their city without a collar around my neck, though... I also wished to show my support for Queen Maka's message."

Cinder-Fur watched Tea-Fur proceed on to scoop some of the fine green powder into the bowl. In the table’s center, low coals kept a pot of water warm and ready. There was the soft sound of a door being slid open behind them. Three young bat women came into the room as quietly as possible, trays balanced on their wing claws as they leaned down and placed one in front of each guest. Each had two small plates: one with three sweet rice-flour dumplings of three colors on a skewer, and the other with a small firm, gelatinous cube colored a brownish red. “For eating before the tea.” Tea-Fur explained. “And one for after. Matcha has a bitter aftertaste, and the sugar helps clean the palette again, with the taste enhanced by contrasting flavor.” He explained.

“I think it only fair that you ask me questions now, Kalani.” Cinder-Fur responded once tea-fur was finished speaking, watching him ladle water into the bowl. The Fire-Furred king had a soft spot for sweets and picked up the skewer, plucking one dumpling off with his teeth.

For a while Kalani remained silent, her only response to Cinder-Fur being a slight nod to indicate that she understood what he had said. She followed his example and took a dumpling from her tray, chewing it thoughtfully as she considered the best way to begin. Her reaction to the taste was almost invisible, though she did appear to enjoy it at least slightly.

"Do you think that foreigners should be welcome in your kingdom, Grand Boss?"

Cinder-Fur chuckled and plucked another dumpling free. Tea-Fur started to whisk the tea vigorously. “A biting question, for a diplomat. I like that.” He responded, looking thoughtful. “Yes. I actually see it as an inevitability.” Cinder-Fur explained. “But it will take time. Tea-Fur here can certainly speak to the troubles of non-nezumi that are fellow swamp-dwellers.”

Tea-Fur looked exceedingly uncomfortable before looking at Cinder-Fur, meeting his gaze, and nodding slightly. “It is better though, Patriarch, since your rise.”

Cinder-Fur smiled genuinely. “Ah, that is actually good to hear. And Lost-Eyes? In this I expect your loyalty to me, and not to Hook-Tail. This is not a conversation for him.” Cinder remarked sternly, gaze not even brushing past the other nezumi. She did not respond. “But you have to realize our dislike of foreigners. The older ones among us understand that the old empire was nezumi undermining nezumi, but the foreign countries encouraged this, directly or indirectly. We were made weak to accommodate foreigners. Even bringing you here will gain me much criticism- my titles do not make me impervious from scrutiny. Do you understand?”

"Of course." Kalani blushed, enough that it was visible along her snout even through the fur, and shifted uncomfortably where she sat. "I'm sorry, that was a foolish thing to ask. It is good to know you feel that way, but even a leader only has so much power over his own people. I must be quite a burden, in that respect."

Tea-Fur lifted the whisk from the bowl and placed it before him. He lifted the bowl and handed it to Cinder-Fur, who accepted it in both hands. Cinder-Fur looked it over for a moment. “There’s no need to be embarrassed, Kalani. I appreciate the question, and your response to my answer is telling. You are sincere, a rare quality among diplomats.” He remarked before bringing the bowl to his snout and drinking. The bowl was wide and shallow to make the enterprise easier. When he was done, he took a cloth that was folded in front of him, as it one was before each guest, and wiped where he had taken his sip, rotated the bowl some, and passed it to Kalani. This was how the tea was shared- a communal drink, but clean in execution.

"It seems that I am a collection of rare qualities," she replied, hesitating to taste the mixture. "But they have made me a stranger in my own home. Am I wrong to feel grateful for this isolation?"

She brought the bowl close and took a sip - just long enough to be respectful - and shut her eyes tight in response to the bitter flavor. As she set it back down and began to clean its surface, she continued.

"...You don't need to answer that. I was going to ask if you would be willing to receive diplomats like myself in more than just guest rooms at the palace, in the future. They are comfortable, I hear, but... temporary. Ill-suited to extended stays. You are right, though - your people would see it as a regression to the ways of the old empire."

Cinder-Fur watched Lost-Eyes retrieve the bowl and nearly finish it, leaving the last drop for Tea-Fur. She wiped the bowl’s edge, rotated it, and passed it as Cinder responded. “Yes. If you wish to study our people and seek to try and form a lasting presence for diplomats here in the Mirelands, I would support the idea. However, as you suggest, having you stay in the citadel would be problematic.” He suggested. “You can stay long enough for us to locate an apartment for you in one of the nicer foreigner districts, and you will be escorted by one of my companions when you are to come to the Citadel.” Cinder-Fur reasoned. “I would advise against performing magic without my express permission in my presence, and when alone, nothing that would draw notice. We are untrusting of spell-crafters.” He continued. “Many believe your people were responsible for the plague.”

Kalani was nearly incredulous. "You... are you quite sure, Grand Boss? Just like that?"

Cinder-Fur watched Tea-Fur take his drink and lower the bowl, beginning to clean it and the utensils. “Just like that.” He stated in response, watching the bat work. He knew he was taking on a burden with such quick action, but the Fire-Furred King was well used to listening to Hook-Tail nag and complain. Lady Pale-Fur would back his play, and the Council could be convinced of the use of such things easily. In effect, more potential targets. The people would be skeptical, but so long as he played things evenly, things would be fine. He would task his daughters with influencing public opinion.

Tea-Fur straightened his back and nodded almost unperceivably. “I thank you for the honor bestowed on me. I rarely get to indulge others in this tradition, passed from my most distant forefather, Tea-Fur, along with his name, down to me. Thanks are given to the earth, the light, and the water that made this tea.” The bat remarked. Tradition dictated the incantation, a remnant of old bat religion. Tea-Fur smiled. “You may finish your confection as your pace, Patriarch. The room is yours for the afternoon. May I fetch anything else?”

Cinder-Fur snapped his fingers lightly. “How about a pot of silver-needle white tea? Then join us a while, Tea-Fur. I would like to discuss having you supply tea to the Citadel.” He explained politely.

Tea-Fur stammered a moment. “S-such an honor is most appreciated, Patriarch. I will return momentarily- ah. I am forgetful.” He responded, retrieving a small box, clad in black silk with silver moths embroidered onto it, and secured with a single white ribbon. “For you, foreigner. I had an attendant fetch some chai from our stocks. If you require more during your stay, please, I would be happy to help provide a favorable image of the swamps by supplying more.”

"You have already done a far better job than I thought possible, Tea-Fur. Thank you," she said, accepting the box with a warm smile. "And... you!" she continued, turning her attention towards Cinder-Fur. "Your daughters told me you were generous, but truly, I did not expect this. I was afraid it would take years to... to actually change something, for the better. Thank you."

Cinder-Fur laughed and plucked up the sweet that was still on his platter, letting Tea-Fur hobble past, looking both terrified and excited. “I think you’ll find that I prefer to make changes in large, sweeping moves.” He responded. “But you are welcome.”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:21 pm 
World Manager

1st Year (1)

Dusk-Walker

Dusk-Walker's grin widened. The Boss's little stalker was positively terrified of him, and rightfully so. Working for such a significant public figure had gained him quite a reputation, especially in comparison to the other members of his clan. There were many living Mire-Shadows who were easily more skilled than he was, but very few of them had names recognized by the public - it was simply the nature of assassins to remain anonymous as a matter of convenience, and to protect themselves. Cinder-Fur's personal retainer, however, could not afford to keep his deeds separate from his identity, and in truth, he was addicted to his own infamy. He loved being feared almost more than he loved the elation of a job well-executed, and found ample opportunity for both in the employ of the Patriarch.

Pursuing that thought, he had a mistake to correct. He was already thinking about how; indeed, he was always thinking about how. Black-Nose, his former master, had told him many times that he was blessed with a strong imagination, and just like everything else, he learned to use it as a weapon. The other rat looked ready to flee; he was sure that he knew how she would try.

"Why yes, I am following the Boss, but it isn't for malevolent purposes I assure you."

She looked every bit like the sort of thief one would expect to find skulking about the shadows, if such a thief could be found at all. Only a close look at her eyes revealed that she was an albino, and it was impossible to guess at what she was hiding underneath her clothes. Weapons, most likely - no Sunless born in the swamps survived long enough to become an adult by being a faster runner than her peers.

Dusk-Walker did not respond to her claim, nor did he believe it.

The albino sighed. "I know... this doesn't look very positive, but you're a fellow Mire-Shadow, surely you know that our organization wouldn't send someone to assassinate Cinder-Fur. At least, not this poorly."

A fellow...

He knew who she was. Hook-Tail used to argue with the Council of Three about sheltering a "Sunless traitor" during meetings between the Four Clans, and though they never confessed to anything, her reputation was quite difficult to hide. White-Shadow - a specialist in poisons and ranged weaponry, and as Hook-Tail said, a deserter from the Sky-Piercers. She was no veteran, but Dusk-Walker couldn't kill one of his own clanmates until it was certain that she had turned traitor. He would die first, otherwise.

"No," he growled, lowering his weapon without returning it to its sheath. "They would tell me to do it, first. I know you arrived alone; what do you want?"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:05 pm 

Best Couple (1)

Once she noticed him lowering the weapon, the albino visible relaxed, but not entirely. She wasn't a moron, and rarely relaxed completely, even when she knew there was no danger. Though it kept her stress levels unheathily high, she had been told, it had saved her life on more than one occasion. Alright, so he isn't going to kill me, for now. Might as well come clean then, he'll find out soon enough anyways. Leaning up against the building, still in the shadows, she let out another sigh. "Alright, I'm here because I'm bored."

For a moment, she let that sit in the air. Once White Shadow was comfortable with letting that sink in she continued. "I was assigned to see what exactly would happen at the festival with the Boss there." She paused, realizing that might show misstrust towards Dusk-Walker from the Three. "No offense to you, but the Council of Three wanted a non-biased report on the events at the festival. Your 'relationship' with Cinder-Fur would possibly dilude some of the facts." Once she felt that detail was handled, she looked through one of the nearby windows to see a tea ceremony going on inside. Interesting...

Looking back at Dusk-Walker, she realized a detail was missing from her story. Why she was here and not back at the festival. "Once the Boss left the festival my job was essentially done, so I decided to follow him back here, out of interest to see what he would do." WIth that she closed her eyes briefly, but not entirely, just in case the seasoned assassin before her would pull something. "Anything else you wish to know?"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:20 am 
World Manager

1st Year (1)

Kalani

"You are welcome."

Kalani repeated the phrase in her mind several times over. "You are welcome... you are welcome... you are welcome." It didn't feel real to her. It was as if she had stepped out of a tavern in Akamu and into one of her own fantasies, and at any moment she would wake up on a healer's bed to discover that the sweltering heat of the mountains had caused her to pass out in the middle of the street. How could the Grand Boss, the figurehead of a culture that despised everything she represented, show her such generosity? It was what she had wanted, but... she didn't feel as though she had earned it. Convincing Cinder-Fur had happened too fast, too easily, for her to be convinced, herself.

...When was the last time someone had said that to her as anything more than a formality?

The onset of her tea's strongly bitter aftertaste shook the fox out of her thoughts long enough to overhear the middle of a heated argument between Tea-Fur and another younger bat somewhere outside the room. She couldn't make out the words with any real clarity - they were muffled by the distance and spoken too quickly for that - but it definitely didn't seem to end with either side conceding the point. Kalani helped herself to one of the confections that she had left untouched as it drew to a close.

A few moments later, Tea-Fur hobbled into the room looking pale and decidedly empty-handed. "Ah, Grand-Boss, I cannot procure another pot of tea for you until our water vessels have been cleaned." He stammered, his breathing heavy. There was more yelling in the back room and sounds of some minor struggle.

"My son... possessed with youth as he is, has dosed them with poison while I was preparing traditional ceremony, Patriarch." he continued, stammering still. Cinder-Fur's hand went to his axe immediately, and Tea-Fur kept talking. "He is young and stupid and angry, Patriarch. Forgive my shortcomings as a parent and take my head instead of his!"

The door from the back burst open, a young bat that looked much like Tea-Fur shrugging off two of the old bat's attendants. "You would betray your own blood to the king of our enemy, father? I do not want your name for it is that of a traitor!" He hissed out in bat-tongue, lunging forward furiously. Cinder-Fur deftly side-stepped the younger bat and let him hit the floor.

Taken by surprise, Kalani did the only thing she was able to - she rose to her feet and put a hand over the hilt of her rapier, but hesitated to draw it or strike. Although she was certainly willing to defend the Grand Boss, she was also mindful of the fact that he and his companions had little reason to trust her so close with a weapon in hand. Fortunately, he seemed more than capable of handling himself even without outside assistance, which was particularly relieving as she had no desire to be the one dictating whether his aggressor lived or died.

Cinder-Fur pressed the bottom of his axe's handle into the younger bat's back, pinning him to the floor. He looked at Kalani's hand on her weapon before looking back to Tea-Fur. "How long?"

"...Pardon, Patriarch?" the older bat stammered.

Cinder-Fur raised his voice. "How long to clean out the water basins?"

"L-less than an hour if I bring in some of the field hands, Grand-Boss." Tea-Fur responded, his tone still shaky.

"Do it, then. Do not offer me your head again unless you want me to take it." Cinder grunted. He pressed his axe handle down harder on the bat below him, the younger male squirming and yelling out.

"You dishonor your father's name by spitting on his loyalty to his nation and compassion for you, child." Cinder-Fur hissed out. "And any number of Nezumi in here would gladly gut you for your crime."

The Grand-Boss was right, too; Nezumi from the tea shop had crowded around the door, talking furiously among themselves.

"I can restrain him, if you'll permit me the chance," Kalani offered, slowly releasing the grip on her weapon. "I... may also be able to help clean the water."

Cinder-Fur pressed his axe down more firmly. "I would appreciate both, in fact."

With a slight nod, the ambassador focused her attention on Tea-Fur's son and let the rest of the world drift away. She kept both hands at the ready in front of her, working into a low chant that was nearly inaudible amongst the background of irate, chittering rats. What she was attempting - performing magic directly upon a living subject - normally required the subject's consent or some personal item of theirs to occur at any reasonable speed, but she knew a clever enchanter's trick that hastened the process considerably. It was difficult, but by taking a few careful departures from the usual method, she had acquired all of the information that she needed to truly begin in a matter of minutes. A clear change in her behavior took place as she closed her eyes and began to form symbols with her extended palms.

The opportunity to perform spellcraft with both hands free was a rare privilege for Kalani, at least on anything as complex as a live creature. It reminded her of her time as an apprentice, back before she learned to divide her attention between unrelated subjects and cast with a weapon in-hand. The movements were so much easier, so much more elegant, and there was a purity of purpose to them that most other mages took for granted. Of course, many practitioners of other schools also found the idea of enchanting a person to be unthinkable, and yet it took Kalani only a few words to drain the strength from the young bat's limbs until he would scarcely be able to stand on his own.

"It is done," she stated, returning her attention towards Cinder-Fur. "He should be too fatigued to put up much resistance, now."

Cinder-Fur lifted his axe slowly, the bat below still groaning. The Fire-Furred King regarded Kalani with a stern eye before turning to the door. "Bone-Tail," he spoke firmly. The Tarnished-Sword pushed through the gathering crowd, hand on his sword-hilt.

"Yes, Boss? Do I get his head?" The rat sneered, causing Tea-Fur to pale considerably.

"Quiet. You are to take Hard-Heart and his moth, and bring this one to the wall where my son is stationed." Cinder-Fur explained. "He is being conscripted. Explain to my son what he has done, and inform him that this one is to be taught the value of discipline. Since he seems so eager to disregard his father's kind wisdom, perhaps he will do better under the threat of a regular beating." the Patriarch finished. "You and Hard-Heart are to return to the citadel when finished. I will notify Lady Pale-Fur of the task I have sent you on. Take him now."

Bone-Tail looked almost disappointed and slid his sword further back on his hip, stepping forward and leaning down to drag up the bat, Hard-Heart soon following suit. Cinder-Fur placed his axe back down next to the table and kneeled. "Bone-Tail, he is to be alive when he arrives at the wall."

There was a grumbling sound from in the crowd. Cinder-Fur looked at Tea-Fur after a moment. "Please clean the water basins and prepare a pot of white tea. Then we can discuss what I mentioned previously." he explained. "Sit, Kalani. You are a guest - you will not do the cleaning."

Obediently, she sank back down to her knees and folded one palm over the other. Neither of them spoke for quite some time, but Kalani could not hold her silence forever.

"You showed him mercy, Grand Boss. Why?"

Dusk-Walker

Dusk-Walker listened to the albino talk as if he was a general receiving reports from one of his subordinates, despite the fact that her delivery was about as casual as it could have been. Occasionally, he glanced towards the sky to track the slow descent of his moth, wary of it choosing to land somewhere inconvenient, but most of his attention remained fixed on her story. It was plausible, particularly where it touched upon the motivations of the Mire-Shadows council, but what truly had him convinced was how unfamiliar White Shadow seemed to be with him. If anyone were attempting to deceive one of Cinder-Fur's retainers, they certainly would have studied whom they were dealing with better.

When she was done, he laughed; a low, rasping snicker from a rat whose joy always came at the expense of another. "Sounds like you want my job, White Shadow... or maybe the council wants you to have it."

Sheathing his weapon, he stepped forwards and smiled when the other ninja kept her distance. He stopped at the window she had been looking through to peer inside, himself, and continued. "They hate me. Two of them do, anyways. They've wanted to see me gone ever since I pledged myself to the Grand Boss and they lost hold of the leash around my neck."

His attention turned back towards her. "I still can't betray the clan, of course, but my orders don't come from them any longer. That's why they only try to give up the loyal ones. The council doesn't like to see those of us with... power, serving other masters. I'm a mistake they've wanted to correct for years. Guess they've finally stopped waiting and-"

Dusk-Walker's head spun back to face the window. Shouting was coming from inside the building, followed by the sounds of a struggle. He looked in time to see a bat squirming on the floor against Cinder-Fur's axe, and the foreigner they had brought back from Akamu performing some sort of spell over his prone body. A dozen other rats crowded the doorway, having done nothing to prevent the situation.

...He was too late. The Boss was in no danger, but Dusk-Walker hadn't even been there to help. It was another failure on his behalf. He snarled and pounded a fist into the wall hard enough that it could be felt shaking. His arms continued to shake well after the fact.

"I'm n-not..." the ninja stuttered, glaring back at White Shadow. More strongly than ever, he wished for the freedom to simply cut her down where she stood. "I'M NOT LETTING SOME SUNLESS ****ing TAKE MY PLACE!" he shouted, pointing at her like an angry child. "Not you, and not her. Never!"

He laughed again, this time anxiously. "Leave. Stay! Give me a reason. I don't care. I'm not leaving his side for anyone, and I've wasted enough time on you."

Without lingering to witness her reaction, Dusk-Walker stormed towards the entrance to the building. He didn't look back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:58 am 

Best Couple (1)

The rasping laugh sent a chill down White Shadow's spine. She could tell that what she was telling him wasn't at all supportive of his position. And when he approached she decided to keep her distance, can never be too sure. For a moment she thought that, maybe they might have at least a decent conversation, one not puntuated with her death. That is until the commotion inside the tea shop began and ended just as quickly. Right as the albino nezumi was about to grasp what was going on, Dusk-Walker glared at her, no not glared, shot daggers tipped in every poison imaginable right at her. She shook under that gaze, and the following rant. When he made his way to the door she made no effort to stop him or follow. "I think I should talk to him, ever again." With that she returned her attention to what was going on inside. It was at this moment she noticed who the Grand Boss was having tea with, and albino, a fellow sunless. I should inform the council... Continuing to stare inside, she paused from leaving. Let's see why she's here first, then I'll leave. With that she sunk into the shadows, disappearing from sight, and began to observe the rest of the interaction unfold.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:32 pm 
World Manager

Supporter (1)

Cinder-Fur didn’t respond immediately- he was busy mulling over what answer he wished to give. The whole spectacle had drawn too much attention, and despite his reputation, not every ear was friendly. He waited until the gathered crowd had dispersed more- and for Dusk-Walker to finally come inside- before responding. “Perhaps it is because I am also a father, and I understand the difficulties in overcoming a child’s rebellious phase.” The rat responded. “Or perhaps I just would prefer to not damage my reputation in Tea-Fur’s eyes.”

Cinder-Fur grunted lightly as he settled into his kneeling position. Perhaps he shouldn’t have said that- The prospect of a nezumi being at all concerned with what a bat thought of him was still a delicate concept. It shouldn’t cause much worry, he assured himself. If nezumi were drinking a bat’s tea, they might be slightly more open to the idea. “Or perhaps it would have been rude to stain the tatami floors with his son’s blood.” Cinder-Fur finished. “Either way, I would enjoy having another taste of tea. White tea is very delicate and susceptible to burning- I’ve been told that it takes particular skill to handle it well.”

Cinder turned to watch Dusk-Walker approach. “I trust the other ninja that’s watching me should not be a problem, friend. Thank you for investigating her for me.” He spoke plainly- further evidence that very little escaped Cinder-Fur’s notice, even when he had every right to be distracted. “If it would make you feel better, you and Lost-Eyes can go in the kitchen- with Tea-Fur’s permission- and make sure that the basins are being well cleaned. It would also do well to learn what sort of poison the boy intended to use on me. See if you can find out.” The Patriarch suggested- he knew that Dusk-Walker tended to be cautious about things, but a twinge of paternal instinct that had bubbled up in dealing with Tea-Fur’s son prompted Cinder to thank the Mire-Shadow. He looked agitated- as he often did- but Cinder-Fur figured the ninja would be angry at not being present during an attempt on Cinder’s life.

"The other one's here to spy on us," he growled, "and I would feel better if someone stayed to watch you."

Cinder-Fur chuckled. “Tell her to leave spying to Flint-Sickles. If the council wants to know what I’ve been doing, they can come to court and ask.” He suggested. “And then you can wait here, if you want. Lost-Eyes, please head to the kitchen.”

The black rat took his place kneeling on one of the mats - as close to the entrance as he could manage without becoming an obstruction - and watched as Lost-Eyes departed. True to the Boss's intuition, he looked to be only a few steps away from an outburst, verbal or otherwise. His palms were shaking, despite his best efforts to keep them out of sight.

"So you care about what bats and foreigners think about us, now?"

Cinder-Fur gave Dusk-Walker a quick glance- a practiced one at that. One that sternly suggested that despite their friendship he ought to be more careful with his tongue in current company. “I have always cared about the face of the nezumi, but before now, I hadn’t had the opportunity to act on it. What others think of us is important- a Flint-Sickle obsesses over what others see of him when he works. It isn’t vanity- it’s knowing yourself through how others see you.” The patriarch offered. “Or, as is often suggested, I could be getting old and soft. If you feel my judgment is in question, challenge it- and by extension, me.” The Grand-Boss suggested with an apparently half-serious tone.

Dusk-Walker scoffed; at the suggestion, and at the idea of catering to what he considered outsiders. "I have plenty to say. It can wait for somewhere more private. What did you talk about while I was outside?"

Cinder-Fur looked back towards the kitchen door as Lost-Eyes returned, handing a small gourd to the Grand-Boss. “Tea-Fur says this is what his son was pouring into the basins.” She explained plainly before retreating back into the kitchen. Tea-Fur’s hurried and hushed urgings to his aides was audible when the door was open- and cinder caught a glimpse of him waving his crutch around, giving orders with gusto.

The Patriarch shook the gourd lightly- it wasn’t empty. He wafted his hand over it and caught a whiff of the scent- bitter, and not entirely unfamiliar. Probably something he’d encountered before, but he wasn’t sure. He passed it to Dusk-Walker. “Do you know what sort of poison this is? If the council has sent a spy, maybe they thought it prudent to provide poison for an upstart rebel as well. I may have to ask my daughter to nag her husband’s ears off at this rate- it might cause the council to reconsider a decision to avoid simply asking me my intentions. And as for what I spoke of while you were busy, Dusk-Walker, I’m sure it’s nothing you would find acceptable.”

Cinder-Fur turned his attention back to Kalani. “Had I mentioned that my daughters spoke highly of you? I will admit them to be much worldlier than myself- they have their mother’s wisdom.”

Pulling his mask down, Dusk-Walker took the gourd and sniffed its rim cautiously. With an uncertain expression, he shook it around and peered inside, then drew a small dart from beneath the folds of his clothing and dipped it inside. When drawn into the light, it appeared as a thin substance with a faint amber color reminiscent of hardened tree sap. He stared closely at it while Kalani spoke.

"You did mention it, yes," the fox calmly answered. "They have all been so kind to me... I regret that I have no means to repay them for it. I know that they, and you, are not doing this purely for my sake, but that it is being done at all means more to me than words can describe."

"...Thank you," she said once again. Dusk-Walker made a short squeak in response - likely unintentional, but it served to draw the room's attention nonetheless.

"Not one of ours. Twittus, maybe. Could be made around here without drawing attention."

Cinder pondered that for a moment. “I will have word sent that the boy is to be questioned regarding how he acquired it. If he did not make it himself, then he might have like-minded friends.” The old nezumi suggested. “And as I said before, Kalani, you are welcome. If you’ve anything else to discuss or ask, feel free. Dusk-Walker does a poor job of hiding his disdain for things he disapproves of, but I trust him more than most.”

"Then, if I may, I would like to ask about something you mentioned just a moment ago. You said that 'before now, you hadn't had the opportunity'. Why is now any different than before?"

Cinder-Fur wasn’t crude enough to say that he hadn’t had the tools- but it wasn’t far off. “We have been in a fairly consistent period of growth since the plague subsided and the war ended. Much of this has come with restructuring ways we do business and maintaining unity between regions and Clans. The festival was my first travel outside of the swamps since we took the citadel.” The Grand-Boss explained. “My trip to Akamu allowed me to gauge a few things- public reaction to the concept of nezumi on a diplomatic visit, and how the new queen was coping. I had met her parents early on, and they were less than pleased with some changes to trade arrangements that came as a result of our regime change. The same general attitude was shared through the other two kingdoms as well, of course- the old empire bent over backwards to please its neighbors in exchange for the ruling class’s own luxuries.” Cinder continued. “I think the queen is young, which is both good and bad, and will grow into the role with time, but the looks we received were telling, both of the nature of many of the people in Akamu, and of how nezumi are viewed by outsiders.”

There was a little ruckus from inside the kitchen, and Cinder-Fur turned his head. “Lost-Eyes, you better not be telling them they missed spots they’d already cleaned.” He called out, causing the commotion to die back down after a moment.

“Where was I… right, right. Well, I was ready to simply take things as they were and return home, but your approach did present an opportunity.” Cinder resumed. “Though I don’t believe your people necessarily share your idealism.” He finished. Truthfully, he had long ago begun to suspect that passively expecting outside perception of Mirelands culture to change was foolish- they would have to be proactive in making gestures or manipulating foreign public opinion directly- and a permanent diplomatic post wouldn’t be a bad place to start.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:41 pm 
World Manager

1st Year (1)

The Grand Boss's response, both to the attempt on his life and Kalani's following question, confirmed much about him that she had hoped was true. He held respect for outsiders and showed legitimate concern for his own people's relationships with them - two traits which were all too often at odds with the increasingly warlike nature of the Nezumi. Most importantly of all, however, was that he seemed willing to risk the consequences of opposing that nature in the pursuit of positive change. She hadn't overlooked the way that he separated his own opinions from those of his people, particularly because it was something she frequently caught herself doing under the same circumstances.

Cinder-Fur was quickly proving himself to be exactly the sort of ally she needed. Possibly, he even thought the same of her.

Kalani sighed. "I wish that they would, but all I need is for them to lay their misconceptions to rest. Even in the outer islands where we deal with Nezumi traders every single week, they are treated with hostility and suspicion. We are faced with a conflict where both sides hiss and snarl at illusions of their own devising, ignorant of the true nature of the 'enemy' they are so quick to hate."

"That goes both ways," Cinder-Fur responded. "I told you of the rumors regarding your people's involvement in the plague. That comes from inherent distrust of anything foreign. It isn't unreasonable, of course - not after the old empire. It's a balance of making sure the young remember what we fought for and finding a way to get rid of the inherent hatred," he explained. "It'll take time, anyway."

"It will take more than time," the ambassador retorted. "Without something to challenge their version of the truth, neither of our people will ever think to change their ways. In fact, I suspect this may be why the Council of Mages chose me to speak on their behalf instead of one of my more experienced peers. If their aim was to be inoffensive, they could have sent an Eitan, and..."

She lifted a hand up to rest in front of her own face. "...Someone without my particular condition."

"Well, I have teasingly courted Lady Pale Fur for some years, albinism is not something I find particularly troublesome. Perhaps that's just a Flint-Sickle's pragmatism overcoming long-held superstition.” Cinder-Fur replied, gaze flicking to Lost-Eyes as she returned before returning to Kalani. “Red fur has a storied history in our culture and is exceedingly rare, and before my time was regarded poorly. Even in my adolescence, it was a subject of some mockery and disdain.” He continued. “Traditionally, it is a marker of an impure bloodline. Somewhere in my past, an ancestor or two must have taken a mouse as a mate. For my daughters to have also all inherited the rare fur color, the same must have been true of my wife.” He explained. “In our culture, you might understand why this would be viewed as a weakness. The war helped change public perception of that, and now the world is a much better place for my daughters. Their fur is a sign of beauty, not of impurity.” The Patriarch explained - he wasn’t even sure, really, if Lost-Eyes or Dusk-Walker would have known of that perception. By the time Cinder-Fur had taken his seat as boss of the Flint-Sickles, it had dwindled much because his ears were everywhere, and it became unwise to speak ill of his heritage.

“Of course, I know very little about my parentage, so I could never know for certain.” Cinder-Fur finished. He could hear the bat chirping orders at his aides in the back, and the sloshing of new water in the basins.

“As for who else they might have sent, well, given that we trade less with Olahn Korlarin then we ever have, their previous choice was obviously terrible at his job. That, or mages have so enlightened themselves with magic that they no longer need grain and rice to feed themselves. Wouldn’t that be something?” the Patriarch laughed.

Kalani gave him a polite smile, but the joke struck much too close to truth for her to laugh back. "Closer to what some of us believe than you may think, Grand Boss. I do appreciate your sentiment, but it is not you whom I worry about my presence offending. For instance..." she said, turning towards the old rat's two companions, "you two must think I came here to try and manipulate your leader."

Both of them had been observing the conversation - the black one watching her very intently in particular - and were rather surprised to have suddenly become the focus of attention. Lost-Eyes hesitated to answer, but Dusk-Walker was not so guarded.

"Yes. You say it, but this does not make you wrong," he hissed back at her. It was the first time she had heard him attempting to speak the common tongue, and his accent was remarkably strong.

“This is why Dusk-Walker does not participate in diplomatic proceedings... but his blunt honesty is quite useful when it comes to friendly advice. I know what my people think - I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t in tune with what my people thought,” Cinder-Fur explained with a polite but firm tone. He looked to Lost-Eyes.

The Sky-Piercer didn’t need further prompting. “The old bat said he’d be ready with the tea in a few minutes.”

“He may not be Nezumi, but that ‘old bat’ has more history to his name than Hook-Tail has legends to his. You are not the sort to be careless with your tongue. Do not take up the habit now,” Cinder-Fur responded plainly, but gentle nuance in his tone and decision to use Nezumi tongue made it apparent to both Dusk-Walker and Lost-Eyes that he was less than pleased. “I hope you didn’t rush him. It would be a shame if the tea was less than his perception of its ideal.”

The Grand-Boss stood and walked a little towards the door. “If Tea-Fur returns, tell him I’ve stepped out for a smoke,” he continued. “And both of you may as well speak with Kalani some on your own. When she is serving her diplomatic function here, you both and Hard-Heart are responsible for her safety. You can work out the details of that among yourselves when we get to Black-Rock,” he added, speaking in nezumi-tongue before switching back to common speak. “Excuse me a moment, Kalani,” he finished, fishing a long wooden pipe from his belt pouch.

All three of them were silent as Cinder-Fur departed, and they remained so for quite some time afterwards. Dusk-Walker closed his eyes and entered some sort of meditative trance almost immediately, while it appeared that there was simply nothing Lost-Eyes intended to say. Kalani studied them both for a while, but did not believe that she could force the two rats to take a liking to her by being the only source of conversation in the room.

...Eventually, however, she did begin to speak.

"When I was a young girl, most of the children in my district avoided me. It was my eyes, I think, which unsettled them, but... regardless of the reason or their intentions, I spent my growing years either alone or in the company of adults instead of those my own age. My parents were often busy with their work, so this could be nearly anyone on a given day - well, anyone who had the time to entertain an inquisitive kit with more questions than common sense, at least," she quietly chuckled. As expected, there was little reaction.

"...This all took place soon after your people's revolution, but since my family managed its own trading business, Nezumi were still a regular sight in our home. I was warned against speaking to them, of course; my father believed that doing so would offend his partners, while most of the other adults were simply afraid of what terrible lies the swamp-dwellers would fill my head with if given half the chance. Neither worry was enough to keep me inside when I began to grow lonely, however, and I was not tightly supervised. I prefer to think that I was more curious than I was rebellious, but I certainly did not see the same danger in talking to rats that everyone else did. To me, they and I seemed very much alike - avoided because of qualities we were born with, for reasons we barely understood. I didn't- ah."

She paused as Tea-Fur entered the room with two of his servants in tow. Between the three of them, they carried trays supporting a fresh pot of tea, a set of clean cups, and another assortment of sweets, just like they had served previously. As they busied themselves with preparing the table and setting the old dinnerware aside to be removed, Kalani spared another brief glance at Lost-Eyes and Dusk-Walker. The latter hadn't seemed to notice the interruption at all, while the former maintained an unreadable expression.

"The Grand Boss has stepped outside for a moment to smoke," she explained to Tea-Fur, indicating the spot where Cinder-Fur's axe lay resting against the wall. "I was just telling these two the story of the first true friend I ever made, if you would care to join us."

“I did not mean to interrupt you, my apologies. I am a little frazzled, given the circumstances,” he responded, breath hitching quietly as he got down onto his knees at his appropriate place and dismissed his servants after they’d put what they carried on the table. “Do continue, though. I traffic in life stories in addition to tea,” he offered amicably, but the older bat definitely seemed worn somewhat ragged now.

The ambassador gave him a sympathetic look. "If you would rather talk about what just happened..."

"It isn't something to be discussed, beyond praise for the Grand-Boss's mercy," he responded after a moment of thought.

"Very well," she answered. "Then, as I was about to say, I knew next to nothing about the customs of the Nezumi at the time, and made quite a fool of myself sneaking about the island in search of one..."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:09 pm 

Best Couple (1)

To say that White Shadow was intrigued was an understatement. Not only was the Grand Boss having a pleasant conversation with an albino foreigner, but if her eyes had not deceivered her, had shown mercy to a would-be assassin. This, might be a problem. Not to herself of course, but she worried what the council might think. Would they view it as weakness, this was very possible from what she knew of the trio. Or they could let it be, understanding that what the Boss did he viewed the best for his people. She doubted very heavily that they would frown on interaction with a magic user, even if she was albino. It was a she right? White Shadow could sometimes have a hard time telling the gender of some of the other species, being surrounded by mostly nezumi her entire life. No matter, what the council thought of this all wasn't her decision but theirs, she just had to report it.

It was at this moment that she noticed the Grand Boss leaving the tea shop. Should I speak to him? The council didn't forbid her, exactly, from speaking to the Boss herself. But they would prefer me not to become biased in my report... Shaking her head, she made her way up onto the roof of the establishment, sneaking across without making a sound, something she had picked up many years ago. The moment a trail of smoke appeared, she saw why she left...He's thinking, or giving time to see what this foreigner might do while he is gone, hard to tell. With that, however, she made up her mind. She was just too curious. Once she got to the edge of the roof she sat down, legs daggling loosely over the edge, and began to swing them. To some it would looke child like, but in reality she was staying in a battle ready mind, using the rythmic motion to help her jump forward or backward instantly if under attack.

Once she was settled, she looked down at Cinder-Fur. She had always been impressed by how he carried himself, never letting his age reveal itself fully. Almost as if in a constant state of challenging others, something she was sure his rivals were very aware of, what few of them remained. After waiting a moment, to let his smoke drift past her, she decided to speak. "I assume you've known I've been following you for quite some time, Grand Boss." She wasn't a fool afterall, a leader like him wouldn't live long without developing a very strong awareness of would-be attackers. "So, I have a question for you, why are you speaking to this sunless foreigner?" She hated that terminology, but in order to not completely give away who she was it was best to pretend to be something she wasn't...a bigot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:36 pm 
World Manager

Supporter (1)

Cinder-Fur took a lungful of the heady smoke and exhaled it back out steadily. The weight of what he wanted to do often troubled him- almost enough to make him think his worries during the war were foolish by comparison. His people had accomplished so much, but there was still very much work to do.

Cinder-Fur shook some ash from his pipe. He was becoming quite sure he would have to do much of that work on his own.

Kalani certainly presented an opportunity and seemed to have serious desire for change, but the things that seemed to give her perspective was also going to be an additional hurdle to public acceptance of any further association with her. She didn’t have Pale-Fur’s advantage of a reputation to endear her to the people. She didn’t even have the luck of being Nezumi. After what the old empire had been, the risk of alienating the people was distinctly possible simply by fraternizing with her. He only had his reputation, or his ‘legend’ as his son described it, to act as a buffer against that.

His apparent stalker’s decision to finally show her face properly was not unexpected- his actions usually drew attention. Her question was particularly amusing, too. “That is a curious question from Hook-Tail’s white-furred runaway.” Cinder-Fur responded, taking a puff from his pipe. “But because I figure you’ll be making a report to the Council, it would save me some time fielding too many questions from them.” He responded. “I am in the company of a diplomat because though the revolution may be behind us, I am not blind to our continued difficulties. We have to take into consideration things outside our own borders now.”

There was a mess of smoke and a rush of air, and the heavy thud of something hitting the dirt nearby. Cinder’s axe was sticking out of the dirt nearby. “It seems that Dusk-Walker is still concerned with my safety.” The Grand-Boss mused, walking over to the axe, and looking inside to see a bit of smoke. He hoped the Mire-Shadow hadn’t caused too much fuss for Tea-Fur.

"My opinions on foreign policy are not shared by many of our kind, and I understand that quite well. My goal is simply to leave things better than I found them once I’m gone, and leave a clear path for improvement.” The older rat offered. “Though really, that’s not very simple in practice.” He chuckled. “Next time you’re abroad, try talking to some of our kind elsewhere and see how we are treated by foreigners, and maybe you’ll understand what I’m getting at. I’ve the luxury of being too old, and old Nezumi tend to learn the value of diplomacy. Flint-Sickles, anyway. Mire-Shadows always seemed more partial to the value of blood.”

The Grand-Boss shook some ash from his pipe and grabbed his axe. “Is there anything else you are curious about before I go back to my tea?”

--

"...And after a half-day of insistent pleading, he finally surrendered and sat me down on a bench to tell the first story from the Mirelands that I had ever heard. I doubt I'll ever forget it - 'The Legend of the Black Axe'. At the time, I believed every word, even when he claimed that the smith who created it struck a blow so mighty that it cracked the very foundations of Black-Rock citadel. He made your kingdom sound like such an incredible place, and one he was unsurprisingly very proud of as well. You must understand, of course, that my people's storytellers are much more modest; we rarely exaggerate the events of our history, so I had been expecting to hear nothing but the honest truth." The diplomat explained. Tea-Fur gently tended the coals underneath the warming grill in the middle of the table as she spoke, but listened intently.

“We tell that story too, actually.” Tea-Fur responded. “And similar ones. Weapons hold a less revered place in our culture than they do in Nezumi life, but we still admire craftsmanship. When I was little, I heard stories of my great-great-grandfather, Tea-Fur, who placated an Akamu dragon with a bowl of tea.” The old rat chuckled. “It was a secret herbal concoction, we were told. The herbs were rare then and rarer now, but when boiled hot, the steam was enough to get a dragon to disobey its rider and come to eagerly drink.” He explained. “And then they’d just curl up and sleep. Usually boiling the tea would be unfavorable- despite being a drink, tea burns in water that’s too hot. Dragons like the burned taste, I suppose.” He suggested with another quiet laugh.

Tea-Fur’s gaze fell on Dusk-Walker for a while, watching him meditate. “That meditation technique reminds me of our ways of worshipping the Kami.” He explained. “It is very old, my great uncle used to meditate that way for long periods to talk to the kami of night.”

By all accounts, Kalani seemed to be greatly enjoying Tea-Fur's company. It was clear that she had been eager to speak with a bat who possessed knowledge of their culture as it differed from the Nezumi for quite some time, and she made little effort to disguise her curiosity. Her tail had begun to slowly wag back and forth against the floor, but she was either too distracted to notice or simply unconcerned that anyone else might do so.

"Perhaps we could share stories in greater detail later?" she asked him hopefully, following his gaze towards Dusk-Walker. "I am familiar with a wide variety of meditative techniques, but... I have never witnessed one quite like his before. Then again, I have only heard passing mention of the Kami during my travels. Finding bats willing to talk about such things is difficult, and regrettably tangential to the usual goals of my work. If what you say is true, though, why would a Nezumi adopt the practice?"

Tea-Fur smiled and tapped one of his wing claws on the table. “To a bat, your gods are merely part of a larger picture.” Tea-Fur explained. “Though we revere names, bats are extremely concerned with humbleness. How this has to be phrased is impolite, but… well, you have that young girl’s curiosity about you, so I suspect you’ll take it well.” The old bat continued. Two servants came from the kitchen with plates of vegetables and meat- what Kalani may recognize as flesh from a large beetle that was raised like a pack animal in the swamps, but tasted much like lamb- and set the plates next to their master.

“Bats believe that the gods are just kami with a heightened sense of self importance. In effect, we think they’re a bit full of themselves.” Tea-Fur chuckled. “Which I suspect is some variety of heresy in some circles, but it has been true of our kind since the beginning. Surely there are Kami of such large scale, but there are many smaller ones. Some are benign, some benevolent, and others are of a more hungering nature.” The bat elder explained. One of the servants knelt down- a young ferret girl- and began to delicately assemble the skewers with practiced hands. “For example, the first Tea-Fur built this plantation and tea house, and by honoring tea with his life, this place is as much a temple to the Kami of tea leaves as it is my home.”

Tea-Fur pointed at one set of root vegetables- some native form of garlic, and the ferret nodded and started adding that to the skewers. “Your gods are given as much deference and worship as anything else the Kami occupy. No more or less. As for why this one is meditating? Well, my mother used to say ‘One who asks why a Nezumi does something is a fool, one who asks why a Ninja does something is a dead fool.’ I really wouldn’t venture to explain their actions.” Tea-Fur explained.

Next he motioned to a yellow, star-shaped fruit that Kalani had never tasted. The servant began to delicately add pieces of it to the skewers as well. “I must say, you have a way about you- it’s quite rare that young ladies like to listen to stories from old men. I imagine it makes you quite endearing in your profession.” The old bat offered with a smile. “Allow me to offer a story, then, in return for your own.”

Tea-Fur watched the servant lift a thick wooden piece of the table to reveal a pit with smoldering coals and an orderly metal grate over it. She gently lade the skewers on it one by one. “Ah… one with the Kami, then. To sate your curiosity a bit further.” He suggested. “Old bat beliefs tell of a time where bats were as favored by the Kami as your people believe yourselves to be- imbued with divine power and the ability to shape it. But we weren’t as we are now- we were a small group of mountain rats.” Tea-Fur explained, watching Lost-Eyes who didn’t even so much as scoff.

“But we liked dark places, and soon we took to living in caves, away from the eyes of the gods. The sulfur that makes many of our mines so famous was thought to be repulsive to the divine, but instead, we found something else in the dark- other voices that sang and called to us, beckoned us deeper.” Tea-Fur explained. “Gone from the Kami above and their magic and watchful eye, these deeper voices spoke to the greatest of us and preached greatness in return for little. Power beyond what we had seen mages sling with reckless abandon in their early days.” Tea-Fur continued, he held a wing gently over the grill to shield the others from the heat and began to flap the end of his other one quickly, fanning the coals. The ferret girl rose and left to the kitchen after a sidelong glance from Tea-Fur.

“Another Kami could see that we would be tempted by these offers- back then, Nezumi were fragmented. None of the great nations of this era had come to exist yet, and in the swamps, the great unity of the people wasn’t even a consideration yet. Power was the only currency- power meant survival. But the other Kami, the Kami of Wind, could see us in the dark, feel us with her delicate touch of breezes into deep caves.” Tea-Fur continued. There was a quick, quiet chopping sound from the kitchen as the door opened and a different servant took a pot of tea into the other room. “She warned us that the things in the dark had great costs for their gifts, and soon they asked us for payments of blood and life.” The old bat continued. “And we were sorely tempted. The Kami of Wind called us again, beckoned us from our caves, and we heeded her call. We stepped back out of the darkness and into the sight of the Kami of the surface. We carried with us the great shame of our temptation to forsake the other Kami for the ones of Shadow and Blood.” Tea-Fur continued. “The Kami of Wind was gentle and more benevolent than any Kami elsewhere. She loved us for having answered her call.”

Tea-Fur raised his wing a little and squinted at the coals before nudging the skewers over with a wing-claw, turning them just so. The room was heady with the smell of sweet fruit and cooked meat, and there were delicate lines of char on the upturned side of the skewers. “We were burdened by our shame, and willfully gave up the favor that the Kami, your gods, had given us. The Kami of Wind and the Kami of Shadows talked, and knew that we revered them both and all- and the Kami of Wind, in her generosity, changed us when we were at our basest. She made us bats so that we may fly and commune with her in her embrace and feel her whispers, and speak with each of her children, the Kami of the Four Winds.” Tea-Fur explained with a smile. “The Kami of Shadow and stoked our love of dark places so that we would not forget that the voices in the shadow would always whisper to us if we listened. Some of us were given hunger by the Kami of Blood, and left to the south. The drink their meals from bowls hewn from cave stone- the blood of animals and sometimes, criminals, if they can be bargained away from Nezumi prisons.”

Tea-Fur waved his wing quickly to stoke up the coals again. He lacked any hint of fatigue after all the exertion. “I have a cousin who is of the Blood Tribe.” Tea-Fur explained. “He taught me to meditate and commune with the Kami of Shadow, and I give him respect as I do the Kami of Tea, and Wind, and Sun, and Water. Each time we meditate we can feel the whole world, a hive of Kami, writhe and whisper, yearning for those to listen. This is why we must be humble- we must honor the shame of our heritage and bow graciously at the gift of our wings from the Kami, and our ears, and everything that makes us bats.” Tea-Fur explained. “Even the fiercest hunter of the Blood Tribe is humble and gives his thanks to each Kami he can. These are old ways, yes, and this is the oldest story of us- from time before written history, whispered back to us when forgotten by the Kami of Memories so we can remain true to ourselves.” The old bat explained, lifting his wing back and turning the skewers slightly before the ferret girl returned, plates with small bowls of some tangy-smelling fruit and sauce presented before each guest.

Lost-Eyes spoke up after a moment. “The Nezumi have no gods.” She said plainly. “Nor do we revere Kami. This is something the Grand-Boss is passionate about.”

Tea-Fur bowed his head. “We are simply telling stories, Sky-Piercer. No offense was intended- and our faith demands that we not force our beliefs on others. Converting another to one’s faith is the ultimate act of conquest- the destruction of their culture. It is perverse to us.”

The ambassador was not bothered by Lost-Eyes' interruption. In fact, when she looked at the rat, she appeared to be smiling. "I was wondering what might tempt you into joining this discussion," she said, making an effort to sound pleasant rather than mocking. "Would you mind terribly if I asked you to explain why your people are so adamant about their rejection of the gods?"

Lost-Eyes didn’t respond for a while, and Kalani piped up again. "It needn't be a story.”

The Nezumi finally responded with “Like I said, it’s something the Grand Boss is passionate about. Ask him when he comes back.”

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:27 pm 

Best Couple (1)

White Shadow couldn't help but blush slightly beneath her mask from embarrasment. Why she thought she could fool someone like Cinder-Fur she had no idea. It was due to his skill level that she had bothered with revealing herself in the first place. I really can be brain dead at times. A soft sigh left her lips before her breath caught in her throat, the sudden appearance of the Grand Boss' prized weapon catching her slightly off guard. Noticing the billowing smoke from where the axe had come from, she tensed slightly knowing what had happened. Dusk-Walker, you terrify me still. Slowing her heart rate she realized that the Boss was currently addressing her. "Well..." What could she further ask him, she had assentially already answered what she needed to know in order to give context to his meeting with the foreigner inside the tea shop. But I could go with him to find out more about this diplomat. That thought briefly froze her thoughts. Just what was she thinking, she should be reporting back to the Council with what she knew. But on the other hand, the more she could find out now the less she had to investigate later. Leaning over the edge, she caught sight once again of the albino inside the establishment. Why her though, if he wanted to improve relations between us and the other nations, why did he choose someone so...controversial? She sighed knowing that what she was about to suggest wasn't the smartest thing she's ever done. "Grand Boss, with your permission, I would like to accompany you inside in order to better understand your actions today."

As she waited for him to respond she couldn't help but begin to have second thoughts on her reaquest. Shaking her head of the doubt that began to well up she noticed a stark silence from the Grand Boss. Why hadn't he responded yet, was she being too forward? Once again her entire body tensed, remembering the axe now in his hand. Was he contemplating making an example of her? She took a deep breath, waiting for whatever was to come. After what felt like eternity to the albino Cinder-Fur finally responded, "That would be fine, so long as you show proper manners. With Hard-Heart gone to take my would-be-assassin for his punishment, there is a seat at the table you might take- if you promise to be polite, of course." She nearly leapt from her spot in joy, not from his confirmation of her being allowed to join him, but from the lack of her sudden demise. Collecting herself, she smiled slightly before responding, "Of course, Grand Boss."

With that she gently landed next to the man she looked up to, even if from afar. But now that she was next to him, at a respectable distance of course, she couldn't help but further admire him. His advanced years barely even showed, he was still a figure that many a warrior would be jealous of. Experience far beyond even his years could be seen just by a glance into his eyes. With a small shake she recalled where she was and looked back inside the tea shop. No time like the present. Quickly, but calmly, the two began to make their way inside.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:59 am 
World Manager

1st Year (1)

In his meditative state, Dusk-Walker "saw" when Cinder-Fur exited the tea shop, and he could likewise "see" his albino clanmate creep across the roof in the same direction shortly afterwards. His reaction was not outwardly visible - indeed, he was effectively cut off from his own body and could neither hear the Boss's guest drone on, nor emote to the stimuli he was receiving - but he found the situation to be as predictable as it was infuriating. The old rat must have seen it coming, too, to have saddled him with a responsibility like listening to the foreigner talk the instant he entered the tea shop. If it was intended as some sort of punishment, it wasn't working. If Cinder-Fur thought he could escape his own bodyguard's protection, he had failed at that as well. Perhaps Tea-Fur's assistants were less than pleased to see smoke in the hallway, but it cleared quickly and they were in no position to complain.

He allowed his regular consciousness to return once the two of them were back inside, just in time to take a long sip from his bowl of tea so that it did not appear completely neglected. The taste was agreeable; for tea, at least, which he disliked on principle.

Kalani, for the most part, had begun to taste the fruit in front of her while watching Tea-Fur prepare the skewers. She was somewhat disappointed by Lost-Eyes' dismissive manner, but didn't wish to risk offending the sniper by pressing the issue. It was one of many things she told herself that she would speak to the Grand Boss about in the future - and preferably in private, even if it seemed that the Sky-Piercer would not react to becoming a topic of conversation.

The silence in the room did not last long, and Kalani was spared the burden of breaking it a second time when Cinder-Fur returned through the doorway in the company of an unfamiliar guest. The rat, which was nearly the only aspect of this stranger's appearance that an observer could be certain of, wore extensive coverings complete with a hood and mask, and glanced warily about the room as though they were in danger and searching for a suitable exit. Dusk-Walker growled faintly while Kalani simply tried to avoid staring.

"Welcome back, Grand Boss," the ambassador began, setting down the food she was holding. "I see you brought back company."

Cinder-Fur nodded before taking his place at the table and directing White-Shadow to sit wherever she felt appropriate. "Yes. This is another from Dusk-Walker’s clan - she has been following us since the festival," he explained. "I figured that if she was to make a report to the Council, she might as well be inside and hear what we’re talking about. Safer than her making any assumptions, I think."

"In that case, welcome to you as well, miss." Kalani smiled, pulling her bowl of tea closer. "I understand that your kind prefer not to be asked questions, but if I can help clarify anything about myself, I would be happy to do so."

After looking slightly annoyed, the ninja breathed slowly before taking on a more neutral expression, "I’m simply an observer, I do not wish to interrupt anything you may have already been discussing."

"As you wish," Kalani answered. She always found it regrettable when others chose not to communicate with her, but there was little that could be done about it other than to keep White Shadow comfortable and remain patient. In the meantime, she turned her attention back towards Cinder-Fur. "Lost-Eyes tells me that you are very passionate about your peoples' independence from the gods. I have heard this sentiment before, but most Nezumi doubt my ability to understand it. Admittedly, I worry sometimes that this is just another manifestation of their prejudice."

"Worship of the gods was imported from foreign lands by the old empire as a means of societal control, hoping to make the Mirelands more appealing to island folk," Cinder-Fur explained. He reached forward and took up his cup of tea, delicate and clear with a very faint, earthy scent. He couldn’t help but smile slightly.

"Reminds me of what my old instructor used to drink, when I first started in the Flint-Sickles." Cinder-Fur explained. "And nostalgia is a high compliment, Tea-Fur, though I suspect your brew is better."

The old bat bowed his body somewhat, but kept his face raised as a show of respect. "Thank you, Patriarch. You flatter an old man."

Cinder-Fur took a sip before returning the cup to its place on the table. "Well, I have it on good authority that old men do sometimes enjoy recognition for their achievements," he mused before looking at Kalani.

"If the gods are real, they have never performed a kindness for our kin. No god came down from his lofty perch to stop the plague from rotting the heart of our people away. No divine providence allowed us to reclaim our identity from an empire of fealty. Nezumi works are simply that - the work of Nezumi," he explained sternly. "This worldview is not mandated by Black-Rock or myself, but is adopted because it rings true to the Nezumi people who have lost so much, and are given nothing in return but what they can take or create. If a god came down from above and set foot in our swamps, I would cut him down myself for such an affront. They are unwelcome here." The Grand-Boss picked up his cup again as Tea-Fur’s assistant returned with a platter laden with bowls of spices and different sauces. "Whether they are real or not ends up being immaterial to me, and to most Nezumi. Real or not, Nezumi have no gods," the Grand Boss finished.

"So, they are unwelcome because you believe they rejected you first," Kalani pondered. "Yes, I see the problem already. How could a mage - someone who is spared hardship every day of her life by the grace of Isixius, possibly understand how it feels to face the harsh realities of the Greatmire alone?" She sighed, cradling her tea for a moment before taking a thoughtful sip from the bowl. "I'm afraid my friends were right. I could spend a lifetime here and I would still be a foreigner."

"Well, I suspect you understand the difficulty such a difference in opinions can cause," Cinder-Fur responded after a moment. He watched the tray of spices as it was brought near the grill and Tea-Fur’s assistant began to season the meat. "Do you really think it’s something that can be overcome by any means beyond the complete subversion of one belief system by another?"

She looked at the old rat as though he had said something strange. "That is why you and I are here, is it not? To find a way? You, I, your daughters, the Council of Mages... it is our responsibility to reach a solution that allows our people to coexist."

Cinder-Fur considered her response for a moment before deciding not to answer, instead taking a sip of his tea. After a short while he finally offered a word in reply. "Perhaps. It is worth the effort to try, anyway."

The Grand Boss's guest suddenly leaned forward as the true purpose of the evening's events began to become very clear to her, “If you would excuse my intrusion... you two wish to strengthen relations between our kingdoms?”

"Of course," Kalani answered, looking rather pleased to have drawn the furtive ninja's attention. "My apologies for not introducing myself immediately; I am Olahn Korlarin's ambassador to the Mirelands, Kalani Ostra Ya'Sima Solak Iz'Sigal, or in a less formal capacity, Kalani the White. Pleased to meet you."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:56 pm 

Best Couple (1)

While the Grand Boss and Kalani had been speaking on their opinions of the gods, White Shadow could only think of how bored she was. While the conversation dragged on an on she could feel her eyelids slowly closing. Subtly pinching herself was the only way she kept herself from falling asleep right in the middle of them all. Remember, repsectful, your in the presence of Cinder-Fur himself. But try as she might she couldn't help wanting to just lay down her head and dream of anything other than the bloody gods. Who cares whether they actually exist or not, I sure don't. With a quick glance though, her body slightly tenced. Noticing a Sky-Piercer as well as Dusk-Walker. She had noticed them earlier, reason she had immediately began scanning for the nearest exit, but noticing them again was proving to be a good distraction. Well now I definitely can't sleep, I suppose that works.

It was at this moment that her attention was brought back to the foreigner and the Grand-Boss as she realized they were discussing ways on improving relations between their kingdoms. So that's why she's here! Suddenly she leaned forward, as if her life depended on it, “If you would excuse my intrusion...you two wish to strengthen relations between our kingdoms?”

"Of course," the fellow albino answered, looking rather pleased to have drawn the White Shadow's attention. "My apologies for not introducing myself immediately; I am Olahn Korlarin's ambassador to the Mirelands, Kalani Ostra Ya'Sima Solak Iz'Sigal, or in a less formal capacity, Kalani the White. Pleased to meet you."

Now the assassin couldn't help but feel lost on what to reply. She should give the diplomat her name, but she wasn't sure if that would in line with the Council's wishes. She was already strechting their orders peramaters as it was. Better not to tempt fate. "Likewise." As she said this she kept her eyes locked with that of the foreigner, but only briefly, as if sizing her up. It was obvious she lacked extensive combat experience, but knowing that she was a mage made this observation less important, for those who could wield magic were often much more dangerous than they let on just by their nature. At least she's less of a threat than most of the Nezumi here. Pulling down her mask, she decided that since she was about to take part in the evening's dishes she might as well get ready. It wasn't until after she had done this that she realized just how exposed she felt. It had been a long while since she had let down her mask in the presence of others, causing her white fur to stand on end ever so slightly out of nervousness.

Taking a breath, she calmed herself enough to look less frazeled and decided to inquire further. "If the Grand-Boss will allow me, I would like to ask how Ms. Kalani woul attempt this." As she said this she looked over at the older nezumi, making sure not to look too long into his eyes; one could get lost in them, and come out mentally scarred by what they have seen.

Cinder-Fur seemed curious about how Tea-Fur was going about his food preperation, but was still attentive. "I invited you to be a guest at our table, White-Shadow. You may ask what you wish." the older rat offered, bringing his tea back up to drink.

The smallest of scowls glanced over the albino nezumi's eyes, so quickly most would not notice unless paying specific attention. By the time it had passed she was looking at the mage before her. "As I said, how would you accomplish this?" After she said this she took a small sip from the team before her, breathing in the calming herbal fumes.

Kalani was quite surprised, judging by the look on her face, though her reasons were far more ambiguous. "Oh, you're..." she began, but closed her mouth before she continued any further. "Well, to start, I believe that our two kingdoms are not sufficiently aware of each other. We have a history of trade, although even that has suffered greatly since your revolution, but the presence of my people in the Mirelands is close to nonexistent, and the same could be said of the Nezumi in Olahn Korlarin. With no representatives working between us, malicious rumors have spread unopposed and the already hostile perceptions our people hold towards each other have only grown worse."

She took another sip of tea and looked White Shadow in the eyes. "I intend to change this by becoming just such a representative. I will prove to the Nezumi that there is nothing they need hate my people for, even if it means opposing the qualities for which my people are rightfully hated."

White Shadow simply nodded as the foreigner, no, Kalani explained their intentions, or at least hers in greater detail. However, how she had begun this explanation caused the assassin some pause. What could've caused the diplomat to be surprised, nothing had really changed except. I pulled down my mask, she didn't realized I was an albino like her. She mentally facepalmed at the lasp in observance, having not remembered the true reason why she wore the mask so often. It had little to do with concealing her identity, but more so with hiding her omen riden coloration. But she couldn't be one hundred percent sure without asking the obvious, "If you do not mind me asking, Ms. Kalani, but you were about to say something before you gave that in depth explanation, would you mind completing that intitial thought for me? If not, I understand." With that last state ment she stared directly into the eyes of the fellow albino, awaiting her response.

Kalani studied the rat's face for a moment before she answered. "It is a rare thing for me to meet another albino, but to meet a Nezumi who regards my ideas with curiosity rather than indignation is perhaps rarer still. I was surprised by both," she said with a smile. "May I indulge my own curiosity for a moment, White Shadow?"

After regarding the mage for moment she gently nodded. "You may."

"Do you resent being 'different' from the rest of your kind?"

The question caught White Shadow so off guard she nearly spit out her current sip of tea over every nezumi and mage before her. After choking for a bit she squint her eyes shut from the pain before swallowing the remaining liquid, helping to calm her intitial reaction. After taking a moment to let the remedy sooth her she gave a critical look to Kalani, as if weighing what to say. In the end, she knew what she would say, and she hoped that those around her wouldn't do anything to her for it. "No."

"I'm sorry," the ambassador uttered almost immediately upon witnessing White Shadow's reaction. "That was much too personal, wasn't it? It's just..." she trailed off in search of the right words, but the answer she received was unexpected, and she completely lost track. "...Really?"

The albino assassin nodded slowly, taking a much less dramatic sip of her tea, choking on hold. "I could no more resent me being an albino, than resent who I am. And since I don't resent myself I can not, ever, resent my fur coloration." An almost smug look nearly developed on White Shadow's face before quickly being snuffed, she had to be at least aware of who else was in the room, quickly giving a glance at the other Mire-Shadow present. Council be merciful.

Last edited by skullheadsoldiers on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:21 pm 
World Manager

Supporter (1)

Tea-Fur was respectfully quiet during the exchange, fanning the small, cylindrical coals with his good wingtip. The smell of meat and vegetables was slight but present- the spices that his assistant had brought were much more fragrant, anyway. Garlic, honey, sesame, tare, and some small, red chilies. She also brought small bowls laden with cumin, star anise, a few curry powders, and a tiny dish of saffron fibers.

Cinder-Fur seemed visibly intrigued- enough to break his quiet contemplation of the current discussion. “Tea-Fur, is that… I’ve never seen raw saffron before.” The old rat said with a slight hint of wonder. “Where did you get it? I know it is exceedingly expensive.”

Tea-Fur nodded and beckoned for his assistant to place the platter next to him. “Dip those five skewers, please. For the rest, garlic and sesame. For the Patriarch, some chilies, please.” The old bat instructed. The delicate ferret girl did as asked without a word- despite his son’s outburst, Tea-Fur’s staff was exceedingly well trained. “I have it on good authority that you enjoy your meals spicy, Grand-Boss.”

Cinder-Fur placed his hands on the table. “And who might have told you that?” he asked, his tone betraying the levity in the question- even if he did seem honestly curious.

“Bone-Tail does not hold sake well, Patriarch. He also doesn’t pay debts well.” The old bat laughed. “But to answer your first question, Grand-Boss, yes, it is saffron. I purchased this supply last winter- traveling to Sky-Slab is safer when it is too cold for bandits to bother.” Tea-Fur explained. “My supplier is a Blood-Clan that lives in one of the valleys nearby. His mother and my mother were cousins. Still, it cost me two ingots.”

Cinder-Fur looked surprised. ”Two ingots of gold for that?” he quietly exclaimed in rat-tongue. “Do not waste it on me, then, Tea-Fur. I assure you my tastes are not significant enough to appreciate it.”

Tea-Fur laughed lightly. “Very well, Patriarch. Truth be told? I cannot stand the taste of saffron.” The bat explained. He watched another assistant, this one a young bat, bring a deep, earthen jar into the room, placing it by the ferret. Once he’d retreated, the young female took one skewer at a time and dipped them into the sauce in one fluid motion before placing them back on the grill. One after the other until all five were coated. “This is our house tare, mannen tare- ten thousand year sauce.” Tea-Fur explained. “But realistically, it is only cultured since my youth. My father, Tea-Fur, was not fond of cooking- merely of tea and confection.” The old bat explained with a chuckle. “As such, he was contemplative and fat. He was a better old man than I.”

Cinder-Fur took another sip from his tea and watched Tea-Fur cook. Sliced chips of garlic were slid onto other skewers, and sprinkled with sesame. One errant fan of Tea-Fur’s wing communicated the intense, focused heat of the coals. Cinder-Fur recognized them as a product of the lands beneath Sulfur-Peak, refined from oak wood, and so dense they were like glass. Tea-Fur spoke up again. “We have spent much time discussing differences, haven’t we? I imagine a good place to start, if you intend to foster cooperation, is not with what separates the swamps from the islands, and instead on what is common to all.” The old bat suggested. “A good story.”

Cinder-Fur placed his tea back on the table with a light tap. “That isn’t a bad course of action, Tea-Fur. You deal with foreigners more than myself, I suspect, given your profession. I defer to your judgment.” The Patriarch responded with a firm tone.

“You are too kind, Grand-Boss. I ought to be honest, though- the best payment for a meal is good company and a well-spoken yarn.” Tea-Fur laughed. “Would you tell us one, then? No war stories, not now. Something everyone whispers about.” The bat elder suggested.

Cinder-Fur considered the bat’s suggestion for a moment. “I take it you had this payment in mind from the start, Tea-Fur.”

“I am a businessman, Patriarch. Of course I considered payment.” Tea-Fur laughed. “Miss Kalani, I suspect, would enjoy hearing the source of a legend as well. She listens well- a good trait for a young person to have.”

Cinder-Fur nodded for a moment before his gaze drifted to his axe. “Perhaps the tale of how Earth-Splitter’s edge was marred by another blade? My duel with Pale-Fur?” Cinder suggested. “Ah, it makes me feel like a Sky-Piercer, talking of personal glory suggesting such things.”

Tea-Fur lightly turned some of the coated skewers and looked to Kalani. “Would such a tale be to your liking then, Miss Kalani?” the elder bat asked with a good-natured smile. He could see right through her, almost- her curiosity burned bright in his eyes.

"I would be delighted to hear such a story," she said, turning her attention away from White Shadow, though she clearly had been listening already. "It would not be the first time, but I'm sure the Grand Boss is less prone to... fanciful exaggeration than the storytellers I know, at least regarding his own history."

Cinder-Fur’s hand idly ran over the base of his axe’s shaft as he thought. “Very well. It certainly makes me feel old.” He mused lightly. “It was winter, the last winter before the revolution. We were a year out from our first battle.” Cinder-Fur began. “I had already taken my seat as Boss of the Flint-Sickles for some time. We had been refining some of my prototype gunpowder weapons for a few months. My predecessor treated the clan well, and we had ears everywhere within Black-Rock, and since I had come to power I spent much of my time expanding our network into the territory of the other clans. I hoped to determine whether or not they could be convinced to join the Flint-Sickles in open rebellion.” The Patriarch explained.

"Because, back then, the clans had diminished during the Empire’s ridiculous rule, we resorted to using mostly informants. This came to be a problem when my ears in Wave-Crash decided they would rather tattle to Pale-Fur than be employed by the Flint-Sickles. This enraged her immensely- back then, her rule over the clan was not as ironclad. Her fur color and gender made her position the subject of much criticism.” Cinder-Fur continued. “She demanded that I present myself at Wave-Crash, which I refused. To me, it was just business as usual- the clans had been reduced to petty diplomatic squabbles for decades. Pale-Fur was deathly serious, however, and hounded me for a month. I finally made the trip with a retainer of my best warriors- and a gift.” The Patriarch explained.

Cinder-Fur looked distant for a moment. “The plague was in full swing, too. My wife was ill-suited to the cold and came down with a cough close to Wave-Crash.” He explained. “It was not the plague, but it did weaken her lungs and enfeeble her enough that the plague afflicted her fiercely a year later.” The old rat explained. He paused for a moment, his flint-claw ring ringing a little as it ran over the hilt of his axe.

Cinder reached up and took a sip of his tea before continuing. “We reached Wave-Crash in the middle of a winter storm. Pale-Fur met us at the front steps of the school, with a squad of her favored retainers. She was holding the head of my informant and threw it at my feet.” Cinder-Fur regaled, chuckling a little. “He hadn’t even gotten paid yet. I wasn’t particularly bothered.” He continued. “And I would’ve had him killed myself.”

Cinder-Fur replaced his teacup. Tea-Fur had begun to slow his fanning, allowing the coals to begin cooling. The meat was almost cooked through, and the spices released their volatile aromas in a blooming waft of mouth-watering scent.

"What made her so angry?" Kalani asked, nursing her cup of tea. "To my understanding, Lady Pale-Fur has always been a close supporter of your views."

Cinder-Fur chuckled. “This is before I had the common sense to ask her what she thought.” He explained. “She was angry because she felt I was undermining the validity of her seat instead of coming to her as a colleague.”

"...And you willingly fought over this with sharpened weapons," the fox replied incredulously.

“Well, there’s no incentive to really care if they’re blunt.” Cinder-Fur said plainly. “She challenged me to a duel expect me to try and avoid it. I said yes immediately.” He explained. “Remember this- there is always value in defying expectation. She took this as another affront- like I was dismissing her as a threat.” The Grand-Boss explained. “Which is, of course, the opposite of what I intended to convey. I meant to show that I respected her enough to curtail to her demands. Angry people do not often notice subtlety of intention.”

Tea-Fur began to plate the food with the help of his ferret assistant as Cinder-Fur continued. “I had Earth-Splitter, so I readied myself. The fight would be difficult- she had both the high-ground and a camouflage advantage- her fur and her armor was white, and Sword-Breaker, her katana, was as silver as the moon. I had to track it by watching the black base of its hilt.” Cinder-Fur explained. “Because of Earth-Splitter’s weight, I knew it was better to let her try and get an early hit in and follow up with some momentum- she was nimble in her own right, and though Sword-Breaker is heavy, it is still a fraction of Earth-Splitter’s heft.”

Cinder-Fur watched Tea-Fur work as he spoke. “She did not hesitate. Pale-Fur is a ferocious woman, and she lashed out with a slash that may as well have been a gust of wind. I felt the sword-tip scrape my chest plate, too- if she hadn’t been so cautious of Earth-Splitter’s reach, she would have easily gouged my chest.”

As Tea-Fur’s assistants came from the back to help serve the meal, Cinder-Fur continued to explain how his duel went. “I spent most of the fight trying to get a feel for her sword’s reach so I could exploit it, but the weather wasn’t helping make that happen faster- she landed a good slash to my middle and nearly split armor- but she committed too much to the impact. Still, she’d showed that she was willing to go all the way to prove her point- it wouldn’t do for me to give any less in return.” The Grand-Boss explained. “So I brought the weight of Earth-Splitter’s shaft down on her wrists and leaned forward, kicking her back onto the steps behind her. This finally gave me a clean window to strike, so I brought the axe down overhand with both arms.” Cinder explained. “I knew full well that this would probably cleave her in two, or if she was a little faster, maybe take an arm off. I intended to rally the people behind my flag- I had to show that I would not tolerate someone disrespecting my abilities either. I wasn’t there to defend my seat on the Flint-Sickles- I was there to prove I could handle a more important position.”

Cinder-Fur nodded in thanks as a servant came around his side. All at once, the servants placed a plate before each participant- each plate was uniquely garnished with orchids and drawings made of spices. The smell of the food was practically intoxicating. “Thank you for such hospitality, Tea-Fur.” Cinder started, but the bat waved him off lightly.

“Thank me later, Patriarch. You can’t cut out at the climax.” He responded, prompting a chuckle from Cinder-Fur.

“Alright. When I brought the axe down, Pale-Fur moved to the side and held her blade up with both hands, at an angle. The axe hit the edge and, I suppose because of how cold the metal had become, there were was a tremendous racket. I cracked the hilt of her sword and she nicked the blade of the axe, but succeeded in deflecting its trajectory onto the stair next to her.” Cinder almost seemed embarrassed as he described it. “I may have also shattered her right elbow from the impact slamming it into the stairs. She never told me for sure. Either way, that was enough to end the duel. We considered it a draw, and we’d both proven our point well enough to one another.” Cinder-Fur finished. “After that, we talked, I gave her clan a gift- satchel charges of my own design, and I had my first ally in the coming rebellion- and perhaps one of my closest friends.”

Kalani looked pleased by the story- perhaps unexpectedly so for one so violent, although most Nezumi legends were. She caught herself leaning forwards, with her tail once again refusing to remain completely still. "Thank you, Grand Boss," she spoke, sincerely as ever. "All too often I hear the reason behind this tale neglected in favor of the conflict. I must confess, though, that if you make all of your friends over duels to the death, I shall have to take care to remain no more than a passing acquaintance."

Cinder-Fur smiled slightly, but didn’t respond as Tea-Fur spoke up. “I thank the Kami for this meal, the fire, and the spice. And I thank you all for being good company- please, eat. Mind the temperature.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:56 am 
World Manager

1st Year (1)

The meal that Tea-Fur served was, by any reckoning, excellent. Kalani had developed a taste for Nezumi cuisine that Cinder-Fur's daughters had been all too happy to indulge in the past, but the old bat's food was quite unlike anything she had tasted before. Whether it was the result of some generations-old family secret, his skill as a cook, the quality of his ingredients, or more likely some combination of all three, it was immediately obvious to her why the humble little tea shop had become as popular as it was. In fact, she was surprised to have never heard of it before, even if it was allegedly the Grand Boss's first visit as well; Tea-Fur was remarkably successful for a bat, and she made a point of knowing individuals whose talents earned them distinction in a culture that would normally prefer they be forgotten.

The thought made her wonder if it were what inspired such resentment in his son, but that was a matter to discuss in private, and only after Tea-Fur had enough time to come to terms with it by himself. Presently, she needed to focus on enjoying the food and the company, which was an easy enough task despite the disapproving stares of Cinder-Fur's two retainers. She had grown quite comfortable speaking to the Grand Boss already, even though his companions kept her mindful of her position.

"This is lovely, Tea-Fur," the fox began after finishing a bite from one of her skewers; insect meat, she could tell, of a common variety that was often seasoned to mask its rather mild flavor. "Thank you for receiving us so well on such short notice."

"I run a tea-house, miss. I would be ill advised to be unprepared to present travelers with whatever they might wish. At least as far as food and drink, anyway. Please, enjoy," the bat explained, standing with the help of his assistant and seating his crutches against his wings. "I ought to go check on my staff. They might be a bit behind after cleaning out the basins," he explained before adding, "with the Grand-Boss’s permission, of course."

The old rat nodded between bites. "Of course. Do come back, though, we have business to discuss," he responded. Tea-Fur smiled and hobbled past the table and out of the room, his servant staying tableside to attend to the group if necessary.

For a while the group ate in silence, more out of an appreciation for the food than any discomfort between its members, but it was obvious that Kalani could not simply let the rest of the evening pass quietly. Of her two appetites, only the hunger for conversation appeared to be truly insatiable, and not even cuisine of the highest quality could not distract her for long when she was serving as a guest of the Grand Boss himself.

"I have never been so fortunate as to enjoy an audience with the lady Pale-Fur before," she mused, still nibbling away at her skewer. "If you think she wouldn't mind... could you tell me what she is like, Cinder-Fur?"

Cinder-Fur thought for a moment, carefully choosing his words. "Pale-Fur is a very stern woman. This is not to say that she is incapable of softer emotions, but one doesn’t achieve that sort of standing in the Tarnished-Swords without being sharp," he explained. "She is wise and one of very few who could speak against a course of action I’d chosen and convince me to halt with a simple objection," he added, smirking with a fond, distant look. "Shrewd and tactful. We had a pact, her and I, that if I’d ended up dead during the war that she ought to take up the title of Grand Boss herself."

Kalani merely smiled back in response. "She has been an inspiration to me for a very long time. I used to study her exploits when I was younger, and tried to follow the example she set, although... I imagine we are not much alike even now. It would take a stronger person than myself, and more adversity than I have ever faced, to become someone quite so revolutionary."

She looked up from her meal to glance very briefly at Cinder-Fur himself. "...There must be many others who think the same about you."

Cinder-Fur paused in his meal for a moment before continuing. "I do not like to think of myself that way. Nezumi boast through titles, but humility in power is still important," the Grand-Boss explained carefully, considering the thought. "But I am old," he stated plainly. "Perhaps young men do have cause to look to their elders for the first time in a while, but that is not my doing. Not alone. I do not much like the thought of being a living legend - it steals credit from those who died before they had a chance to take such a title."

"It is very kind of you to consider your fallen companions," the fox uttered, appraising the rest of her plate, "and your modesty is admirable in its own right, but you cannot blame your people for praising the heroes who succeeded rather than the predecessors they never had a chance to know. Besides," she said, pausing to sip her tea, "you and lady Pale-Fur did more than just win the rebellion. Long before then, you fought a battle against discrimination, and earned the respect of a kingdom raised to hate you for the conditions of your birth. Think of yourself however you will, but that feat alone means more to me than any claim to glory you will ever possess. My admiration is yours, whether you wish for it or not."

Cinder-Fur took another piece of spiced meat into his mouth and chewed, considering Kalani’s reply. When he was done, he spoke again. "You again prove why you are a diplomat, Kalani. You have a silver tongue," he responded. "Lady Pale-Fur has had it harder than I have. I just end up being called mouse-born," Cinder explained. "But now my daughters can wear the color of my fur with pride and be praised for beauty. That does mean something dear to me, too," he added. "Though... I think it surprises me more that someone from outside the Wall would look to a Nezumi for inspiration for anything beyond cause for war. And of that, I am most grateful."

The ambassador's gaze fell to the floor, and for a time she neither spoke nor touched the food still resting on her plate. Eventually, she set it down on the floor beside her and cradled both hands in her lap together. "That is something that I prefer not to think about," she said, raising one arm high and using the other to hold straight the sleeve of her kimono. "That I could be the only one to see something so beautiful, and think of anything but the destruction of those who created it. Your people have taught me much in spite of all their secrets, Grand Boss," she smiled sadly. "Lady Pale-Fur's legends may not have aided in my studies, but I was glad to have them when the other mages challenged my beliefs... and when the Nezumi first recognized me for what I was." She glanced back upwards and gave the old rat gave a soft, earnest chuckle. "I suspect it would shame her to hear that someone with my skill at arms ever tried to follow in her footsteps, though."

"Tarnished-Swords are not like Sky-Piercers. Hook-Tail would be much more outraged if you tried to imitate his martial skill," Cinder-Fur responded with a smirk. "They are not very concerned with glory - if they were, they would not exist as a clan. Many Tarnished-Swords are former military that took... particular issue with their commanding officers. It is an older origin for many, but still happens from time to time. Now, they can afford to recruit off of skill and dedication, but the strained relationship between Tarnished-Swords and leadership is the core of why I needed Pale-Fur’s support. They are a clan founded by the rejection of unskilled authority. To have a Tarnished-Sword respect you enough to heed your advice is the closest thing Nezumi have to a high honor," Cinder explained.

Kalani nodded silently. As they represented a significant cornerstone of Nezumi politics, she was already well-acquainted with the nature of the four clans, and Cinder-Fur's description of them only served to confirm what she already knew. Despite her words, what truly concerned her was the difference in mentality between herself and a soldier - she did not imagine that her advice was anything the Tarnished-Swords cared to hear, and she certainly didn't believe that their leader would appreciate a diplomat's interpretation of her teachings.

"...And on the contrary - I imagine she would be quite amused by your relationship to her legend, as it were. Perhaps we might go visit Wave-Crash, yes? I wish to speak to Pale-Fur myself, and it isn’t wise to make her come to me too often."

The very thought made Kalani's posture stiffen and her ears and fur alike stand on end. "To meet with...? Oh, no," she said, shaking her head insistently. "I did not mean to suggest that I wished to meet her. On the contrary, I am entirely content with admiring the lady from a distance, where she need not know that I am anything more than a simple supporter of her ideas. Undoubtedly, she has duties to attend which are far more important than entertaining guests like myself, and... I should as well, if I'm to take up permanent residence outside of the citadel. There's no need for..."

She looked up and her ears lowered again, only stopping when the tips lay completely flat behind her head. Although she had only known him for a matter of hours, Cinder-Fur gave off the distinct impression of being someone whose course was not easily changed by sympathy alone.

"...Please, Grand Boss. It was enough to meet you today."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:27 am 
World Manager

Supporter (1)

Cinder-Fur managed a chesty chuckle in response. “So you are not unflappable. Good to know- some proneness to more emotional response isn’t a bad thing, from time to time, in a diplomat, and specifically in a mage.” The Grand-Boss explained. “Rumors of how magic works tend to craft a mental image for most Nezumi that mages are heartless, or somewhat monstrous. It is an idea common among younger groups that do not deal with port trade with your nation, or hadn’t ever interacted with its people.” He finished, his tone suggesting that the point struck him as ridiculous. “Nezumi are prone to gossip- we prize information and secrets, so knowing things is important… even if those things are incorrect.”

"Monstrous..." Kalani repeated to herself. "Yes, I am aware of these rumors. It saddens me to know that they are not entirely unfounded. When one's talent for magic is strong, it is easy to believe oneself above the world's problems - and at times, its laws. We do what we can to discourage such thoughts, but there will always be those who see themselves as superior to others, and seek to abuse their power for selfish ends."

“Gossip is gossip- no people is without its monsters.” Cinder-Fur responded easily. He picked up another skewer gently and rolled his shoulders. “It’s a tangent, but now I’m actually much more curious how my son will feel about me sending him a traitor as an unwilling recruit. The chemistry between his soldiers is something he maintains with particular care, and I suspect that Tea-Fur’s son will not be well received by Ember-Masks’s subordinates. I suppose this is the mind of an old Nezumi- gossip loses interest, and I dote mentally on the mood of my son and the perceptions of the people even during a good meal.” He rumbled, taking a substantial bite. “Ah well.” He sighed.

"Which do you consider more important?" the fox prompted. "His punishment, or his redemption?"

“If he is the sort of idealist he seems to put himself off as, his redemption and punishment are one and the same. Realizing that his anger could be used more productively, and that…” he trailed off for a moment. “Well, it comes across as hypocritical. We rebelled against our rulers. I do not fault him for thinking to do the same, I suppose. It is more that I want there to be an example that even those most adamantly opposed to Nezumi rule can observe change in policy. Before, he would’ve been killed immediately. He is a lesson to others- no matter which fate he chooses for himself from here.”

Kalani sighed. It was certainly a kinder fate than one in the bat's position could have expected, but she did not wish that anyone be made into an example against their own will, no matter the reason. "I would have liked to speak with him," was all she could bring herself to say on the matter. "In the company of soldiers loyal to your empire... I suppose I am curious, too. I know of your son's reputation, but how long will he or his comrades struggle for the sake of an outsider? One who hates everything they represent - who actively opposes their efforts to convince him that they are not the tyrants he believes them to be?"

Cinder-Fur was about to respond, but Tea-Fur’s quiet ferret assistant spoke up. “Commander Ember-Mask is known for having soldiers of many parentages. My cousin has served in his regiment for a few years.” She said before averting her gaze. “Apologies, Grand-Boss, it is not my place to speak.”

The elder rat was somewhat taken aback that the ferret had spoken up, but waved her off. “No, it’s fine. You’re actually better suited to talking of this than I am, it seems.” He responded in a slightly amused tone.

The ferret was quiet a moment longer before continuing. “Cousin’s unit is comprised of Nezumi, our kind, and some mice that make their homes north, in the colder parts of the country. Bats are attached to their unit, but because of their ability to fly and the delicate nature of their wings, they are especially valuable as scouts removed from active combat. Master Tea-Fur had such a duty in his youth.” She explained in a very precise, even tone. “Cousin often talks of how they all eat together and are encouraged to view each other as family. Such a concept isn’t only popular among Nezumi, miss. Many bats, and my people here, prefer to keep to ourselves as that is how it has long been done. It is different with Ember-Fur- cousin says such isolation is not tolerated, and is actively discouraged not only by the commander, but his regiment as a whole.” She explained, growing quieter as she heard Tea-Fur chattering aggressively in the back kitchen- which fell silent as the old bat pushed open the door back to their private room, hobbling in with typical composure and poise.

"Thank you," Kalani said, offering the ferret an apologetic nod for unintentionally leading her into what was sure to be some manner of chastisement later. "Welcome back, Tea-Fur. We were just speaking about Cinder-Fur's son," she added somewhat guiltily as the bat carefully seated himself.

“Well, as he relates to my son, I am sure.” Tea-Fur responded with a sigh. “I would like to apologize again, but I suppose there is little more to be said on the matter.” He explained with a brief glance at his assistant, who lowered her gaze.

Cinder-Fur sighed. “Mostly. It wasn’t a discussion meant to be rude, Tea-Fur. But yes, your son’s fate is meant to be… exemplary, in more than one way.” Cinder-Fur reasoned. “But much of it is up to him. My son has a great deal of patience for stubbornness, but for your sake, I hope your son learns to talk about his issues before trying to poison someone.”

Tea-Fur just nodded quietly before sighing. “Well… perhaps time in training will do the boy well. It suited me and my father, perhaps he is made for scouting too.”

"May I... request something of you, Grand Boss?" Kalani interrupted, albeit rather quietly.

Cinder-Fur chuckled. “Well, aren’t you getting familiar.” He responded with a playful glance towards Dusk-Walker. “But very well, let’s hear it, then.”

The fox shook her head bashfully, ears hanging low to match her gaze. She was fortunate enough to miss the hateful look that Cinder-Fur's retainer shot her. "...That was not my intention. It is simply... I believe I can help Tea-Fur's son, but I could not arrange such a meeting on my own."

“If that is the case, I suppose I could send you with Dusk-Walker on my fastest moth, and have you catch up with Bone-Tail.” Cinder-Fur replied. “So long as you return by nightfall Tea-Fur and I should be finished with our business.”

This time, Kalani did not look shocked at the Grand Boss's generosity - in fact, when she stared at him, her face was rather more fearful than grateful. As much as she wanted to trust him, it could not extend to his companions when they seemed more willing to see her dead than any threat they could possibly be assigned to protect her from. She opened her mouth to voice an objection, but Dusk-Walker rose to his feet in outrage before she could even begin.

"No," he stated with absolute finality in his native tongue. "You can order me to sit here and pretend it's fine that there are two Sunless in the room, but this is too far. I won't do it."

Cinder-Fur responded in their native tongue as well. “Disrespecting me in our native tongue in front of someone who obviously understands it does not endear you to me, Dusk-Walker. I’m partial to sending you just because it would make you angry now.” He replied firmly. “Or I could make a point of mentioning to Lady Pale-Fur that you have a taken up a particular fondness for chastising my dealings with ‘sunless’ and we might see if she takes kindly to the next time I send you to Wave-Crash to deliver a message.” He finished, smirking a bit.

"Disrespecting you?" the ninja spat back. "You disrespect me by expecting me to tolerate this mockery and resorting to threats when I refuse to take your abuse in silence! Is this how you would treat your own kind? As servants to fill the needs of your foreigner guests?"

“You are particularly petulant today, Dusk-Walker.” Cinder-Fur responded. “And you certainly forget exactly who it is you are talking to, and abuse the fact that I like you- otherwise I would have the Mire-Shadows send a retainer that understood the value of knowing the right venue for his complaints.” He continued. “But if sitting at my side is too much trouble for you today, that might be remedied easily. Go outside and watch the moths- when our business is concluded I’ll decide where we’re going.”

Dusk-Walker hesitated only for a moment before storming out of the room with a discontented hiss, his bladed tail flicking side-to-side dangerously as he entered the hallway.

Kalani was far more saddened than she was hurt by the outburst. Her ears sagged, and she avoided looking Cinder-Fur in the eyes when she spoke. "Please... if it causes this much trouble, I would prefer that you merely refused."

Cinder-Fur merely raised his cup lightly in Tea-Fur’s direction. “If you’d be so kind, Tea-Fur, I would have a cup of oolong while we talk.” He suggested, the old bat sighing and nodding, lifting a pot alongside the table with his assistant’s help. “See? At least I can make one decision today without someone suggesting the opposite.” He stated aloud, not looking to Kalani as he let the cup be filled. “Now then, business.” He added, resting the full cup on the table.

“How quickly can you prepare a ceremony for a meeting at Black-Rock?” Cinder asked.

“As quickly as you desire, Grand-Boss. My traveling to deliver it will take at least a day.” Tea-Fur responded.

Cinder-Fur grinned. “Now that is the right answer, bat.”